Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 07:58 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Hi guys

Dave your pait looks great from hearnice and even, looking forward to final color on top pic's

Wulf do you have rivet locations?, as corsairs were spot welded except ware sections were joined,and a few minor spots. how about some pic's of your progress.

I still have not got my G-62 dialed in , have not had much time with the hart rehab thing it is a lot of work trying to get back your energy, but it is comming, well thats enough of my nonsence.

Cheers Bob T
Old 07-22-2006, 10:08 PM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rt3232
I finally got the glass done up to my liking I used a thicker fiberglass cloth and it came out better than I expected. its only the 6th set or so I lost count.Whwn I get both side installed I'll get some pics for you.
George
Old 07-23-2006, 01:19 PM
rt3232

Hi Ctflyboy

Looking fwd to pic's, hope to get a chance to workon the 62 this week,

Cheers Bob T
Old 07-23-2006, 02:02 PM
bosssman
My Feedback: (35)

Hi Bob (and wulf and others too numerous to mention in this thread),

I am ashamed to say not much has happened on my Corsair. If some of you recall, I got dealt a kick in the stomach last late September by losing my job of 10 years to an outfit in India. I thought I would be able to bounce back, but unfortunately, the bouncing back has been pretty sluggish. About the only R/C work I have done is lurk here and there and respond to a thread every so often. At any rate, the job situation has pretty much stabilized and I am ready to jump back in, although I am WAY behind the build curve as most of you that started with me last year. Anyway, I will post some pics later, although just basic build pics that have been already posted by others....

randy

p.s. Bob, thanks for the PMs in the past - they did not go unnoticed.....
Old 07-23-2006, 05:55 PM
rt3232

Hi Randy
It is great to see you back, and all I can say is I hear you , Can't waite to see some pic's and if you need a question ansured it would be MY pleasure to respond, like I said from the begining I am not a scale expert but I have learned a lot from thuse in RCU that are. I will quit for now with a question, How much scale are you planing.

Cheers Bob T
Old 07-23-2006, 09:05 PM
ctflyboy

Hi Randy,

Welcome Back
Old 07-29-2006, 07:40 PM
rt3232

Hi guys
Its just me finaly got the 62 nearly dialed in I now have a top end at about 71 to 7200 rpm and an idle of about 1700 on a 20-6-10, have to have a tweeking party next week and run a coupla tanks of fuel with the cowl on, to make sure I have it right, Then if the heat brakes hear in flyover land will try for a maiden, Its just to d----m hot for me..

Cheers Bob T
Old 07-29-2006, 08:51 PM
ctflyboy

Hi RT,Wulf and the rest of you,
With the heat WAVE we are having here in Ct. and I don't have AC in my shop this Dude is taking a break until the weather gets back to some kind of normalcy, will be in touch soon.
George

RT, I'm glad to see you made progress with the 62 what was the final analysis on the engine?
Old 07-30-2006, 08:47 AM
rt3232

Hi george

Well it turned out to be three things, 1 was the piece of what looked like a broken thread in the shape of a circle about 200 + deg's bejind the alum plug unde the diafram,and plugging the low speed ports, 2 was the iso blocks thin wall (old style phenolic) leaking air, this you all most have to see to belive, 3 was bad gaskets, iso block and carb, mostly carb. I would not bet but the first new gaskets came from my LOH they were about a year old, and of different mtl. Any way there is a vary narrow web between a mounting hole and the iso block barral and if first gaskets were not aligned just right you had an air leak (no low end) new gaskets fit vary precicely and make a lot (all) of differance..

well like I said the weather has to break befor I go to the field even to tweek the low end, low last nite was about 79, and its sun morning about 7:30 am, and its up to 89 deg, and going to 100+ Well enough of this.

