Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

What's The Most You'll Spend...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Longhair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's The Most You'll Spend...

I was reading a comment in a different thread about how someone couldn't see spending $1,000 to $10,000 on a single watch and it got me thinking.

So this doesn't get out of control there will be a couple simple ground rules:
[ul][*] This based on your own income budget - not Bill Gates [:@] If you have to save for 10 years to afford it, that is acceptable.[*] Full description so others know exactly what it is you are talking about - Pictures saves a lot of typing but include name, model number, etc.[*] It must be able to be purchased at time of posting.
[/ul]
Old 10-03-2008, 03:47 PM
RS4rallydriver

Default RE: What's The Most You'll Spend...

me, personally i think $30 is about right on a watch, but thats only because i kill all the watches i have ever had. i have to assume ill be replacing it within a couple months. they tend to fall off from roughhousing, failure from impact, straps break, faces shatter or get all scratched up and stuff... so i dont see myself having an expensive and delicate watch around my wrist. i like the one i have now. (unknown J-tech digital which someone else gave me) its survived alot and hasnt given up yet

id rather spend $1,000 on an FG truck, but then, theres ppl who couldnt see that too hehehe. to each their own i guess =3
Old 10-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Mr. Mugen

30 bucks, so what if the time it keeps gets one second off in a year.....
Old 10-03-2008, 04:44 PM
JB COMP

<$30 As long as it keeps time and doesn't look stupid, I'm down with it.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:45 PM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found a Armitron digital watch in the locker room my freashman year and I haven't taken it off since last year. Literally, I have a "tan line" where my watch is. I love it for some reason.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Longhair

This isn't strictly watches - I should have said that in the original post...

It could be anything from a cheeseburger to a car and everything in between.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:10 PM
Krazy Chicken

on my truck, maby 20k not including tires, maintenance, gas, insurance, and car payment
Old 10-03-2008, 05:12 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Several years ago, I spent $500.00 for a specific Movado (square instead of round) when it came out at a jewelry trade show for a watch that retailed for 2x that or $1,000.00. Most of the watches I saw were marked up between 2x-4x at retail. This also included brands such as Rolex. Most Rolex's I've seen don't keep all that great of time and are more of a status symbol than anything else. Before anyone writes anything, the watches at the trade show also weren't "knock offs" but the real thing since the trade show is where retailers go to purchase the jewelry before they sell them at retail price. The bottom line is when it comes to purchasing another watch, I'm going to hit the trade show again. I've also made a few decent deals at other trade shows as well, including camera equipment and R/Cs. Lately, I've received price quotes on a 2009 Lincoln MKS at manufacturer "employee" cost.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:24 PM
JB COMP

$450 for a new pro kit truggy and $400 for a new pro kit buggy [8D]
Old 10-03-2008, 07:53 PM
sheograth

I wouldn't spend more than $200 on a watch, I just keep one that looks simple and elegant and is nicely made. I'm not a massive watch fan or anything. I'd sooner splurge on many other things.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:56 PM
RCtruckRacer

$40 for a race entry fee - unless it's for charity. I've seen too many races advertised recently that were higher than that. In fact, I'd like to see them for much less. Club races should be $10-$15 max, or else you are pricing the race out of peoples reach. Seems the trend is to charge more and more, while offering things like free food and door prizes. We should get back to basics, cut costs as much as possible, and then share that lower cost with the racer. JMO.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:07 PM
sheograth

Wait maybe I don't get this thread... I thought we were talking about watches :P
Old 10-03-2008, 09:37 PM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spend hundreds on shoes and bike parts. I find it a better way to waste money compared to RC.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:38 PM
04DarkShadowGT

I just spend about 9K on a 250hp supercharged jet ski. I also have a supercharged mustang that I have about 20K into, not including the 2500 I am spending this week to get the trans built. Yikes I need to get back to work and make some money.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:50 AM
Doonagoowin

ORIGINAL: RCtruckRacer

$40 for a race entry fee - unless it's for charity. I've seen too many races advertised recently that were higher than that. In fact, I'd like to see them for much less. Club races should be $10-$15 max, or else you are pricing the race out of peoples reach. Seems the trend is to charge more and more, while offering things like free food and door prizes. We should get back to basics, cut costs as much as possible, and then share that lower cost with the racer. JMO.

