Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Viper Jet 2M Pointers/ tips.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Viper Jet 2M Pointers/ tips.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 10:09 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: Viper Jet 2M Pointers/ tips.

No posts since September, time to kick start this thread again
Old 12-04-2012, 10:16 AM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one on order that should be here in a couple of weeks. Plan to start a build thread once I've finished the CARFMustangI'm working on.

Kirk
Old 12-04-2012, 10:41 AM
furycham

Eight months ago I had a minor crash with my Viper because for some reason the carbon tube of the elevator broke in flight causing flutter. Now she is flying better than before . Take a look at this video of the 2nd maiden flight.

http://youtu.be/E5hLXaI5KRQ
Old 12-05-2012, 12:57 PM
sharam
My Feedback: (2)

I am planning on buying one of these 2M Viper Skymaster Jets!  I have read the entire thread - lots of good info in here, thanks to all of you.  This will be my first jet.  I have a quite a bit of experience flying helicopters and large scale prop planes.  My 80" span WWII Zero does ~ 130mph, so I am used to flying fast and flying "the silhouette."

What color schemes do you guys recommend?  I like the paint in the mold red and white.  I understand paint post-mold can add more weight.  

I am planning to install a 100 class turbine.

Any thoughts ore ideas will be appreciated!  Thanks in advance.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:47 PM
RCISFUN

Hey Sharam
A 100 class turbine will be fine...

The paint out of the mold looks much better (i.e. no seam lines etc) and I can't see much weight difference.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:34 PM
sharam

Rich,

Thanks for the reply. Tell me about the Jet Central Rabbit please. I am curious as to how it compares with the JetCat 100RX.

I would appreciate your input.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:06 AM
RCISFUN

http://www.jetcentral.com.mx/rabbit.html

22 Lbs Kero Start, you won't be sorry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20162.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	1827480  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Xu62352.pdf (24.1 KB, 28 views)
Old 12-08-2012, 12:58 PM
sharam

Thanks, anyone else have any comments about the Rabbit?
Old 04-19-2013, 07:43 AM
luckyflyer

Has anyone replaced their Viper's aluminum (12 oz) wing tube with a lighter carbon fiber tube? graph tech rc has one with a .040 wall thickness that weighs 5.2 oz
Old 04-19-2013, 10:13 PM
luckyflyer

No one has even thought about doing this to their Viper?
Old 04-20-2013, 03:21 AM
RCISFUN

Is there an issue with the Alum spar?
Old 04-20-2013, 07:07 AM
luckyflyer

Nothing other than its weight.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:27 AM
R Pursall

Guys I need to warn you all about the clearance between the flaps/ailerons and the wing when they close.- Last July (the hottest day of the year) I had my viper set up at our club in the blazing sunshine, - turned on the rx and did the usual checks. Only to find when lowering the flaps the left one would not go back up! - it was catching on the wing!- the heat of the sun was doing its work.- I spent ages sanding down these issues on the build but obviously not enough. I then noticed the right aileron was doing exactly the same thing! - out with a scuff board and some grease and problem solved ( I thought!!) - I had a flight and it was probably my best to date - half hour later and flight No 2, - took off as normal, plenty of power then went into a right bank - as soon as I went to tuck the flaps up I knew something was wrong - there was a slight hesitation, the nose dropped and she spiralled to the ground!!! - huge explosion I lost everything! ( my worst nightmare come true!.....gutted!)

So when I went to put the flaps back home I can only assume the left one stayed stuck down which caused an aileron effect etc (Ali has confirmed this ) so be warned guys - make sure those gaps are well sanded down!
So here I am now with out a jet, ( yes its taken me all this time to recover!)- ive been in touch with Ali and im very interested in the Futura 1.9m. My only gripe with the viper was it took plenty long enough to get off the ground (p80se) - it seems the futura by all accounts might rotate a little quicker ( I would use a p100rx) but I was wondering if any of you guys out there have any experience with the futura and particularly any one with experience in flying the viper2m and the futura1.9m to give a good comparison?
Just want to get as much info as poss from everyone before I make the next big spend!

Best regards
Rich P
Old 05-03-2013, 06:41 AM
luckyflyer

To the folks that have built the Viper, do you epoxy the keying slots on the rails that the turbine mounts to or is the turbine its self used to hold the rails in their keying slots?
Old 05-03-2013, 08:02 AM
BluFox
My Feedback: (10)

Mark:

With the three 2m Vipers built by Bill Hatcher and myself, (make that 4) we trial fit the turbine mount rails then Hysol in place. We put aside for 24 hours. This completes the rigid bond/assembly between the two formers/bulkheads.

BTW, when installing your Cheetah, place the turbine on the rails with the name Cheetah toward the top of the fuselage. Therefore, from the bottom through the hatch, you will see the turbine but not the turbine name. Nozzle should be no more than 1" from the entrance to the metal pipe. . .no less than 3/4." This will give you optimum performance and proper cooling for the pipe.

