Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

RCM plans service sucks

Old 05-25-2013, 09:38 PM
Roguedog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCM plans service sucks

ORIGINAL: Will40simmons

I've tried to enlarge one of the plans from the magazine pages using a program called rapid resizer, thinking I could get around buying the plans from them. It's very difficult to get the program to get the dimensions exactly correct. You really need to have the plans printed by the plans service, to get the best quality. Unfortunately, Fed EX kinkos copy center is no help either. I've called them before, asking about emailing them a PDF of the magazine page, and getting them to enlarge the plans to full size, using the little 6 inch ruler in the bottom right corner of the page, to set the size correctly. They are absoultely clueless about what you are talking about. It's like hiring a beginner at McDonalds to fix an 18 wheeler's transmission. You might as well be speaking Martian or Russian, for all the communicating you are able to do with them. So, unfortuanetly, we are stuck with RCM, unless someone knows of a way to accurately enlarge these magazine sized plan images to full size.
Will,

I do know a way to enlarge then for a useable plan. You need to scan the magazine page at 1600 x 1600dpi in black and white,not color or grayscale, into a decent graphics program e.g. Photoshop works best.

Next you need to determine the the scale of the RCM plan you scanned. Simply look at the scanned RCM plan legend and use Photoshops ruler and guides to determine how many inches are represented in the scanned scale of 6in. If the scanned pages 6 inch ruler measures 3/4 of and inch on the Photoshop ruler, divid 6 inches by 3/4 (0.75) to get your scaling factor, in this case that would be 8.

Next goto the image drop down menu PS 10 select image size, then under the section document size, take one of the values, I use the page width size, and multiply that number by the scaling factor number to get the correct scale size. Make sure the constrain proprotions checkbox is checked so that the scanned page in scaled both vertically and horizontally. Do not click the OK button yet , do the next step before you click the OK button.

Next, BEFORE YOU CLICK THE OK BUTTON, change the dpi from 1600dpi to 400dpi. That way your scaling to the corrct scale and reducing the dpi at the same time. This method will keep the plans lines from getting fat. Now click the OK button.

This will give you an almost perfectly scaled plan that is very usable. Of course you will need to adapt for your own graphics app but I have done this 40 ro 50 times and you can bearly tell the difference between RCM's copy vs the scaled up one from the magazine.

The key to scaling magazine plans is scanning at 1600dpi then scaling it and reducing the dpi at the same time.

Good luck,

Bryan

Old 05-26-2013, 04:58 AM
Trisquire

You could do it "old school" with an overhead projector. Just make a transparency from the 8.5" x 11" plan in the magazine. Hang a big sheet of paper on the wall, and shine your image on it. The article or the RCM plans website gives you the wingspan of the plane. Just move the projector forward or backward until you get the size right. It still won't be a very high resolution image, but good enough for most purposes. I tend to redesign structures anyway, so all I really need is the basic outline of the plane.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:59 AM
crashlander
My Feedback: (10)

That reminds me of my old Trainer 40. I had that until there was no more wood to glue when repairing.
Great story you have there.
It is great when one can tell a story that shows longevity and desire to keep things alive.
I just sold a Hanson Tipporare that I had since 1981. Great airplane, never crashed, but had gone through many moves in all the years.

Orlando
Old 05-26-2013, 05:15 AM
Tom B 1956

I have an example of what Bryan is able to do. Compared it to the actual plan. There is no appreciable diference. The two plans are almost identical. The drawings are absolutely perfect when it comes to scale compared to the actual. If your method reproduces the actual then that is great. Bryan's method works and all your doing is a little math. And then you have a PDF that can be taken to any print shop to get the full scale printed.

Tom B.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:45 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done something similar and saved as a pdf. I addtion, i printed the drawing scale separately, checked it against a ruler and made additional adjustments from there.

Jim
Old 05-26-2013, 07:21 PM
Nieuport nut
My Feedback: (10)

You can also use a photo copier at Staples to enlarge your drawing to 1/4 the size of the final required plan, followed by a trip to a print shop that can enlarge up to 400% and a 36" width. Most Staples stores have a copier that will do 400%, (in .10% increments!), and the print shop can do 400% in 1% increments. If you take a drawing in that fits on a 9" wide piece of paper, the print shop can enlarge it up to 36". All you need to do is determine the final wingspan.

EXAMPLE: My plan has a 6 3/8" span and I want it enlarged to 59". First I divide 59" by 6.375 (ie 6 3/8) and get 9.255. My copy shop can't do more than 4 times, so i divide 9.255 by 4 and get 2.31. So, I enlarge the original by 2.31 and then that enlargement by 4, which equals 58.9 - close enough! If the Staples enlargement ends up more than 9" wide, you may have to literally cut and paste to fit the results on 9" paper.

