Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA emails on Drones/Right to Fly

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA emails on Drones/Right to Fly

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 01:06 PM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA emails on Drones/Right to Fly

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: cj_rumley

Unless this is a restricted area the pilot of an RC aircraft would be legit. This was 5 or 6 miles from the airport. The pilot said it was 3 feet wide, though I do not understand why he can accurately describe the size of a small model or other UAV.
He would be legit according to AMA but not FAA.

This could become the test case where we learn that when an AC has been incorporated by reference into regulatory material, compliance with its restrictions is no longer voluntary.

Incorparated by reference does not make the AC non voluntary, except to the extent that regulation or policy has done so. To my knowledge the only way that was done was toward sUAV's so it only applies to sUAV's. Which would apply here if this is a sUAV and not a model airplane. A sUAV may not be as capable to see and avoid as a model airplane. Of course this could be restricted airspace which is all over NYC. I believe there is a model flying site at an abandoned NAS not for from JFK but may be further than 5 or 6 miles. I believe this is Bennent Field?
I believe that FAA has been quite clear in categorizing model airplanes as sUAS. Authorization to fly MA is included in the interim guidance for sUAS.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:23 PM
motomike
My Feedback: (4)

With knuckleheads like this, we have an uphill battle

http://www.gopusa.com/news/2013/03/0.../?subscriber=1
Old 03-05-2013, 01:50 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe that FAA has been quite clear in categorizing model airplanes as sUAS. Authorization to fly MA is included in the interim guidance for sUAS.
But they define model aircraft and that they fly under the AC, then for sUAS they say they will fly below the 400 foot limit of the AC. Not the same thing. Also recent law says model aircraft are not regulated so FAA policy does not confine model aiiplane other than airspace restrictions.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:16 PM
cj_rumley

But they define model aircraft and that they fly under the AC, then for sUAS they say they will fly below the 400 foot limit of the AC. Not the same thing. Also recent law says model aircraft are not regulated so FAA policy does not confine model aiiplane other than airspace restrictions.
Not going to argue with you, Sport. FAA will have clarified what they intended re the AC and model aircraft as contained in Interim Operational Approval Guidance 08-01 before you and I agree.

'They fly under the AC' is meaningless to me if they ignore it because compliance is voluntary. YMMV
Old 03-05-2013, 02:21 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think we had a to close for comfort by a drone here in chicago also,and the fun begins !
Old 03-06-2013, 05:35 AM
Sport_Pilot

Not going to argue with you, Sport. FAA will have clarified what they intended re the AC and model aircraft as contained in Interim Operational Approval Guidance 08-01 before you and I agree.

'They fly under the AC' is meaningless to me if they ignore it because compliance is voluntary. YMMV

To say that the AC applies to model aircraft does in no way make a voluntary AC mandatory.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:27 AM
cj_rumley

To say that the AC applies to model aircraft does in no way make a voluntary AC mandatory.
Not what I said. I did suggest "..... when an AC has been incorporated by reference into regulatory material, compliance with its restrictions is no longer voluntary."

That is what FAA has said (you find the reference, I am not going to dig it out for you) , and I trust them on that. I think the event being discussed in this sub-thread has attracted enough attention from the media, Homeland Security, FBI, et al to prompt FAA to make a statement that will remove the ambiguity that exists for some that are grasping for it in current UAS regulatory policy IG 08-01.

I can wait and see...........
Old 03-06-2013, 02:25 PM
cj_rumley

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/med...cident-at-jfk/

Partial text:
AMA standards require that model aircraft not interfere with and remain well clear of manned aircraft and prohibit members from acting in a careless or reckless manner that would endanger the life or property of others. Hovering, from what all indications appears to be, a larger domestic UAS near the approach path to one of the country’s busiest airports is neither safe nor responsible, is a clear violation of AMA’s safety programming, and AMA does not condone the actions of the person or people involved.
Sez "....is a clear violation of AMA’s safety programming" but doesn't cite any AMA Safety Code rule(s) violated. How hard would it be to cite such rule(s) and so ensure that it was made clear? From some of the discussion in this thread, it doesn't seem at all clear to ALCON.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:02 PM
joebahl

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...odel-aviation/
Old 03-06-2013, 05:35 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Typical.......
Space Cadet Mission Statement Speak.
The AMA will NEVER have ANY significant impact on the irresponsible and or stupid usage of these play things. These planes will only become more affordable and more capable of mayhem as time marches on.
Try to picture the AMA as a "school crossing guard" trying to hold back a convoy of drunk drivers careening through the neighborhood.
BTW, Youtube acts as the perfect stage for "monkey see monkey do" type stuff and also for inspiring some to set the bar at new heights.
Let the Chimpouts begin.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:42 PM
Sport_Pilot

Not what I said. I did suggest "..... when an AC has been incorporated by reference into regulatory material, compliance with its restrictions is no longer voluntary."

