Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA emails on Drones/Right to Fly

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA emails on Drones/Right to Fly

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 05:01 AM
bradpaul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA emails on Drones/Right to Fly

Another FPV flyer champoining the cause of "I can fly anywhere I want"................................................ research????
I have alwats wanted to try FPV but am comming around the the idea that the way to solve this is to ban FPV on any airframe that has the ability to "hover in place". That would eliminate the fear of the pervert looking in the bedroom window.
Brad
Old 05-15-2013, 05:19 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: bradpaul

Another FPV flyer champoining the cause of ''I can fly anywhere I want''............................................ .... research????
I have alwats wanted to try FPV but am comming around the the idea that the way to solve this is to ban FPV on any airframe that has the ability to ''hover in place''. That would eliminate the fear of the pervert looking in the bedroom window.
Brad
I most times hope the bad guy does not get away but i could see the police catching this nut and finding a ama card on him. Sad realy . joe
Old 05-15-2013, 05:39 AM
bradpaul

www.clickorlando.com/drones-exploding-in-popularity-but-raising-concerns/-/1637238/20151798/-/rbiycd/-/index.html

Ran last night at 11:00 pm on Channel 6 News in Orlando.

The public will demand additional restrictions on "drones"............................... they will react with emotion, the big question is how do we protect model aviation?

Brad
Old 05-15-2013, 06:08 AM
joebahl

Its kinda of hard to seperate us now since the AMA has these things all over their web site . I have said this before but it was crazy to let these things join AMA .Its going to cost it money and time that could have been used elsewhere . What kind of defence can anyone come up with when these things are flying in full scale airspace and looking through peoples windows. Zeeeze its a prosticuters X-MAS .
Old 05-15-2013, 02:15 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I care less about the issue, whatever the issue du jour seems to be (privacy, terrorism, physical danger), day by day.
Mostly what I see is sensationalized over-reaction from the media (and some here and on other forums).
Haven't much heard from the public concerning "demand additional restrictions" on drones WRT how that might affect us RC folks.
As far as enforcing any laws broken by "drone" flyers, do it just like it is always done.
Case-by-case basis.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:40 PM
bradpaul

ORIGINAL: 804

I care less about the issue, whatever the issue du jour seems to be (privacy, terrorism, physical danger), day by day.
Mostly what I see is sensationalized over-reaction from the media (and some here and on other forums).
Haven't much heard from the public concerning "demand additional restrictions" on drones WRT how that might affect us RC folks.
As far as enforcing any laws broken by "drone" flyers, do it just like it is always done.
Case-by-case basis.
Really???????

amablog.modelaircraft.org/amagov/drone-legislation/

Old 05-15-2013, 04:14 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Haven't much heard from the public concerning ''demand additional restrictions'' on drones WRT how that might affect us RC folks.
As far as enforcing any laws broken by ''drone'' flyers, do it just like it is always done.
Case-by-case basis.
Copied and pasted.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:00 PM
joebahl

Haven't much heard from the public concerning ''demand additional restrictions'' on drones WRT how that might affect us RC folks.
As far as enforcing any laws broken by ''drone'' flyers, do it just like it is always done.
Case-by-case basis.
You might think its going to be a case by case issue but states and citys have another idea i can bet. It costs them way to much to do it case by case so lets just bunch them up all together outlaw them all. While they a looking at who backs these things
there will be the AMA standing like a deer in the headlights looking goofy. joe
Old 05-15-2013, 05:47 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Case-by-case basis.
Really???????

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...e-legislation/

So, Brad, how many states have outlawed RC so far?
What"s your best guess as to how many will?
Spying isn't new.
Nor is voyeurism.
If you see a quadcopter outside your window, call the cops. Or swat it with a 12 gauge, or a tennis racket.

The Fed has pretty much sanctioned drone tech. in the U.S.
States are vying for drone research centers.
Colleges and universities have drone programs.

So crawl out of your Y2K bunkers already and fly your RC toys.
Or not.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:47 AM
bradpaul

Now here is a different take on the drone discussion.

Instead of how are we as individuals going to protect our privacy from the use by police agencies to spy on us..................... here are the police in Istanbul, Turkey shooting down a drone that was spying on them....................... what goes around comes around.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/2259267...#axzz2WCXlYp5u

ome pretty good shooting.................................

Brad

Old 06-14-2013, 10:56 AM
joebahl

Instead of how are we as individuals going to protect our privacy from the use by police agencies to spy on us..................... here are the police in Istanbul, Turkey shooting down a drone that was spying on them....................... what goes around comes around.

