RCU Forums - View Single Post - balancing corsair with retracts dilema
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 02:34 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: balancing corsair with retracts dilema

ORIGINAL: jetdeck

hi guys, well here we go, i'll give as much info as I can, have a corsair with a 56 wingspan, the manual states 95mm CG, I have 2 other corsairs and the balance point on them is nearly the same, 4-4and a quarter inches. the one i'm working on balanced perfectly at 95mm, while on my greatplanes balancer, I put a bubble level attached to a small piece of plastic on center of fuse, and the bubble is right in the middle, plane is sitting level, didn't have to add any weight, NOW! with the radio on, I put the gear up, and of course it goes tail heavy, if I add weight to counter it and bring it back to a level position, when they were down, then it will be way nose heavy, I use change as weights, qrts, nickels dimes pennys, if I add about 10 qrtrs, it brings back level, are you with me so far, if I add all that weight, and don't want to use the retracts, for a couple of flites or so its gonna be way nose heavy, how do you set it up so the plane flys good whether the gear is up or down, oh, I fly all my planes on 6 chnl futaba fm radios, oh and forgot this corsair is electric, running a 4 series 3300, but again it balanced, what kind of weight should I start with. right now it sits level, I know it should sit a little nose heavy. sure do need some answers, thanks to all.

You want to fly some flights that "don't use the retracts"? Why fly around with the gear down? Is it gear that plugs in and out of the wing?

If it balances level with the gear up, and that's at 95mm, then you're good to go. The rule is to balance models equipped with retractable gear with the gear up. Smart money balances level, not nose heavy. Balance it level and you know the CG is where it should be to insure a safe maiden CG location.

You say "it should sit a little nose heavy". No, actually it should balance level. How it sits doesn't matter. If you are saying "sit" and meaning "balance", the rule is still the same. With your balancer positioned at 95mm, the plane should be level. Start with whatever weight it takes to do that (with the gear up).

Good luck.