That is what FAA has said (you find the reference, I am not going to dig it out for you) , and I trust them on that. I think the event being discussed in this sub-thread has attracted enough attention from the media, Homeland Security, FBI, et al to prompt FAA to make a statement that will remove the ambiguity that exists for some that are grasping for it in current UAS regulatory policy IG 08-01.

I can wait and see...........
I doubt it the recent aviation act prevents further restriction, at least to some extent.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:41 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EXCELLENT Review CBP!
Old 03-07-2013, 07:13 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

I hate to tell you guys but this is a dangerous world we live in... If all we had to worry about was stuff like this it would almost be like the Garden of Eden... Our neighbors and our very own government is doing and has done things that make this seem minuscule. It will be investigated...a hand slapped...and we will go one with much bigger issues looming.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:09 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

[X(]
ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Typical.......
The AMA will NEVER have ANY significant impact on the irresponsible and or stupid usage of these play things. These planes will only become more affordable and more capable of mayhem as time marches on.
Try to picture the AMA as a ''school crossing guard'' trying to hold back a convoy of drunk drivers careening through the neighborhood.
BTW, Youtube acts as the perfect stage for ''monkey see monkey do'' type stuff and also for inspiring some to set the bar at new heights.
Let the Chimpouts begin.
I have to admit, I agree with combatpigg's assessment and just think how rare that is! I really like the "Chimpouts" statement. That means the end of the world as we know it is near. Is CP being assimulated into the fold? [X(]
Old 03-07-2013, 10:53 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

[X(]

Typical.......
Try to picture the AMA as a ''school crossing guard'' trying to hold back a convoy of drunk drivers careening through the neighborhood.
BTW, Youtube acts as the perfect stage for ''monkey see monkey do'' type stuff and also for inspiring some to set the bar at new heights.
Let the Chimpouts begin.
I have to admit, I agree with combatpigg's assessment and just think how rare that is! I really like the ''Chimpouts'' statement. That means the end of the world as we know it is near. Is CP being assimulated into the fold? [X(]
To bolster part of CP's post heres this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wbJn...layer_embedded looks like real fun but I am sure a good imagination can find a way to poo-poo on it.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:16 AM
crash99

Let me get this right. A RC quad with the flight time of 15 minutes was able to go out a mile or so from land and reach 1500 feet before running out of power? Is that right?

Here in Missouri there is one House member that wants to band Drons.

2. As used in sections 305.635 to 305.641, the following terms shall mean:
(1) “Drone”, any powered, aerial vehicle that:
(a) Does not carry a human operator;
(b) Uses aerodynamic forces to provide vehicle lift;
(c) Can fly autonomously or be piloted remotely;
(d) Can be expendable or recoverable; and
(e) Can carry a lethal or non-lethal payload.

This is to protect farmers from being watched performing tasks they might not want people to know about. If they can ban one RC group from flying who will be next.

Crash99
Old 03-07-2013, 01:53 PM
cj_rumley

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

To bolster part of CP's post heres this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wbJn...layer_embedded looks like real fun but I am sure a good imagination can find a way to poo-poo on it.
The flying weight is 180 g according to the distributor, 1/5 the allowed weight proposed for parkfliers by AMA, and which among other things would be unfettered by any regulation if FAA were to go with the ARC recommendations. The name is unfortunate in this day of epidemic paranoia over spies in the sky, though. AMA should ban them lest they soil the public image of our hobby.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:49 PM
combatpigg

