Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 08:09 PM
L8again

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Local hobby shop...There is usually someone around with sound advise. Simulators are a great way to fly without having to repair your mistakes. But as most on here will admit...we were..some still are..newbies! We have flown and we have crashed! Not necessarily, but more often than not..and the super cub is as forgiving as you can get. Most repairs are easy to do. I think anyone thinking of getting , or has just bought a s/c as a way to get started can do...is go back and start reading this from the beginning! There are Mods, Pics, Videos, and some of the best advice you could hope for. You will also find links to other sites, which have more info, and really easy ways to find the mods or find answers, to questions. You've come to the right place Cards15mc!
Old 05-29-2007, 09:22 PM
Charlie2

cards15mc
Your first tip-----No wind,No wind,NOOOOOOwind! After that, have fun.
Chuck
Old 05-29-2007, 09:43 PM
Mr. Mugen

Welcome to RCU fellas......and the cub forum. Tons of info in these gazillion posts.........also check here for info on the Super Cub... http://supercubclub.proboards78.com/index.cgi
Old 05-30-2007, 04:12 PM
Team Fine Design

Here is a funny one.I lost the elevator servo in a crash (one of many) I was flying and the tail feathers looked to have just folded up as i was climbing but when I retrived the palne out of the corn feild there was no evidence of what I thought I saw.Any ways one evening I had to have my fix so I set the elevator at a couple of degrees of posative and threw her into the sky.I use power to climb and throttle down to descend.Heck at full throttle it just loops and loops.I use a 300 dollsr Shultze charger and the battery gets lotsa juice.I guess those days are comming to a close as I just won an auction for a new Cub witha dead transmitter.What a neat way to get replacement parts.Hey great thread with lots of imfo.I have eveything I need to install a NORMAL radio and servos in the new fuse.And will then have parts left over to repair SC #1.Hey has anyone done a mod that would replace those ugly rubber bands.And they just kill the wing.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:56 PM
Team Fine Design

By the way.Another parts plane up for grabs.Mine just hada bad transmitter.This one has a cracked fuse and cracked cowell.
Just type in super cub and click toys and hobbies and it will pop up.Seems like the seller starts a new auction after the last one sells.this one has about 3 hrs left.Last winning bid was around 90 bucks.Good luck.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:00 PM
KenEJones

Hey Guys -- I'm trying out the acrobatic properties of my (second) SC and I was surprised to see that the plane can be flown inverted, if only for a short time. My first recovery from inverted flight entailed a straight nose-down rapid descent with a full-up command that resulted the the plane whipping out of the descent about 20 feet above the ground. On successive recoveries, I have cut the throttle and recoveries are now less hairy.

Today I don't know what happened. I started the inverted flight with the wings not being level and the plane tried to fly what I guess is a knife edge maneuver. Whatever I did with the radio then cause the plane to do an ESTREMELY tight loop, if it could be called that. The plane practically chased its tail with I would dexcribe as a loop with a three or four foot diameter. No cracking of the wings since I'd reinforced them from the start. I've given full up commands many times before but never saw anything like that.

Has anyone had a similar experience? If so, what caused it?
Old 05-30-2007, 06:01 PM
L8again

Check your servos!! They may have popped up!!
Old 05-30-2007, 06:04 PM
Charlie2

Ken,
What hole do you have your pushrod in? I've been getting some decent loops etc., but they're not real tight.
Chuck
Old 05-30-2007, 07:02 PM
KenEJones

I'm still flying with the control rods in the outermost holes. I've seen the SC do quick turns, etc. on the cd that comes with the model -- but I'm sure that I was must faster than those on the cd.

What is the best maneuver for recovering from inverted flight in the SC? Presently I'm first getting lots of altitude, then to initiate recovery, I'm turning off the throttle and giving full up on the elevators. (and hoping)
Old 05-30-2007, 08:05 PM
L8again

ORIGINAL: KenEJones

I'm still flying with the control rods in the outermost holes. I've seen the SC do quick turns, etc. on the cd that comes with the model -- but I'm sure that I was must faster than those on the cd.