Brad

I think we should shoot them all down even at our own club field. joe
Old 06-14-2013, 12:40 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

had to smile when i saw that video.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:52 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brad

IMO I think way too much attention is placed on the "drone spying" thing. OTOH I do have a concern should individuals be allowed to fly drones around open sky, where they could cause life-death situations to VFR real aircraft and even IFR real aircraft. As far as personal spy items, "L" man we had that capability back before the '60s. The "Light weights" - totally stripped B-36s based in Ramey, P.R. - made many missions and gathered much Photo and Radar of Russian Potential Targets. Those cameras could pick out card-hands from 40,000 ft AGL. How do I know about this? Well I spent 4 years in the B-47. Before going on a week's alert I spent a day studying my assigned targets. I could pick my assigned target aiming points within a foot using that photography. Now that was in the 1958-early '62 time period.
Our stuff was no real match for today's wizardry, however neither was today's bomb as compared to what I carried if I launched back then. 20-25 megatons reaches out a long way!
The use of drones flying out around the country also reaches out a loonnngg way. With the folks that have so little disregard for their potential while fooling around with drones, it's worse than anyone even considers. I can get all kinds of photos of my house off the internet. If non licensed idiots start some low flying around my place, they best have a lot of drones. I will not hesitate taking them down.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:57 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: Hossfly
If non licensed idiots start some low flying around my place, they best have a lot of drones. I will not hesitate taking them down.
Somehow that's a funny picture/thought...what would be the weapon of choice as you're running around your yard trying to hit one...LOL... A high powered rifle wouldn't be a good choice in most every case and according to you the surveillance capabilities would make it very easy to stay out of range of a shotgun. I think you may need your own drone...drone to drone combat would be fun too...

One thing, just wondering how are you going to make the distinction between the governmentally licensed (good) drone and the unlicensed (bad) drone??? I think you should just play it safe and shoot them all...

One good thing about all this FPV stuff...It gives the complainers and whiners something else to complain about other than 3D and the giant scale hobbyists. It doesn't seem to matter... fly close, low and slow to the ground...people complain...fly high and away people still complain... I guess the only thing that's OK is flying a plank sided sizwizzy with a old FP 40 and a 10x6 master airscrew...Never heard anyone complain about that...oh wait, on second thought I have...The complainers win...they always do!
Old 06-16-2013, 08:33 AM
joebahl

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Hossfly
If non licensed idiots start some low flying around my place, they best have a lot of drones. I will not hesitate taking them down.
Somehow that's a funny picture/thought...what would be the weapon of choice as you're running around your yard trying to hit one...LOL... A high powered rifle wouldn't be a good choice in most every case and according to you the surveillance capabilities would make it very easy to stay out of range of a shotgun. I think you may need your own drone...drone to drone combat would be fun too...

One thing, just wondering how are you going to make the distinction between the governmentally licensed (good) drone and the unlicensed (bad) drone??? I think you should just play it safe and shoot them all...

One good thing about all this FPV stuff...It gives the complainers and whiners something else to complain about other than 3D and the giant scale hobbyists. It doesn't seem to matter... fly close, low and slow to the ground...people complain...fly high and away people still complain... I guess the only thing that's OK is flying a plank sided sizwizzy with a old FP 40 and a 10x6 master airscrew...Never heard anyone complain about that...oh wait, on second thought I have...The complainers win...they always do!
Now you got it shoot them all and the ones with the ama stickers shoot them again while they are on the ground wounded .
The AMA should have asked members if they wanted to let these things in before they did but the money was to tempting for them . Soon it will cost alot more defending them in court and in each state that wants to ban them. Another great plan by our AMA . joe
Old 06-16-2013, 10:13 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: joebahl

Now you got it shoot them all and the ones with the ama stickers shoot them again while they are on the ground wounded .
That made me chuckle... and reminded me of this joke;

Two hunters are out in the woods when one of them collapses. He doesn't seem to be breathing and his eyes are glazed. The other guy whips out his phone and calls the emergency services. He gasps, "My friend is dead! What can I do?" The operator says "Calm down. I can help. First, let's make sure he's dead." There is a silence, then a gun shot is heard. Back on the phone, the guy says "OK, now what?"

I wonder if some you older guys remember when RC was berated as FPV is now?

Old 06-16-2013, 11:10 AM
joebahl

That made me chuckle... and reminded me of this joke;

Two hunters are out in the woods when one of them collapses. He doesn't seem to be breathing and his eyes are glazed. The other guy whips out his phone and calls the emergency services. He gasps, ''My friend is dead! What can I do?'' The operator says ''Calm down. I can help. First, let's make sure he's dead.'' There is a silence, then a gun shot is heard. Back on the phone, the guy says ''OK, now what?''

I wonder if some you older guys remember when RC was berated as FPV is now?

LOL I look at the picture and film making birds this way ,i have been flying rc for almost 40 years with most people leaving me alone till these things joined the ama . Now all of a sudden my rc plane flying is getting bunched up with these things because people are not behaving themselfs while flying them. Its not fair to the rest of us who abide by the faa and other rules of our clubs and states and countys who left us alone till these few shutter bugs started to mess things up. We are still in the begings of the bad things i feel are comming down the road with more and more shutter bugs flying these things. I have road my motorcycle through around 30 different states and dont need to have a camera mounted on my rc plane to see the country side but some think they get to see (whatever ) flying their camera around their house or their neighborhood . joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88792.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1892337  
Old 06-16-2013, 11:32 AM
littlecrankshaf

i have been flying rc for almost 40 years with most people leaving me alone till these things joined the ama . Now all of a sudden my rc plane flying is getting bunched up with these things because people are not behaving themselfs while flying them.
Joe,