I have used this method to enlarge 3 view drawings from 3 or 4" to giant scale. For those who are worried about line thickness, I would argue that any inaccuracy in my final drawing is imperceptible. It is a great way to test the fit of engines or other equipment very cheaply and quickly, and you don't even need to be computer savvy!

Martin
Old 05-26-2013, 08:47 PM
Roguedog

RCU Still needs to fix the Damn time out issue for posting a thread. There's nothing more frustrating then spending 30 minutes responding to a post the get the F#$k$%g timeout error message. RCGroups doesnt' have this issue.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:00 PM
Dave Harmon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Roguedog

RCU Still needs to fix the Damn time out issue for posting a thread. There's nothing more frustrating then spending 30 minutes responding to a post the get the F#$k$%g timeout error message. RCGroups doesnt' have this issue.

Yeah....I've had that problem too but not lately.
If I know I am going to write a book I do it in Word, then paste it here.
Every time I make a post here....even a short one....I copy what I have written before I send it so if it times out I just past it back in and hit it again.

Dave
Old 05-26-2013, 09:23 PM
Roguedog

There's nothing more frustrating then spending 30 minutes or an hour responding to a post then clicking the post button and getting the dreaded RCU post timeout error message and losing 5 or 10 paragraphs of text. Are you freaking kidding me. Why should I have to use a word processor on my home computer to respond to a post when I want to use more than a couple of sentences. Last sentence is not directed at you Dave but at RCU. Are you guys (RCU PTB) listening?

I forgot about this RCU problem as I had went to RCGroups due to the horrible problems RCU recently had. So the Server issue is fixed. Great!

Now how about fixing the dreaded post time-out issue. RCGroups does not have this issue, you can walk away from your computer to answer the phone or get lunch and come back an hour later, finish your post, click the post button, no problem it posts fine. Not so on RCU. I'm freaking mad as hell about this issue as i hate wasting my time.

Until this issue is fixed I'm going patronize to RCGroups and spend less time here. Why should I waste my time trying to post on a site that refuses to update their 15 year old software. I shoundn't have to use an external program to generate text to post in a thread. Just Ridiculous.

RCU needs to fix this issue!
Old 05-26-2013, 09:45 PM
Roguedog

ORIGINAL: Dave Harmon
I copy what I have written before I send it so if it times out I just past it back in and hit it again.

Dave
Yea! I used to do that as well on RCU But I got used to RCGroups wher it's not an issue. I had got out of the habit cause you don't need to do that on RCGroups. Which begs the question why should we have to do it here on RCU?

Old 05-28-2013, 04:41 AM
rcxunil2

As of this moment, I have not. Iordered in February.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:43 AM
rcxunil2

Yes, Ihave called several times now and get a message each time. Each time, I leave my name, phone number, order number and ask for a status update of some sort.

I've even suggested that they update the web site each or the outgoing voice mail with the order number they're starting with that day. That alone would help, in my opinion. I have had no response of any kind.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:14 PM
FLAPSDOWN

Either type faster or do what I do, because I can't type. Before you click "post", highlight all the text and press ctrl C to copy it. If you get denied, open another reply, click in the box, and press ctrl V, paste.

Wha lah, lost only a few seconds.

I feel bad your RC Universe experience is so miserable. Possibly you should consider sticking to RC Groups. I understand a lot of people are doing it.

Best wishes and good luck with your cyber experience.

Bill

Old 05-28-2013, 04:10 PM
Dave Harmon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: FLAPSDOWN

Either type faster or do what I do, because I can't type. Before you click ''post'', highlight all the text and press ctrl C to copy it. If you get denied, open another reply, click in the box, and press ctrl V, paste.

Wha lah, lost only a few seconds.

I feel bad your RC Universe experience is so miserable. Possibly you should consider sticking to RC Groups. I understand a lot of people are doing it.

Best wishes and good luck with your cyber experience.

Bill

Someone already said that....uhhh....oh yeah...that was ME.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:49 AM
carlgrover

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Based on the one or two people who actually received their plans a few months ago, I took a chance and ordered 3 sets myself in April. As of July 28, no plans. I called my credit card company to dispute the charges and I've gotten my money back. Maybe we'll get lucky and someone will buy them out and get the business going again.

In the meantime, I'm in the market for the Chuck Cunningham tequila bipe, Dan Santich Rapier, and a Bokkie mk II.

Carl
Old 08-18-2013, 06:52 PM
sterbejj

I ordered two plan sets from RCM Plans last February and got a confirmation number for my order. In April I was able to actually chat with someone on the phone who promised that my plans would be in the mail by the end of that week, which would have been April 26th. Still have not received the plan sets. My letters to the Gold Beach, OR postal inspector and to the Chamber of Commerce have yielded no replies. I made two queries to the Oregon Department of Justice (Consumer Protection) and got case numbers but no apparent action after two months. Now, 6 months after placing the order by credit card, it is too late to recoup my payment from the credit card company. If a whole bunch of us filed compaints with the Oregon DOJ, maybe we could get some action. The link to the on-line complaint form is: https://justice.oregon.gov/forms/consumer_complaint.asp

V/r,
Casey Sterbenz
AMA 86189
Old 08-19-2013, 11:25 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carlgrover
In the meantime, I'm in the market for the Chuck Cunningham tequila bipe, Dan Santich Rapier, and a Bokkie mk II.

