Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

EXPERT PILOTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 12:59 PM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: EXPERT PILOTS

there is no expert pilot in control line only expert conrtrole line guys... IE . the word piliot i think refers to a wider gambit of flight then just two axes of control .. i think alot has changed in the game and its just really two differnt beast ...

sorry not trying to be mean .. just being real

Old 06-13-2013, 01:20 PM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: sensei

Just a question, what criteria defines an expert pilot, I am one of those that reads many posts, I then go into the profile of those posting and I see allot of guys stating they are expert pilots, I consider myself and advanced pilot after many years of flying so lets hear some other opinions boys and girls.

Bob
I would think any "expert" would be defined as one that has complete control of his plane and could make it do what ever he wanted it to do with easy every time, kind of like hitting the bulls eye at will, so if you can do that then I guess your and "expert"
TB

Old 06-13-2013, 03:39 PM
abelard

An ex is a has-been. A spurt is a drip under pressure.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:36 PM
byrne1157

I suppose that, since I have a Hobby that is geared to the building, modifying, and flying of r/c aircraft, I shall never be an "Expert" . If I had unlimited funds, time, and/or Manufacturer Sponsorship, (such as the ones you listed) I could become what some would consider to be an "Expert Pilot". Those guys are in a different class, more professional, rather than "Hobbyist".
Old 06-13-2013, 06:18 PM
Rob2160

Here is a definition that I found... it explains "Expert" nicely..

An expert (Audio (US)<small class="metadata audiolinkinfo" style="cursor: help;">(help·info)</small>, also called cognoscente<sup id="cite_ref-1" class="reference">[1]</sup>) is someone widely recognized as a reliable source of technique or skill whose faculty for judging or deciding rightly, justly, or wisely is accorded authority and status by their peers or the public in a specific well-distinguished domain. An expert, more generally, is a person with extensive knowledge or ability based on research, experience, or occupation and in a particular area of study. Experts are called in for advice on their respective subject, but they do not always agree on the particulars of a field of study. An expert can be, by virtue of credential, training, education, profession, publication or experience, believed to have special knowledge of a subject beyond that of the average person, sufficient that others may officially (and legally) rely upon the individual's opinion. Historically, an expert was referred to as a sage (Sophos). The individual was usually a profound thinker distinguished for wisdom and sound judgment.

Anyone who "claims" to be an expert probably isn't.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:26 PM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: TonyBuilder

Just a question, what criteria defines an expert pilot, I am one of those that reads many posts, I then go into the profile of those posting and I see allot of guys stating they are expert pilots, I consider myself and advanced pilot after many years of flying so lets hear some other opinions boys and girls.

Bob
I would think any "expert" would be defined as one that has complete control of his plane and could make it do what ever he wanted it to do with easy every time, kind of like hitting the bulls eye at will, so if you can do that then I guess your and "expert"
TB
Yes, that's a fair call.. I'd say Pilots could be generally classed as.
  1. Incompetent - IE higly likely to crash every time
  2. Below Average - Can fly and land safetly sometimes
  3. Average - Flies reasonably well but occasionally makes a wrong move resulting in a crash
  4. Above Average - Basically never crashes with aircraft he is familiar with
  5. Highly Proficient - Can fly any aircraft and will never crash due to pilot error
  6. Expert - Flies like Hanno Prettner or Justin Jee.
Watch this kid fly and I think we can all agree he is an expert Pilot..... by this definition I will never be an Expert...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XnwrCC0YEQ[/youtube]
Old 06-13-2013, 06:44 PM
Nordicz
My Feedback: (7)

Well I am not sure if I can define it. But I'll certainly know it when I see it.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:43 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Two experts pilots.. one in the cockpit and other at the microphone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRURB7FdsII

By the way, this is the pilot at the mic:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=27393437
Old 06-14-2013, 03:11 AM
sealh4
My Feedback: (19)

Expert and Pilot together is an Oxymoron (is a figure of speech that combines contradictory terms) especially in this hobby. LOL
Old 06-14-2013, 03:48 AM
siberianhusky

All I know is never trust ANYBODY who goes to great lengths to tell you he is an expert!
I'm new to planes but have been racing boats for 25 years or so, we have one "expert" who comes out to the pond regularly, spouts all kinds of advice to anybody who will listen, yet has never brought a boat to the pond........Never seen him with a boat!?!?!
Can I be an expert on crashing and repairs after 3 months of flying? Seem to be pretty good at that aspect!
Old 06-14-2013, 04:25 AM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

C'mon now! Everybody knows there's no doubt who the expert pilot is. Just be patient for about 10 seconds and he'll tell you himself.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:21 AM
tkline

Haha reading this just made me wander how many people went to their profile and changed the rating they gave themselves!!
Old 06-14-2013, 06:35 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP wants to know, what?....If you go back and read what he wrote you would realize that the issue in question came up after seeing people's profiles on RCU. Why RCU would even ask such a question should be questioned....there are, what, 3 categories? If I recall, Beginner, Inermediate, Expert? Considering the confines of RCU's request for info, personally, I think youse guys have read waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy too much into this.

