Community
Search
Notices
Kyosho Helicopters Discuss all Kyosho heli topics here.

noob

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Sharkyhatman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noob

Hi, well I am new, I have been flying my little hirobo XRB lama for about 3 months now. i got hovering down in a week, and i can do a figure 8 very well now. well anyway, i feel very confident with flying it and I know that it will be diffrent when flying a real rc helicopter, I was looking in to getting a caliber 5. right now i ahve aobut $400 to work with so I was thinking i could buy the kit now and then add on the servos/gyro/engine later on. or should I save my money and get it all at the same time? just wondering if it will matter that much putting it together or if I can buy it in stages. just a stupid question. thanks all sorry thanks for all the help also

Sharky
Old 06-09-2006, 04:31 AM
Cyberfyn

Default RE: noob

The Caliber 5 is a really good heli, but is going to beexpensive by the time you are finished adding all the good bits to it .

The XRB is a good training heli, but there is nothing like the terror of an IC heli spinning away at 1800 rpm a few feet away from you [X(] Plus you will have to master the complexities of the computerised transmitter. Throttle and Pitch curves. Tail mixes and gyro gains. Rudder to roll etc. Have you got a local club you could join? It makes a world of difference to get the heli checked over and set up by someone who knows what they are doing.

I would start with a 30 size for a total newb. Somthing like a Caliber 30 or Rappy. The reasons? Cheaper to build and maintail than a 50 size. It's more than likely that you will have a few "incidents" in the first couple of years & the smaller birds will help with that. When you are zipping around with confidence move up to a 60 and you are set for life.

Here's my Cali. Complete with all the bling!

Ian F.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:18 AM
Sharkyhatman

thanks for the info and I have found a few people in my area, and this is a guy at my hobby shop who has been flying helis for a while now and said he would look it over for free once it is all done. he also said he would fly it to make sure it is all fine and dandy if I wanted him too. I am not a total. I am not a total newb. i have been flying plans for a few years. so I understand a lot and i have been watching helis fly for a while and ask a lot of question to local guys. i really just wanna know if I can build the caliber 5 with out all the gyro/servos/engine and not have a problem and add that stuff later. thanks again for all the advice

Sharky
Old 06-09-2006, 08:33 AM
Cyberfyn

I think the Caliber 5 is ARTF. So you won't have much building to do. All you have to do is mount the boom and blades. Then add all the bits as neccesary. I'd start with engine and then servos (digital on 50's) Decent HH gyro and tail servo. PCM receiver and heli friendly computer transmitter. Also get a high capacity reciver pack and battery monitor. I have a CSM RevLoc govenor on mine. No need to mess with throttle curves. Just set normal mode and idle up mode head speeds and the RevLoc will controll the throttle to keep the headspeed on the button.

Have fun.

Ian.

ps I think the only birds you still have to build up from scratch are Hirobo's and Century. Good experience though.