Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

CMP Cessna 182 Building Thread-->the best scale Cessna 1.20 size ARF that is on the market!!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

CMP Cessna 182 Building Thread-->the best scale Cessna 1.20 size ARF that is on the market!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 08:26 AM
stevelesl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CMP Cessna 182 Building Thread>the best scale Cessna 1.20 size ARF that is on the market!!!

ORIGINAL: ROGGERJAMES

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can make a new windshield for my cessna.. I was messed up in my last crash and is not repairable..

Also has anyone had any issues with the landing gear not being strong enough to hold the weight of the plane, or ways to strengthen the rear landing gear (not the nose gear). Mine flexes considerably.

Nakia
No idea on the windshield I'm afraid but on the main gear, mine also flexes but it does appear to be "springy" enough to take a beating.
I think it looks pretty cool too !
Old 04-30-2009, 08:33 AM
stev_1

Default RE: CMP Cessna 182 Building Thread>the best scale Cessna 1.20 size ARF that is on the market!!!

I used a robart nose gear with a shock, a evolution 20gx gas engine, jr 821 servos, 6v battery, installed nav, landing and a rotating beacon in tail, planes flys great lots of power, have not had any problems with main gear
Old 04-30-2009, 11:31 AM
ricardoreyes

Stev 1,

Can you place a pictures of you plane?

I want see how fit the evolution 20gx in that plane and planing put a evolution 26 (how much colw did you take off?), also I want see the nav and the rotating becon in the tail.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:51 PM
mcacs
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks for your replies guys....

I finally bought the SPEKTRUM DS821 SPORT HI-TORQUE DIGITAL SERVOS

I've got 8 Brand New TowerPro MG995 as decoration in my shelve !!!

If anyone wants them, just let me know...

I'll let them go for 90.00 including hardware and shipping.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:38 PM
jdcook54

flew mine yesterday for the first time, flew good at 1/4 - 1/2 throttle with an evolution 26, took off in 2 feet, landed like a glider, minimum control throws were reaqlly too much, cut them down to even less, this thing was a lot of work, but it flys pretty good, i kept the tail end torque rods, but beefed them up alot, completely enclosed in wood with just the arms sticking out, also flattened both sides of the rudder ball link and put a regular clevis on it.

JD
Old 05-05-2009, 08:02 AM
ricardoreyes

jdcook54

Could you take some pictures of you plane, I want see how the evolution 26 fit in that plane.

Regards
Old 05-06-2009, 08:23 AM
jdcook54

The engine is mounted inverted and is completely enclosed except for the muffler pipes and the spark plug wire, I have the older 26 with the straight spark plug, also I had to order the pitts style muffler and then modify it quite a bit, a half inch was removed from the top and the bottom corner was removed and re-welded to get it to fit inside the cowl, the square area in front between the headlights was removed and the carb sticks through it about 1/4"
Old 05-06-2009, 08:51 AM
gary41
My Feedback: (5)

I have a SPE 26 in mine, it has the spark plug mounted at an angle. It is an earlier version SPE. I had to make a small cut-out for the front of the muffler because of its "square" shape.
The newer muffler has an angular slant so likely it would fit without a cutout. They (Cermack) also have a pitts style for it for about $45 that would require only cutting for the exhaust tubes! I'll take photos of mine this evening and post them.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:51 PM
DSTIEBS

I did some searching for the CMP 182 Skylane 50 size and1.20 sizeandcould notfind one listed on any website. Did CMP stop making them? I thought of buying a spare kit.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:13 PM
gary41
My Feedback: (5)

AK-Models has one on their website.  here is the link    http://ak-models.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AKM&Product_Co de=CMP058&Category_Code=NITRO90_160  It shows that he has 1 left,  You might give him a call to check.      If that link does not work, his website is  www.ak-models.com  

I have a spare cowl that is the only undamaged part of what was my CMP Pro Cessna 140.  I survived the maiden flight because it was NOT on the model!  There were 3 experienced RC pilots "manageing" the maiden, and NONE of us noticed that the antenna was not extended. (We were too used to flying other models on 2.4gig systems!!!)