You got a point and certainly put your finger on the problem. You and I, along with the rest of the country needs to understand who is at fault, hold them personally responsible and quite "bunching" people together...That change can only start with each and everyone of us by not accepting that crap... enough is enough... We've got to do a better job going forward or we are all doomed.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:38 AM
joebahl

i have been flying rc for almost 40 years with most people leaving me alone till these things joined the ama . Now all of a sudden my rc plane flying is getting bunched up with these things because people are not behaving themselfs while flying them.
Joe,

You got a point and certainly put your finger on the problem. You and I, along with the rest of the country needs to understand who is at fault, hold them personally responsible and quite ''bunching'' people together...That change can only start with each and everyone of us by not accepting that crap... enough is enough... We've got to do a better job going forward or we are all doomed.
Its sad that the same organization that i paid my dues to for those 40 years puts us in harms way because of plain greed.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:13 PM
littlecrankshaf

Its sad that the same organization that i paid my dues to for those 40 years puts us in harms way because of plain greed.
Joe,

I don't see it exactly like that. For one thing I don't think it is so much about the money and I really don't see how we are in "harms way"... No doubt there are some people that do and will continue to do wrong...but it is they, those people that are the problem and it is those people that should be held accountable.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:27 PM
joebahl

Joe,

I don't see it exactly like that. For one thing I don't think it is so much about the money and I really don't see how we are in ''harms way''... No doubt there are some people that do and will continue to do wrong...but it is they, those people that are the problem and it is those people that should be held accountable.
Now we are back to square one when the AMA went to bed with them and tied us to them.They are the rc camera fools /ama people now just like the other problems we have had in the past. If it was just a few messing up here or there it would be different but its a contest now on witch bumb ars can fly higher and further away while filming it all so the FAA (the man)can watch them enter full scale flying space . Come on crankshaf it was the money that brought us the park program(that does not work) and now you see these flying targets all over the AMA site. Lol I think iam going to fly in the park or one of the subdivisions i developed with out sighning up for any ama card ,thats how mad iam about it. joe
Old 06-16-2013, 03:48 PM
littlecrankshaf

Come on crankshaf it was the money that brought us the park program(that does not work) and now you see these flying targets all over the AMA site. Lol I think iam going to fly in the park or one of the subdivisions i developed with out sighning up for any ama card ,thats how mad iam about it. joe
Joe,

I guess you do have a point...well to a degree. AMA is more interested in footprint or dare I say "market share" right now...the money will come later since money or lack of it isn't a problem right now for the AMA.

Anyway, Have fun!!! and I hope you, even if inadvertently plant the seed of model aviation in some neighborhood youngster...but be careful since they'll probably want to do FPV and will undoubtably be told they need AMA [X(]LOL...
Old 06-19-2013, 08:43 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe,

You got a point and certainly put your finger on the problem. You and I, along with the rest of the country needs to understand who is at fault, hold them personally responsible and quite ''bunching'' people together...That change can only start with each and everyone of us by not accepting that crap... enough is enough... We've got to do a better job going forward or we are all doomed.
I appreciate this view and I would add we need to think about someone that has malicious intent/motive. Some things are just accidental, yet still we should be totally accountable for what we do and on an individual basis. It does tend to get me riled when I make a mistake and somehow it is perceived as malicious. I wished folks would take the time to really investigate what is going on.

FPVs can be totally cool and used in a super awesome way. I don't fly them, however I know a guy that flies them and he is totally straight up guy and I have learned each time around him. He would in no way misuse the FPV, unless it was accidental and could not be helped.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:03 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Most places where RC is flown around here you have a large expanse of flat land to fly over that is surrounded on all sides by houses and busy roads.

Normal, conventional, old fashioned RC flight concentrates the activities fairly close to base and discourages venturing out to the limits of the field. If you believe in statistical probabilities, the Law of Averages will favor this mode of flight when something goes wrong.
With drone style flight.....even performed per AMA rules the objective will be to have the planes patrol the absolute boundaries of the field more than a conventional flyer would. Law of Averages will begin to stack up against this mode of flight, I believe the chances of a plane crashing out of bounds go way up.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:03 AM
joebahl

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

Joe,

I appreciate this view and I would add we need to think about someone that has malicious intent/motive. Some things are just accidental, yet still we should be totally accountable for what we do and on an individual basis. It does tend to get me riled when I make a mistake and somehow it is perceived as malicious. I wished folks would take the time to really investigate what is going on.

FPVs can be totally cool and used in a super awesome way. I don't fly them, however I know a guy that flies them and he is totally straight up guy and I have learned each time around him. He would in no way misuse the FPV, unless it was accidental and could not be helped.
I agree with you to a point but in this case you just need to type in FPV in you-tube and see videos of the shutter bugs flying high and far away ,almost competing with each other on who can get into full size aircraft space the best .[:@] I dont think its malicious but i do think its stuped . If you were flying somewhere in a full size aircraft i would almost bet you would not care to see one flying by the plane window or see one flying outside your home window. joe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.