Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

crop duster r/c

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

crop duster r/c

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 08:40 AM
RedTwilight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: crop duster r/c

Does NZAP have an e-mail address? Or any other way to contact them besides phone or snail-mail.
Thanks
Old 11-16-2006, 04:17 PM
aero-tech

Hello RedTwilight

NZAP does not have a internet email or web address, they are only contactable by phone
or mail.
I have written to them only a matter of weeks ago and received very fast reply by mail.

The guy uses the net, so I have no idea why he does not list his email address.

Regards Glenn Block
Old 11-16-2006, 04:45 PM
aero-tech

G-DAY Stuart.

Thanks for the information, have you flown your aircraft yet ???
I am about to start construction on mine after purchasing the plans and all the fibreglass parts
some 15 years ago frrom NZAP.

Built a hell of a lot of aircraft since then, but the duster bug has bitten me and I plan to start as soon as I
finish my latest project.

I see you are in Sydney, phone number included, so I shall give you a call and have a chat.
Just got home from a holiday in Tasmania, and answering all the emails.

Regards Glenn Block
03 52293601
Old 11-18-2006, 01:18 AM
SIMCO
My Feedback: (33)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is hollis"s 100 airtractor. I went gas and installed a G-38. Figured if glow was on the bottom and dropping powder it would be a mess.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:11 AM
GPutt33
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Guys - Some great looking Dusters coming along out there

Simco - Anxious to see your slurry bomber in action. Your right about the gasser probably making less mess with a powder drop then a glow. I've got a Saito GK 150 inverted in mine with pitt muffler, and after about 2 or 3 flights, it takes awhile to get the bottom cleaned up

To make a really scale drop, you'll want almost full flaps, low and SLOW, and then it'll lay out more like a real drop. The first drops I did were at a higher height then needed and to fast and just ended up leaving a nice white baby powder covering over eveything the length of the field. The guys were real happy with me We at least had the best smelling RC field in the country I have used baby poweder as well as straight old flour, and it acutally seams like the flour drops a little more scale like in simulating a liquid slurry. I also tried mixing in a bunch of carpenters red chalk with baby powder one day........ Don't unless you want even more of a mess to clean up[X(]

In this pic you can see the flaps are lowered and the bottom of the fuse and tailwheel have disappeared due to the "Slurry Drop". It will be a great crowd pleaser at Fly Ins. If you can get some help, you can also create a small prop if you want and it's allowed. Get a steel pan you can build with a slide cover also made out of steel. Stake the pan in place way out in front of the flight line, and build a small fire in the pan. A little wood with some motor oil for smoke works great. Run a small steel cable from the lid to your partner. Take off and light the pan, when you come in for the drop, just as you drop, have your partner pull the lid shut smothering the fire. Is kind of a cool look even if it does take some time to set up.

Keep all of the pics coming...............
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17425.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	562406  
Old 11-18-2006, 12:14 PM
swixtt

ah very nice.

i'm building one as well. the 72" version though. i am using a Saito 100 for power and not planning any kind of dropping mechanism. maybe i should?? before i get too far along in this build. do you think there is room in a 72" version??

what are you planning to use for covering?

Old 11-19-2006, 09:00 AM
SIMCO

I got looking at maybe using flour with food dye for coloring and a small mix of sand or grass seed for the heavier material to come out straiter. SWIXTT man I don'twhat size the interior of the airship is for hopper size. If the 72 is built like the 100 with the gas tank box you could make a false firewall and shove every thing in throttle,gas tank on a traythru the front end. might give more interior room. Cg shift was my big concern,dropping 2lbs off center tends to balloon or pitch down. This is the paint scheme I was going to do . I know it's not a 502 but the general ideas are there.

Name:	Hf10066.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	562952  
Old 11-19-2006, 09:57 AM
macauley

Wow.i'm thrilled ot see this thread is still goin strong!This is at401b i've been away so long i forgot my password hence the new name.Great job guys!

Name:	Hf97640.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	562984   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56710.jpg
Views:	933
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	562985  
Old 11-19-2006, 10:00 AM
swixtt

it sounds as though they are built a little different. not sure there will be room for something like that. the tank extends right through to F3 which is just under the front window. i've got my throttle control just behind that.
i like the colour scheme you found for yours. i've seen those fire bombers before and there is another one up here in canada(see attached) with a rather unique colour scheme that i might do. they are all 802's though...haven't seen many 502 looking any different.
are you going to spray your plane using paint and a clear afterwards?

