Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA emails on Drones/Right to Fly

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA emails on Drones/Right to Fly

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 10:00 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA emails on Drones/Right to Fly

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Most places where RC is flown around here you have a large expanse of flat land to fly over that is surrounded on all sides by houses and busy roads.

Normal, conventional, old fashioned RC flight ...
Well... with that "old fashion" qualifier you may have a very small but totally insignificant point... around here giant scale models routinely exceed the typical flight range/distance of our local FPVers. But whatever...frame the FPV community in the worst possible way, every chance you get...You have lots of loyal followers...
Old 06-19-2013, 10:08 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have many friends with full size aircraft and guess where they like to go and fly,yea to open spaces out in the country. joe
Old 06-19-2013, 10:37 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: joebahl

I have many friends with full size aircraft and guess where they like to go and fly,yea to open spaces out in the country. joe
I didn't think about that...your friends should have superior rights to airspace for their pleasure...how narrowed minded I can be sometimes.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:55 AM
joebahl

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

I didn't think about that...your friends should have superior rights to airspace for their pleasure...how narrowed minded I can be sometimes.
I got one flying a WW-2 bibe and he is a lawyer too. lmao It would be ashame for camera to hit his radial motor , i have flown with him out in the country also. joe
Old 06-19-2013, 04:55 PM
littlecrankshaf

I got one flying a WW-2 bibe and he is a lawyer too. lmao It would be ashame for camera to hit his radial motor , i have flown with him out in the country also. joe
Yep, we need to do everything possible to protect the privileged such as your lawyer and his radial motor...good point...didn't think of that on my own.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:21 PM
joebahl

Yes alot of others expencive hobbys we dont need or want to mess with just like we dont like others messing with ours . Right now with some of the bad press we have had from these flying cameras in the last 4 months someone is taking a dump on my birthday cake. He flys a stearman in navy colors and he is also a club member for many years plus helped the club out many times with legal issues about county land usage . joe
Old 06-19-2013, 07:14 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Most places where RC is flown around here you have a large expanse of flat land to fly over that is surrounded on all sides by houses and busy roads.

Well... with that ''old fashion'' qualifier you may have a very small but totally insignificant point... around here giant scale models routinely exceed the typical flight range/distance of our local FPVers. But whatever...frame the FPV community in the worst possible way, every chance you get...You have lots of loyal followers...
So you are admitting that your giant scale planes routinely overfly housing developements and busy roads..?
How about school yards too..? Might as well fess up to that while yer at it...!
Old 06-19-2013, 07:16 PM
littlecrankshaf

Yes alot of others expencive hobbys we dont need or want to mess with just like we dont like others messing with ours . Right now with some of the bad press we have had from these flying cameras in the last 4 months someone is taking a dump on my birthday cake. He flys a stearman in navy colors and he is also a club member for many years plus helped the club out many times with legal issues about county land usage . joe
More good points. Privilege should be based on the ability to afford whatever hobby/interest...the greater the expense, the more protection and privilege the enthusiast should have.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:32 PM
joebahl

More good points. Privilege should be based on the ability to afford whatever hobby/interest...the greater the expense, the more protection and privilege the enthusiast should have.
You are a man of honor crankshaft ,iam sure full scale pilots will thank you. I had a chance to get my full scale pilots papers when i was younger
with free lessons and a free airplane to use but with 4 children and moving up the ladder in a big construction company put a damper on it. Iam to old and my eyes are going bad now but i am blessed with many friends who fly and take me up ,most to scare me half to death. lol
Old 06-19-2013, 07:48 PM
littlecrankshaf

You are a man of honor crankshaft ,iam sure full scale pilots will thank you.
Thanks... I am still learning though.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:05 AM
littlecrankshaf