The cowl is trimed out to fit the SPE 26.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:16 AM
manila_eagle
My Feedback: (16)

Hello everyone, I have been reading this thread for about two months now and I thank you all for the tips you have provided. I bought my CMPro Cessna 140 last year at Nitroplane when the price was $149.95. I just started putting together the plane last week. Here are the list of all the equipment that I am going to put into this plane. For the engine an RCGF 26cc electronic ignition with Pitts style muffler, Robart 654 for the nose wheel, Futaba S9152 servos for the elevator & rudder, two S9202 for the aileron and two S3152 for flaps, one S3152 for throttle, one S3152 for the Optical ignition engine cut off, one S3152 for the RAM navigation lighting system. The radio will be Futaba 7C 2.4ghz with 617 receiver, and two 4.8V 2000mAh NIMH, one for the receiver and one for the ignition and one 9V 800mAh for the NAV lights system. So far what I have accomplished are, install an additional firewall on top of the existing firewall, install the mounting bracket for the nose wheel inside the fuselage and change the servo mounting hole for elevator and rudder. Currently I am working on installing the nose wheel pants  on the Robart 654 and building an elevator joiner. If there is anything that I need to be aware of please let me me know, anyone? I would really appreciate any comments, and or suggestions. Thanks Happy Flying!

Old 06-04-2009, 04:10 AM
Chas

I have the same engine you are putting in. I have not started this project yet as I am finishing up another plane. I have been running the RCGF 26 on a engine stand and runs prefert. Let me know your progress.
Chuck.

ORIGINAL: manila_eagle

Hello everyone, I have been reading this thread for about two months now and Ithank you all for the tips you have provided. I bought my CMPro Cessna 140 last year at Nitroplane when the price was $149.95. I just started putting together the plane last week. Here are the list of all the equipment that I am going to put into this plane. For the engine an RCGF 26cc electronic ignition with Pitts style muffler, Robart 654 for the nose wheel, Futaba S9152 servos for the elevator & rudder, two S9202 for the aileron and two S3152 for flaps, one S3152for throttle, one S3152 for the Optical ignition engine cut off, one S3152 for the RAM navigation lighting system. The radio will be Futaba 7C 2.4ghz with 617 receiver, and two 4.8V 2000mAh NIMH,one for thereceiver and one for the ignition and one 9V 800mAh for the NAV lightssystem. So far what I have accomplishedare, install an additional firewall on top of the existing firewall, install the mounting bracket for the nose wheel inside the fuselageand change the servo mounting hole for elevator and rudder. Currently I am working on installing the nose wheel pants on the Robart 654 and building an elevator joiner. If there is anything that I need to be aware of pleaselet me me know, anyone? I would really appreciate any comments, and or suggestions. Thanks Happy Flying!

Old 06-04-2009, 09:47 AM
ROGGERJAMES

Just a reminder. Before you fly your cessna make sure your center of gravity is correct (both the fuselage and the wings) On one of my maiden flights, I almost had a catastrophic crash because my left wing was considerably heavier than the right.. I did sustain some minor damage with what I call a slightly controlled crash, but repairable.. I had to a small amount of weight to balance the wings.. I am just waiting for the weather to clear to put it back up in the air...

Just curious, I have the Zenoah G26Ei on mines, I have run the 18x8 prop on mine but am wondering how it would do with a 16x10 prop instead... Any suggestions or ideas on this?

Old 06-04-2009, 10:46 AM
stevelesl

Hello everyone, I have been reading this thread for about two months now and Ithank you all for the tips you have provided. I bought my CMPro Cessna 140 last year at Nitroplane when the price was $149.95. I just started putting together the plane last week. Here are the list of all the equipment that I am going to put into this plane. For the engine an RCGF 26cc electronic ignition with Pitts style muffler, Robart 654 for the nose wheel, Futaba S9152 servos for the elevator & rudder, two S9202 for the aileron and two S3152 for flaps, one S3152for throttle, one S3152 for the Optical ignition engine cut off, one S3152 for the RAM navigation lighting system. The radio will be Futaba 7C 2.4ghz with 617 receiver, and two 4.8V 2000mAh NIMH,one for thereceiver and one for the ignition and one 9V 800mAh for the NAV lightssystem. So far what I have accomplishedare, install an additional firewall on top of the existing firewall, install the mounting bracket for the nose wheel inside the fuselageand change the servo mounting hole for elevator and rudder. Currently I am working on installing the nose wheel pants on the Robart 654 and building an elevator joiner. If there is anything that I need to be aware of pleaselet me me know, anyone? I would really appreciate any comments, and or suggestions. Thanks Happy Flying!

