Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Lanier Yak

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Lanier Yak

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 09:00 PM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lanier Yak

Put several flights on mine today. Excellent results, IMO.

19lbs even
Evolution 58
BCM wrap around Pitts with the stacks cut down
24x8 MSC prop
Hitec 5625's all around... two on rudder.

Pulls out of hover with steady excelleration. Like BoneDoc, and Peter said, mine tucks to the belly on fast KE... but for some reason, is rock solid (no coupling) on high alpha KE. I doesn't waterfall as well as my KMP Yak, but my CG needs to move back some.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:10 PM
petergordon
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Iflyit

Sooo... anybody flying one with a DA-50 have a flight report?

I'm flying with a zdz 50, very close in performance. It'll pull out in a hover, nut not with the good authority. Most times I lean it over a bit and fly out that way. I bought a zdz 60 and will convert over after my clubs funfly this weekend. I need a bit more nose weight, but the zdz 50 balanced the plane fairly well. Right on the wing tube. Which is a bit aft of recommended, but it flew well. A tad twitchy on elev (due to CG?) but I expo'd it out. All in all, the 50 will fly it IMAC, but rudder touches in a hover are out of the question. Just can't get on the throttle enough to pull out when you really need it. Not 5 seconds later...

Peter
Old 07-04-2006, 10:17 PM
BoneDoc
My Feedback: (1)

Fries, I find that for excellent tumbling, my Edge likes about 3/4 to 1" behind their recommendation. Once there, you'll se some wicked waterfall and KE spin.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:18 PM
petergordon
My Feedback: (5)

Now I'm not bashing ARF's here, but here is what I found:

The aluminum tail bracket is too soft. Swapped out for a spring steel one.
The main wheels were made of two different density foam. One wheel was hard, the onther held a flat spot on the bottom for over a week!
The tail wheel eventually falls apart.
The method of using bolt/lock washer/ bonded washer works PERFECT on the cowl and hatch. I'm converting over all my GS planse to this!
The main LG is bendy. Grease the landings to avoid replacing. I'll likely bend up a set myself.
The plane flies very lightly in the air.
The cowl vibrates. I'd recommend a few more hardpoints to mount, or make up a mounting ring.
Use a second method to hold the wings on. I drilled the antirotation pins and installed removable springclips.
The plane looks DAMN GOOD in the air.
The plane hasn't yet WOW'd me. So far I'm more impressed with my 30% Lanier Edge (older bird) or my H9 33% CAP. But I have only had about 6 flights on the YAK so far.

For the $$, this is a great plane. But I have found that I have bought several upgrade parts right off. Wheels, screws, tail spring, etc,, etc. Still, I look forward to flying this plane every time I get to the field.

Peter
Old 07-05-2006, 08:00 AM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

Absolutely, I replaced it with a Large Tail Wheel from Ohio Superstar Products.

The main wheels were made of two different density foam. One wheel was hard, the onther held a flat spot on the bottom for over a week!
I agree, replaced mine with 4 inch Dave Browns (I'm not using wheel pants, my grass field is a little rough).

The method of using bolt/lock washer/ bonded washer works PERFECT on the cowl and hatch. I'm converting over all my GS planse to this!
Again, ditto. The first owner of the Yak lost the hatch on the second flight.

The main LG is bendy. Grease the landings to avoid replacing. I'll likely bend up a set myself.
I have seen better LG's, but I'm not complaining yet....

even at or above 19lbs... it's very light on the wings.

The cowl vibrates. I'd recommend a few more hardpoints to mount, or make up a mounting ring.
I noticed this yesterday, the canopy vibrates as well.

Use a second method to hold the wings on. I drilled the antirotation pins and installed removable springclips.
I going to do this before I fly again. That backup method saved my WH edge on two occasions.

I think the trim scheme is a little 'loud', but the Yak looks very good in the air.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:20 AM
iflywhenican

I posted all those "fixes" a while back...here's another...put a narrow strip of velcro at the back of the hatch for double insurance and to stop vibration. Still another, I put strips of "sticky bak" 1/2" mounting tape on the inside of the cowl. Much quiter and less vibration now.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Iflyit
My Feedback: (512)

Almost done with mine, looks like it will be a brick at 19 1/2 pounds. I lightened the rudder and the canopy but I am using 2 2400 packs and regulators for redundancy since I had a reg fail on my BME Yak.

Doubt I will keep this one long as 19 1/2 is way too heavy for a DA-50

Im using 5945 servos all the way around except a 5995 on the rudder.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:03 PM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost done with mine, looks like it will be a brick at 19 1/2 pounds. I lightened the rudder and the canopy but I am using 2 2400 packs and regulators for redundancy since I had a reg fail on my BME Yak.

