Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

GP extra 300s build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

GP extra 300s build

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 03:29 PM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP extra 300s build

ORIGINAL: DGrant

The horizontal stab broke due to flutter... about 1'' out, both sides at same time. It was the leading edge that failed.. I'm sure. Upon breaking, the stab(both sides) just folded back, creating a yard dart. It happened very quickly.. and yes.. I'm sure I was hammering on the throttle, the plane was/is pretty fast when flown as such. It happened so quickly I didn't realize why the plane went down. I actually picked up all the pieces, bagged them and took them home to my garage and did an NTSB type of investigation, spreading the pieces out/around in order on the garage floor..

When I got to the rear empenage, I noticed the hor.stabs were folded back... hmm.. interesting I said.. for a plane that upon crashing everything went forward.. the stabs were folded back. As I further inspected, I was able to simply kind of snap them back into position(as much as one can when its already destroyed).... still attached by wood splinters and covering... and as I ''unfolded'' them, it all just sort of fell back into place(again..as much as something can that was destroyed).. In my mind, thats the only thing that brought that plane down that day.. everything was operating as it should... and I was wringing it out about that point.. as it had only about 10 flights on it. I did what any true modeler would do though... I ordered another identical kit that day.. and built the second one in a few weeks time.

The engine and the front of the plane was disintegrated.. and it left about a 4'' hole in the hard ground. A few servos were broke.. I don't think I used anything from that first Extra, other then the lesson I learned the hard way..

I'm not going to say this plane needs them if built per plans and specs engine wise.. I would say this plane needs something like that if ''up engined'' for sure. As I mentioned though, my second Extra(even covered identical to the first one) is still with me, after 12yrs... and probably a few hundred flights.. its a well flown plane.

I think you're doing fine, and will have a nice plane when said and done.. you're doing your homework.. can't go wrong there.. have a great day.
That must have been one heck of a crash to destroy the engine like that in dirt, I guess putting wires on it will depend on the engine I put on it but I was never planning on such a large engine. Since Im cheap I thought about just stealing the almost new evo .46 nx from one of my other planes lol. I would really like the 10cc gasoline evolution engine or a .70 4 stroke but both would be exta weight, especially for the gasser because of the ignition and battery required. Ill figure it out later when I need to, Im going to start back on it today or tomorrow.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:50 PM
t-max97

Here's it's current state, nearly finished!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13516.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	1876012  
Old 04-24-2013, 08:14 PM
t-max97

Im probably going to order a thunder tiger fs-75s ".75 four stroke" tomorrow, does that sound like a good engine choice?
Old 04-25-2013, 05:55 AM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

how much weight balances out the nose right now?

I think its a great choice as long as its not too heavy
Old 04-25-2013, 06:49 AM
t-max97

ORIGINAL: mattnew

how much weight balances out the nose right now?

I think its a great choice as long as its not too heavy
I don't know Ill have to check, good idea lol.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:03 PM
t-max97

I think it should balance fairly close with that engine and plus, there is alot of room to move the battery and receiver around. Im going to order everything tomorrow. Now my next problem, what colors! I thinking about just going with something similar to whats on the box "red with a white stripe down the wing and fuse" because I stumped, I want to do something fairly simple but it has to look good, any ideas?
Old 04-27-2013, 12:10 PM
t-max97

Its all ordered now! I did get the thunder tiger 4 stroke, I got futaba s3004's for elevator and ailerons and for rudder I got a futaba s3010 high torque servo. For colors I got insignia blue and dove grey, Im going to do something similar to this but without the redbull logo's. I was going to get ultracoat but I already have some insignia blue monokote and I wanted to order everything together and tower doesn't have ultracoat, I like both so i don't really care that much.

