Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Balancing blades on aerohawk

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Balancing blades on aerohawk

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 03:37 PM
larsen2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balancing blades on aerohawk

My aerohawk is wobbling and I've tried everything but balancing the blades. Should this be neccessary on a new helicopter? (charged 4-5 times)
Can I use regular electrician/isolation tape? Is it the same where on the blades I put the tape?
Old 11-17-2003, 04:00 PM
rcnutman
My Feedback: (22)

Default RE: Balancing blades on aerohawk

do you have training gear on still? I took off the pingpong balls and left the wire rods on.Its still is very efective for training.And eliminats most of the wobbling. eventually i tok off the wires and she has no wobble at all!!!!!!!1 and mine wobbled wicked bad. Plus u should not hover any more then 12 inches with training gear on!! let me know how u dooooooo.[sm=wink.gif]
Old 11-17-2003, 04:04 PM
larsen2000

I have traininggear, but have removed the balls..
Old 11-17-2003, 07:07 PM
rødebaldakin

Yes balancing the blades is worth doing, especialy after 5-6 newbie runs
Old 11-18-2003, 05:39 AM
larsen2000

But can I use regular electrician/isolation tape? Is it the same where on the blades I put the tape?
Old 11-20-2003, 02:24 PM
sherif

could some one pls help me on how is balancing done exactly??
thankyou
Old 11-20-2003, 07:22 PM
rødebaldakin

There is many ways to do it, a fast and maybe crude way i do it is bolt the blades togheter with a fairly long bolt, then i spinn it up in an old gws eninge shaft that has ballbearings and add pieces of tape untill it balances exact. You can do this by hanging it in a piece of string also. More precise ways include special balancing tools or making out the CG point on each blade then compare and add tapes outside the cg point of the blade,, this can be veeeery timeconsuming.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:51 PM
ihug007

This article is very thorough.
http://www.helihobby.com/html/balancing_blades.html
Old 11-21-2003, 03:54 AM
sherif

Default RE: Balancing blades on <span class=

so i put the blade on the ruler to balance and see if it leans on one side that means put tape on the other side?
also, when at low rpm's, the whole heli shakes, does this mean balancing? or somthing else??
thanks for your help every one.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:14 PM
rødebaldakin

Thats har to tell without looking at it, if you are running with tight blades you will have to sett them in the correct position befor spinning up, and spinn it up somewhat gently, pulle the blades by the same point on the tips. if you are running with the blades loose, make very sure nothing on you heli is wobling or shaking around as it can ofsett the bladepostion and cause the major deathwobble. All in all the more accratly your entire heli is balanced the less chanse it is to develop the deathwobble in flight.
Old 11-22-2003, 03:35 AM
sherif

Thanks a lot for all your help. i managed to balance the heli yestrdayfor the first time. the motor was too close to the gear after i adjusted, it flew for about 5 sec still no wobbling no shakes. then unforunatly the tail motor broke down. i was ready with a new one and changed it it flew ok. Today i will try to hover again. but I now have a question about battery. how long should i charge it for. Untill it is hot? or what which battery you recommend for longer flying times??
Thanks for your help
Old 11-26-2003, 09:12 AM
coltech

Re: question about battery. how long should i charge it for. Untill it is hot? or what which battery you recommend for longer flying times??

I charge my batt pack for my dragonfly for one and a half hours from no fly.( ie won't lift off ground) or until the pack feels hot/very warm to touch.
Old 11-27-2003, 07:33 PM
ihug007

The Aerohawk battery pack should be charged for 2-3 hours. It should not get too hot (this will kill it / reduce its life) . Overcharging also kills them, and the damage cannot be reversed once it's happened.

