Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

futaba 12fg "!!HELP!!"

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

futaba 12fg "!!HELP!!"

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 04:08 PM
grumman-cats

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default futaba 12fg "!!HELP!!"

I'm having centering issues with my elevator. When the stick is in the middle position I can look at the servo test page and it says that it is deflected by around 50%. If you move the stick around it will very by about 5% never staying the same. this problem comes and goes with the system. also when I move the aileron stick it cause's the elevator to move but if I move the elevator the ailerons are uneffected. I believe this has already caused me to lose 1 $600 dollar airplane.

Any suggestions or has anyone else experianced this.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:13 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default RE: futaba 12fg

Theres many many questions that could come from this.... First thing, Sorry about your plane man... but do the symptoms appear with every model in the memory?... Is everything set to default? Is this a new set-up? There's probably alot of experiences with this sort of thing... for each experience there's probably a different solution...

You've got a 12FG there... chances are there's nothing wrong with the radio itself... If I were to start trouble-shooting, I'd try to answer the above questions first... Then I'd take an open memory spot in that transmitter and bind the plane to that... Start from scratch... as it sounds like theres either a mix setting that's enabled, or a channel thats linked to something somehow... which is very possible...

What leads you to believe you lost a plane due too this? ...

Whatever it is, is going to be tracked down by process of elimination... Each process should tell you something... Generally with todays radios, they don't just go on the blink, and sometimes its very easy to activate/deactivate something within the menu, while trying to set something else.. very easy to do if one isn't very careful.. Just as well.. its easy to overlook the answers unless one is very careful in the evaluation... Basically.... take some time... sit down with a drink... turn that tranny on ... and study.. that might help you determine actually if the tranny needs to go in for service..

I wish you well.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:35 AM
grumman-cats

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately it happens with all the models on the transmitter. I also was desperate and reset all data on that model to see if that would solve it. I've look through every possible selection and have found nothing that would cause this. I can't even reproduce it on another channel.

As far as the aircraft goes. I was flying along and the elevator went to a strange untrimmed posistion. I was able to compensate till I was on final to land. post crash inspection showed nothing wrong with the whole tail assembly which is the only portion to survive.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:06 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Send in for service. pot or wire may have come a drift or programming problem. I doubt you can do anything in the field unless you find a wire loose and solder it yourself.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:25 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I agree, it does sound like a mechanical or possibly even software malfunction... inotherwords.. just what TFF said. Futaba service is exceptional though... Do you know if its still under warranty? Even better if it is..

One other questiion though.. I didn't see anything pertaining to trying another reciever or servo(s).. Have you tried it on a totally different plane/flight-pack? and/or are you using a single elev servo, or dually's with any harness's/wiring involved?

Just trying to rule out anything thats possible... I'm sure you've pulled hair out trying too.. its nerve wracking when its a piece of equipment that's detrimental to your plane's survival..

I would suggest trying/checking my above questions out... but unless theres' a significant break-through(like a setting was wrong..probably not likely..but..).. I'd send it in also..

Part of the reason I'm slightly wondering here... just yesterday a friend was having problems with his 9CA.. he couldn't get ch.5 AT ALL.. nothin, nada, zip.. He called frantic wondering how to send his tranny in.. he was sure ch.5 was blown.. So I shared the Futaba service website.. had a conversation.. hung up.. thought about it.. went to my 9CA and played with mine...
Called him up after I found a few possiblilities.. went over and had his reset in 4 minutes... There was a selection on the aileron mixing that was set to "ch5 or ch6".. which is fine if you're not using retracts in ch.5.. he was.. I reset it to the correct setting.. and all was done..

I did ask him.. and I ask you if you're transmitter has recently been dropped or mishandled.. his hadn't.. but his was also 10yrs old... I doubt yours is near that old.. they didn't have a 12FG back then..
Just food for thought.. You'll be in good hands with Futaba service though.. no doubt about that.