Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Warship Combat
Reload this Page >

Onboard turret cam.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warship Combat Discuss all aspects of R/C Warship Combat here!

Onboard turret cam.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 08:09 PM
subhunter13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Onboard turret cam.

What If you had an on board turret cam(in a secure bearing proof casing of course)
so you can see better and shoot more accuratly . Have anyone of you done this?
You could put it it the crows nest or bridge.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:09 PM
johnmCA72

Default RE: Onboard turret cam.

ORIGINAL: subhunter13

What If you had an on board turret cam(in a secure bearing proof casing of course)
so you can see better and shoot more accuratly . Have anyone of you done this?
You could put it it the crows nest or bridge.
I rigged one up in my HMS Hood, to rotate along with the forward turrets. The position was about where the forward fire control tower normally goes (superstructure removed to accomodate camera). I didn't use it for aiming, & wouldn't do so. For one thing, while I'm concentrating on my video, it's going to be awfully easy to run the ship into something because I'm not paying attention to navigation. Second, most clubs don't allow video targeting. I rigged mine just to get some cool videos, nothing more.

JM
Old 06-11-2007, 09:37 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Cliff Shaw tried it one year at Sutherlin, Oregon for nationals.
He let everyone have a turn running the boat, and target shooting. Cliff ran it during the battles. The consesus was that it was a gorgeous view, but it wasn't advantageous. And as John mentioned, you risk running the ship into something while you are "video targeting".

Watching Cliff run the boat, he would target, shoot,... shoot, shoot,... and then look over his video goggles to see where the boat was, steer the boat, set his course and target, then go back to the video.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:11 PM
subhunter13

Personaly, I also want to see from an RC subs periscope a hole in the bottom of a
ship and watch it sink. I've seen pics of people doing that.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:54 PM
kotori

I made a video from a wireless camera on top of the turret of my Scharnhorst. I just battled regularly, and had somebody else take care of recording. Unfortunately, the club CO2 tank had not been refilled recently and ran out just before I could refill my bottle. Once the battle started, I fired one test shot, then ran out of gas. One of my two bilge pumps produced so much electrical noise that I disabled it so it wouldn't interfere with the video. As a result, I took a horrible pounding and was unable to return the favor. Sure made for an interesting video, though. Most of the time the camera was looking too low, but I eventually took on a list. At one minute into the video, the camera rotates to the high side, and you can see several ships at a distance. At about 35 seconds you can see Commander Walwyn as a blue blob just aft of the B turret on HMS Warspite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpNEeYe1asY

You might enjoy some photos I took while wreck-diving in Balsa Bottom Sound:

http://www.westernwarshipcombat.com/...y/Sunken-Ships
Old 06-12-2007, 09:32 PM
johnmCA72

There were 2 shots that I really wanted to get:

- A sink from the "sinkee's" perspective. I think that would look pretty cool, to see the decks go awash, turrets disappear, the horizon tilt, then water rush over the view.

- I'd also like to get a shot from inside. Start out dark (or maybe illuminated somewhat by IR?), see holes get punched, maybe some good splinters/bearings flying around, admitting more daylight. See the rising water, then go dark again.

Sadly, my onshore 12V VCR bit the dust before I could get more than a few test shots.

JM
Old 06-13-2007, 08:39 PM
subhunter13

Hey Kotori,

YOUR VIDEOS WERE AWSOME!!!![8D]
Too bad I don't live in CA. Your club is cool.[8D]
Hey... Doesn't a good captian go down with his ship? [sm=drowning.gif]
Old 05-12-2008, 10:40 PM
Graft Zeppelin

what you can do is have a eye peace like they have on those toy spy tanks you look for your boat in one eye then in the other you see your targating cam

would be interesting to see
Old 05-13-2008, 06:23 AM
markswihart

or crew your ship, have the camera turret opperated by a gunner while you (the capt.) runs the ship normally with the other guns not linked to the camera[8D]
Old 05-13-2008, 12:05 PM
kotori

I got a pair of Face Mounted Displays for the rc spy tanks. I lent one to a club member with a wireless camera, and he reported that it was not suitable. The wireless receiver needs to be tuned to match the transmitter, which occasionally drifts out of tune. When that happens, he reported that the FMD took a while to come back in focus, even if the RX had been correctly tuned again. It may work for a shore battery with a wired camera, but it is not useful for a ship. Instead, I have used it as a view finder for my video camera when filming close to the water's edge. It is much more comfortable and safer to sit near the water's edge and hold on to the camera than to lie down at the edge of shore with your eye against the built in viewfinder. In that regard, it works very well.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:48 PM
HoaRC

try a laser pointer so you can see where the barrel is aimed at..
Old 05-14-2008, 08:30 AM
johnmCA72

ORIGINAL: HoaRC

try a laser pointer so you can see where the barrel is aimed at..
I'm not sure many clubs would allow that. But if they do, remember, somebody else could use one to target you, too! Be careful what you wish for.

Also, most laser pointers aren't very easy to see in bright daylight. Finally, it's got to be able to survive being sunk.

JM
Old 06-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Graft Zeppelin

I agree laser pointers wont work. going back to using the Wirelless system wit sore instilations. we have one. we hid the camera where the view finder is located, next we hooked it up to a small computure mounted behind the blast sheild, next the signall is reverted on shore by wireless router. it works well, except once in a while some hits the camera and messes up the calibration
Old 06-04-2008, 07:23 AM
RiverRaider

Hello,

I have lasers on my 1/72 USS Shaw. The are worthless during daylight but for dawn, dusk or night
combat they are great. I sealed mine and do not have trouble with water hurting them but I have
had 4 destroyed by ball bearings. The are great defense also if you are out of ammo. Putting that
red dot on someones hull has made some people break off the attack.

RiverRaider
Old 06-06-2008, 09:23 PM
beer=food
Banned

What you guys really need is tomohawk mini cruize missiles ! LOL ! Whhoooosshhhhhh boooooooooooooooooooooooom ! Hell my F A 18 hornet is classed as a guided missile in australia, so whats the difference. !!!!!!!!
Old 06-07-2008, 08:45 PM
kotori

A six foot model battleship with triple cannons is considered a concealed assault weapon in Australia, and the AusBG had to work closely with several lawmakers to get their hobby legal. Have you seen their [link=http://www.ausbg.org/]website[/link]?