Carl
Bokkie: http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2268

EDIT: Whoops --- this is a Bokkie and not the MK II

Last edited by Andrew; 08-19-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:00 AM
carlgrover

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the link. I'm looking for the Martin Irvine update to those. I've got the article but no plans yet. I'll get them one of these days. Swap meet maybe or online. I got super lucky with the Tequila plans I mentioned above too. Guy right here sent me a PDF of them.

Carl
Old 08-28-2013, 01:58 PM
limeybob
My Feedback: (6)

Default RCM Plan service

Originally Posted by Roguedog
Will,

I do know a way to enlarge then for a useable plan. You need to scan the magazine page at 1600 x 1600dpi in black and white,not color or grayscale, into a decent graphics program e.g. Photoshop works best.

Next you need to determine the the scale of the RCM plan you scanned. Simply look at the scanned RCM plan legend and use Photoshops ruler and guides to determine how many inches are represented in the scanned scale of 6in. If the scanned pages 6 inch ruler measures 3/4 of and inch on the Photoshop ruler, divid 6 inches by 3/4 (0.75) to get your scaling factor, in this case that would be 8.

Next goto the image drop down menu PS 10 select image size, then under the section document size, take one of the values, I use the page width size, and multiply that number by the scaling factor number to get the correct scale size. Make sure the constrain proprotions checkbox is checked so that the scanned page in scaled both vertically and horizontally. Do not click the OK button yet , do the next step before you click the OK button.

Next, BEFORE YOU CLICK THE OK BUTTON, change the dpi from 1600dpi to 400dpi. That way your scaling to the corrct scale and reducing the dpi at the same time. This method will keep the plans lines from getting fat. Now click the OK button.

This will give you an almost perfectly scaled plan that is very usable. Of course you will need to adapt for your own graphics app but I have done this 40 ro 50 times and you can bearly tell the difference between RCM's copy vs the scaled up one from the magazine.

The key to scaling magazine plans is scanning at 1600dpi then scaling it and reducing the dpi at the same time.

Good luck,

Bryan
Works very well, here's one I did from the latest Model aviation.
limeybob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pylon Racer AMA.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	925.0 KB
ID:	1914262  
Old 08-28-2013, 07:09 PM
Roguedog

limeybob,

Thanks for the repost. I just did a couple more today for a couple of guys over at RCG. Funny thing is one guy didn't want in tif format and suggested that I send it to outerzone so those guys could fix it right and make it a pdf. Believe it or not. You just can't help some people.

Bryan
Old 08-28-2013, 07:23 PM
limeybob

Originally Posted by Roguedog
limeybob,

Thanks for the repost. I just did a couple more today for a couple of guys over at RCG. Funny thing is one guy didn't want in tif format and suggested that I send it to outerzone so those guys could fix it right and make it a pdf. Believe it or not. You just can't help some people.

Bryan
Bryan, yes, I get lots of requests like that. Especially from Autocad, I use the CutePDF driver
My scanner only goes to 1200 dpi, and the MA plan was real small, but it came out pretty good
limeybob
Old 08-28-2013, 08:05 PM
Roguedog

Thing is I could have easily converted the tif file to a pdf. I've done about 40 from RCM magazines and My RCM Illustrated Plans Guides and his complaint was that RCM fixes it magazine plans so that you can't scale them correctly. That has not been my experience. The particular plan he mentioned was shy 4 inches in wingspan at 68 instead of 72. So naturally it's a conspiracy to keep us from scaling up their plans as fara as he's concerned.

Like i said I've done this 40 or so times now and that particular plan was the first one I ran into that didn't scale as advertised. So I'm thinking that the original person that drew the plan left out a rib or it really has a 68 in wingspan.

Go figure.

As far as the dpi, 1200dpi is just fine. I can and do use higher dip if there is a need. The key was to enlarge the plan and reduce the dpi at the same time. This like i said above keeps the lines from getting thick.

Regards.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:40 AM
limeybob

yes, I've seen that too.
its easy to check dimensions on the plan, x and y, circles are handy for that. What is worse, as I laser cut these plans, I check that the ribs for instance, actually fit the wing plan spars ect.
I've had some bad ones.
Regards
Old 09-02-2013, 01:16 PM
mjduet
My Feedback: (23)

Are you kidding, a week a month? Its been more than six months and still no plans. But my credit card was charged with in a day of my order. A follow up E-mail did not produce any reply..

MJD
Old 09-02-2013, 01:31 PM
JoeR
My Feedback: (2)

I had to call them to get the process moving. Have you tried that yet?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.