Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 02:00 PM
meanstreak1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Where is the best place to get HPI parts? I know of a couple of online dealers that carry dribs and drabs but if I have to end up getting some the items from HPI, then the savings seems to diminsh by paying multiple shipment charges. I know the Ultimate Hobbies and Tower Hobbies have some things but I'm wondering if anyone else has a farily comprehensive inventory.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: meanstreak1

Where is the best place to get HPI parts? I know of a couple of online dealers that carry dribs and drabs but if I have to end up getting some the items from HPI, then the savings seems to diminsh by paying multiple shipment charges. I know the Ultimate Hobbies and Tower Hobbies have some things but I'm wondering if anyone else has a farily comprehensive inventory.
What about the LHS? You could call them to ask before you go down.

Thanks meanstreak!

Old 11-10-2008, 02:38 PM
meanstreak1

ORIGINAL: Always Dreamin

What about the LHS? You could call them to ask before you go down.

Thanks meanstreak!

Though they sell HPI they usually don't stock too much HPI stuff.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:56 PM
BrokeMillMtn

ORIGINAL: Always Dreamin

I just read through about half of this thread, very hard on the eyes. Lots of stuff to read. I noticed most of you guys really like it. I did notice a couple of problems, for one the differential leaking out, and two the drive cups that are connected to the differential wearing out. Any other complaints I should know about? I read the first half, not the last half FYI. Right now I have the Stampede, it's pretty tough. I can land from 15 ft in the air on concrete, only thing broken was the ESC popped off the mounting plate. I have done around 20 ft (distance) in grass, and it's fine with that. Usually I don't get a ton of air, but I go far. Maybe around 15 ft of air, and 25 ft max distance. I never usually break my truck unless I run into something, and I really want something new. I love my Stampede to death, but I just want something a little more agile, something that is higher quality, with better quality parts. I think that for Christmas I will get the Firestorm. Now It's just a matter of either a E-firestorm with a Sidewinder/Mamba/VXL or just buying the Flux. I really like the black wheels that come stock on the regular E-firestorm, and I like the body better. Plus, I like being able to run the truck stock. So, that's my debate. I also have to debate how fast the truck will be with the setup I want. I really want a Sidewinder 5700 (Flux) on 2s. I think that will be a very good setup, and I could get some really high Mah batteries. But then again a 4600 on 3s would scoot, but might run a bit hot. Please feel free to let me know what you guys think I should do. Also, how fast the Flux will be on 2s, and any other problems I should know about.

If you get the Flux I would suggest getting drilling holes in the chassis on both sides of the ESC and getting some bailing wire to strap it down. I went through 2 ESC flying off on big impacts.

The output cups really suck on this thing, I have to replace mine like every 2 hours of use. I run a 2S lipo and I figure the truck is going about 35 or 40 MPH.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:26 PM
BrokeMillMtn

Ok I've got an idea, please let me know what you guys thing. Since the Diff Cups suck so much on the Firestorm I went in search of some alternatives and what I found was the diff cups from the Brama (PN 88001) they look similar to the cups on the Firestorm and/but they don’t have a notch for the C-clip on the inside. I looked through the Brama manual and it looks like they're kept in place using only magic. If I use these in the Flux without clips do you think I could just pop them in and out without disassembling the transmission/diff?

http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/86871/
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTND5&P=FR
Old 11-13-2008, 02:38 PM
bigmd74

why dont you just buy the cvd's for th firestorm?
Old 11-13-2008, 02:43 PM
BrokeMillMtn

Because they still don't address the diff cups getting worn out....... Or do they?
Old 11-17-2008, 01:14 AM
party_wagon

All diff cups will get worn out under enough use. Just buy some new ones when you need to. I put a body from an rt-4 gp and the cvds & hubs from it as well onto my firestorm.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:30 AM
drewpyfz6

Hi,
Just thought I would subscribe to this thread - have just got the E-Firestorm.
Its so smooth - and does wheelies really easy... [X(]

Was backing it up in the front room, making sure everything works and applied a hand full of forward - and the front wheels came off the ground about 3 inches.

Very impressed.
Drew
Old 11-17-2008, 04:59 PM
BrokeMillMtn

ORIGINAL: party_wagon

.......Just buy some new ones when you need to....

Easier said than done. I need to replace mine after about every 3 hours of use (one day at the track) and it takes like an hour to replace them. I suggested the other ones because I thought I could pop them in and out without having to disassemble the entire gearbox
Old 11-18-2008, 04:41 AM
DARKWAV

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: BrokeMillMtn

ORIGINAL: party_wagon

.......Just buy some new ones when you need to....

Easier said than done. I need to replace mine after about every 3 hours of use (one day at the track) and it takes like an hour to replace them. I suggested the other ones because I thought I could pop them in and out without having to disassemble the entire gearbox

2 hours, 3 hours? what are you guys kidding me? Thats like 4-6 runs on a 2S 5000 mAh LiPo. Does the dogbone just wear it through and it falls out or does it fracture? I've had mine since the truck first hit the shelves and have yet to replace a set of output cups. Y'all just may be bashing way harder than me Actually Broke, if you were the one that posted a few vids of you and your buddy busting things up than yeah, you do bash way harder than me!

