Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

horizon hobby

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

horizon hobby

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 07:43 PM
Steve Campbell2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: horizon hobby

Man, I read through this thread twice trying to find that remark about staying on top of them. Thanks, taildragger.

Mr. McConville, I'll ask again; just what do you mean by "stay on top of them"???

I purchased the T-34 kit today. It will remain NIB until I get some retracts.

Old 12-18-2003, 10:18 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

taildragger21, I found a couple emails that you sent in to our product support department, your request was that we send you different gear than what the kit comes with, and in fact stated you would not accept the gear that comes with the kit. As we responded to you, we do not have any different gear for the AT-6. We could send you a replacement set of gear, but they will be the same gear as included in with the kit. Feel free to give one of our product support techs a call at 877-504-0233 for further assistance on that.

The 1.50 mustang gear have a set screw such that the play in them can be reduced dramatically. This was not coverd in the manual, but is an easy adjustment to make. Over time, a bit of play may develop due to wear, and can be reduced again by adjusting the set screw.

On the Corsair gear, I find that these retracts are very good. They also have a set screw adjustment, have hardened gear legs, and work well.

As to the request on the meaning of "stay on top of them" I believe Mike is alluding to being certain that the gears are locking fully, have not developed excessive play, etc. on a periodic basis. Mechanical retracts take time to set up, and they also require some maintenance.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:32 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Okay; is there any provision (on the T-34 retracts) for removing "excessive play", should it develop?

Old 12-18-2003, 03:36 PM
dsnyder

On the T-34 gear there is not, but the T-34 gear are very tight out of the package, and on mine I haven't noticed any increase in play in the set that I have. I have flown it off of what I would consider a pretty rough field and they worked well without any problems.
Old 12-18-2003, 05:12 PM
taildragger21
My Feedback: (197)

In my e-mail I stated I would not take these gear.....................ok I understand....fine. I also told you they were flimsy, and did not include the set screws!!!!! Things left out of the kit???
Old 12-18-2003, 05:17 PM
dsnyder

There is only supposed to be one set screw in each retract. If you got one without, I'm sure we can correct that for you. Just contact our product support techs.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:53 PM
MEMPHISBELLE
My Feedback: (24)

Seems like alot of wasted talk about a .20 cent screw. Sounds to me like you didn't do a good job of inspecting the plane before you took it to the field. I am to assume you have never purchased a product that was missing a part , How about chalking it up as a mistake made where the plane was assembeled and just fix it. You do know that mistakes do happen and it is not really HORIZON'S FAULT. I have delt with them on many occasions and they are GREAT!
Old 12-18-2003, 07:33 PM
John_RedSox
My Feedback: (75)

Instead of going back and forth about whose fault it is, the fact is that Hangar 9's retracts are awful and if the company does not address this, people have the option to buy their planes from another manufacturer or upgrading the existing retracts. I think we all pick our poison when we buy ARFS.

John
Old 12-18-2003, 08:31 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

My hat is off to a manufacture that will jump in here and listen to the whining and 1/2 truths about product-replace the screw and go have fun-learn how to land and the gear stays under it-if you land it like a spad it will look like a spad
Old 12-18-2003, 09:53 PM
Bama
My Feedback: (18)

Hi guys,
I don't usually chime in on stuff like this but I am tired of hearing it. I appreciate Mike and Danny's time here as well, especially considering the number of whiners and moaners here. It shows me that the company is looking to better their products. In my opinion, they are already above the rest. I belong to a fairly small club, we have about 30 members. At our field there are 3 H9 P-51's and they are still using the stock gear. There will be 2 Corsairs there very soon, one of them will be mine. The retracts in both of them could be better, but in my opinion they are sufficient. They may not last for ten years, but look at the cost of the plane. You have a great flying plane with an adequate set of gear(if they are set up correctly) at a great price. My question is what more could you ask for? If you don't like it, don't buy it. Sounds simple enough to me. If I wanted to hear the moaning and groaning, I would go downstairs and talk to my wife.(just kidding, honey).

Disclaimer: This is only my screwed up opinion, take it however you want to.

Alan

P.S. By the way, one of the P-51's are being flown by a 15 year old with Muscular Dystrophy that flies with his feet. He hasn't had any problems with the retracts.

Horizon Hobby just sent him a free Corsair when someone notified them about it. Sounds like a good company to me.
Old 12-19-2003, 12:56 AM
taildragger21
My Feedback: (197)

I didn't know what I was getting into as far as the gear go on the plane before I purchased it. Sorry to be a whiner!! The retracts and the company just dissapoint me to no end. I started this thread and now want to end it. I really do not want everyone else's opinion. Just had to get mad and rant......like we all dont do that. My opinion of this company is not great at all....and none of you will change that....but your opinion is different, and I respect that. Got to expect this with arf's......maybe if I can find the time I will kit build.So lets just end this here.....it's pointless and I have better things to do now than get on here and rant back and forth.
p.s.......by the way within years of flying...I do belive I can land an airplane. I really dont need your expertise on the matter. Don't need one of those spads!
Old 12-19-2003, 07:57 AM
LSP972

<<...whiners and moaners...>>

Interesting observation. I wonder how long that attitude would last if YOU had paid good money for a product that didn't hold up, or failed almost immediately. That's why I have been asking all those questions; I don't want to get caught in that trick bag. I have seen two sets of H9 retracts with problems, and the modelers involved were experienced guys who can read and follow directions. The deal about improper set-up doesn't wash with these guys.

