Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig 1/5 Cub Pre-Build Planning Help

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig 1/5 Cub Pre-Build Planning Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 11:45 AM
jstyle13
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig 1/5 Cub Pre-Build Planning Help

***** Update ******

I started on the kit a few weeks ago. I started with the wings (cause the guy I bought the kit from apparently took the engine mount out before he sold it to me) which I just finished up. I will probably finish the tail up before I get cracking on the fuse.

ENGINE
I scored a new Saito 72GK (for $230!) to power it as I opted for the bigger motor since I will be adding several scale mods which might make the extra power nice. I'm also going to use the McDaniel glow driver [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/super-digital-on-board-glow-driver-system-MCD466]Linky[/link] since it will be mounted inverted. The driver system should make things a lot easier and I'm hoping it will make it purr at idle. Anyone know what kind of idle RPM I should be able to get with the driver system? I get ~2200rpm with my Saito 56 I have on my Kadet. I ordered a 90 deg elbow [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/muffler-right-angle-manifold-m12-65-100-fg14-82-SAI65163]Linky[/link] to try and keep the Saito muffler tucked into the cowl which I'm afraid it wont and I will have to order the flex pipe [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/flexible-exhaust-pipe-right-dd-vv-SAI182TD1112]Linky[/link] in order to get it looking the way I want.

ACCESSORIES
I went with the Robart gear cause these make the cub look pretty awesome and from what I read are a welcome addition for landing the airplane as well. I also ordered and put together the Continental engine kit from TopNotchProducts.com [link=http://topnotchkits.com/index_files/TN_Kit11.htm]Linky[/link] which looks incredible and I can't wait to see it on the airplane. I also plan to order the TruTurn hub [link=http://www.truturn.com/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi? p_id=tth1000a&ppinc=prophubs&exact_match=on]Link[/link] to finish the front end. All this extra weight is why I opted for the 72 over the 56/65 size motor.

I still plan to cover it with cloth and was going to go with Solartex Cub Yellow but after seeing the color scheme Rv7Garage has on his I may have just changed my mind. Rv is that the 'antique' color?? It looks awesome. I wonder if solartex makes it in a similar color cause I gotta admit that looks incredible. Does anyone make a wheel hub to match that color though because I've already bought the yellow wheels hubs.

This is an excellent kit and is coming together nicely. I'll get some pictures up when I get closer to getting it all done.

Thanks!

JJ[8D]
Old 06-11-2013, 12:01 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Don't forget to line up the engine on the plans to see what modifications you need to make before starting the fuselage.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:08 PM
jstyle13

ORIGINAL: FlyerInOKC

Don't forget to line up the engine on the plans to see what modifications you need to make before starting the fuselage.
Can you elaborate on that for me? Not sure what you mean by that. Are you talking about the possibility of having to move the firewall back to accommodate the 72 size motor (which is something I'm already worried about). I'll take all the build advice I can get. I wanna do this thing right.

Thanks!

JJ[8D]
Old 06-11-2013, 01:22 PM
FlyerInOKC

ORIGINAL: jstyle13

Can you elaborate on that for me? Not sure what you mean by that. Are you talking about the possibility of having to move the firewall back to accommodate the 72 size motor (which is something I'm already worried about). I'll take all the build advice I can get. I wanna do this thing right.

Thanks!

JJ[8D]
When I built my SIG 1/5th Cub powered by an old Saito .80 engine I had choice to build a box firewall, move back the firewall, or get a longer cowling. I chose the box firewall. This did require me to move the fuel tank back. I used a Hanger 9 remote glowplug connection and a DuBro fueler valve with the provided bracket. I also have the Robart Gear installed. I added a 90 degree exhaust fitting from a Saito twin to get the stock pipe and muffler to come out the bottom of the cowling. I can send pictures of my Cub if you like. The needle valve was a little tricky but on my old Saito it is setup to allow a piece of piano wire to be used between the needle valve and it's outer knob. Moving the firewall back would have worked if you cut a new oversize firewall to allow for the tapper of the nose. I got the idea from a box firewall in a Fokker DR1. It lets you keep the nose short while using a long engine.

Mike
Old 06-11-2013, 02:59 PM
jstyle13

ORIGINAL: jstyle13

Thanks!

JJ[8D]
When I built my SIG 1/5th Cub powered by an old Saito .80 engine I had choice to build a box firewall, move back the firewall, or get a longer cowling. I chose the box firewall. This did require me to move the fuel tank back. I used a Hanger 9 remote glowplug connection and a DuBro fueler valve with the provided bracket. I also have the Robart Gear installed. I added a 90 degree exhaust fitting from a Saito twin to get the stock pipe and muffler to come out the bottom of the cowling. I can send pictures of my Cub if you like. The needle valve was a little tricky but on my old Saito it is setup to allow a piece of piano wire to be used between the needle valve and it's outer knob. Moving the firewall back would have worked if you cut a new oversize firewall to allow for the tapper of the nose. I got the idea from a box firewall in a Fokker DR1. It lets you keep the nose short while using a long engine.

