Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 06:34 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2M Monolog Build

ORIGINAL: mups53

ORIGINAL: LD24

Has anybody noticed that my workbench is in my living room... ;^)
I noticed. Nothing screams I'm single better than a living room workshop!
But hey I like it.
The ML 2M sales have really picked up till the point where we are out till mid July.
It's a ''people see people like it kind of plane''. Better up front and personal than in pictures.
The plane flys really well.
Here's Steve Striker's ML 2M. He wanted a different scheme. He has told me that's happy with the way the plane flys.
BTW the ML 110 sales have been brsik as of late also. The $245 sale price helps.
Nice build thread Larry. Thanks, Mike
It does look a little better in person. An F3A forward canopy option would do wonders for the airplane.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:36 AM
luckymacy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rcpattern

Lucky

On Taras I am flying the wings, stabs and motor stock. Have not had to move anything on hers, or the two others Ive trimmed.

Arch
Next time you can, just before you put on the canopy to go fly, test where your CG is relative to the front of the wing tube. Thx.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:14 AM
DRC1
My Feedback: (10)

Stopped last night about midnight... I work slow... LOL

The mains are on and it took a bit to figure out exactly how to assemble the main gear...

So, have a pair of hemostats and a very thin 5.5mm wrench that comes with an OS engine I think...

Here is the order:

1) The long screw goes through the outside of the wheel pants.
2) 2mm wood spacers supplied in the kit (I had to sand one down to center the wheel in the pants)
3) The wheel
4) The first nylon lock nut installed backwards and tightened to allow the wheel to roll freely.
5) Flat washer
6) Thread through the inside of the wheel pants
7) The main gear
8) The flat washer
9) Nylon Lock Nut

You will need the thin 5.5mm wrench for step 4 and hemostats for 4 and 5.

Hope this saves time for somebody else... Took a while for me LOL... Did I say first time build?

Here is a pic with the Mains installed...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83565.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	1884239  
Old 05-22-2013, 08:19 AM
DRC1

Continuing the build this morning... I didn't use the stock tail wheel. I had an Titanium tail wheel assembly I had my first plane I flew in a contest. I kept the tail wheel assembly when I sold the plane... Always thinking hey, I can use it down the road... Great idea, and wouldn't you know... 10 Years later... LMAO

Had a disappointment with the Castle Ice 2 HV 80 ESC had the plastic housing cracked. I called Castle, and wow... what service... a new case is on it's way... Doesn't slow me down a bit...

Gettin closer to completion...
Old 05-22-2013, 09:15 AM
JRgraham
My Feedback: (1)

Looking pretty good!
Old 05-22-2013, 12:31 PM
DRC1

This took a little time, but I think it was well worth it... The kit didn't come with a tray for the ESC. So I had to make one. I will be mounting the ESC using some washers with rubber. This should help with any vibration issues. I'll be using loctite paste to secure fasterns. I don't like the liquid loctite as it runs all over and attacks some plastics. The paste doesn have this issue and it stays where you put it...

Becky, ohhh did I say I have a new GF... Since December 30th... , anyway... Becky helped me with weighing everything left to put in the plane. I checked the weight with everything still in the package to add some buffer...

The plane w/ two 5s 5000 30C/40C batteries andready to fly should come in between 4.8Kg to 4.9Kg (10.75 pounds +/-), even after painting the canopy and the main gear...

I checked the weight of my CF and FG Nomex panels. the CF Nomex is ~.58 grams per sq.in. and the FG Nomex is ~.36 grams per sq.in.

CF looks much better and does save some weight so I did the ESC tray with CF Nomex. I'll attack the battery tray next.

Here is some pics of the ESC tray, ohhh... did I say the ESC tray came out to 8 grams...?

Name:	Vt56589.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	1884285   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76035.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	1884286  
Old 05-22-2013, 03:02 PM
DRC1

Here is a pic with the ESC tray installed...

