Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Airfoil for a turbine speed jet

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Airfoil for a turbine speed jet

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 01:06 PM
eulgeneral

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airfoil for a turbine speed jet

Hello,

I'm looking for an airfoil to make a "bandit like" jet. Speed is important but the wing must be strong enough to resist to the high speed stress and the weight of the plane (20-22 lbs approx.)

My aim is to reach at least 200 mph with my 145N turbine. I found airfoils such rg15 or mh33 but they're terrific thin and I don't know if such a wing will be strong enough. I probablhy build this wing with foam covered with balsa and glassed, and stronged with two kevlar/carbon strip (10 cm) on each side.

On another thread, I've seen that the Naca65012 works on speed models, would it work on my project.

The best way would be to have the real "comopsite bandit airfoil" but I didn't find it at all.

Have anyone another suggestion or am I right with the 65012?

Best regards

Yannick
Old 04-09-2007, 05:41 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Airfoil for a turbine speed jet

That's going to be way too thick. The Bandit is a fairly low aspect ratio wing so thickness won't be an issue. As long as you have a good inch of thickness you can use the skins and webs between the skins to produce the strength you need.

As for construction methods look into what the other turbine designs are using and copy them.

For pure speed and non pylon style turns your best bet for the airfoil would be a thin one. Something like a NACA 0007 to 0009 depending on the chord. Or one of the thin RAF airfoils. Or the Selig 8020 reduced in thickness to the same 7 to 9% thickness. If you're planning on a lot of high G pylon turns then one of the airfoils used by the FAI pylon racers or the slope glider racers would be suitable.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:54 AM
eulgeneral

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks,

but what about the landing speed. Do these airfoils accept large flaps to decrease their stall speed (or accross their lift)

Yannick
Old 04-10-2007, 04:37 AM
pimmnz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lift at landing time won't be your problem, what you will need is drag control. Big simple flaps will be needed to balance the thrust of the turbine and slow the model down enough to get it on the strip. Without prop slipstream over the elevators you will find that an all moving tailplane, with lots of movement to control both flap induced pitch change and to provide enough AOA for flare will likely be needed. A good reason for a computer radio with flight mode switching for high speed/low speed conditions.
Evan, WB#12
Old 04-20-2007, 10:48 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just goto bvm's web site and order the balsa bandit wing kit for like 100 bucks or so. this way you have plans, instructions and all