What is the best maneuver for recovering from inverted flight in the SC? Presently I'm first getting lots of altitude, then to initiate recovery, I'm turning off the throttle and giving full up on the elevators. (and hoping)
I'm no authority..but would adding throttle not power you out of it quicker?
Old 05-30-2007, 09:48 PM
tclaridge

The best way I have found to do aerobatics with the SC is to land as soon as possible, and grab the Typhoon! ha ha.

Anyway, I moved the control clevis from the outermost hole to the second outer-most hole for more authority. Also, I fly with a 3S Lipo (removing J3 first) for the extra power. I can now fly inverted by doing a half-loop, and "pushing" the stick forward at the top. No diving (crashing) required. Recover with a half-snap roll, or pull out to finish the bottom half of the loop. This is all possible with the extra power and control authority. Otherwise, inverted flight is too hard and you "fall" out into a side slip half the time. This can lead to a very abrupt loop once the wing "grabs" the air coming out of a slip.

But seriously, a flat bottom wing and no rudder makes aerobatics very difficult. But you can still do things like loops, snap rolls, and hammer heads, spiral dives, and inverted flight. Just remember to manage your throttle so you don't rip your wings off!
Old 05-30-2007, 10:06 PM
Mr. Mugen

Another hooked lipo/sc user. It is the best upgrade from stock you can do. Simply put in a 3s lipo and enjoy. Once one does it they never want to go back to the heavy gutless 7 cells. Although there are those days where you want to sit in the lawn chair and fly.......7 cells are good for this.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:42 AM
braaivleis2003

I have a seven cell and 8 cell. When using the 7 cell loops arent a proplem for the 1st 1/2 of the flight but then i fly it scale using 3/4 of the throttle for the 2nd half of the flight.Flying with the eight cell, i am then confident in myself to fly this plane inverted.Or should i say confident in the batteries power as well. The other day i flew the cub inverted when i got to the top of my loop for at least i would say 30 to 40 metres or so.Still keeping the power up with up elavator to finish up level again. I was more than chuffed with myself .I always make sure that i have plenty of height whilst attempting an inverted. Make sure that you have more than enough altitude. There is nothing worse than attempting a manouver like this when you are no high enough.I also make sure that my plane is level when going into inverted flight . If you are at an angle and try come out of the inverted it could lead into a spin, which has happened to me.

Anyway, Happy landings.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48278.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	694763  
Old 05-31-2007, 07:03 AM
JoeFly43

A friend just bought the HZ SC. We can not get the &$%@# CD DVD to play on my puter, it just locks up.... it wont play on his DVD either. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions? (P.S. I followed the instructions)
Old 05-31-2007, 08:02 AM
KenEJones

Regarding this loop/recovery thing -- I'm using an eight cell battery, the wheels and struts are removed, and the plane weighs more than usual due to a covering, a paint job that I did on a whim, and an additional four ounces of weight in the nose to get the cg right again. You all are right, the power is marginal for inverted flight and keeping control is tricky. Also, sometimes with the elevator in a full down position, the plane will fall off and stabilize in a fast, very steep and inverted dive. That "abrupt loop" on the pullout is what I must have seen yesterday. (My description should have said a three or four foot "radius" not diameter. Still that may be an exaggeration, but it was the tightest loop that I've ever seen the plane do.)

In continuing to follow good advice proffered on these threads, I am going to refrain from any but mild acrobatics with my SC so that I can complete installing and flying it with floats, and my FS One simulator is on its way according to HZ email. I have two ARF kits with ailerons and will take up acrobatics on the simulator then with the other models.

Thanks for the help.