Name:	Jh14768.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	1884347  
Old 05-22-2013, 03:07 PM
DRC1

Still waiting for the Oooops Truck, I mean the Big Brown UPS truck to show up with my new soldering station. I didn't want to try and solder this stuff with my old solder gun and radio shack 30W soldering iron.

While I was waiting, I started on the new battery tray, using the old one as a template.

I used the CF Nomex and I'll save another 5 grams replacing the 3mm plywood tray... Ohhh and it looks better than ply wood...

Here is the pic...

Name:	Db84516.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	1884352  
Old 05-22-2013, 03:27 PM
DRC1

Big Brown Truck just showed up... Gettin close....
Old 05-28-2013, 06:34 AM
DRC1

The maiden flight was yesterday…
I would like to thank Mark Atwood and Mike Mueller for talking me into electric… Now I’m ready to sell my DZ glow stuff…
The plane seems to be fine on the cooling for batteries and the ESC. After flying the sequence twice (2 sets of batteries) the batteries and the esc were slightly warm, read as cooler than expected. I’ll post the final build pics and write ups later this week… I've been too busy building till 3am to get this plane ready for D4 contest this weekend. I’ll be bringing a newbie Sportsman with me as well…
I’m at exactly 5,000 grams… I can easily shed weight going to smaller capacity Rx batteries and/or main batteries. I’m running redundant Rx 850mAh Lipos.
Painting the gear and the canopy was a big weight penalty… However, I could probably trim down to a 10-3/4lb, orbetter, easily enough though. If I wanted to go with a CF prop/spinner, CF gear, lower capacity batteries and/or single Rx battery, I think there is room to shave about 200+/- plus grams. I’m flying Intermediate, I think I will just leave it alone for now and fly…
All in all, I’m pleased with how it flies. The wind settled down to around 10mph, so I took the maiden flight albeit a short flight of about 3 minutes after taxiing about 5 minutes. Very little trim adjustments and CG is perfect on the wing tube. Rolls very nice and the best rolls I have ever done
The winds picked up to pretty close to 20mph straight down the runway and I flew the sequence for the first time since September 2010. Also the first time I flew a 2M Pattern plane since 2007… lol
Flying into the wind seemed like the plane was really struggling to makegood speed into the wind… Then I pulled vertical and it shot up like a ballistic rocket… I went from full throttle on a horizontal line to about 2/3 throttle on the vertical up line… I guess there was a strong headwind…
I haven’t sealed the flying surfaces yet. I notice the trim was way off on ailerons. Then I notice that the hinge line was way off on the right Aileron. So after this weekend, I will cut the aileron off and reset it before sealing the control surfaces… I need about 2 degrees of right aileron to trim for level flight. Elevators seem right on… But really tough to tell with the wind blowing like it was.
Now to sort out the landings… I forgot how a 2M plane just floats…
Old 05-29-2013, 05:27 AM
DRC1

Here is the battery performance for the first three flights...

Conditions: Windy 15 - 20mph/gusting 25+ at times straight down the runway.

Rx Batteries: Two 2s Lipo 850mAh capacity -Put back in~100mAh/battery after taxiing, maiden flight of about 3 minutes and two intermediate sequences with about 5 minutes extra flight time.

Main Battery - 5000mAh 30C/40C

1st Set - Taxiing and maiden flight - Put back in~2700mAh each

2nd Set - 1st full Intermediate sequence plus~2 minutes additional flight time - Put back in3100mAh each

3rd Set -2nd full Intermediate sequencewithno additional flight time - Put back in2750mAh each, with winds between 15-20mph/gusting to 25mph

Sounds like everything is exactly where I was expecting based on responses to my questions and reading battery performance post on the NSRCA discussion forum..

Old 05-29-2013, 07:16 AM
DRC1

Here is a picture of my new ride... before the maiden just in case... LMAO... The maiden was successful...

The pictures were berfore the intake/exhaust cutout were completed...