ORIGINAL: SIMCO

I got looking at maybe using flour with food dye for coloring and a small mix of sand or grass seed for the heavier material to come out straiter. SWIXTT man I don'twhat size the interior of the airship is for hopper size. If the 72 is built like the 100 with the gas tank box you could make a false firewall and shove every thing in throttle,gas tank on a traythru the front end. might give more interior room. Cg shift was my big concern,dropping 2lbs off center tends to balloon or pitch down. This is the paint scheme I was going to do . I know it's not a 502 but the general ideas are there.

Name:	Mk27446.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	562987  
Old 11-19-2006, 10:04 AM
macauley

that looks like an 802 to me
Old 11-19-2006, 11:22 AM
GPutt33

Here is what I did on mine for a slurry hopper. This plane actually started out as a Sig 4 Star 120. I looked at the Full Scale pics on AirTractors web site, and downloaded their 3 view w/dimensions, and started scratch building from there. I was also concerned about a changing CG, so I just kept it all in the middle and low by boxing in a couple of the spaces in the wing. It's actually two separate compartments because of the center ply section connecting the two wings halves, did not want to loose structural strength anywhere. One concern I had was making the doors strong enough and tight enough that it didn't leak any powder when filled, and vibrating due to the engine running. Hard ply doors and some really soft foam weather stripping has done the trick. I can get a total of 2 cups loaded per drop. If anyone is interested, I have a complete build thread of my AirTractor (Sig 4*120) on my little MSN website at [link=http://groups.msn.com/PuttsRCHomePage/]Putt's RC Home Page.[/link] Go to 'Pictures' and the 2nd page of album titles. I guess the only thing about mine is with all of the control horns, hinges, and servo parts, it kind of detracts from any semblance (?) of scale, but when it's sitting on the ground most folks don't notice. About the only change I've made since these pics were taken is I have had TnT build a custom main gear for me and have it installed now.

I wanted to build something originally to honor some of the Slurry Bomber pilots I've known and more I've watched do their magic on a fire line. Truly some awesome pilots. My Hats Off To You Guys As Always, you help keep my backdoor green

Name:	Hf99103.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	563027   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26311.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	563028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67480.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	563029   Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21114.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	563030  
Old 11-19-2006, 01:49 PM
swixtt

great build! i am looking at your MSN site and enjoying all the photos you have of your 802. very cool and great job on it!!

do you have more of the lights you installed on it? did you just put some landing lights on the front?

Old 11-19-2006, 08:17 PM
GPutt33

Hi swixtt - Glad you like the building pics. As far as the lights in the nose, I actually used some hobby stuff of my wifes. They are just small flat little mirrors with the edges beveled. I recessed a place in the wood and then painted the holes black. I then just epoxied the mirrors in. They are about the size of a dime and you can find them at Hobby Lobby I think. Being mirrors they almost always look like their bright and shiny. As far as the wing tip and fuselage strobes, those are just Ram Lights. If anyone is wondering about the nose lights were talking about, I'll post a pic below of them.

swixtt - If your interested, I happened to send a picture of it to MAN magazine, as well as a small video clip of it making a slurry drop, and they happened to post it on their website in the Click Trips. Scroll down to June of 2005. That then takes you to this link at [link=http://www.radiocontrolzone.com/plane/video.asp]Radio Control Zone[/link] site and RC Airplane Videos, it's about the 4th one from the top.

Thanks again for the compliments and hope the pictures give you some ideas.

