Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

balancing corsair with retracts dilema

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

balancing corsair with retracts dilema

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 12:45 PM
jetdeck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default balancing corsair with retracts dilema

hi guys, well here we go, i'll give as much info as I can, have a corsair with a 56 wingspan, the manual states 95mm CG, I have 2 other corsairs and the balance point on them is nearly the same, 4-4and a quarter inches. the one i'm working on balanced perfectly at 95mm, while on my greatplanes balancer, I put a bubble level attached to a small piece of plastic on center of fuse, and the bubble is right in the middle, plane is sitting level, didn't have to add any weight, NOW! with the radio on, I put the gear up, and of course it goes tail heavy, if I add weight to counter it and bring it back to a level position, when they were down, then it will be way nose heavy, I use change as weights, qrts, nickels dimes pennys, if I add about 10 qrtrs, it brings back level, are you with me so far, if I add all that weight, and don't want to use the retracts, for a couple of flites or so its gonna be way nose heavy, how do you set it up so the plane flys good whether the gear is up or down, oh, I fly all my planes on 6 chnl futaba fm radios, oh and forgot this corsair is electric, running a 4 series 3300, but again it balanced, what kind of weight should I start with. right now it sits level, I know it should sit a little nose heavy. sure do need some answers, thanks to all.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:09 PM
verbails

Default RE: balancing corsair with retracts dilema

Hi
Balance it with the gear retracted the shift forward when landing is fine you may land slightly faster but it's a warbird after all!

Chris
Old 05-02-2013, 02:10 PM
Dash7ATP

If your plane has retracts, it should be balanced with the gear up. What does the instructions say?Dash
Old 05-02-2013, 02:34 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jetdeck

hi guys, well here we go, i'll give as much info as I can, have a corsair with a 56 wingspan, the manual states 95mm CG, I have 2 other corsairs and the balance point on them is nearly the same, 4-4and a quarter inches. the one i'm working on balanced perfectly at 95mm, while on my greatplanes balancer, I put a bubble level attached to a small piece of plastic on center of fuse, and the bubble is right in the middle, plane is sitting level, didn't have to add any weight, NOW! with the radio on, I put the gear up, and of course it goes tail heavy, if I add weight to counter it and bring it back to a level position, when they were down, then it will be way nose heavy, I use change as weights, qrts, nickels dimes pennys, if I add about 10 qrtrs, it brings back level, are you with me so far, if I add all that weight, and don't want to use the retracts, for a couple of flites or so its gonna be way nose heavy, how do you set it up so the plane flys good whether the gear is up or down, oh, I fly all my planes on 6 chnl futaba fm radios, oh and forgot this corsair is electric, running a 4 series 3300, but again it balanced, what kind of weight should I start with. right now it sits level, I know it should sit a little nose heavy. sure do need some answers, thanks to all.

You want to fly some flights that "don't use the retracts"? Why fly around with the gear down? Is it gear that plugs in and out of the wing?

If it balances level with the gear up, and that's at 95mm, then you're good to go. The rule is to balance models equipped with retractable gear with the gear up. Smart money balances level, not nose heavy. Balance it level and you know the CG is where it should be to insure a safe maiden CG location.

You say "it should sit a little nose heavy". No, actually it should balance level. How it sits doesn't matter. If you are saying "sit" and meaning "balance", the rule is still the same. With your balancer positioned at 95mm, the plane should be level. Start with whatever weight it takes to do that (with the gear up).

Good luck.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:34 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Balance it gear up and level. Then fly it, if you dont like how it feels, remove a quarter at a time till it gets to the feeling you like, but dont go to far or bad stuff happens!
Old 05-02-2013, 03:57 PM
BubbasanJohn

Some planes,and plans balance with the gear up and some with the gear down. What do your plans say? +1 on balancing level provided the manufacturer got the CG,right. Troy built warns against esm ARFS recommended CG point. Just saying to be diligent. Nose heavy plane flies poorly, tail heavy plane flies one.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:18 PM
da Rock

Who is the model made by?

Jet Tech and FMS both list 56" Corsairs.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:12 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Balance with the gear up. A tail heavy plane is way worse than one a little nose heavy for landing.

If you want less of a change, fill your tank (assuming it is not electric). put the gear up, and then balance. You should still be a little nose heavy but not as much.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:23 AM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When you balance a alcohol burner you balance with the tank empty. Then you add 10oz to the nose before you fly it, that makes it much more nose heavy than with your gear deployed. On landing you land with 2-4 oz left in the tank and the gear deployed so the CG is always be forward of where you have it if you balance with the wheels retracted. So for people new to electrics I suggest balancing at the recommended cg then adding enough wt to move it forward 1/8 to ¼ in.. but that extra wt needs to be easily removable so once you start to get comfortable with the plane you can remove that extra wt till you get her to fly the way you want her too.

If I want to tweak the CG like I just suggested I normally cut one peace of lead that accomplishes the movement I want then screw it to the firewall with a little CA on the threads then you can remove it at the field snip a quarter of it off and screw it back down with a little ca on the threads again.

I believe you will find that a 90mm balance point with the wheels retracted will be right what you are used too.

