Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

READ-ONLY MODE. Really????

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 03:04 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default READ-ONLY MODE. Really????

Hi all,

I'm posting this in the General Car forum so forgive me, but this whom I dialogue with most on this forum. Foxy, this is NO WAY inteded toward you as I understand you have no control and I think you are a top-notch moderator.

For anyone that cares, while I don't know RC Cars, I DO know Internet software such as this. I'm starting to wonder if this is some guy in his garage. I take pages that input financial data down 2-3 times per week and never allow a blip in the system. Whomever is operating this is just being lazy. If this gets me banished from this forum - oh well. At least I had my say. ;-)

If you are responsible to this site and are reading this, certainly you can divert traffic to another server. If you only have one web server, then we are in trouble (you know as well as I dobacking is up one thing. estoring is a whole other issue). There are only a few forms that require posting, so if you are on one server and doing somethig with your db, keep those pages up and create a set of tables and update prior to going live.

I love this forum very much - because of the people on here. However, I encourage the decision makers to look at other software and.or maintenance team once existing contracts expire...because this extremely poor software maintenance.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:29 PM
cumquat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: READ-ONLY MODE. Really????

yep, that was utter bovine excrement. makes me question the future of this site. i'm not sure it'll recover from this setback.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:32 PM
Large Larry

I don't know much about internet software and stuff like that but RC Universe is a pretty big place so I guess moving everything over to a new site is a fairly big task, I guess they didn't want new stuff being added while they were moving all the existing stuff over. There was also a banner at the top of every page giving everyone notice that they wouldn't be able to post for a few days. I'm only new here but I've found this site to be very informative and friendly so far. I say give them a chance before you start telling them how it should be done. I'm sure when it's all moved over and a few kinks are worked out it will be smooth sailing.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:43 PM
cumquat

this site has had bugs since 2009. it seem like every time they fix something they manage to break 3 other things. this is just asking for trouble.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:47 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

Hi all,

I'm posting this in the General Car forum so forgive me, but this whom I dialogue with most on this forum. Foxy, this is NO WAY inteded toward you as I understand you have no control and I think you are a top-notch moderator.

For anyone that cares, while I don't know RC Cars, I DO know Internet software such as this. I'm starting to wonder if this is some guy in his garage. I take pages that input financial data down 2-3 times per week and never allow a blip in the system. Whomever is operating this is just being lazy. If this gets me banished from this forum - oh well. At least I had my say. ;-)

If you are responsible to this site and are reading this, certainly you can divert traffic to another server. If you only have one web server, then we are in trouble (you know as well as I dobacking is up one thing. estoring is a whole other issue). There are only a few forms that require posting, so if you are on one server and doing somethig with your db, keep those pages up and create a set of tables and update prior to going live.

I love this forum very much - because of the people on here. However, I encourage the decision makers to look at other software and.or maintenance team once existing contracts expire...because this extremely poor software maintenance.

read this

I want to take a quick moment to update all the members on the progress of updating RCU to vBulletin. As many of you already know RCU was "read only" all last weekend, and that today we are back on the old system software. Over the weekend our Tech Staff ran into several unforseen technical issues that caused a delay in the upgrade. Please remember that RCU has been online for close to 12 years now and the database of ALL of our threads, posts, pictures, PM's, attachments, and other information is simply HUGE. The process of migrating this information couldn't be completed this last weekend because of the technical issues I spoke of.

Currently our Tech Staff is planning on leaving the old RCU up for the remainder of this week, and then taking the next step late on Friday August 2nd, and then working over the weekend again to try to migrate us to vBulletin. If these plans change I will inform you all of this as soon as we have any information.

We realize that this is frustrating for many members, and for that we do apologize. However, these planned upgrades are going to be well worth the growing pains we have to deal with to get there. Myself and all of the RCU Staff ask that you bear with us as we work to move RCU to a more modern platform. We promise we will do everything possible to make this as painless as possible and we will get this finished as soon as we possibly can.

Ken Isaac

RCU Forum Manager
John how can u start criticizing the IT guys with out knowing whats going on and what the problem is?
pretty darn rude if u ask me, I mean so what RCU was down for 3 days after what 12 odd years.... big deal.

I love this forum, I can go 3 days with out it especially if its in the name of progress.

just goes to show no matter what, there will be allways someone complaining
Old 07-29-2013, 04:02 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

And for once, it wasn't me complaining... .

Kidding aside, everyone has to remember that this forum is free to use. There are no membership fees charged for membership. With this said, a few days down here and there shouldn't be a big deal. Especially if this change will eliminate all of hose pesky 404 and 500 errors, among many other bugs.

Patience people. Patience.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:22 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well they didn't want data to get corrupted as this is all a giant database

IMO it makes sense to lock it while trying to move it.

