Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

tornando s30 engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 04:18 PM
tyler19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tornando s30 engine problems

I am having a problems with my Tornado s30 and I need some help with some trouble shooting. I ran my Tornado through the break in process then ran it a couple times with no problems, it sat in my basement for about a month since I haven't had time to run it, I did put after run oil in it after every time I was done running it, went to run it the other day and the pull start seems like its stuck, took the glo plug out and tried to pull the starter and I couldn't pull it at all, tried turning the flywheel and that won't turn with or without the glo plug. Could the engine be ceased up already or is it something else i'm overlooking? Thanks for any help.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:14 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: tornando s30 engine problems

If you can't turn the flywheel then it's the engine that is locked up. Have you been bringing the piston back to the bottom after running? If not the sleeve may have it bound up. Try heating up the engine with a hair dryer to see if you can get the sleeve to expand enough to rotate the crank.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:48 PM
rchobbyunlimited

Yes that is correct if it was not cooled down at BDC the piston will pinch in the sleeve and cause it to lock up. Just remove the engine take off the back plate to the engine and used a hair dryer as dad stated once the engine gets hot turn the fly wheel with your hand and put in some after run oil to help it heat up and eventually it will turn again. Re install the engine and it should run as good as new. Thats another good reason why its always best to have a new engine cool down at BDC bottom dead center.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:53 PM
tyler19

Thanks Dads, I did heat it up and managed to get it unlocked but it is still very hard to pull the starter and I can't get it to start. I got it at BDC , It seems the more I pull the the harder it gets and it seems to lockup again, I heat it up to unlock it but it seems to keep locking up on me, not sure what to do from here.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:29 PM
Dads like rc too

Have you tried heating it up with the engine in place ready to run? The last sh .18 I broke in was very tight. If you can get it started it will loosen up after a few tanks. Also, that engine primes very fast so make sure your not fighting a flooded engine.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:26 PM
rchobbyunlimited

When you take out the glow plug is it still hard to pull? Sounds like you are flooding it.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:51 PM
tyler19

Yes I have tried to heat up the head to get it started but still have no luck, and yes its a flood issue, it seems to prime quickly. How can I correct the flood issue, beside taking glo plug out and pulling the starter a couple times? I don't understand what to do next I broke it in and ran it about 4 times with no problems and now it won't even try to turn over. Do I need to adjust the carb gap, HSN or LSN? Running out of ideas to get it back up and running.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:53 PM
tyler19

Yes I have tried to heat up the head to get it started but still have no luck, and yes its a flood issue, it seems to prime quickly. How can I correct the flood issue, beside taking glo plug out and pulling the starter a couple times? I don't understand what to do next I broke it in and ran it about 4 times with no problems and now it won't even try to turn over. Do I need to adjust the carb gap, HSN or LSN? Running out of ideas to get it back up and running.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:16 PM
Dads like rc too

What adjustments have you made to your needles? Sounds like a tuning issue. You can just run your hsn and LSN out counter clockwise until they're flush and re-tune from there.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:37 AM
ou2mame

If you keep flooding the engine you are over priming. Take the plug out and crank it til the fuel comes out. Take the fuel line off and pull it a few times then put it back in. Make sure your glow plug is good while it's out.. They burn out breaking the engine in. After that, make sure the glow plug starter is charged... And bring the needles to stock if you messed with them since the last time you ran it. What i do is make the low rich and try leaning it til it starts. Then run it and do the same to the high.