So you are admitting that your giant scale planes routinely overfly housing developements and busy roads..?
I said what I said...you can twist and add all you want to defame the giant scale enthusiast while your at it as well, since it's now obvious you are against giant scale too... Everybody must fly a little sizwizzy like you to be accepted I guess... Seen that before...nothing new. But for the record, to date, the greatest injuries and payouts for damage hasn't been FPV or giant scale models... Oh,,,, I know whats coming now... the old "they haven't been around long or there are so few of them" erroneous point... but go ahead and throw that out there...we'll go from there.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:26 AM
joebahl

Well... with that ''old fashion'' qualifier you may have a very small but totally insignificant point... around here giant scale models routinely exceed the typical flight range/distance of our local FPVers. But whatever...frame the FPV community in the worst possible way, every chance you get...You have lots of loyal followers...
Another one that flys his slow stick at a golf cource and complains about the big bad rc planes. joe
Old 06-20-2013, 05:48 AM
littlecrankshaf

Another one that flys his slow stick at a golf cource and complains about the big bad rc planes. joe
Got to admit this thread is pretty darn funny too... Who knows he might even night fly his sizwizzy at the town square...
Old 06-20-2013, 06:49 AM
joebahl

Got to admit this thread is pretty darn funny too... Who knows he might even night fly his sizwizzy at the town square...
Plus 1 on that crankshaft . joe
Old 06-20-2013, 09:27 AM
combatpigg

[link]http://youtu.be/a-ZR-lqqWSc[/link]
I used to fly anything I wanted at this 90 acre field, but it isn't safe to just "let 'er rip" down there with mass humanity swarming along every boundary of that field now.
I've had to voluntarily and pre-emptively put limits on what I fly and how I fly down there now.
Bear in mind this is one of the last remaining places [in this "rural" area] where high performance RC can be flown to any degree.
The inbound and rapidly multiplying Yuppie population in this area would ban RC flight, IC engines, etc....due to fears about model drone activities, environmental concerns, etc. without batting an eyelash.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:37 AM
joebahl

[youtubhttp://youtu.be/a-ZR-lqqWSce][/youtube]
Do you try clicking on your links after you post them ?
Old 06-20-2013, 09:38 AM
littlecrankshaf

[youtubhttp://youtu.be/a-ZR-lqqWSce][/youtube]
What? Some more, ever popular youtube evidence??? What?
Old 06-21-2013, 03:28 PM
littlecrankshaf

[link]http://youtu.be/a-ZR-lqqWSc[/link]
I used to fly anything I wanted at this 90 acre field, but it isn't safe to just ''let 'er rip'' down there with mass humanity swarming along every boundary of that field now.
I've had to voluntarily and pre-emptively put limits on what I fly and how I fly down there now.
Bear in mind this is one of the last remaining places [in this ''rural'' area] where high performance RC can be flown to any degree.
The inbound and rapidly multiplying Yuppie population in this area would ban RC flight, IC engines, etc....due to fears about model drone activities, environmental concerns, etc. without batting an eyelash.
Cool video! Enjoyed that. While at it I watched a few of your other videos. The Webra 50 burning some worms and 3Ding the PB were cool and enlightening as well... I now see you a little differently...not just a grumpy old guy, telling everyone how it should be, with a cup of coffee in his hand anymore LOL

One thing for sure, you made those engines run very nice.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:56 PM
combatpigg

Thanks LCS..it's a great hobby, isn't it..?
So many different things to learn and to explore.
It was Dave McDonalds' Pizza Box Flyer that got me to sign in here 10 years ago just to see what all the talk was all about.
I still have that "plane"..but now I'm using it as a splatter shield between cages in my rabbitry.

I've always liked your "anything goes" attitude about what goes on at your field. The thing is, I'll bet you are blessed to be in a location where you can do that.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:38 AM
littlecrankshaf

Thanks LCS..it's a great hobby, isn't it..?
So many different things to learn and to explore.
It was Dave McDonalds' Pizza Box Flyer that got me to sign in here 10 years ago just to see what all the talk was all about.
I still have that ''plane''..but now I'm using it as a splatter shield between cages in my rabbitry.