Happy flying!
Old 11-28-2003, 10:54 AM
thatsgonnahurt

I'm a newbie too. My AeroHawk will be in Tuesday. I have been looking at another forum that may help you folks. Let me know. http://www.rotory.com/ubbthreads/pos...t=&Board=MINI1
Old 11-28-2003, 03:13 PM
jdski

Another Aerohawk newbie here. Been flying planes for quite awhile and I have an old helicopter I bought used that used a airplane engine, no collective or gyro. Got it to hover, and forward flight, but it was just too squirly without the gyro and I didn't want to invest much into it since I didn't think parts are available for it anymore. So I retired it before I crashed it.
So I recently decided to get back into rc flying and went and got the Aerohawk. Been flying G2 pretty good.
My problem is I'm getting the death wobble as well. But mine is looking like it's coming from a bent main shaft. I noticed it had a wobble right out of the box even without the main rotor blades attached at low rpm's.
The main rotor gear is running about 1 mm untrue and the flybar center allen screw also looks to be untrue as well when it's spinning. So I'm thinking I'll need a new main shaft and main gear.
I can get it to hover for about 2 seconds before it starts to wobble. I only have about 12ft of carpeted floor space to practice in and would really like to try it outside and see how it does in forward flight. I'm wondering will it have less of a tendency to get into that wobble in forward flight then it does in a hover?
Over all this model seems a bit cheap in construction. But I really haven't seen anything else close up to compare it too. Should I have spent a bit more for something built better, or are all the micro heli's pretty much the same quality?
Old 11-29-2003, 03:04 AM
DrSup

check your CG should right at the main shaft, too much tail heavy can cause this, move your batt forward
check the shape of the two blade, mark to identify which is left or right then twist one of them and see how it effects at a time. when you look at the side view the two blades spin at the same tip level, this OK
I found that for skylark, dragonfly dont need to balance the blade like the big heli.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:46 PM
jdski

Thanks for the advice. I may have found a solution though. It's still not as balanced as I would like or think it should be, but I've almost eliminated the death wobbles by removing the training gear completely. Removing the balls helped, but removing the gear completely made the biggest difference.
I also disassembled the main rotor gear down to the main shaft and found it was cracked on the rotor head end around the pin hole. I flipped it upside down to put the crack side down towards the main gear. But I'm guessing it may be the cause of some of my vibration. It's definitely not bent being made out of carbon fiber. I haven't found out where to get a titanium replacement but would like that better. I'm wondering also if anyone has any experience with the upgrades like the a flywheel type (solid) main gear, metal swash plate, or carbon fiber blades. Would any of these things make much of a noticeable difference?
Old 12-01-2003, 04:10 AM
cheddar caveman

Balancing long, high speed blades is essential. Even little "dings" in the wrong place will unbalance them. Being long, they need to be "moment balanced", ie you need to take into account their length, not just their weight.
Easiest way is to join them together with a threaded bar through their mounting hole, fixing the blades with a nut each side of them. Make sure the blades are "in line" and that the bar is a tight fit in the mounting hole. Support the shaft (threaded bar, bolt etc) on two (must be parallel) "knife edges", two pieces of sharp metal such as long, straight knife blades or thin metal rullers. Tap the blades to make them rotate. They will stop with the heaviest blade downwards. Repeat this several times to establish that the result is correct. Add a small amount of weight, tape is OK but may come off so you may wish to remove a small amount of the HEAVY blade tip. The nearer the tip you remove material, the less material you will have to remove to affect balance. Keep repeating these operations until the blades, when rotated stop in random positions.
Old 12-01-2003, 04:56 AM
rødebaldakin

JDSKI

Il just throw this in, be carefull with what mods you go ahead with, none of them will by "magic" fix all your problems. Get the swashball mod or a new swashplate with one mounted in, get the collarring with set screws to keep the main shaft from sagging down. None of these wil make any night and day differences to you while you are still in newbie land but it helps, chanses are good you will **** something up on the way while doing modifications. DO NOT GET FANCY PANCY carbon blades, these will require new engines, gears and so on to work properly and they wont make much difference to you while you are learning to fly and hower. Aerohawk is more or less ready to go as it is, its you that has to learn to handle it. Its all in setting it up correctly and learning to fly, these things arnt easy with any heli altough the margins for flight ready status are much tighter on a microheli than on a larger one. There are no shortcuts and wonderproducts in this hobby.