Name:	Zx71655.jpg
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	1876550  
Old 04-27-2013, 01:22 PM
ken78cvx20
My Feedback: (3)

That's going to look great, I have this kit waiting its been nice following along on your build.Ken
Old 04-30-2013, 05:34 PM
t-max97

ORIGINAL: ken78cvx20

That's going to look great, I have this kit waiting its been nice following along on your build.Ken
Thanks, I haven't been to detailed on the build but really because I haven't ran into any problems that I didn't create lol. Pretty straight forward, alot of shaping and sanding but not bad at all, it's my first build and I look forward to the next one when Im done. You need to start on it lol. The engine, servo's, covering ect should be here tomorrow.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:09 PM
t-max97

Im not done covering it yet but It's close, here it is so far.

Name:	Qo39229.jpg
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	1878854   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39028.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	1878855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va73331.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	1878856  
Old 05-03-2013, 04:26 PM
HFrank

Hey T-max97, you are a very fast builder, I wish I could build that fast . BTW that Extra 300S is looking very good. Let us know how it flies. I have one like that NIB and need some motivation to start the buiding process.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:29 PM
ken78cvx20

You did a very nice job of covering wont be long now.

Ken
Old 05-03-2013, 04:38 PM
tobydogs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ditto on the nice build!!!!covering looks great. looking forward to the maiden report.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:04 PM
t-max97

Thanks guys, It's only the second plane I've fully covered so I'm pretty happy with it so far. I don't know if I'm really a quick builder or not, I worked on it all day for several days when I first got it so I got alot done. I already asked this but that was before I stepped up to my big stik, do you guys think I could fly this on low rates If i'm comfortable flying a big stik .40 with Inverted flight, level rolls,stall turns ect? Im going to fly my super sportster .40 for the first time next time I get a chance,maybe after that if all goes well? I read a review of this plane written buy a guy that said he stepped up to this as a third plane after a big stik and was very comfortable flying it.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:06 AM
UltimateFlyer120
My Feedback: (5)

My preferance is four strokes. Glad you went that way. The power will make up the for the weight. I'm puting an OS 72 on mine. I didn't state the first Extra 300S I built was my third plane. It lands somewhat faster than a trainer or a stick. Fly it to the ground, it does not float. Your build and covering looks like a pro did it. You should feel proud. You did great work. I question the flying wires becasue the stock pushrods are 2-56 and should be 4-40. The first one I had Was destroyed because I stalled it in a rolling circle over trees after 4 years of abuse. I will upgrade the pushrods again. good luck
Old 05-04-2013, 07:27 AM
t-max97

ORIGINAL: UltimateFlyer120

My preferance is four strokes. Glad you went that way. The power will make up the for the weight. I'm puting an OS 72 on mine. I didn't state the first Extra 300S I built was my third plane. It lands somewhat faster than a trainer or a stick. Fly it to the ground, it does not float. Your build and covering looks like a pro did it. You should feel proud. You did great work. I question the flying wires becasue the stock pushrods are 2-56 and should be 4-40. The first one I had Was destroyed because I stalled it in a rolling circle over trees after 4 years of abuse. I will upgrade the pushrods again. good luck
Thanks but pictures can hide flaws lol, Its not perfect, I actually only have one very small wrinkle so far that I have may be able to get out but I haven't tried yet so im pretty happy with it. I really like the scheme I came up with though. I have a tendency to land kind of hot with the stick anyway lol, as far as just flying goes, where you pretty comfortable with it and what where you flying before it? Im going to fly the super sportster first for sure because I would hate to crash this plane because I flew it to soon although I think I could on low rates, I HOPE to have this plane for a long time, but for some reason the expiration date wasn't written on the box.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:38 AM
t-max97

Do you think it needs 4-40 rods everywhere? I have one 4-40 rod I could use on the rudder.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:03 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think you need a 4-40 for this sized plane, but the choice is yours.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:03 PM
t-max97

It wouldn't hurt of course but I was thinking it wasn't really needed either.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:53 PM
t-max97

I'm thinking about putting a gopro mount inside the canopy, do you guys think that would add to much weight?
Old 05-05-2013, 06:14 PM
ken78cvx20

Just fly it and enjoy it then later put one of those key chain cams in they do pretty good for what they are.

Fly thethe super sportsterfirst then the extra. Lets see some pictures of your build she is looking sweet.