Mike
Pictures of that would be awesome. I've been trying to figure out if the 72 is going to fit with the stock firewall/cowl. I've seen several pictures of guys who have moved the firewall back but I'm not sure how that's going to work since the fuel tank already sticks out so much into the cockpit. Can you move the wall back and keep the 12oz tank or do you have to downsize? Is it pretty straight forward moving the firewall back to accommodate the bigger motor?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77914.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	1890985  
Old 06-11-2013, 07:56 PM
FlyerInOKC

I will take some pictures for you in the next few days and post them here. In my case I just moved the tank 1" back and into the cockpit, built as designed the back end of the tank is see from the cockpit any way. You'll see when I get the pictures taken.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:39 PM
smkrcflyer

I have this kit also and I will be using a Saito 90 twin. I'm going to do the cowl like rv7garage. Do you think the stock one is heavy enough to do this or should I get one from Fiberglass Specialties?
Old 06-16-2013, 06:28 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jstyle13- sorry for the late response, and thanks for the compliment . I used Nelson Hobby Specialties cream color paint for mine, and chromate green on the tail & cowl. I sent a reply to your email as well.

Steve- personally, I think that the cowl is fine for everyday use, but it depends on how you attach it. It took me a looong time to get it shaped right, and I ended up having to order a replacement from Sig because I just wasn't satisfied with the way the first try came out.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:42 PM
FlyerInOKC

Better late than never I hope they help!

Name:	Qo38925.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	1893907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91110.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	1893908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv53821.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	1893909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl24533.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	1893910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj63714.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	1893911  
Old 06-25-2013, 06:25 AM
FlyerInOKC

More pics JJ.

Name:	Ki20162.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	1894931   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45744.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	1894932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dj11427.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	1894933  
Old 05-04-2014, 11:03 AM
Rv7garage

Bump! For progress report

where you at, J?
Old 05-05-2014, 06:50 AM
FlyerInOKC

Yeah! inquiring minds want to know!
Old 05-05-2014, 08:56 AM
jstyle13

Originally Posted by Rv7garage
Bump! For progress report

where you at, J?
Funny you asked this week because I just finished up and fired up the motor for the first time. It's been a 10 month build but I think I will have it up in the air this weekend or next. I was gonna take a bunch of pictures and some video from the maiden this weekend and post after that.

RV you were definitely right about the last 90% of the build taking the longest time! All the detail stuff took forever after I got the painting(which also took forever) done. Lots of little tidbits to do once the bulk of the building is done but hey that's what makes this hobby fun. I haven't finished detailing the cockpit area and will fool with that after I get some flights on it.

I've put about 3 tanks through the engine and I'm still trying to dial in the needles. The McDaniels on-board glow driver system is pretty friggen sweet and makes starting a breeze. I've also got it mixed so that it only comes on during the bottom 10% or so of the power band and I've already got the idle down to about 1800 rpms even though the engine is still brand new. Hopefully with the glow driver system I'll be able to get another 100-200 lower on the idle down the road.

I ended up going with the AR7010 receiver so that I could split the ailerons, add the glow driver, add a TM1000 and also have the extra channel for the micro servo to open and close the top half of the doors for scale affect on taxi in and out. Will look pretty cool when I get a pilot in there. I haven't weighed the plane but with the paint, Top notch engine kit, glow driver, prop hub, Robart gear and 6v NiMh, this thing is gonna be heavy. But the Saito 72 with a 14" prop should putt-putt through the sky with a scale look which is what I want.

It has been a fun build. I did get a little side tracked when I bought and outfitted my 50cc AW Yak55m in January and February. I got a hankering for a 3d airplane and decided to pull the trigger on the yak. Now I'm already thinking about building the Top Flite GS P47, but it may be a while before the wife gives me a the green light to start another (pricey) build. For now though I'm looking forward to getting the cub airborne. I'll upload some more pics/video after she flies!

JJ

http://youtu.be/BOrWfHx2bEU

Name:	cubbench.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	1992700   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140416_161339.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	1992701  
Old 05-05-2014, 10:36 AM
cubcrasher

Beautiful job there jstyle. Thats definately one to be proud of.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:13 PM
Rv7garage

Looking nice! Congrats! That Cub is somehow familiar, lol

Did you end up using the Nelson paint, and if so did you spray or foam brush?
Old 05-06-2014, 04:28 AM
FlyerInOKC

You know no one likes a show off, except on RCU!
Old 05-06-2014, 07:01 AM
jstyle13

Originally Posted by Rv7garage
Looking nice! Congrats! That Cub is somehow familiar, lol

Did you end up using the Nelson paint, and if so did you spray or foam brush?
Hey now, I was very upfront about how much I liked your plane and my intentions to do the same scheme ! I ended up using the nelson paint and I did brush the whole thing on. I did about 4 coats on all the surfaces. Only did 1 coat of the clear and it came out a little streakier than I intended, but I may have not thinned it enough and/or I should have done a couple more coats but by then I was so tired of painting I said 1 coat of clear is enough!

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
You know no one likes a show off, except on RCU!
As much time and effort as we put into these planes, anyone that doesn't show off is crazy! But everyone on here that builds knows what kind of effort goes into these things so it's more of an appreciation thing. But yes I am very proud of it, especially since it's my second build. But now I'm almost to nervous to fly the thing! I'm scared something will go wrong and the thought of crashing it is pretty scary lol.

JJ
Old 05-06-2014, 07:27 AM
Rv7garage

Sorry, sorry! I was only giving you crap They say imitation is the best form of flattery after all! To be honest, your plane turned out better looking than mine, I think. I might strip the green off my cowl and paint it cream. And I'm in the same boat about flying mine: she only comes out when the weather is just right !

Congratulatiions again, man. You did a fantastic job
Old 05-06-2014, 07:51 AM
FlyerInOKC

And JJ you earned bragging rights in addition to showing your work off!