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

The flying weight is 180 g according to the distributor, 1/5 the allowed weight proposed for parkfliers by AMA, and which among other things would be unfettered by any regulation if FAA were to go with the ARC recommendations. The name is unfortunate in this day of epidemic paranoia over spies in the sky, though. AMA should ban them lest they soil the public image of our hobby.
Maybe we can use you as the official "Liason" to speak face to face with the full scale pilots about how silly they are for reporting close encounters with these harmless toys.
Just because they resemble the toys that I fly doesn't mean that I should feel the need to "embrace" this mode of operation as a "Lock Step" AMAer. There is wisdom in placing distance between ourselves and the drones that will become self evident someday.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:22 PM
cj_rumley

ORIGINAL: crash99

Let me get this right. A RC quad with the flight time of 15 minutes was able to go out a mile or so from land and reach 1500 feet before running out of power? Is that right?

Here in Missouri there is one House member that wants to band Drons.

2. As used in sections 305.635 to 305.641, the following terms shall mean:
(1) “Drone”, any powered, aerial vehicle that:
(a) Does not carry a human operator;
(b) Uses aerodynamic forces to provide vehicle lift;
(c) Can fly autonomously or be piloted remotely;
(d) Can be expendable or recoverable; and
(e) Can carry a lethal or non-lethal payload.

This is to protect farmers from being watched performing tasks they might not want people to know about. If they can ban one RC group from flying who will be next.

Crash99
How so? - rhetorical Q. What you related doesn't include anything about optical sensors in the definition of a drone. OTOH most any model airplane (other than C/L or static display) fits the definition; some circle flyers will be okay until the length of control lines that cause the aircraft to be deemed "piloted remotely" is clarified. On the bright side, (b) would still allow lighter-than-air craft, and rockets.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:32 PM
littlecrankshaf

Maybe we can use you as the official ''Liason'' to speak face to face with the full scale pilots about how silly they are for reporting close encounters with these harmless toys.
Hmmm...Not to take away from CJ's excellent abilities, maybe some the "real" airpane pilots I know that have much bigger FPV models would be a better choice...
Old 03-08-2013, 08:55 AM
littlecrankshaf

It's coming... http://www.modelairplanenews.com/blo...s%20%26%20more
Old 03-08-2013, 02:14 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

AVwebFlash: Thursday, February 21, 2013

FAA Moves Ahead On Drone Test Sites

[img][/img]

The FAA will move forward with plans to establish six test sites for unmanned aerial systems, Administrator Michael Huerta said on Friday. ''We expect to learn how unmanned aircraft systems operate in different environments and how they will impact air traffic operations,'' he said. ''The test sites will also inform the agency as we develop standards for certifying unmanned aircraft and determine necessary air traffic requirements.'' The site selections are expected by the end of September. Last November, Huerta had delayed the test-site selection, citing privacy concerns.

Proposals will be accepted from state and local governments, universities and other public entities to develop the six sites. In selecting the sites, the FAA said it will consider geographic and climatic diversity, infrastructure and research needs, population density and air traffic density. The FAA also said the program will ''require ensuring that privacy is appropriately protected.'' The public is invited to review the proposed privacy policy (PDF) and comment on it. Michael Toscano, president of the Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International, said the announcement is ''an important milestone on the path toward unlocking the potential of unmanned aircraft, and creating thousands of American jobs.'' States across the country are eager to develop a test site, Toscano said, ''because they recognize the incredible economic and job creation potential it would bring with it.'' AVweb's editorial director Paul Bertorelli recently explored the issue of the drone future; click here for his analysis.

HoundDog, post 279, 02-21-13, says it all. The government will do its thing. The winner will be whomever donates the most money because that is how government works when and if it ever works. [&o] AMA is not yet there.

No need to belabor the point further.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:16 PM
combatpigg

Don't worry Hoss, The Fed will open more paper money printing facilities to pay for it all.
Open 24/7 till they either run out of ink or paper.
Just think of all the good this drone industry is doing to create more of those highly productive and essential gubmint jobs.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:16 PM
littlecrankshaf

Don't worry Hoss, The Fed will open more paper money printing facilities to pay for it all.
Open 24/7 till they either run out of ink or paper.
Just think of all the good this drone industry is doing to create more of those highly productive and essential gubmint jobs.
Yea, Damn Nixon...
Old 04-03-2013, 12:53 PM
joebahl

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...e-legislation/ ha ha ha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.