Doubt I will keep this one long as 19 1/2 is way too heavy for a DA-50

Im using 5945 servos all the way around except a 5995 on the rudder.
sounds like a complete brick to say the least! What brand of regulator did you have fail?

JOhn
Old 07-06-2006, 10:06 PM
Iflyit

I wont get into that but it was a fluke.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:17 PM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you screwed up
Old 07-06-2006, 10:18 PM
Iflyit

ORIGINAL: jrjohn

Sounds like you screwed up

No I did not screw anything up.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:23 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Well guys... after a getting hornswaggled into a bunch of non-related issues life has to offer,

I finally had the chance to finish up the Lanier Yak, setup the surfaces and fly it.

After all was said and done... the plane came out to 18 lbs 2 oz... and this is a really accurate weight.

This includes all the mods I shared earlier in the thread from lightening he canopy and tail, to CF wing/stab tubes and tailwheel. (no wheel pants)

I chose to mount a single strong servo in the tail for rudder.

DA50 with stock muffler for power spinning a 22x8 MSC, a 4800 mah lion for receiver with smartfly 6 volt regulator, a 4 cell 1400 mah pack for ignition.

16 oz Dubro tank fitted with a two line system, a "T" and some fuel barbs.

The battery was placed in the fuse behind former F1, so a midrange balance was easily acheived (7" from leading edge at fuse)

This of course primarily due to the fact that that I had lightened the rudder, tailblock and went with CF stab tubes...

I am now comvincee that the "problem" with this plane is in the marketing/specs chosen. It is an 18-21 lb aircraft... but is without a doubt a LARGER aircraft than any of the 85-87" Yaks out there... It's BIG.

I was able to compare it side by side with an EF yesterday... and while they look similar... it's easy to discern the size difference. Wings, stabs and rudder are larger considerably.

The DA50 did an excellent job on it in 92+ degree heat/humidity at 700-800 ft ASL. While it did not have the extreme power to weight ratio I would want from my favorite 3D planes... it easily pulled out of a hover, not clawed nor rocketed... but with a little enthusiam. Higher altitudes would fair worse of course.

The plane felt very light in the air and performed VERY well... no snapping tendencies at all... and a hard wall only shimmied a smidge... harriers are really solid. Inv. and upright flatspins... nice.... quite nice.

When I consider the price (now $500) and the overall quality of the plane... I have to give it a thumbs up.

How should someone else build it? Depends on flight envelope desired...

For best overall performance, the mods are highly recommended and a DA-50 at lower altitudes will provide a light wingloaded plane with great power (pehaps a little low, but not bad)

For IMAC you can build this plane any way you want and just baalnce it.

If you don't wish to do any mods a more powerful engine either an MVVS58 to a 75-80cc engine will be required to balance easily and provide great power to weight at the cost of some wingloading...

A side from a couple blemishes in the paint on the cowl... I was very impressed with the overall quality...

In short... if you want an all out 3D Demon... you might consider a QQ 85" Yak with a DA50.... but if you have a 60-80cc engine allready on hand, or enjoy getting personal with your plane (as I do) The Lanier is a sexy, well built aircraft worth it's price easily. IMAC guys are gonna love this plane built stock with anything from a 50cc-80cc engine... and with a little work... 3D guys will be very pleased.

I am working ont he full review today and hopefully will be posted here on RCU in the next week.

Sorry to those I left "holding the bag". Fortunately... there have been plenty other reoprts to go by.

Oh... one last thing... I suppose if a fella really wanted the lightest/best performance from 50cc equipped plane... then in addition to my existing mods would remove the belly balsa (about 4 oz + savings, and cut into the wing to create a single servobay centered inthe aileron (another 5+ oz savings)

That would provide you with a 17.5 lb plane... Providing that extra weight reduction to allow the 50cc engine to shine that much more...
Old 07-17-2006, 07:48 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Very disappointing review of this plane in MAN this month. The tank came in at 20.5 pounds with a DA 50 and the author didn't mention any dissapointment in it or recommend a larger engine instead of the 2 pounds of dead weight he put on it for CG, which, by the way, was at the very back of the engine box and his batteries weren't even as far up front as possible. I already knew this was a heavy plane, but MAN really screwed the pooch on this one. Where do they get these guys that do such crappy reviews??? If I were lanier, I'd be tearin' them a new poophole!
Old 07-17-2006, 08:08 AM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

Agree 100% with your observations below - I have the Lanier Extra 330 and likely it's identical hardware.