Now I suppose it you need perfect engagement for race day then OK, but the casual user can get by with a lot of slop.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:58 AM
DARKWAV

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: VVRC

Is this the best price on these bumpers? http://cgi.ebay.com/RC-Bumper-SET-HP...d=p3286.c0.m14

Personnally I think the front bumper is ugly but I guess it is better to protect the car

Ugly...I think so too. Of course, a back bumper may help protect the motor better...for those of us who still can't get that darn jumping thing down yet (VVRC looks in mirror)
Another vote for ugly! However these protect the truck like nobody's business. Recently I cartwheeled big time, but it was more funny to watch because of the way it sort of just wheeled around and you could tell nothing was really getting hurt. By that time though I did finally have a metal gear servo as well which prevented the front tires from flopping around and potentially hurting a steering component.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:00 AM
drewpyfz6

Hi
Having only just got my E Firestorm, I have a question I hope someone here can answer.

I did not get a battery with the vehicle, as I already have some 7.2 packs.

What I have noticed is, the 1500, 1800 packs seem to really reduce the power available.
When I use a 2500 its slightly better, but when I use a 4500, it absolutely flies.

Is there any reason for this?
Just thought they would all supply the same power, just different run times?

Cheers,
Drew
Old 11-18-2008, 02:39 PM
Enzyme80

The mah really has nothing to do with how powerful the battery is, it is just how long they will last.

I am guessing that you just have better quality packs in the 2500 and 4500 mah packs. Better battery packs will make a huge difference in terms of power and speed.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:16 PM
drewpyfz6

Thanks for the reply Enzyme80.

The 1500 came with an E10, the 2500 is a spare I bought for a HBX (max4 buggy) and the 4500 are Ansmann Race packs.

So, yes can see what you are saying, and presume the 1500 is just a cheap one.

Cheers,
Drew
Old 11-18-2008, 05:16 PM
e-firestormer

I am looking at getting some dirt hawg tires for the rear for general grass and dirt bashing. What I am curious about is whether I should get the 2.2" truck tires and rims or get some Dirt Hawg 30 and new 2.8" rims? Does having a low profile wheel and tire improve performance? Are there any 30 12mm hex rims? What other tires would be suitable?
Old 11-18-2008, 05:23 PM
drewpyfz6

ORIGINAL: e-firestormer

I am looking at getting some dirt hawg tires for the rear for general grass and dirt bashing. What I am curious about is whether I should get the 2.2" truck tires and rims or get some Dirt Hawg 30 and new 2.8" rims? Does having a low profile wheel and tire improve performance? Are there any 30 12mm hex rims? What other tires would be suitable?
I have just got a set of the very same wheels and tyres (2.2 rims, and Dirt Works tyres), although have not put them on yet.

I would guess that a lower profile tyre would have less cushioning effects, so more shock would go to the wheels and suspension.

Noticed that the standard soft tyres act as a very good impact absorber...

EDIT
Put the wrong tyre type... corrected now.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:24 PM
bmx833

if you take a 400mah battery, it will be fast bot when it starts to run out, it's slower because it is starting to run out
put it this way, running a 1500mah battery is kind of like running a nearly flay 400mah battery
Old 11-18-2008, 08:16 PM
SuKeZ

I'm using Traxxas 2.8 Talon wheels (you have to use "rear wheels" also as a front wheels) with Traxxas hex hubs and it works just perfect! Only ESC and Motor (Mamba Max + 5700kV) gets really fast hot with 17T pinion and aggressive ESC settings - I have to decrease it a little bit
Old 11-20-2008, 03:29 AM
dafpnp

The reason is that higher capacity mAh batteries have a higher capacity to provide current per unit time. Since your bigger battery is able to provide more current to the motor, it runs faster. However if you go with even higher batteries, if they can deliver more current than the motor requires, you'll not see any speed improvements.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:13 AM
drewpyfz6

That all makes sense now - thanks for the reply.

Going to get some more of the 4500mah, when I can afford them.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:14 PM
Enzyme80

ORIGINAL: dafpnp

The reason is that higher capacity mAh batteries have a higher capacity to provide current per unit time. Since your bigger battery is able to provide more current to the motor, it runs faster. However if you go with even higher batteries, if they can deliver more current than the motor requires, you'll not see any speed improvements.

This is not always true. There are good quality batteries that will deliver as much if not more power and are only 3000 mah. Think about the older 3300 EP (may have been IB I am not 100% on it), they provided a lot of power and are only 3300 mah. mah is how much charge they will hold not how much power they give. Better quality cells have a faster discharge rate and therefore provide more power to the motor.
I do agree with your last statement.

As a general rule though (at least from what I have seen) the higher mah the better quality battery they are using and you will get more speed. More speed = more fun IMO.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:14 AM
drewpyfz6

Is it ok to run the 2.2 wheels with Dirt Works tyres on the e-firestorm?

It wont harm anything?
With the front wheels being bigger?

Thanks,
Drew
Old 11-23-2008, 04:53 AM
e-firestormer

Even with the stock tires the front are a little larger than the rear tires. How much smaller than the front are the Dirt Works?

I am in the process of getting some new tires and rims for the e-fire flux, have decided on the truck 2.2", not 2.8" but now want to find some beadlock rims as I hate gluing tires. Will the HPI beadlocks for the wheelie king or any of the other MT's work with the e-fire and can any 2.2" truck tire work with a beadlock?
Old 11-23-2008, 05:24 AM
drewpyfz6

Even with the stock tires the front are a little larger than the rear tires. How much smaller than the front are the Dirt Works?
Will post some pictures of them side by side - just got to nip out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.