Name:	Ax73110.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	1886762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60965.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	1886763  
Old 05-29-2013, 10:40 AM
DRC1

I will post the rest of the build pics later...Great looking plane...
Old 06-04-2013, 05:06 AM
DRC1

ORIGINAL: luckymacy

ORIGINAL: rcpattern

Lucky

On Taras I am flying the wings, stabs and motor stock. Have not had to move anything on hers, or the two others Ive trimmed.

Arch
Next time you can, just before you put on the canopy to go fly, test where your CG is relative to the front of the wing tube. Thx.
I set the CG centered on the wing tube... For me it's perfect... No need to change it...
Old 06-05-2013, 05:17 AM
Jeff Worsham
My Feedback: (28)

Nice job on your Monolog and congratulations on a great result. Welcome back to pattern- now go fly the snot outa that thing!
Old 07-08-2013, 12:03 PM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Hey guys we have been out of stock on these for the last 2 months but will have more in this week.
http://www.f3aunlimited.com/webstore...roducts_id=475
We have package deals available too.
The popularity of this plane has really improved because the people flying it are pretty happy with it's performance.
Here's a picture of Steve Sobolewski's new ML 2M that we were flying on Saturday.
Steve let 2 new guys who have never flown a 2Meter pattern plane give it a go and both couldn't believe what a smooth flying plane it is.
I love it when that happens. Guys who have been flying sport planes for years a lot of them never get to fly a well made and trimmed out plane like this. That's fun!!!
Take care see you at the Nationals, Mike Mueller

Name:	Rp42627.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	1898678  
Old 07-08-2013, 02:39 PM
Jeff Worsham

Mike- what size wheels are you guys using on those grass fields? And do you use the stock BJ Craft pants on grass as well?
Old 07-08-2013, 03:01 PM
rm
My Feedback: (27)

U should see about getting some of these as an arc. 3 in d4 that I know of and 2 don't look like the original. I'll prob be interested in 1 or 2 new ones at the end of the yr.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:47 PM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Hi LD24,

An easy (but not so cheap) way to save probably around 100 gram, if You want to start hunt weight, is just going to carbon prop and spinner as You said earlier.
Falcon has both, and quality is outstanding, and weight is featherlight. I have Falcon V2 carbon prop and spinner myself (had APC and plastic spinner before) and in my case I saved 103 gram by doing that on my MythoS 125E. F3A Unlimited has Falcon props and spinners in US.

/Bo
Old 07-09-2013, 05:33 AM
DRC1

ORIGINAL: bem

Hi LD24,

An easy (but not so cheap) way to save probably around 100 gram, if You want to start hunt weight, is just going to carbon prop and spinner as You said earlier.
Falcon has both, and quality is outstanding, and weight is featherlight. I have Falcon V2 carbon prop and spinner myself (had APC and plastic spinner before) and in my case I saved 103 gram by doing that on my MythoS 125E. F3A Unlimited has Falcon props and spinners in US.

/Bo
I agree, there are a number of options for me to lose weight on the Monolog. However, since I don't plan on attending the NATS, I'm not too concerned at this point. I'm very close to the 5Kg limit and I think the rules allow a bit more for intermediate. Since I've started flying pattern, nobody has checked the weight at a District Contest anyway...

The Monolog is a great flying plane. I'm just about finished with the LG Block repair and I still need to post the rest of the build and repair pics for this thread.

I just got back from San Diego,visiting my son who is stationed on a ship there. Who would have thought 30 years ago when I was on a ship in San Diego that I would have a son I would visit 30 years later. Very cool taking him to my old stomping grounds... Priceless showing up at his ship unannounced (except a courtesy call to his Chief). Being retired has its benefits... LOL...

Any way, back to the Monolog... Just gonna fly it and hit some contests... I'm not too worried about the weight. If I didn't paint the LG, Wheel Pants, and Canopy... weight would not be an issue. But man, the blue looks awesome...