Ken

Old 05-06-2013, 12:39 PM
t-max97

Things where just going to good, I noticed that the vertical stab, fin what ever you wanna call it is slightly angled to the left as in pointed to the left a little (not leaning), I don't know how in the world it's like that, I measured and marked the center and there's really not much room for error but somehow it is slightly crooked, any chance it's like that to counter act the torque of the propeller? When looking at it from the front it's nearly straight but is a little off, It's not a whole lot, should I be concerned? I can take pictures but I highly doubt you could tell in them.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:03 PM
tobydogs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm not sure exactly what your trying to describe.did you glued the vertical straight up and down but twisted it somehow when settting it in the fuse and your looking at it from the front of the planeand see it off centerwhere it meets the fuse? ifso i would think adjusting the rudders trim when flying to counter act theoffsetverticalfin might only be a few clicks. another option less desireable would be to use a blade and cut the sides loose to reglue.....messy and maybe unnessasary.

take a picture fromatop veiw ,set up perfectly over the vertical/rudder and fuse so we may see the problem that way. if we can ,you may want to go ahead with the repair.

it's not in any planes design i ever built that the vertical is angled left. i hope you can leave it as is and enjoy flying her as is,she's looking great!!
Old 05-06-2013, 07:11 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's like that to make the airplane turn just a little to the right to keep the control lines tight. Just kidding, but that's what we used to do with control line planes to keep the plane to the outside of the circle and the lines tight and effective. On your plane, a slight rudder trim adjustment will compensate for the slight misalignment of the vertical stab. Not a big deal! Earlier you expressed some concern with flying the Extra. May I suggest that you get Peter or one of the other "GOOD" Taildragger pilots to help you on the maiden flight. Someone to trim out the plane for you before you grab the sticks will help on your move up in performance planes. Some times a GOOD co-pilot helps with the jitters. Just a thought. BTY, the plane looks good, nice covering job. If in doubt, get help and save the plane. That's what club mates are for. Don't have just anyone fly it for you, be selective. Ask "K.C." about the guy that flew one of his planes"for him" and put it thru the roof at the storage units! I had just 3 wks earlier soloed that guy on his trainer! Get GOOD help. Tailwinds to you, 52larry52
Old 05-06-2013, 09:53 PM
t-max97

ORIGINAL: 52larry52

It's like that to make the airplane turn just a little to the right to keep the control lines tight. Just kidding, but that's what we used to do with control line planes to keep the plane to the outside of the circle and the lines tight and effective. On your plane, a slight rudder trim adjustment will compensate for the slight misalignment of the vertical stab. Not a big deal! Earlier you expressed some concern with flying the Extra. May I suggest that you get Peter or one of the other ''GOOD'' Taildragger pilots to help you on the maiden flight. Someone to trim out the plane for you before you grab the sticks will help on your move up in performance planes. Some times a GOOD co-pilot helps with the jitters. Just a thought. BTY, the plane looks good, nice covering job. If in doubt, get help and save the plane. That's what club mates are for. Don't have just anyone fly it for you, be selective. Ask ''K.C.'' about the guy that flew one of his planes''for him'' and put it thru the roof at the storage units! I had just 3 wks earlier soloed that guy on his trainer! Get GOOD help. Tailwinds to you, 52larry52
You had me all excited and relieved for the first few words lol, good to hear it shouldn't cause any problems though, I was worried I was going to have to strip the plane to fix it. I will get someone to help, probably Peter. I did hear about that plane threw the roof! lol I wonder if the AMA covered that? Update on the build- I glued the cowl halves together and fiber glassed the seam,the canopy is on the plane with glue drying right now, I used shoo goo and ill put a strip of monokote around the edge of it. I just couldn't resist and went and taxied around the driveway earlier and although I haven't flown it yet, Im really liking this 4-stroke right now! It sounds soooooo much better and more realistic than a 2-stroke in my opinion, It started the first flip of the prop right out of the box and still does with no problems. Question on the cowl, It said in the instruction book that they used bondo to fill the seem in the cowl, I have some light weight bondo but I would have thought it would be too brittle for a flexible cowl, Is bondo the best thing or is there a better option?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.