Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

H9 Ultra Stick 40 has been updated!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

H9 Ultra Stick 40 has been updated!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 07:00 PM
AdrianM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default H9 Ultra Stick 40 has been updated!

I just got a red white and blue one. I came here look at all the mods guys do to them to take care of problems. Well the wing bolt block now has a ply plate epoxied to the bottom that ties it into the former behind it. The landing gear plate has hardwood tri stock on the sides and appeared to be epoxied in quite well. Everything else looks fine.

I did pop out the fire wall blind nuts, filled the holes with dowels sanded flush and re drilled for a Dave Brown round mount. The Dave Brown mount was 2oz lighter than the stock H9 (boat anchor) motor mount. I angled the engine to put the exhaust bottom center. A Mac's one piece muffler also takes about 1.5oz off the nose. All of this was to rectify the nose-heaviness often attributed to this plane.

I'm writing this while the 30min epoxy sets for the vert tail. It build stupid fast. Easily complete in an evenings work (and im a perfectionist too). I'll have the AUW soon.

TT .46 Pro
APC 10X6 Sport Prop
Airtronics 7ch Rx
5 Airtronics 94102 Std Servos
Dave Brown Lite Wheels 2-3/4"
5 cell (6V) 1000Mah flight pack
Old 05-10-2004, 07:44 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: H9 Ultra Stick 40 has been updated!

ORIGINAL: AdrianM

I'll have the AUW soon.

TT .46 Pro
APC 10X6 Sport Prop
Airtronics 7ch Rx
5 Airtronics 94102 Std Servos
Dave Brown Lite Wheels 2-3/4"
5 cell (6V) 1000Mah flight pack
I'd bet it's 5 lbs or a little under. Try a prop nut spinner instead of a plastic spinner. Use the one named after a guy, very light (Harry something). Saved me 1 ounce since you don't need the plastic spinner, metal washer, or nut. And that's way up front weight.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:22 PM
AdrianM

I got a Dubro light spinner-prop nut. Harry Higley is the guy you are talking about. His prop-nut-spinners look like World War 2 Radial engine prop hubs.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:55 PM
JoeAirPort

Have you thought about epoxying brass tubing over the dowels? The dowels have a tendency to burn from friction. I heard it here and didn't believe it. Then I started to see burn marks on them. Also you can double the ply around the holes. Just a square inch piece of ply with thick CA. Use a round file to open the holes up to fit the brass tubing. Just a little bit of filing is needed. Also I heard of the gas tank leaking so I put a Sullivan 10 oz flex tank in mine.

How much lighter are those wheels than the stock ones?
Old 05-11-2004, 11:48 AM
AdrianM

The wing dowels are awfully soft wood. I will get the brass tubes for them. What size do i need?
Old 05-11-2004, 11:58 AM
JoeAirPort

The wing dowels are awfully soft wood. I will get the brass tubes for them. What size do i need?
There is a size at the local hobby store that fit's with a little bit of play. The epoxy will fill that. I'm not sure of the size..5/16 or 3/8". Take your wing with you to the hobby store and fit it there.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:50 PM
joseph
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am building the red white and blue. I have a problem. The wing dowel one one side is to low. It's about a 16th off. What is the best way to fix this? The wing sits too high on one side. Thank you joseph
Old 05-11-2004, 05:58 PM
AdrianM

Did you glue the wing halves crooked? If not call Horizon service and get a new wing. Thats the only way to do it right. They may ask you to send back the wing to be sure you didnt glue the wing halfs crooked. If thats the case buy a new wing or drill out the low dowel and fit a new one at the right level.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:35 PM
joseph

Hi, The wings are flat. You can see that they drilled the hole too far down on the one side. I didn't check it first. I was hoping for a good easy fix.How about drilling the hole in the body to 1/2 inch then use a back plate and re-drill to 7/16 and fill the left overs with wood filler?ie put the dowel back with wax paper on it to keep it from sticking. I have already put the servos in etc. Would be a real pain to get new wings if this would fix it. Thank you joseph
Old 05-11-2004, 10:44 PM
JoeAirPort

I measured the tubing. It's 5/16" o.d.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:11 AM
joseph

Yes it is 5/16. Joseph
Old 05-12-2004, 11:28 AM
glowplug

Adrian, instead of the 10x6 APC prop, try an 11x5 APC. The Pro .46 LOVES that prop, and it's an excellent performer with that plane/engine combo. My Ultra Stick has incredible vertical with that combo. The 10x6 will have that plane flying too fast, and hovering and other thrust-vectored manuevers will be too difficult.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:20 PM
AdrianM

I have Pattern planes and 3D planes for serious stuff. I just want a burn holes in the sky plane. This plane will be for inverted low altitude passes down the runway, hammerheads 30 feet off the deck, full throttle passes down the runway....just general fartin' around.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:06 AM
AdrianM

I just finished the plane. Weight with an empty tank is 74.9oz or 4.675lbs. I am very happy with that!

With the lighter Dave Brown mount, Macs one piece Muffler, TT 46Pro and Durbo light Prop-Nut Spinner I had to move my 5 cell 100 Nimh Rx pack all the way forward with the Rx right behind it. It balances right in the middle of the CG range with no added weight. I will be able to shift the CG back as far as I like without have to add any weight.
Old 05-15-2004, 06:21 AM
hawkeye266

What size spinner would you use.
Old 05-15-2004, 10:06 AM
JoeAirPort

ORIGINAL: hawkeye266

Harry Higley has the lightest prop nut spinners. I think it weighed .8 ounces when I weighed it. A 2.50 inch plastic spinner with nut and washer weighed 1.8 ounces. That's an ounce savings right on the forward-most tip of the plane. Also it's one ounce less that the engine sees while accelerating.
Old 05-15-2004, 10:27 AM
jboy381-RCU

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

ORIGINAL: hawkeye266

Harry Higley has the lightest prop nut spinners. I think it weighed .8 ounces when I weighed it. A 2.50 inch plastic spinner with nut and washer weighed 1.8 ounces. That's an ounce savings right on the forward-most tip of the plane. Also it's one ounce less that the engine sees while accelerating.
i have two of those spinners...the lite one and the heavy one...both work great...i've never had the starter spin off the prop...there all i use from now own...

john