I bent the main landing gear gradually on a few harder landings and it actually started putting pressure on the ply side walls. Replaced it with a CF gear I had lying around and the problem is gone.

The wheels are cheap and of very low quality. I replaced with some larger (4") light DuBros and it works fine.

I did also replace some of the screws they provided for control horns (too soft) with some hardened socket 10/32s and better Dubro hardware. Ailerons got titanium turnbuckles.

Other than that, I like the plane very much. It flies great and looks great in the air.

ORIGINAL: petergordon

Now I'm not bashing ARF's here, but here is what I found:

The tail wheel eventually falls apart.
The plane hasn't yet WOW'd me. So far I'm more impressed with my 30% Lanier Edge (older bird) or my H9 33% CAP. But I have only had about 6 flights on the YAK so far.

For the $$, this is a great plane. But I have found that I have bought several upgrade parts right off. Wheels, screws, tail spring, etc,, etc. Still, I look forward to flying this plane every time I get to the field.

Peter
Old 07-17-2006, 08:25 AM
Maudib

I saw that too... and the 2 lbs of nose wieght was just non-chalantly and somewhat hidden in a sidebar.

It's in these cases that it seems the writer really just avoided the facts in order to not have to abytinng bad... I mean 2 lbs of noseweight is acceptable in a warbirs.... maybe.... but not a performance 3D aircraft.

I always try and tell it like it is... and then share what experience I can to make it the best it can be.

I too was initilly disappointed with the out of box weight (a little over 12 lbs) but after comparing it to other "50cc yaks" realized how big it is...

I remember going to Toledo this past April and seeing Aerowork's 50cc Yak and thinking how dinky it looked... I mean 1.60 size it seemed to me.

The Lanier is so much bigger in fact... that I question whether it doesn't have alittle more wingarea than the stated 1468... and yet thats still almost 150 more sq in than the QQ yak. And the stab is huge.

The real problem is in the stated 16.5-18lbs... it simply has misled so many people and built up false hopes... that it causes a worse reaction than if it the specs were chosen more judiciously.

For example:

60-75cc yak
1448 sq in.
19-21 lbs

And plenty of peopl ewould have gladly bought it...

But many people thought they'd get a 17 lb plane for their 50c engine... no way possible to build out this plane at that... I came OVER the highest weight with a good bit of lightening and CF items, and no wheel pants.

But again... it's the "goal" set by Lanier that simply doesn't fit... use the psecs above, and I took a 60-75 cc plane and put the effort into it to make a pretty decent 50cc 3D aerobat. Other's can go the larger engine and have a very powerful IMAC plane... and noone is dissapointed in the "result vs. perceived goal".

It does bother me when reviews (often magazines) just state the facts and don't give opinions or options. As you all know I am one opinonated dude... and my reviews get this info... I think in the long run it helps both the manufacturer and the enduser...

Ah well... will posta link to the review when it goes live...

Oh... BTW... I used the Smartfly Equalizers to match the wing servos... OMG... these things are the CAT'S MEOW... SOOOOOOOO easy to perfectly match servos.

-J. David
Old 07-17-2006, 10:10 AM
Iflyit

My final weight listed above was before trying to balance it, I had to add about a half pound to the nose to balance it and I did the lightening mods. Mine came to 20 pounds 4 ounces ready to fly dry, and needless to say it does not fly 3D very well at all at that weight. I called Lanier and now he told me that his he had flying with a DA-50 was 19 pounds and it performed great

For a review of the plane it should be built stock in my opinion and thats they way I try to do my reviews but most of the time hardware needs to be changed for safety. That will let the average person that will buy the item know what to expect.

Mine is for sale in the for sale forum and my QQ just arrived from the shipper .
Old 07-17-2006, 10:55 AM
Maudib

Yes, and most every other reviewer out there duplicate the manual and build "stock"... so the "average person" will build a plane and never maximize their investment, performance and person skills.

If that's what someone wants, then I humbly refer them to the magazines. But noone learns a darn thing from them.

My reviews are designed to get the most out of an aircraft and share tips and techniques for building confidence as well as great airplanes... some require very little changes (like the GP Ultimate and EF Yaks) and others... like the Lanier Yak require more effort.

Lanier didn't do you any justice... and you spent countless hours and dollars building a plane that you have for sale already...

Hopefully my review will allow some people to not waste that time and effort... some will simply pass on the plane, others will go larger on the engine and still others will opt to do the mods I performed and make a really awesome 3D plane...

