Community
Search
Notices
MRC Charger Product Support (i.e. Super Brain, etc) Tim Sandor of MRC/Hirobo is your host. Ask all your MRC questions here!

989 balancer & connectors

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 03:04 AM
sims5hd
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 989 balancer & connectors

I'm about to receive a new RTR boats and ordered a super brain 989 and thunder ac6 chargers. i believe ac6 comes w/ balance board but not sb 989. is ac6 balance board compatable w/ sb989 charger or do i need to get like a Lba 10 balancer seperate for sb 989 chrgr? And also what type connectors do i need for batts. and chargers ? sounds like most people are pretty partial to DEANS plugs. companies that sell Chargers don't seem to tell u what all comes with their chargers.and most batts. don't come w/ connectors,but i can solder pretty good, so i would much appreciate someones feed back as soon as possible. I like to help out as many people as i can on RCU ,so i like the same in return , i know what it's like to be ignored from time to time, but i also realize this is a fast paced world we live in, not much time!!!!!!!!!! HAVE A GOOD DAY!!!!!!!!! [img]images/smiley/msn/regular_smile.gif[/img][img]images/smiley/msn/thumbs_up.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2009, 11:46 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: 989 balancer & connectors

I don't think a balance board of any type is going to be compatible with the 989 since balance board have many pins input and are designed for balanmcers or balance chargers. Any balancer (such as the lba10) with a 2-wire input will be compatible with the 989 though. The input of balancer gets hooked to the + and - from the output of charger.

For the discharge and charge leads use whichever you prefer , Dean's,powerpoles,traxxas or even tamiya connector if your boat isn't real fast. A lead or adapter can be made from one connection to others as well. Most people seem to prefer Dean's.

hope this gets you going somewhat. Try to get all same balance connections if you can.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:12 PM
sims5hd

ORIGINAL: guver

I don't think a balance board of any type is going to be compatible with the 989 since balance board have many pins input and are designed for balanmcers or balance chargers. Any balancer (such as the lba10) with a 2-wire input will be compatible with the 989 though. The input of balancergets hooked to the+ and - from the output of charger.

For the discharge and charge leads use whichever you prefer , Dean's,powerpoles,traxxas or even tamiya connector if your boat isn't real fast. A lead or adapter can be made from one connection to others as well. Most people seem to prefer Dean's.

hope this gets you going somewhat. Try to get all same balance connections if you can.

HEY GUVER, I understand the first paragraph, but not exactly sure word for word the second paragraph, maybe explain just alittle more in detail for me i'm a little on the waterlogged side ,HA, lol. thanx, rick
Old 05-21-2009, 02:24 AM
guver

You're asking about connectors, and there are only 3 decent very popular ones. Use whichever you have the most of or whichever is available or what you prefer. I like the powerpoles, most people like Dean's, Traxxas are the newest. Regardless of which you choose , an adapter or charge lead can be made or bought for the other types.

If the current isn't excessive (20 amps) OR if your boat isn't a very fast boat then a Tamiya connector can also be considered and is real popular as well. If the boat is slow then it is fine, if it's a fast dual motor or brushless boat then don't use the tamiya connectors because it won't hold up with a lot of current.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:48 PM
sims5hd

thanx guver, i got ya figured out now,i already ordered deans plugs. i see i'll probably be makin all kinds of adapters & universals and whatnot,oh well.. I got my sb989 yesterday, i see it comes standard w/tamiya charger plug,so can i cut it off and add a deans conn??thanx 4 your help!!! RICK
Old 05-21-2009, 12:52 PM
guver

Sure, or you can unscrew the leads from green connector and use a Dean's lead. I have a few green connectors with two leads on them. If the wires not too big you can do that too.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:19 PM
sims5hd

hey guver , i pickin up what ur puttin down now ,ha ha!!! i see the little green charger plugs have little screws on them so i know what ur talkin bout now... you say u can put possibly 2 leads in green connector, is that so u can charge 2 batt's at once??? got my lba 10 balancer ordered 2 day , took about 10 different web sites to get 1 they r all sold out everywhere. hey i'll probly need help figurin that out too, lba10 i mean,sure u wanted 2 hear that ,lol!!!! thanks a million guver, it is so cool 2 have someone take time out of a busy schedule 2 help out a friend.....hae a good one man!!! RICK
Old 05-22-2009, 02:45 AM
guver

Ha, not really. It's just so you could have two different connectors.

You can charge two different lipo packs on the one output as long as the packs have the same number of cells.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:53 AM
sims5hd

so ur sayin u can charge 2 lipo's at same time as long same cell count right ? now what kind of adapter do i have to get if i was 2 do this?i'm goin 2 use deans plugs. i hear guys talkin about chargin in series, parallel & all that, can u kinda explain that 2 me when u get a chance i appreciate it guver?? RICK
Old 05-22-2009, 12:36 PM
guver

Yes, that's correct and you can use the same double lead we described. This may also explain Parallel and series connections.

http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/_lipo.html