Within the RCU limits, many many of you qualify as expert pilots. Also if I recall, RCU didn't ask whether you flew planes (RC, CL, FreeFlight) or Helis (RC, Free Flight) or anything else flyable (broomsticks??). I suppose they took the "RC" is RCU literaly and implied RC only, which is limitingby it's own accord.

To me, the real reason RCU asked the question to begin with deals much more with advertising pricing giventhedemographicthat regularly views and posts, than anything else. Higher expert demographic might allow higher pricing for example. Or NOT!

That doesn't mean the thread wasn't a fun read.....I even laffed a couple times
Old 06-14-2013, 06:48 AM
essyou35

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Oh Hi guys. Hey question.

I pay someone to build my arfs for me. Then I am too scared to maiden them. Then I pay my buddy to fly my stuff for me BUT I do take a couple laps here and there. However, I do talk LOTS of crap.
Oh wait I do have a falcon 120 I fly and I critize everyone else flying real jets.

Do you guys agree that I should mark GOD instead of expert?
Old 06-14-2013, 06:57 AM
LargeScale88

I think an expert pilot is someone who has experience in flying several types and variations of aircraft and can safely operate them, but an expert pilot IMO is someone who is still willing to learn and advance and ask questions. People think because they can fly a certain airplane, they are an "expert" pilot and they have that attitude. Thats not what being an "expert" pilot is about.

Jason
Old 06-14-2013, 07:24 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

iam with you on that jason>>>>>>>allen
Old 06-14-2013, 09:21 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Here's my thought on this. He can fly most anything, he can explain the how and why the plane works and is willing to teach. I've known some very good pilots that can't do the set up but can bend the sticks.
But in the end a expert is one I will let fly mine.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:01 AM
fly24-7

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

wish i had his money to do that where is aroura ill iam from peoria ill have not been home in 25 yrs
Aurora is about 2 1/2 hours North of Peoria and 40 miles west of downtown Chicago. I know Peoria well. I went to school at Bradley University from 1991-1994.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:05 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

When is a full scale pilot considered an "EXPERT" pilot?

When he can do anything with any plane, like say Tex Johnson or Chuck Yeager? They would definitely fit my definition of an "EXPERT". Does that mean Patty Wagstaff is not an "Expert"? I'm not aware that she ever flew a 707 or an SR71, but she is an "EXPERT" in my book.

I will never be an "EXPERT" pilot. There are some planes I care nothing about trying to fly. I consider myself an "ADVANCED" pilot because I can do just about anything I want to do without crashing the planes I choose to fly. These range from Cubs to sport planes to EDF's, but not giant warbirds, or jets, and I'm still a beginner flying off the water, therefore I don't consider myself an expert. I might be considered by some to be an expert with certain planes that I fly most often, and I certainly am the expert with a couple planes that I built from scratch, but you will never hear me call myself an expert. True "EXPERTS" don't have to tell you that they are, everyone around them recognizes that they are.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:13 PM
planedriver_2

ORIGINAL: LargeScale88

I think an expert pilot is someone who has experience in flying several types and variations of aircraft and can safely operate them, but an expert pilot IMO is someone who is still willing to learn and advance and ask questions. People think because they can fly a certain airplane, they are an ''expert'' pilot and they have that attitude. Thats not what being an ''expert'' pilot is about.

Jason

Well Spoken !!!
Old 06-14-2013, 02:13 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

You want to find experts RC pilots? Comming up in August there is the World Competition in South Africa.
They are experts pilots from all over the world. 
We should be proud of our USA team
Old 06-15-2013, 03:34 AM
on_your_six

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An expert is someone you TRUST to fly your $10K (and up) aircraft.

Point being.. some one you trust.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:56 AM
w0mbat
My Feedback: (1)

In my experience, a person becomes an "expert" after 40 years in the hobby. If I had a nickel for every time I heard the phrase "I know what I'm talking about because I've been flying for 40 years!" I would be very wealthy!
Old 06-15-2013, 03:39 PM
karlik

ORIGINAL: karlik

... what criteria defines an expert pilot...

Bob
Same criteria that defines a cryptozoologist.

I understood the original question, and I stand by my answer. There is no criteria - pretty much if you say you are one, you are one.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:03 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Guys who can fly the.....
Complete AMA stunt pattern over asphalt with "rulebook" accuracy are expert pilots.
The RC Pattern routines as defined by the rules.....
Pylon racers in all classes who are consistantly "in the money" are also experts.
3D flyers who are able to perform their magic [in front of 100s of spectators no less] are experts.
Payload competitors...well this event will make fairly competent flyers look like fools, but you're looking at another sort of competition that challenges you to gain expert skills or else bring out the Shop Vac and the Hefty Bags.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.