Notices

86" Progress Reports

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 11:32 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 86" Progress Reports

ORIGINAL: octanehuffer

What is a cowl binder? The ail servo looks right but when the pic was taken was the aileron neutral? I see the servo horn is not 90 degrees. Regardless, I see no problems with the pushrod angle.
Adam
Except with the pushrod not being at right angles to the hinge and the servo arm not being at right angles to the servo you have introduced differential to the movement, greater arc one side than the other, if the other aileron set up is the same you may have to mix out the differential in the TX, but if you are the same standard of flyer that I am you will not notice the difference. LOL see if you get axial rolls if not then the differential needs adjusting.

Mike
Old 11-16-2007, 01:43 PM
w4sm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best method to use would be to tape a piece of paper to the fuse and make sure the paper is big enough to cover the item you want t cut out. Then cut out the area of the paper and then slide the cowl under the paper. Trace the outline to the cowl and remove the paper. I will post some pics of the process.
Adam
I use that technique to line up the cowl mounting holes just as you have shown, but I was hoping someone would have drawn and saved a template for the DA-50R cutouts and the associated cooling cutouts on the bottom of the cowl. The template would be taped to the bottom of the cowl and used to Dremel out the openings. The cutouts shown at the very beginning of this thread from several years ago (by Plasticman as I recall), are particularly nice.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:16 PM
cyoung450
My Feedback: (60)

On the aileron linkage, the angle is fine it is that way because of the large control arm on the servo, as it travels you will see that it does not bind and the angles are correct. I was impressed with this myself because someone thought it through in the design, I have had it look the other way on some other planes of mine and it does not seem to be as linear as the QQ. I have had no differential problems at all, this thing rolls like it is on a rail.

Just my two cents though,

Conrad
Old 11-16-2007, 09:19 PM
octanehuffer

Yup. Mine too. I actually did the pattern set up test and the was no differential what so ever.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:20 PM
w4sm

Is it necessary to make the cutouts in the bottom covering around the cannister muffler on the 86" for cooling? Most (but not all) of the photos seem to show this, although I haven't found it described in the assembly manual (unless I missed it). It's easy enough to do, but does any of the exhaust residue then find its way inside this area? If so then some fuel proofing may be required. Thanks.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:30 PM
Rezagh
My Feedback: (73)

Off topic question guys,

Can someone give me the exact measurement for the 86" length with or without spinner is fine. I actually prefer w/o spinner. I am not home to measure myself and would like to provide someone who wants to know whether this fits in his car or not. I am kinda sure it will fit in a Toyota Matrix but measurement would be great.

Thanks guys,
Reza
Old 11-21-2007, 04:08 PM
EMVIN

76" without the spinner.

....EMVIN....
Old 11-21-2007, 04:10 PM
ultimate65
My Feedback: (116)

Thanks very much
Old 12-20-2007, 09:16 AM
cyoung450
My Feedback: (60)

Well I have put this plane in 3 times, broke motor box and landing gear all three times, this plane flies great but is a bit on the fragile side IMHO. Anyway LOVE THE PLANE best flying plane I have ever owned.

Just wanted to let everyone know that BAD BRAD Graphics is doing a graphics kit now, just finished putting mine on. I have the big logos for the wings and sides that I have not applied yet but here are some pics of the current setup. This is the second fuse, that has been repaired once....

Brad's website is http://www.badbradgraphics.com he is a real good guy and will do custom stuff, and he has the best prices around.

Keep it low.....

Conrad
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32374.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	829917   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97359.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	829918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59806.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	829919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf94586.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	829920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju14019.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	829921  
Old 12-27-2007, 10:34 PM
zope_pope

Thats really good looking. My yak looks so plain!
Old 12-28-2007, 03:24 AM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is a cowl binder? The ail servo looks right but when the pic was taken was the aileron neutral? I see the servo horn is not 90 degrees. Regardless, I see no problems with the pushrod angle.
Adam
Octanehuffer & Bald Eagle - Thanks for the answer's on the pushrod angle, aileron, etc. I set this up exactly like the instructions on the 86". JR8611A servos, AirWild arms, control horn mounted as called for. This is how the angle came in. I believe without looking out in the shop right now, full aileron deflection would put the pushrod at 90 degrees to the surface?
The Yak is back on the workbench after involving myself in some senior pattern planes, etc. I am setting up the rudder servo and cables now. I asked for and they sent me a new aluminum gear.
Vince
Hobe Sound, FL
Old 02-28-2009, 07:29 PM
tailspins
My Feedback: (7)

is this thread dead?

I was enjoying it and learning alot of information.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:37 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old threads never die they just fade away.

Mike
Old 02-28-2009, 09:19 PM
tailspins
My Feedback: (7)

Mke,

I am just finishing up my Yak 86er. I really like the yak series and thought this would be a great project for getting back into gas after about 5 years of doing glow and electric. I really do miss the sound of a gas engine and I was trying to scale back on the size of planes and so on.

I am just waiting for the power box to come and all will be finished. Who knows what the weather will bring in South East Iowa so I might get a chance to get in a flight soon.

I had the same gear issue with the paint chipping on my QQ 73 inch Yak and when I talked to QQ he sounded like my gear was the only one with this problem. After reading this thread I find that this happened to alot of people. If it fails I wll get a replacement from TNT gear.

Thanks for posting!

John
AMA 1121
Old 03-01-2009, 05:09 AM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went to the QQ Aircraft site yesterday, sez they are out of business from the original start-up, etc. All remaining kits, etc., have been taken over by Chief Aircraft.

I think too much competition from other company's, some folks out of work, makes a strong money crunch. Usually if someone want's to make a living from a hobby or sport, where disposable income is used at the end user, buyer level, they better have sales and money, plenty of it.

QQ Aircraft put our a very nice product, but as soon as you have something good, it get's copied, over and over again, by folk's thinking they can do it too. It would be nice to see these guy's surface again, they were first class.

Crank