Also remember they are trying to keep every old post, while migrating to a new software. Most forums I've posted on when they tried that just deleted all the old posts, peoples accounts, and said screw it.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:27 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ill agree that there are bugs.....marketplace often wont let you put pics up....sometimes messages take a long time to show up in my email ect.
But it is the best looking rc site. Ive been on a few others but never found one I liked as much as rcu.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:50 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi all,

Hey, it sounds like you should be able to set something up better than RCU. We could all have a glitch free site then with no problems at all.

Go for it i say, can't wait. But i won't hold my breath.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:56 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

JohnP2, we need you to do change it!
Old 07-29-2013, 06:08 PM
collector1231

And, am I one of the people you like on here ?  

I actually have a friend who hasn't been to college yet who runs a Minecraft server with a 2TB world file. The longest downtime that he has ever had is only 36 seconds exactly; that was to replace a CPU cooler on the server, and when he diverted traffic to another computer he had.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:49 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

I think the guy doing the site change-over is really a kid who took a couple of HTML classes and is reading the book on how-to-build a website.
Just have Go-Daddy do it !
Old 07-29-2013, 06:59 PM
Airplanes400

Maybe it will be done & completed by Chriistmas ...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60792.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	1904351   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26647.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	1904352  
Old 07-29-2013, 07:04 PM
drac1

I can't see any of you guys that are complaining, doing a better job.

It's easy to be a keyboard critic.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:08 PM
collector1231

ORIGINAL: drac1

I can't see any of you guys that are complaining, doing a better job.

It's easy to be a keyboard critic.
No job to do!

Old 07-29-2013, 08:27 PM
Rob2160

And exactly how much is it costing us to use this site?

I can understand complaining about poor service if you are paying $$ but this site is totally free..  

If they have a few bugs and need upgrades occasionally.. so be it.. I am grateful the site is here, free and they are committed to improving it..

Old 07-29-2013, 09:05 PM
Iron Dog

ORIGINAL: Rob2160

I can understand complaining about poor service if you are paying $$ but this site is totally free..

If they have a few bugs and need upgrades occasionally.. so be it.. I am grateful the site is here, free and they are committed to improving it..

+1

Old 07-29-2013, 09:17 PM
drac1

ORIGINAL: Iron Dog

ORIGINAL: Rob2160

+1

+2
Old 07-30-2013, 01:06 AM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Obviously you actually have no comprehension of the task involved. If you did, if you did you would never have posted this.

This move is legend in the IT community. MicroSoft has a large presence here in Charlotte, as does UbiSoft(a game developer), and the developers at both of these places shake their heads in wonder at the magnitude of this shift. Just for starters the old system and servers were a mis-mash of cobbled together separate web pages, programs, upgrades, patches and servers that were never imagined nor intended to become what it is today. Previous managers/owners of this forum had a lack of funds, understanding and tech support to allow it to grow as large as it has. Thus the entire database had become as stable as a house of cards and toothpicks. The current owner has actually been very consientious to preserve and stabilise all of the data to the best ability of some of the best programmers anywhere. Sure, there have been some glitches and some of the data has been lost...amazing it has been so little considering a bunch of data was originally being passed in and out of old 386 machines and (get this)FLOPPY DISK drives tied into the servers! [X(]

Are you seriously going to complain that they are treating this transfer like a space shuttle launch when there are over 100 forums, 82,000 individual threads within the forums, 16 million posts and well over 1/2 million images at stake?
Not to mention all of the profiles, galleries, garages, hangars and other member info along with the Marketplace and all of it's ratings and member info...and ALL of it cross referenced and all interactive on numerous layers...WAY more complex than any bank's entire credit card account management systems; even considering security sub routines.

I say "good job" that they are trying to make sure that all of our reference material, build threads, and everything else that makes this forum the best on the net.

And remember we get it for FREE!
Old 07-30-2013, 03:21 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

frets24 - you said it better than I did, and could have. There is going on behind the scenes than a lot of people realize.

Ever try copying a 4GB SD card full of pics and vids over to your computer? How long did it take? Now imagine copying something that's easily 1000 times the size of that 4gb SD card (hell, it's probably 10,000 times bigger)... Add in the risk of file corruption?

Hats off to the RCU IT team!
Old 07-30-2013, 03:33 AM
turok007

this site plays up a lot many a time it cannot even be found. so something must be going on in the background that might need sorting.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:47 AM
Airplanes400

RCU forum is now open for posting again. The forum software upgrade is delayed due to unforeseen technical issues ... the kid doing the upgrade had to go back to school.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:51 AM
drac1

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

RCU forum is now open for posting again. The forum software upgrade is delayed due to unforeseen technical issues ... the kid doing the upgrade had to go back to school.
Maybe you could join him. Might learn something this time 'round.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:53 AM
Airplanes400

Plus, the system now has additional problems due to the weekend tampering.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:56 AM
drac1

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

Plus, the system now has additional problems due to the weekend tampering.
If you think it's so bad, why do you keep coming back?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.