Ken
Old 05-31-2007, 10:57 AM
skunkworks2006

It is possible when the conditions are right for the SC to "toilet bowl" very tightly. If you can induce a stall by doing a tight banked loop and then give rudder input to nose the plane up with down elevator too and cut the throttle. Then at almost a nose up stall into the wind, give full throttle and up elevator. The wings will be mostly stalled and the air deflection can spin the tail quicker than at full speed. It's easier than it sounds and will produce an interesting and tight toilet bowl. I'm sure that the lipo would produce this effect even better than the 8-cell I'm using. Just be sure to have lots of altitude before trying.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:14 PM
skunkworks2006

I went out this morning to fly in the calm air (5mph) and tried a new trick. You will remember these little snaps from when you were a kid, or when your kids were kids at least. You throw them on the ground or against something hard and they explode with a SNAP!

The paper/cardboard is just a piece I had in the car. I'm sure with a little effort it could look a lot nicer. I bet a Starbucks lid filled would make an exciting sound as they all hit. It's fun to carpet bomb the parking lot. Just be sure to be over the pavement and allow for a bit of drift from the wind. They are not very heavy. I had to restrain myself from bombing the construction workers near by I'm sure it wouldn't damage anything as you can pop these things in your hand, and they don't explode if they hit something soft, like another person.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:16 PM
darticus

COOL![b][/b]
Old 05-31-2007, 04:07 PM
cjg

ORIGINAL: JoeFly43

A friend just bought the HZ SC. We can not get the &$%@# CD DVD to play on my puter, it just locks up.... it wont play on his DVD either. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions? (P.S. I followed the instructions)
Mine used some new form of technology, my old DVD player wouldn't show it, my new one would. Make sure your software and driver for the dvd player in your computer is up to date.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:59 PM
Cards15mc

I have a question unrelated to the SC. At Hobbyzone.com it had the StrykerB as intermediate and the StrykerC as advanced. Is there a difference if so what is it?
Old 05-31-2007, 06:45 PM
Mr. Mugen

The B is brushed and the C is brushless and rocks!
Old 05-31-2007, 08:35 PM
L8again

Just thought I'd throw this out here! Decided to check out the local flying fields..and came upon a local flying club. Ok guys!!! This is what we have to look forward to if you " really " get hooked!! I hope this link will work..and remember..is Canadian, so the rules and regs may be quite different![link]http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Meteor/1033/index.html[/link]
Old 05-31-2007, 08:38 PM
L8again

Will only get you to the home page..then hit learning to fly..and MAAC WINGS PROGRAM..will need adobe reader!
Old 06-01-2007, 08:27 AM
field flyer

I just build some GWS floats for my super cub and want to give a report. The two halfs of the floats were very difficult to glue together. I tried the hot glue gun as suggested but it just melted the foam. I decided to use 5 minute epoxy and it's holding very well. I extended the width of the floats using the 2-56 12" rods and supplied straight rods. After attaching the floats to my plane I checked COG. It was 2.0" and now it appears to be 2.5" (can't tell if this will be a problem). I put the float step 1/2" behind the COG. This was a very tedious project, but fun. Finally once I finished, off to the field (pond). The plane float very well on water so I gave it full throttle. I took off skimming across the water (using a 8-cell 1200mAh Ni-MH)...the nose of the floats were just above the water level. I pulled back on the stick and it took a bit to break the surface tension of the water. It FINALLY got in air but seemed VERY VERY heavy. I was not able to get 5 feet of the ground and finally crashed. No real damage. I put it back together and got a fresh 8-cell battery. This time it finally got in the air but it took a long time and still seemed VERY heavy. I had a successful second flight but am fustrated with the cub performance with floats.

Are there others flying with floats using the NI-MH batteries?
Do I need to switch to 3-cell lipo?

I attached a few pictures. Does the set up look correct?
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23088.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	695355   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42534.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	695356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22861.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	695357   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn32570.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	695358  
Old 06-01-2007, 10:14 AM
Bigtone

I fly my Sc float plane with 7,8,9 cell NI-MH. The key is the float balance and mount location. If it sticks to the water to long, the floats should be moved back. The tip of the floats should cut the water not push it. I will add more later http://supercubclub.proboards78.com/...ead=1169958565

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.