Cheers Bob T
Old 07-30-2006, 04:34 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

I found this thread today and love it. I have a GS Corsair on my dining room table so maybe you guys can help me get it off. I had a stroke back in August 2004 and spent a lonnnggggg time in the hospital. I can't fly right now because I only have one good hand but I can build, just a lot slower than usual. Everyone here deserves a thank you for the wealth of information that you chose to share. This post is over a year old (still new to me) and still gets read to this day.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:54 PM
rt3232

Tomcat
welcome, some how this thread has a few old geezers in it and having fun, hope you can post pic's of your project, and like I mentioned to Randy aka Bossman I am no expert, but have learned a lot from those hear in RCU that are, and will ansure questions that I know the ansure to..

Cheers Bob T
Old 08-11-2006, 08:40 PM
rt3232

Hi guys

Well I finaly got the 62 dialed in to a good top end 71 to 7200 on a 20-6-10 and an idle of 1850 and great transition, put 2 tanks of fuel through it just to make sure it would not guit in the middle, So it looks like we will get a maiden as soon as wife gets out of hospital. will keep you posted and will post pic's

Bob T
Old 08-12-2006, 12:25 AM
D Bronk

Sorry to hear ,about your Wife ,Bob..[] Glad to hear ,about your engine though...
Old 08-12-2006, 09:52 PM
ctflyboy

Hope the wife has a SPEEDY recovery Bob, and it sounds like your on your way, haven't had much time to do anything on my bird, but will keep you posted.
George
Old 08-18-2006, 07:52 PM
spackler83

Little Help here fellas. I just got my kit and when checking the parts, i noticed that they sent the wrong numbers of somethings. The center main spar(CSRGW01 and 02) calls for 2 pieces of birch ply and 1 regular ply laminated together. They only sent me 1 birch and 2 ply. What im asking is, is it ok to just laminate 3 pieces of the regular ply together? I know it will add a little weight, but i believe it will also be stronger. Thanks!
Old 08-18-2006, 08:35 PM
rt3232

Spackler83

I am not sore the regular ply is as strong as birch, but what ever you do make sure both sides match ( thickness) One thing I found towers customer service to be fary suportive and will (have) sent (shipped) missing parts the same day that I called, My suggestion would be do another inventory and make sure the part is not in a seam or in a layer of the wood as you have a hole tree in that box, then give them a call.

Hope this helps, and nice to see you in the thread hope you post pic's along the way

Cheers Bob T
Old 08-18-2006, 09:25 PM
spackler83

Ok. One thing i know is that the 3 i would be laminating are stronger than the other "1", whether it be the birch or regular ply(kinda hard to tell). I did go back through and didnt see it though. I emailed top flite and hope to hear back soon. Thank you for the advice. I will definitely post pics, and may even try to post some of this issue and see if you cant help me deciphir whats what.

Thanks
Ash
Old 08-18-2006, 10:51 PM
ctflyboy

I wouldn't e-mail them I'd call them direct that way you know you'll be taken care of from a real person instead of a computer, also you'll probably get a faster turnaround on parts,You paid for them you might as well get what you bought. That's what I would do.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:54 PM
rt3232

Spackler83 aka ASH

Try Towers order assistance # 1-800-637-6050, you will get a nice sounding voice (at least I have) that was vary easy and nice to deal with. Any way got a coupla of questions for you if you don't mind. Frist is are you planning any scale mod's, what engine are you planning for, scale cockpit, etc.

Don't be afraid to ask questions be couse there outhers reading this thread that do ansure from time to time and we all learn from the process

Cheers Bob T
Old 08-20-2006, 08:01 PM
spackler83

First, I have the right pieces. My manual was misprinted, but its all ok now.

Second, i want to take my time and do a good job. I dont want to hurry through and cut corners. I would like to try retract doors, and i would like to try the sliding canopy from iron bay. I contacted them and they said its $60, and it can be modified to fit. Both will take some time, but there are some great ideas on here from everyone for the dors.

Engine wise im not sure. It looks like a lot of people use the G-62, so that is an option. I also like the Evolution 58. Although it is lighter than the 62 by about 11 OZ.