Regards,
Eric
Old 05-03-2013, 03:10 PM
furycham

This is what I did.

Name:	Yw66636.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	330.6 KB
ID:	1878832   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20362.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	368.5 KB
ID:	1878833  
Old 05-03-2013, 05:10 PM
luckyflyer

It seems that the bell mouth supplied by SM on my Viper is noticeably different than the other SM supplied bell mouths . The large end opening is a whopping 5.5 inches across and 2.5 inches long. I'm thinking of cutting it back some because its so wide it interferes with the mounting rails.[img]

Name:	Mk25682.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	1878888  
Old 07-09-2013, 06:30 PM
pilot tw

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

we will support the new wing bag for 2M viper / $39.00 USD

Name:	Ec87961.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	1898950  
Old 07-17-2013, 12:48 PM
NC Jetguy

Hi Bill,

I'll be ordering my Viper from Eric shortly. Regarding the use of the BVM Micro Switch for the nose wheel door, does the nose gear physically move the switch or are you using a servo? If not, how are you sequencing it with the nose gear itself?

Thanks,

Ken
Old 07-24-2013, 11:52 AM
RCISFUN

I used a micro pneumatic switch that is activated by a cap screw that I inserted on the side of the front strut. The head of the screw hits the lever of the micro pneumatic switch to activate the door closing sequence when the nose gear is in the full up position.

I plumbed the opening of the doors on the down line to the retracts, i.e. doors open with the deployment of the retracts, you don't need a delay in this scenario...
Old 07-24-2013, 12:01 PM
RCISFUN

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

Guys I need to warn you all about the clearance between the flaps/ailerons and the wing when they close.- Last July (the hottest day of the year) I had my viper set up at our club in the blazing sunshine, - turned on the rx and did the usual checks. Only to find when lowering the flaps the left one would not go back up! - it was catching on the wing!- the heat of the sun was doing its work.- I spent ages sanding down these issues on the build but obviously not enough. I then noticed the right aileron was doing exactly the same thing! - out with a scuff board and some grease and problem solved ( I thought!!) - I had a flight and it was probably my best to date - half hour later and flight No 2, - took off as normal, plenty of power then went into a right bank - as soon as I went to tuck the flaps up I knew something was wrong - there was a slight hesitation, the nose dropped and she spiralled to the ground!!! - huge explosion I lost everything! ( my worst nightmare come true!.....gutted!)

So when I went to put the flaps back home I can only assume the left one stayed stuck down which caused an aileron effect etc (Ali has confirmed this ) so be warned guys - make sure those gaps are well sanded down!
So here I am now with out a jet, ( yes its taken me all this time to recover!)- ive been in touch with Ali and im very interested in the Futura 1.9m. My only gripe with the viper was it took plenty long enough to get off the ground (p80se) - it seems the futura by all accounts might rotate a little quicker ( I would use a p100rx) but I was wondering if any of you guys out there have any experience with the futura and particularly any one with experience in flying the viper2m and the futura1.9m to give a good comparison?
Just want to get as much info as poss from everyone before I make the next big spend!

Best regards
Rich P

I had the same issue prior for leaving for KY Jets, I took a dremel fiber cutoff wheel and used the side area of the wheel to make a sharp bevel on the leading edge of the flap filler panel, it will not catch now, as a matter of fact Ali inspected my flaps prior to the maiden flight. He did so by having two people support the total weight of the airframe by the wing tips, then moving the airframe up and down to create flexing loads while I deployed and retraced the flaps numerous times, they did not stick!.

Speaking of flaps I had an issue with the geometry of the linkages with the supplied external control horn (i.e. i could move the flaps quite easily by hand when the digital servos were powered up), I decided to go with an internal (hidden) linkage, see attached PDF drawing.This increased the mechanical advantage of the servo dramatically.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Bz77021.pdf (9.4 KB, 158 views)
Old 07-24-2013, 01:24 PM
NC Jetguy

Hey Rich, Nice idea on the nose gear door. I spoke to you at length at Kentucky about the Viper. Ordered one from Eric to go with the Cheetah I bought from him at the event. Will be re-reading this thread several times until it gets here.

Regards,

Ken
Old 09-26-2013, 05:36 PM
model1258

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I will be getting my viper 2m in couple weeks. Was wandering or asking has anybody put the jetcat P90Rxi in one yet. Is there pro or cons to using this engine in the viper?
Old 09-27-2013, 12:41 AM
osvaldopv
My Feedback: (12)

For me the best engine combination for this jet in my case is the JC Cheetah, I have 9 minutes of flight with plenty of power capable of doing everything I want .
I used to flight it with a 22 pounder turbine but in some maneuvers were lack of power, but that's my case.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:49 AM
model1258

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, I also was wandering if the 112mm diameter of the p90rxi would be of any issue or would it fit in 2m viper alright?
Thanks
Robin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.