My plane (my second CMP Cessna 140) has about 30 - 40 flights now, great plane to fly and looks good in the air, here is a tip.
My fuselage is starting to develope slight cracking between the bottom of the firewall backwards towards the landing gear, I beleive it is due to the nose wheel bending pressure as it hits the ground. i have a fults twin leg on the front which is very strong but it appears too strong as the forces are being transfered to the bottom of the fuselage. i would recommend placing some ply beteen one of the formers and the fire wall on the bottom, this will take some of the load away from the fiberglass bottom which is pretty thin.
just a thought.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:22 AM
manila_eagle

Thanks Chuck, Yes I will post it here every time I accomplish something. I bought the RCGF because of many positive comments that I read on gas engine forum and the price is right.

Thanks too for the warning Roggerjames. Sorry I have no clue, I am newbee to gasoline engine and I just start learning about it from the gas engine forum. The only thing that I know about Zenoa G26Ei is that it is a very reliable engine.

Ben
Old 06-04-2009, 03:23 PM
DSTIEBS

Stevelesl: Why not try the Robart 654 nose gear with about 3-5 degree Positive castor. The castor will take some of the pressure of of the firewall upon landing and the Robart gear spring will absorb the touch down pressure.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61918.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	1211950  
Old 06-04-2009, 06:57 PM
larrysogla

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

manila eagle,
I noticed that you are in Boron, California? Lots of wide open, desert spaces in that place. Where do you fly, in the desert dry lake beds? That place is beginning to prosper because of the Freeway 58 connecting Bakersfield and Barstow. Wow......lots of free airspace and free dry lake beds nearby within an hour radius all around you. Take care and God Bless, always.
larry(I am also a Manila Boy......60 yrs. old.......I am).....thanks
Old 06-05-2009, 12:23 PM
manila_eagle

Larry,
Yes, there is a lot of space here but the wind blows most of the time from 5 to 30MPH. We use a paved road which is not being used or never used. Prosper you said? Hummmm... is big question mark??? Kabayan, I am pretty much as young as you are, hahahaha!, by the way where are you residing in Southern California? I used to live in West Covina and I used to fly at Whittier Narrows Park.  Take care, Ben
Old 06-05-2009, 12:37 PM
manila_eagle

Anyone, 

Please tell me how to insert an image here?

Thanks,
Ben
Old 06-05-2009, 12:55 PM
stevelesl

ORIGINAL: DSTIEBS

Stevelesl: Why not try the Robart 654 nose gear with about 3-5 degree Positive castor. The castor will take some of the pressure of of the firewall upon landing and the Robart gear spring will absorb the touch down pressure.
Good idea, I will stick with my Fults gear for now though as it works ok, I think that if i was building another one from scratch I would still beef up the front end, the glass fiber is pretty weak there.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:57 PM
stevelesl

Anyone,

Please tell me how to insert an image here?

Thanks,
Ben
Click on upload images and files link at the bottom of the box when you are adding text to your post, this brings up a windo that you can then brows you computer to select the picture file you want, you then click OK at the bottom and it will download.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:33 PM
manila_eagle

Stevelesl,

Thanks. What I have is Insert Image and I get a window asking to enter the URL of the image. Have no idea what it meant.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:06 PM
manila_eagle

As promise.
Last weekend I install the included wooden block for the nose wheel inside the fuselage at the back of the firewall after modifying the existing holes. I spent sometime thinking of how I would mount the wheel pant to Robart 654. First I disassemble the Robart, drill and cut the top of the wheel pant, just enough the Robart to go through the wheel pant. I found the included rubber mount for the engine which fit right at each side of the Robart gear. I epoxy the rubber on each side of the Robart gear, drill through both side of the wheel pant and mount it with longer screws.  Assemble back the Robart 654 and install it on the plane.  I temporary assemble the tail section and found out that the two horizontal stabilizers were not equal in distance (a difference of ¾”) from the tip of the vertical stabilizer to the tip of each horizontal stabilizer. To correct the error, I remove the carbon fiber inside the tail section of the fuselage, which holds the aluminum tube. I widen the diameter of the holes on both sides of the fuselage, make 4 pieces of plywood with hole, same diameter of the aluminum tube, install the plywood inside and outside, on both sides, of the fuselage. Temporary install the tail section, measure, adjust and tape the tail section and glued in place.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:28 PM
manila_eagle

Continuation:

As of now I was trying to install the elevator, but I am having difficulty of getting a 30-45mm (up or down) throw on the elevator without having a big gap between the Horiz stab and elev. Is there anyone there made a successful way to achieve this range of throw?

Thanks!

Old 06-22-2009, 05:08 PM
DSTIEBS

Are you sure it is suppose to be 30-45mm. I have the 50 size 182 but the Elevator is on 15-25mm. 45mm is a lot of throw. Iuse 20-40mm for my Flaps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.