I've always liked your ''anything goes'' attitude about what goes on at your field. The thing is, I'll bet you are blessed to be in a location where you can do that.

CP,

You're right about being "blessed" but not because of the remote location of the flying site as it is about typical in regards to a city property in many ways. Immediately on the south end is the busiest thoroughfare of the city...the Loop 323 and on the north end is one of the county's detention centers[X(]

Where I am truly blessed, there are just enough real common sense people involved here to overcome the many and never ending types of know-it-all dufuses, that unfortunately and invariably pervade the hobby, to a barely sufficient degree... No doubt, as with probably any other flying site there are always a few idiots that think they know whats best for everyone else but thankfully they haven't been allowed too much latitude thus far and have been kept in check here for the most part...although that type of dufus will ultimately muck-up everything eventually...as crap only rolls down hill...it's inevitable... just the nature of things...all we have to do is look around and find ample proof of that fact. FWIW dufuses have a strategy that can't fail in the long run...They poop it out...wait till it hardens...stand on that poop...poop a little higher...and before they/we know it, they are looking down on everyone else...sitting like a king on a pile of poop...Just look at our government now for more than enough proof of poop building...
Old 06-22-2013, 09:19 AM
combatpigg

Our hobby has always allowed, encouraged and endorsed real dangerous stuff...within limits, but those limits have been pretty liberal. Even after horrendous mishaps that were well known within the AMA based model plane community. You remember the control line combat plane that the flyer lost his grip of at a contest in Texas about 20 years ago.? The steel lines ended up hitting some 14,000 volt power line and it somehow created more than just a simple blown fuse at the nearest pole, it set off a chain reaction of explosions on the pole mounted transformers that took quite a lot of effort to fix. This happened in Texas, where most of the people must have taken it in stride and possibly got a kick out of it. I doubt that the Mayor or City Counsel got hounded by the locals for allowing a toy plane contest like this in their communtiy. I honestly don't recall hearing any outrage from the locals about this mishap, but I do recall the AMA's sloth-like response to this problem that had been going on for decades [run-away planes] that they finally mandated rules to greatly limit these occurances.

The new rules [safety thong at the handle and engine kill gizmo] had nothing to do with being over officious "duffusses", it was just being responsible about a bad situation. Never the less, there were several angry combat flyers who thought that the new rules were a bunch of BS aimed at making the sport more complicated to participate in and rules that would drive some flyers away.
I'm just trying to be forward thinking enough to see what the consequences could be to an epidemic of model drone related mayhem.
I wouldn't want to find out someday that I must complete 8 hours of acreditted training every year and submit the certificate of completion along with $100 to apply for a permit to the Washington Department of Recreation to legally fly my toys at the old hay field. Taxation and creating a new bureaucracy would be the first step before out and out banning of model flying in some areas.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:37 AM
littlecrankshaf

This happened in Texas, where most of the people must have taken it in stride and possibly got a kick out of it.

I can assure you no one "got a kick out of it".

Bottom line; If we don't learn how to make people solely responsible for themselves and their actions then get prepared for never ending laws and rules that will ultimately take us law abiding to a place were we are totally unsure of exactly what is permissible. The thugs that couldn't care less will rule the day...Might as well put the rest of us in a box and feed us. We are already seeing those signs now. Just the thought of starting a new venture is wrought with concerns about overlooking just one law and is becoming scarier by the minute.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:45 AM
cfircav8r
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How can people not be concerned? If you do the same research that the rest of America does (T.V.) you will see that you have to contort your body and move the stick through wild gyrations just to get it to fly straight and level, and all they are ever used for is buzzing unsuspecting bystanders and spying on us.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:47 PM
corch
My Feedback: (1)

For those of you (I'm not going back 15 pages of posts, but you know who you are) who claimed that if you saw a drone you would shoot it down

$25 permit and a $100 bounty....wonder if your "permit" comes with a monthly magazine
Old 07-21-2013, 03:32 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

LOL That's awesome.

Idiotic, but awesome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.