LD
Old 07-09-2013, 05:36 AM
mups53

Hey Robert I could look into that for you. I don't think the savings is going to be that dramatic but who knows a little here and a little there andyou know.You might be on to something here.
I have seen some of the custom scheme's and all of them are pretty cool.
I'm always amazed how much the ML 2M flys like the Prolog.
Bo you are 100% correct.
Falcon started the ultra light prop trend. I will however tell you that the PT Lite and the Mejzlick lite props are just as nice.
The 20.5x14 lite PT is actually cheaper too.
http://www.f3aunlimited.com/webstore...roducts_id=762
Old 07-09-2013, 05:52 AM
mups53

ORIGINAL: Jeff Worsham

Mike- what size wheels are you guys using on those grass fields? And do you use the stock BJ Craft pants on grass as well?
Hey Jeff I've been using the MPI2.25 Ultra lite's
http://www.f3aunlimited.com/webstore...roducts_id=724
You might be able to sandwich in the 2.5's.
Grass is tough you may need a larger wheel pant like the PT
http://www.f3aunlimited.com/webstore...roducts_id=386
With the PT you could go 60MM easily
Hope that helps. Mike
Old 07-09-2013, 10:08 AM
luckymacy

The Monolog is a great flying plane. I'm just about finished with the LG Block repair and I still need to post the rest of the build and repair pics for this thread.
LD, how did the landing gear block fail and how are you fixing it. I am replacing the gear block with stronger wood, securing it better and redesigning it the fuse tie in differently. I am dumping the rear rake gear for a set of just straight graphite ones from graphtech.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:16 PM
Jeff Worsham

ORIGINAL: mups53

Hey Jeff I've been using the MPI 2.25 Ultra lite's
http://www.f3aunlimited.com/webstore...roducts_id=724
You might be able to sandwich in the 2.5's.
Grass is tough you may need a larger wheel pant like the PT
http://www.f3aunlimited.com/webstore...roducts_id=386
With the PT you could go 60MM easily
Hope that helps. Mike
Thanks Mike. Hoping to make it to a grass field contest this year so want to be prepared.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:17 PM
DRC1

ORIGINAL: luckymacy

LD, how did the landing gear block fail and how are you fixing it. I am replacing the gear block with stronger wood, securing it better and redesigning it the fuse tie in differently. I am dumping the rear rake gear for a set of just straight graphite ones from graphtech.
I was stupid and didn't set the timer. So I dead sticked an electric in 15 - 20mph winds and didn't have the juice after resetting the ESC to make the runway. Missed it by 6 feet and landingin the only 6 x 12 foot patch of grassthat was just replanted and still a bit rough and a bit muddy. Soft landing, but I believe the gear gave as designed or I would be fixing more than the gear block.

I will be posting pictures of my repair. Basically glued back all of the good wood after dremeling off all the sheared wood from the damage. I then glued in a piece of 1/8 inch CF / Balsa End Grain laminate sheet to the existing block to add strength without building too much strength to the block area (my thought anyway). I glued on some ply donuts (for the T-Nuts) made from some of the scrap ply included in the kit by using a 1" hole saw with a small bit. Looks good and plenty strong enough.

If I have another bad landing, I'm hoping what I did will give before the fuse. It should be plenty strong enough for normal orevenhard landings.

My personal opinion so people don't use my situation to say the LG is not robust enough...

The landing gear block was designed well in my opinion. I fly off of Grass and Concrete and never had an issue with the few flights I made with it. In the place I landed, I believe any 2M pattern plane would have broke the gear plate out or worse given the conditions and the landing.

A few people were very surprised the gear collapsed when it happened, including myself. However, when I see an axle bolt bent on one side, the force was pretty considerable. It was as soft a landing as I could have made it... but Terra Ferma wasn't kind. Any place else besides that 6 x 12 foot patch and I think the gear would have held up.

I'll try to finish up my build and the repair starting tonight...

I have pictures of the damage before I started... I'm not completely done, but the LG block is done. I have some minor repair to the chin cowl and the LG area. I doubt you will know I repaired it by looking at it, unless you get real close or look inside the airframe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.