Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 06:10 PM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Thank you Bob. My time table is such to keep working on the thing and finish it!! Love the plane and am sick of myself not working on it, so just keep going til it's ready. It's first to maiden this spring....behind the plane below....I use a single action Pasche airbrush, but will probably swap it out for a double action soon as my pal uses one and it seems to do a nice job and is a little less finicky. Here's the proof of the double action Pasche at work..

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36943.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	543499  
Old 10-18-2006, 07:41 PM
cimara

looks great wolf . You painted that hole plane with an air brush makes my finger hurt just thinking about it . do you use automotive paint or model paint like model master or testors?
Old 10-18-2006, 07:48 PM
cimara

what do you guys think about putting the access panel for the fuel fill air fill of switches here the center tank is on the fuse ? I know theres a stringer there but the panel would be about 3 inches in dia i think .should be plenty room am i missing anything that might be a problem?
Old 10-18-2006, 08:04 PM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Yeah, I guess you're right Cimara. I hadn't really considered that part, but as you mention it, now that I think about it, I DID notice my finger hurt for a good while afterwards [:@]. It's all the consistent spraying with the 3 colors I guess. I used Modelmaster paints. I actually didn't use as much as I would have thought. The dark primer helped I think. I use those because it's just what I know the characteristics of really well...i.e. how much to thin, consistency, spray pressure, change with clear coat application, etc. It's also nice just buying what you need at the LHS and having a consistent supply of them anywhere usually.

I think where you're talking about for the valves is blocked by the air tank. I'm stuffing mine on the bottom somewhere moderately inconspicuous from the top, but within easy reach. We'll see how it goes here as to where they end up.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:06 PM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

Hey Mike,

How many bottles did you use? What is the mix consistency? how about air pressure? What about FUMES? What do you thin it down with?
I have a pasche single action, do you reccommend a dual action?
I'm weighing out the possibilities I have a friend of a friend who does excellent spray painting,but I'm concerned about how much he sprays on.

Geo.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:20 PM
ctflyboy

HI GUYS,
If anyone is looking for a signal squadron book on the F4U Ifound this site.

WWW. HOBBYLINC.COM go to search type in F4U corsair

Just thought I'd mention it.

George
Old 10-19-2006, 12:50 AM
SMUGator

ORIGINAL: Zeeb

The F2G "Super Corsair" was built only by Goodyear and in very limited numbers. It used a P&W R-4360 four row radial engine rated at 3,000hp for that install. It is commonly referred to as a "corncob". Howard Hughes used them on the Spruce Goose...
Here are a couple of F2G photos that may help you. I have a couple of dozen detail shots of the one at the Museum of Flight here in Seattle.

Tom

Name:	Tr49154.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	543678   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47819.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	543679   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ek14992.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	543680   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42442.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	543681   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81493.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	543682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88353.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	543683  
Old 10-19-2006, 01:21 PM
bass0matic

I going nuts with my China Models corsair. doe's anyone have any feedback on installing the retracts. soon I will smother it with lighter fluid, ignite it and watch it burn in flight.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:20 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Nice pics Tom...

I love those cut away R-4360's!

The first one I saw was at the display/museum for the Spruce Goose in Long Beach about 1973. The thing that was so neat about that one, was that it was done in such a way that they were able to drive it with an electric motor so you could see all the "monkey motion" going on in that massive engine.

There's another cut away R-4360 at the Hill Field Air Force base museum in Ogden, Utah which is about 70 miles north of me. I never get tired of looking at it and the A&P in me just marvels at how something like that engine could be maintained in the field...
Old 10-19-2006, 03:49 PM
M_Callahan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi bob, my F4u is monocoat covered. I was real careful about how much epoxy I used,
my usual practice was the bigger the glob, the better the job. Now I use disposable
burshes and try for just enough to do the job, you know, keep that part of the epoxy that
squeezes out from between the parts to a minimum. i would not have thought that it would
have amounted to that much weight though.

I missed who said that they were going to set theirs up at 1/2" forward of CG. Seems like a
lot to me. My elevator was a little sensitive but she did not seem to want to snap. On the
other hand The tail did not want to come up on take off, had to give just a little bit of down elevator,
maybe I do need some more nose weight.

Mike
Old 10-19-2006, 06:47 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Hi Guys
Wulf/Mike
Just thinking about using an air brush for that much surface make my fingers hert, m/master paint hear at the LHS only comes in 4oz bottles what size doyou get? for my painting I am using a automotive style tuch up gun seems to do a fair job.

Cimara
If you install the big air tank as shown on the plan, it is in the way for your hatch, thats why I put my in the side and if you are careful, it is only seen when some one gets up close, as you can fake a pnl line, see the pic's in the thread.. with this bird it is still stand off scale.

Tom
I have to add thuse are great pic's

Zeeb
you sneaky critter didn't know you are or were an A & P and I have to agree, when looking at a cutaway and see all that is going on its a marvel, and you probably know that on the B-36 they could survice each engine from a cat walk along the rear spar of the wing, as I rember it was carb adjustments only, fuel filters for water.