Joe
Old 05-03-2013, 12:07 PM
ram3500-RCU

I agree and ususlly do. However, the corair is different in that the gear retracts aft.
I have never had a problem when balancing with the gear up though.

On another note, i wish guys would stop using toxic lead.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:49 PM
jetdeck

first off, to all members who have responded to my ?. I want to say THANK YOU!!!!  one person asked what plane it was and well I didn't say cause I didn't want to hear any negative comments, but here goes, it is the 1450 corsair with flaps and retracts, electric powered, and retractable tail wheel, it has a 4 bladed prop, a 4 series 3300 lipo, and its from, are you ready, from NITROPLANES, shhhhhhh, ok, I balance it with the gear up, right, with the gear down it balances right at 95mm like the instrucions say,but when I balance it with the gear up and add enough weight to bring it back to 95mm, wont it be overly nose heavy, like say for instance I wanted to fly it with the gear down, maybe there is a problem with them not retracting, for some reason, instead of going home, can still fly, but it will be overly nose heavy, I guess when you balance it with the gear up, your committed to flying it that way, am I right? oh and yes the plane is epo foam, have had other planes from nitroplanes and all turned out to be good flyers, I also did swap out the servos, on flaps elev rud ailr, the retracts in the plane are servoless, and also has working gear doors and nav lights
Old 05-03-2013, 01:53 PM
da Rock

with the gear down it balances right at 95mm like the instrucions say,but when I balance it with the gear up and add enough weight to bring it back to 95mm, wont it be overly nose heavy, like say for instance I wanted to fly it with the gear down, maybe there is a problem with them not retracting, for some reason, instead of going home, can still fly, but it will be overly nose heavy, I guess when you balance it with the gear up, your committed to flying it that way, am I right?
Doesn't matter who manufactured the plane, every one of them flies by the rules. If you don't trust the mfg's recommendations, get out your yardstick and measure the sucker. Plug the numbers into a CG finding application like Geistware (they all work out the CGs by the rules) and be done with that question.

The model industry has worked out a rule they go by. They balance planes with the gear up. Doesn't matter if the gear goes inboard, outboard, aft or forward. Balance with them retracted. The CG location found with the gear up is more than safe enough to rely on even when it's changed the amount lowering the gear would move it. Lowering the gear won't change it enough that it matters. That's why the model industry goes by the rule that you balance models with the gear up.

Get over all your worries about whether it'll be unsafe flying with the gear down, or up. The center of gravity for safe flying with the gear up also gives safe flying when the gear is down and the CG shifts an insignificant amount. It will not be overly nose heavy. If it would be, the entire model industry and all of us experienced flyers would have come up with something else. There isn't a something else. Because the present way works great.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:00 PM
gsoav8r
My Feedback: (6)

Jetdeck. Welcome to the world of complex airplanes.... retracts, flaps...

If the instructions dont say specifically Id play it safe and balance the Corsair with the gear Up. Nothing says you cant experiment with the CG after you get some time on the model.

Gear on the Corsair are fun and do a couple things to the flight characteristics. With the gear down the CG is forward as youve found but the drag on the gear also causes the plane to pitch down some. There is No magic CG point that will change that.

What you'll have to do is trim the elevator in flight for the different flight mode; gear down or up. I can tell you for example that on my Corsair when the gear goes down I need 5 clicks of up trim to compensate. And vice versa when the gear goes up.

After feeling out the model over the first several flights, to lesson pilot work load I set up a gear to elevator mix. When the gear is lowered this P-mix automatically puts in a few % of up elevator for me. So I dont have to readjust the elevator trim every time I raise or lower the gear.

Let me add too that I have a NP F-18 90mm EDF. The gear on that plane is opposite. When the gear on that model is raised the model goes nose heavy. I believe because of the direction the nose gear swings. Again I use a P-mix to lesson my work load in flight.

Cheers.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:41 PM
ram3500-RCU

first off, to all members who have responded to my ?. I want to say THANK YOU!!!! one person asked what plane it was and well I didn't say cause I didn't want to hear any negative comments, but here goes, it is the 1450 corsair with flaps and retracts, electric powered, and retractable tail wheel, it has a 4 bladed prop, a 4 series 3300 lipo, and its from, are you ready, from NITROPLANES, shhhhhhh, ok, I balance it with the gear up, right, with the gear down it balances right at 95mm like the instrucions say,but when I balance it with the gear up and add enough weight to bring it back to 95mm, wont it be overly nose heavy, like say for instance I wanted to fly it with the gear down, maybe there is a problem with them not retracting, for some reason, instead of going home, can still fly, but it will be overly nose heavy, I guess when you balance it with the gear up, your committed to flying it that way, am I right? oh and yes the plane is epo foam, have had other planes from nitroplanes and all turned out to be good flyers, I also did swap out the servos, on flaps elev rud ailr, the retracts in the plane are servoless, and also has working gear doors and nav lights
Welcome to the world of war birds. Obviously, the fuel discussion is not relevant. You should have ne problems with this airplane if balanced with the gear up.

"I guess when you balance it with the gear up, your committed to flying it that way, am I right?" No. You will need that gear. However, at speed with the gear up, your plane will fly well and with less trim.

You need to fly it and all this will become more clear.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:26 AM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

well, if it was made for electric and the cg is aft you need a bigger battery pack!?

Joe