I am going to fiberglass finish it, and then airbrush it. Im just not sure which scheme yet. The only thing I see with the Corsairs is that i myself dont see a ton of people flying them, but when you do, they are all th same scheme. I was trying to fing something unique, but i want it to be scale.

Also, i just noticed the wing loading on this plane. 44OZ? Wow, thats high. Does it land like a brick, or is it pretty stable? I can fly it either way, but i fly planes and not helicopters because i like to relax and have fun when i fly. Not feel like im fightin a 1000 lb pound marlin.

Thanks so much for the help everyone!!
Old 08-21-2006, 07:26 AM
rt3232

Specklerd83

Sound like you have planned you project out pretty well, The build in this thread was my second one and do to engine and health problems it is still a hanger queen, But my first one flew great , In stall testing it would brake hard left, but easy recovery, the only bad trait was the tendency to snap on landings just before touch down. the C/G was as called for in the manual, my new bird I have moved the C/G 5/8 fwd this will increase the touch down speed a little but should eliminate the snap,and I need all the help I can get..

One suggestion temp install your retracts and wheels while wing is still in the frame only, and install your gear door rib's, (when I build again I will use lite ply) and allow at leat a 1/4 clearance depending on what kind of mech you will be using. I might add even with a 62 up front, I still had to add weight, If you go with the evolution from what we have seen it is a good choice and will provide good to execllent pwr If you read the early part of this thread there some ideas on keeping the tail end light

Cheers Bob T
Old 08-21-2006, 10:59 AM
spackler83

Let me get something clear. When i set the CG on planes, i go with what the manual says, and then just play with it from there until it flies the way i like it. When you say "Move the CG forward" do you mean that if,for say, your CG is 2 inches from the LE, and you move it forward 1 inch, will it now be 1 inch from the leading edge, or 3 inches?

Im using the robarts tha are recommened, and the mains are on their way, but the tail wheel is back ordered. No worries though, not like i need them tomorrow :-)

Also, another thing for anyone that can help. I want to build a custom muffler so the exhaust is relatively to sacle. I have seen the ones in this thread and have a good idea of what i need to do, but i want to know if you guys put baffles inside yours, or if you didnt. If you did, how did you position them.

Things like this and fellow modelers like yall is what makes this sport so enjoyable to me. THANKS!
Old 08-21-2006, 08:11 PM
rt3232

Hi Spackler83

I did not mean to confuse the issue on the C/G I balanced my bird per page 54 the only differance is in my manual it give a dim of 5 3/4 I used 5 1/8,With th lighting I did in the tail it balanced just right at the suggested point, but by moving it fwd I had to add about 12 oz and I put it inside fuse at the fire wall. This change was suggested by a coupla of corsair buff to question I had ask in another thread, any way your bird will fly great at the suggested C/G but make sure you are real close to the ground when you get slow, or vary hi till you see how it flys at stall with gear and flaps down. I am just expressing my experiance.

Have you decided on wheels , there are some great looking scale ones available sence I got mine..

About the muffler the tubes are at an angle so the are beveled and go into a wall about 1/8 gap, I was lucky I ran in to a modler with a machine shop, I made him a wood mock up, or model of what I wanted and he did the rest and reasonable. If I were to build it again I would use smaler tubes and 4 of them so that i could get amore scale set up.

Hope this helps, keep in tuch.

Cheers Bob T
Old 08-29-2006, 02:00 AM
GrCab

After many months away from my build, I've spent most of my time in the last 3 weeks scratching my head (raw) and trying to figure out how to make a sliding canopy work. I think I've finally got it. I need to glue the framework to the canopy and then I can get back to the fun stuff (glueing wood together). Here's a short video. See what you guys think.

http://media.putfile.com/TF-GS-Corsair-Canopy
Old 08-29-2006, 07:03 PM
rt3232

Hi GrCab

That video is nice, and the canopy is great, please keep us posted on the rest of your build.

Cheers Bob T

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.