Most importantly is make fair comparisons so that ALL buyers have the data they need to make a decision. Not everyone is into 3D... and some wouldn't fly IMAC if their hobby depended on it.

A little more effort and I could have this plane at 17 lbs... (Belly balsa, firewall lightening, lipos, single servo mod and CF spinner) And with my measured 1471 sq in... that's mondo wingloading... and 17 lbs is a walk in the park for a DA50.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:09 AM
Iflyit

I base it on that the ones I have done, the manufacturers do not want something changed and they told me that they want it built stock. If the review states that you need to go out and buy more items to make it fly better or lighter the buyers dont like that and don't buy the plane. I am guilty of changing things in a review that is when I was told by them to build it stock on the next ones and I can see where they are coming from
RCgroups also has a requirement to build something as stock as possible for a review but RCUniverse doesn't.

If mine doesnt sell I may just get a evolution 58 or may try to lose some weight somewhere but I think it will be difficult to do. Maybe if I built a new rudder from scratch I could probably save alot of weight there and move my servo inside to a pull pull setup.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:10 PM
bodywerks

I absolutely REFUSE to add dead weight to an aerobatic ship!!!. Sure, I have had to use a solid aluminum spinner backplate and/or CF prop to get the nose down, and even used a header tank up in the engine box that I would fill when I balanced the aircraft as "useable ballast". Too many people do not go to the very limit to balance a plane. Heck, even the heavier spinner and prop are a last resort for me! To me, if you are having balance issues, you have to go to the lengths as I did below before adding dead weight! Those rails each have my batteries attached to them to get the most moment out of their mass...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92385.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	492758  
Old 07-17-2006, 02:11 PM
bodywerks

By the way, it was still a tad tailheavy and I had done just about all I could do, so I took all my equipment out and it is now up for sale.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:19 PM
Iflyit

LOL

ORIGINAL: bodywerks

By the way, it was still a tad tailheavy and I had done just about all I could do, so I took all my equipment out and it is now up for sale.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:13 AM
bodywerks

It was very flyeable, but about 1/4" tailheavy for precision stuff, but like I said, I refused to add dead weight...got the stuff in a QB 260 now and it balanced much easier and is still just a hair noseheavy, and weighs the same amount, if not a couple ounces less, and looks and flies much more to my liking.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:50 PM
BoneDoc

lol, I will refrain from making weight comments as I have previously done . My Edge is just a tad over 17 lbs, no more than 17.5 lbs for sure. It'll pull out just fine out of hover, but definitely not something I want to try TR or hovering down low unless I'm pretty confident in my skills. I've got a DA50 and Bolly 23x8.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:50 PM
Maudib

After having flown the Lanier, I decided it was worthwhile to complete all of the lightening I could...

I just happened to have some CF 33% Edge 540 Gear that were a little shorter, but worked perfectly... and I save 1/4 lb (a tad over 4 oz).

Then I have turned my attention to the aileron mod... setting them up for a single servo. As I mentioned before... while someone may very well get by with placing a single servo in one of the bays, it isn't optimal, an there is risk of flutter and potential disaster as a result of. Yet, the dual servos add weight and complexity to the setup.

The following mod has been done at my own risk... and I do not recommend it to anyone... however, I feel very comfident that this mod will work very well for me, and am sharing it for educational/entertainment purposes only. Should you choose to do this mod, or any mod to anty plane for that matter, you do so at your own risk.

With this mod I have saved over 1/4 lb once again... and with the CF gear dropped another 1/2 lb... I'm very tickled and please to own one of the few (if not the only one) Lanier 87" Yak at 17.5 lbs. This plane is huge and I expect to get a LOT of enjoyment this summer with the DA50 strapped to it's nose.

Step one:

Peel off the red square covering the existing servo opening. Then peel back halfway the red square with the star that overlays ther bay we will be working in. Draw a line across the top and bottom of the existing servo openings. I've outlined the open bay area. This bay is the next inboard from the outermost servo bay.
I also marked the servo location. (Note later I moved it over a bit.. about 1/8" more on that later) I took a piece of white paper and traced the layout, including the outline of the bay onto it. This will be used later as a template for sheeting and servo opening cutout.

Name:	Wt59000.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	503446  
Old 08-07-2006, 01:52 PM
Maudib

Next mark and cut the covering from the bay. I cut it along the center of the cap strips so reattachement will be easy. I cut it down in the bevel to hide the seam better, but did not cut it at the top... just taped it out of my way.

Name:	Bz77157.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	503447  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.