M Callahan/mike
Thanks for the info on covering, I thought mabe I was missing something, when I built my bird I used a lot of Gorilla glure it a tad lighter, but you have to learn how and how much to uselast spring I made some glue samples 5 min/30 min epoxy, gorilla, med CA and elmers, just to see how they would hold up except for the CA, they all tested about the same, but for the weight

The weather is still in the dumper so no maiden as yet.

Cheers Bob
Old 10-19-2006, 07:30 PM
cimara

I was going use the fuel tank panel lines to hide the line of the hatch but you all are right that tank is in the way . hey bob how did you get the lines so tight as to hide the panel when closed and what holds it shut ? this is a little off subject but i was looking up the B36 the other night and found the goblin that that would be a cool model you think any one makes a kit or would that be a scratch build?
Old 10-19-2006, 07:38 PM
Zeeb

ORIGINAL: rt3232

Hi Guys

<snip>

Zeeb
you sneaky critter didn't know you are or were an A & P and I have to agree, when looking at a cutaway and see all that is going on its a marvel, and you probably know that on the B-36 they could survice each engine from a cat walk along the rear spar of the wing, as I rember it was carb adjustments only, fuel filters for water.

<snip>

Cheers Bob
Hey Bob,

Yeah I've got an A&P, as well as a Commercial Pilot license with multi-engine and instrument ratings...

Yup I know something about the "Peacemaker" as I had an uncle who served on them as an aircrew member in the '50's.

I'm actually a retired Firefighter/Paramedic but like most who serve in the Fire Service, I had a number of part time jobs and that's how I got the aviation experience. I've been an airplane nut for as long as I can remember and the Corsair was always my favorite airplane from the WW II era. I've helped with Dago Red for about the last three years as it was maintained for the last five or six years here at the field where I worked. I hoped to get more involved with Dago as well as the other five Mustangs my friend was taking care of at Provo when I retired, but the owner retired Dago about the time I retired, one owner died and another sold his airplane so my friend doesn't need any help now, bummer...[]

But last I heard, my friend is traveling with and maintaining that Super Corsair on the airshow circuit and he's pretty well known around Chino, so maybe there's still hope I'll get to tinker with the real thing some day!
Old 10-19-2006, 09:45 PM
cimara

Heres my exhaust not sure if its going to work yet weighting on the g62 . the large tube is 5/8 soft copper thats about 7 inches in dia the small tubes is 1/4.Ill have to bend the 1/4 inch tubes to shape after I remove the wood in the stock locations .I found out you can braze copper today didnt know that. Planing on using a pits muffler and running the exhuast from it in to the ring with that silicone exhuast tubing you can buy just got to find out how much heat it can take .I think nitro runs a lot cooler than gas.

Name:	Gd93894.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	544230  
Old 10-19-2006, 09:56 PM
ctflyboy

Cimara
how do you plan on attatching this unit to the engine, actually its a good idea I hope it work

Keep us posted on future developments,
Geo.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:37 PM
cimara

I hope like this . If this does not work I will have to make a muffler.I am also playing around with attaching it to the fire wall but I would have to account for the g62 vibrations .
Old 10-19-2006, 10:38 PM
cimara

hope it works this time heres the pic if it does

Name:	Ay74784.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	544258  
Old 10-20-2006, 08:20 PM
cimara

This inverted thing is confusing me . the pitts muffler will not work . the out put goes to the top of the 62 . Ill have to make my own muffler
Old 10-20-2006, 08:50 PM
rt3232

Hi cimara

Whrn you say top of the engine, you are saying the head is the top Right?? if so that is correct. when you mount the engine inverted the exhust ports should be at 6 oclock and you will have to re port to reach you ring exaust, please take a pic side view of negine with muffler and your ring set up in rellative to one another. may be able to offer more help.

Cheers Bob
Old 10-20-2006, 09:05 PM
rt3232

Cimara
After looking at your pic of the ring set up what you might consider is taking the round can off of the pitts muffler and have a local shop put on a backplate with a round tube to exit to your ring, then add a maitting tube on the ring toward the exhaust and use a pice of high temp dark blue of silicon tubing from your LHS, to connect. that is how I hook up the left side of my exhust sys.. just a thought..

Bob
Old 10-20-2006, 09:37 PM
Zeeb

For any of you who are still collecting parts as I am, I just got an e-mail from the Empire and the Robart main gear is in stock in limited quantities. They've been out for a number of months now and mine is actually backordered but they say I won't know if I'll get them for about four days...
Old 10-20-2006, 09:42 PM
ctflyboy

Rt3232
Did I read your post right,your going to build 2 planes this winter,

George Curious what will they be?
Old 10-20-2006, 09:54 PM
cimara

This is what I was wanting to do but the pitts mufflers out put is going the wrong way. the pic is upside down couldnt figure out how to flip it so it would be like it was on the plane
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Us52908.pdf (4.8 KB, 41 views)
Old 10-20-2006, 10:01 PM
cimara

Bob how loud would that make it . I dont want a super loud engine . its a great idea though .At first I was going to just run the exhaust strait in to the ring but that thing would scream
Old 10-20-2006, 10:06 PM
cimara

Zeeb tower has them in stock as well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.