Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

180rx startup sputter

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

180rx startup sputter

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 06:41 PM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 180rx startup sputter

Started my 180rx in my new hawk tonight. Started fine. But, it did sputter a bit with flame visible between the tailbone and bell mouth/pipe.
Am I always going to have a little flame there on startup? With the exception of the idle auto tube I am not sure there is much I can change. Numbers look good in gsu. Once it got going the idle was fine, not hunting. So I don't know that autotune will help anyway.
I am going to paint a bit more heat shield around though...
I have 0.70-75" of clearance between tailcone and bell mouth as per jetcat diagram.
Thanks
Dave
Old 06-29-2013, 06:54 PM
paulhat

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: 180rx startup sputter

Hi Dave.

Do you have your manual shut off valve closed when fuelling? Fuel can leak past the solenoids while fuelling and cause starting splutter.
I think its normal to get a bit of splutter. Especially on first start of the day.
My definition of splutter is short bursts of flame. Anything longer than a short burst is a fire

Paul.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:04 PM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi
Yes fuel valve shut during fill. I also had just purged the fuel line...then had a short dry segment from the festo to the turbine (8"?).
I watched it flow gently in an start with appropriate rise in temps, similar to my 200 sx.
I will know more I guess after next start....I am running 2 cell LiMn but no trouble according to the gsu.

Thanks
Dave
Old 06-30-2013, 06:22 AM
mario tavarez14
My Feedback: (37)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok i went to the same problem with my 180RX in idle the engine aputter and i turn the (auto tune on)them problem fix.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:44 AM
mario tavarez14
My Feedback: (37)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11409196/tm.htm