Wow are those local races? Seems you're getting ripped off! O_o
Here in Utah, the local races are about $10 for the first class, then an extra $5 for every other class you race in.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:38 AM
Longhair

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Wait maybe I don't get this thread... I thought we were talking about watches :P
You could if you want. It's just that watches gave me the idea for the thread but I thought it would be interesting to see other things also.

I wouldn't spend more than $2500 on a computer. For that price it better keep up about 10 years before needing a new one.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:37 AM
RS4rallydriver

well dude, with computers i dont think any amount of money spent could keep it top of the line for ten years. i mean, ten years ago someone could have spent all they wanted on a pc, and what would it be now? when everyones desktop has 8gb of ram, 10ghz processors and graphics cards that can do things nobody even needed them to do ten years ago?? mines is 5 yrs old and if i mention its stats on a game forum i will probably make someone laugh. its funny really.

that said, i would build my own pc, and try not to spend over $900 on it.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:54 AM
DaveG55

For me most things don't need to be top-of-the-line. I do like quality stuff but find that usually the very cutting edge stuff has more than I need or exceeds my ability to make full use of the capabilities that the very best can do. Having said that I have splurged on tip top stuff twice. Once was for my wife. I literally saved for 10 years to buy her a new wedding ring for her (our) 20th aniversery. I spent just short of $20k on a 2 carrot ring in a platinum setting for her. The other thing I bought that I considered a splurge was a set of Ping golf clubs for me. They were $1100 for 9 clubs - and no, they did not help my game at all.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:31 AM
Xtfreak

I was reading a comment in a different thread about how someone couldn't see spending $1,000 to $10,000 on a single watch and it got me thinking.
I would only spend about $30 on a watch Well I guess different people have different tastes. My one friend spends thousands on "magic" card and tricks. As for me if I will spend about $500 on RC stuff and another $500 on bike parts.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Anomie

I agree with Dave for the most part, and I have also splurged on a few things that are important to me. Watches are one, but I have not spent more than $2500 in one shot. I would, however, spend much more if my lifestyle allowed. Cookware, towels, parts and materials for my endless crawler build, and audio equipment are some things I have spent enormous (to me) cash on.

Usually something that is top-notch will be unnecessary and beyond my needs.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Longhair

ORIGINAL: RS4rallydriver

well dude, with computers i dont think any amount of money spent could keep it top of the line for ten years. i mean, ten years ago someone could have spent all they wanted on a pc, and what would it be now? when everyones desktop has 8gb of ram, 10ghz processors and graphics cards that can do things nobody even needed them to do ten years ago?? mines is 5 yrs old and if i mention its stats on a game forum i will probably make someone laugh. its funny really.

that said, i would build my own pc, and try not to spend over $900 on it.
I never said I wanted to have my computer top of the line for 10 years. That wouldn't even be possible for 10 days.

My current computer about 7 years ago and it still keeps up with all my needs today - just a little slower - all for under $1000
Old 10-04-2008, 12:45 PM
sheograth

I just blew $2500 on an R/C boat, hopefully that's the highest I'm willing to go lo.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:36 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I like nice watches, but can't see spending more than about $350-$400 on one. I have an Aviator's chronograph Seiko, but only because I like the looks of it. The dang ring dial is too small for me to read. I have an old (bought it in 1975) Casio digital watch that I paid maybe $30 for back then, is on its 4th battery, keeps better time than the Seiko.

But I paid $13.5K for my lawn mower. I mow four yards regularly, plus our flying field occasionally, plus some extra $$$ yards now and again, so I wanted one that would probably outlast me.

When I buy anything, I usually go several steps up from the bottom end, and go with known reliability. Usually you get what you pay for.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:56 PM
dsales

I spent £600 on a watch last year but im sure it will outlive me
Old 10-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Mr. Mugen

Fishing equipment can get spendy. I spent around 4500.00 on salmon rods and reels to outfit my boat and another 2500.00 in tackle and rigging. Not to mention the endless tackle shop purchases since. Probably spent around 3000.00 getting the muskie rods situated to my liking and another 2500.00 on lures and such. So I guess there is no limit in this case. When you love something so much spending money on it is like buying happiness.....sort of. This does not even come close to the money invested in walleye, bass, crappie, bluegill, perch, northern pike, catfish, etc.... lures and rods. The most I have spent in one shot on fishing was about 25,000 for one of the boats. Probably the most I will spend on it for a while.

Kevin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.