Anyway, Mr. Snyder has said that he uses the product I'm interested in, with no problems and under the same conditions I intend to use it. So I'll take him at his word, and try the H9 retracts for the T-34.

Old 12-19-2003, 08:23 AM
Bama
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

<<...whiners and moaners...>>

Interesting observation. I wonder how long that attitude would last if YOU had paid good money for a product that didn't hold up, or failed almost immediately.

Steve,

I understand what you are saying. I may be a little dissapointed if they failed immediately and I was not able to get any use out of them at all. I just look at it like this, even if I had paid $265 for the Corsair that is still a bargain. The only plane I think is comparable in a kit is the TF kit. At $150 for the kit, I can't even have just an airframe finished for another $115. I almost look at it as getting a good deal on the plane and free retracts. But, then again, I guess I am always looking for the positive side of things. It makes my life so much easier not to get upset over the little things. Again, this is only my opinion.

Ya'll have a great day and a Merry Christmas,
Alan
Old 12-19-2003, 09:32 AM
Yak18
My Feedback: (11)

All I want to know is WHY put crappy retracts in such a nice plane? Why Hanger 9, why? Just offer it with fixed gear, retract ready like Top Flite did on their P-51 or better yet, have the factory design beefer gear that work. It can't cost that much more for Chinese knockoffs of Robarts.

One thing we have to look forward to is SOMEDAY some enterprising company will take retract drawings to China and come home with some reasonably priced retracts. ROBART should be ashamed of what they charge for steel tubing and springs.

Yak
Old 12-19-2003, 01:38 PM
LSP972

I have a theory on why, Yak.

Much of this stuff is built to a price point, as opposed to a level of quality. These large firms invest heavily in market studies, and they have a pretty good idea of what Averge Joe Modeler is willing to pay for a given item. So they determine what the upper limit is, and have an item produced to sell for that price with whatever the profit margin goal may be. Quality is a secondary consideration. It must work, of course. But two business terms, "acceptable spoilage" and "planned obsolescence" enter into the picture.

The first refers to the fact that certain number of these products will fail, etc.; IOW, require replacement at the manufacturer's expense. If the profit from selling X-number of units exceeds the loss of replacing Y-number of defective ones, then the business goal has been acheived. One of the best examples of this can be found in the car industry. A defective design/part is discovered, but studies indicate it will be cheaper to just replace/repair the ones that break instead of fixing the problem at the production level. This happens all of the time in the business world.

The second term may or may not apply in this case, and I've rambled on too long already. But the one thing to keep in mind about these manufacturers, especially the big conglomerates like Horizon and The Empire, is this; they are not in the business to make good deals to us. They are in the business to make money.

I think that, if a comparison study was done, it would show that the level of customer service in our hobby is far greater than most other lines of business. That is just my opinion, but in 17 years of doing hobby business with a multitude of firms/vendors, only one has been utterly recalcitrant and refused to make a wrong right. And that guy is well-known for this. He has two kinds of customers; those who have been, and those who will be.

Anyway, like has been stated, we can vote with our wallets. You pays your money, and you makes your choice...

Old 12-19-2003, 03:40 PM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

I read everything here about the "Bad retracts" and went out and bought the 150 size P-51 in spite of the bad press. In my opinion, if I have to throw the retracts away after the first flight I have still gotten a good deal. This plane is absolutely beautiful and a real bargain in my book.
Old 12-19-2003, 06:47 PM
LSP972

Well, Meesh, I'm afraid I don't see the logic in that.

But if you're happy with it, drive on...

Old 12-19-2003, 10:47 PM
Meesh

Logic in what? That I bought the Mustang or that I think I got a good deal?

I did get a good deal, $989.00 in a package with a Saito 200 Ti twin all new in the boxes.

I'm driving!
Old 12-19-2003, 11:11 PM
LSP972

That you wouldn't be concerned if the retracts you paid for went tango uniform right away, or shortly thereafter.

Retracts kind of make that plane, in my mind. And if they don't work...

Whatever. Keep an eye on the speed limit...
Old 12-19-2003, 11:32 PM
Meesh

The way I look at, it for the money I saved on this package I can afford to upgrade the retracts.

No ARF is perfect. If I had the time I'd build myself and it still wouldn't be perfect. I expect to have to fix/upgrade things when I buy an ARF. It's the nature of the beast.

Just shifted into 6th, doing about a buck 20
Old 05-04-2004, 06:17 PM
clintwhitman

Horizion Rocks Wing failed on a H9 corsair went in. OUCH they Rebuilt Sa100 and a brand new plane ASAP They Rock in my book
Old 05-04-2004, 08:09 PM
scottyboy

by the sounds of most of the comments here, the guys are thinking that hiorizon should get out of the model airplane business!?
Old 05-15-2004, 10:03 AM
nads
My Feedback: (3)

I've placed an order with them, got a confirmation of everything shipping, received it without half of the order (multiple parts) and when I called they claimed those parts were on backorder. Wife called five minutes later and placed the order for those parts no problem. I called back and told them to cancel my backorder. Totally unprofessional