Name:	Ca82894.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	563359  
Old 11-19-2006, 09:40 PM
outacontrol41
My Feedback: (9)

Hi everyone. Glad to see this thread has come back to life! I ordered a Dick Grahm Piper Pawnee kit from TMRC recently. That's the only large scale cropduster type kit I know of in these great United States. A kit in New Zealand and one in Australia, but what else is there? I'm looking forward to building this one. 108'' wingspan / 18 - 22 lbs! With a G62 in the nose this baby should haul some *****.
Anyone out there already building this kit? www.tmrcsailplanes.com. Go to products then to power planes.
I'm not knocking the planes from overseas...but the shipping cost!! OMG!
Old 11-19-2006, 10:01 PM
Deadeye

ORIGINAL: outacontrol41

That's the only large scale cropduster type kit I know of in these great United States.
Not for long! Duane Habets of Conrad, MT is working on the development of an 802 Air Tractor and a prototype that will utilize the Wren turboprop. These things are going to be HUGE! Of course, I will keep this thread updated as he progresses.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:31 PM
outacontrol41
My Feedback: (9)

Cool!! How HUGE? I like air tractors, too. Will it be an ARF or a standard kit?
Old 11-20-2006, 12:26 AM
Deadeye

Keep in mind this is only big sheets of paper right now. Not only does he have to kick out a few of the 502 kits yet this winter, he has to develop a balsa kit, then fiberglass, then a plug then a mold, etc., don't expect it anytime soon. Duane excels at development, and his kit or ARF (he does the 502 both ways, or RTF) will be worth the wait. The Wren project is still in talks, and there are no plans to produce a kit at this time.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:14 AM
SIMCO

I was going to paint with nelson's since I can spit and hit his office from my house! I don't get too involved with the extras (triple sanding, fill-in mirco balloons and all that stuff. Cajun graphics for markings. A senior r/cer told me" At 50 ft and 50mph you will never see it". I love looking at scale to see the talent,I'd rather be flying. scratching a twinotter while epoxy dries. 6 kits behind

Name:	Ig12421.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	563646  
Old 11-26-2006, 01:48 AM
3 Blade

Hello,
I am new member to RCU but have been keeping a close eye on this thread virtually since it started. When I saw SIMCO's post of the paint scheme he liked, I thought I should join up and show my latest project. It is the 100" Air Tractor from Team Duster. It is nearly complete with only the red to be applied to the cowling, canopy and hopper and a few other minor things. I purchased the plans and short kit from Team Duster and made the engine cowling and under carridge myself. It is built as per the plans with the addition of a working hopper system loaded through the top of the fuse. I found this aircraft easy to build and went together quite quickly although it has taken me all year off and on. Finish is Monokote with painted cowl and canopy etc. Power is from a OS BGX with weight about 17lb dry.

Phil.

Name:	Ca82155.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	566784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz75493.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	566785  
Old 11-29-2006, 01:00 AM
SIMCO

3 blade that's the ticket. hopefully mine will look about half as good.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:35 PM
GPutt33

3 Blade - Great looking SEAT I hope it flys as well as it looks, and would love to see a pic of it dropping a load of slurry
I wish AirTractor had started the AirTanker color scheme before I built mine, I would have done the Std Red and White scheme myself[8D] Would also like to see any build pictures.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:17 PM
Deadeye

ORIGINAL: GPutt33

3 Blade - Great looking SEAT I hope it flys as well as it looks, and would love to see a pic of it dropping a load of slurry
I wish AirTractor had started the AirTanker color scheme before I built mine, I would have done the Std Red and White scheme myself[8D] Would also like to see any build pictures.
You just need to get a hold of my friend Duane. He'll fix you up with one that you can finish that way.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:24 PM
GPutt33

Hi Randy - I've been thinking pretty hard about the big bird. I plan on being up in your neck of the woods next flying year with a van load of planes to see if I can get an invite to fly Might be a good time to have Duane ready to stick a new bird in the back. And then you go an sneak in that comment about a possible Wren Turboprop
Old 11-30-2006, 02:54 AM
3 Blade

Hi SIMCO,
Thanks for the comments, Im sure yours will look just as good.

Hi Greg,
The photo of your duster in M.A.N magazine was what kick started me off in search of a 'Top Dresser' as they are known here in New Zealand. I too hope to get some good shots of it dropping its load, not quite sure what to use yet, was thinking about sawdust because of its light weight.
Unfortunately I didnt take many shots of it under construction, here are a couple I did take.
If anyone wants any detailed pictures of it let me know.
Phil.

Name:	Ki18725.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	569188   Click image for larger version

Name:	At55481.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	569189  
Old 11-30-2006, 10:20 AM
swixtt

3blade... i'd love to see more detailed pics! i'm building the same one but in 72". great looking plane!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.