Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Can't shake the Rc bug!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 09:42 AM
futureboy1969

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't shake the Rc bug!!!!!

Tell me guys, Is it not just me. But I got the Nitro bug bite 6 years ago and every day I just can't stop thinkn, sleepn, eatn and u know the rest.....ha ha, Rc's.
Every day I have to go on all the web sites(ie... Craigslist, Ebay, Rc Universe Classifieds, Rc Scrapyard, Tower, Traxxas.......) Looking to buy more trucks...parts
motors......and any rc nitro stuff that some one is tired of or need a quick buck or trade....HELP!!!!!!! I've got like 12 or 13 nitro trucks....ok and one brushless truck (got to have one....that bug was a small one.)...lol........Tell me guys, Did anyone else get bit that hard???? Oh and I'm alway looking for places to run too. I find myself just
driving around look for places.. And yes I do have a live....ha ha ha. (ie...wife, kids r older now) the wife is my best friend so she understands... let me know guys..
Old 02-14-2010, 10:03 AM
MTboy

Default RE: Can't shake the Rc bug!!!!!

I feel your pain..
Always watching and thinking of new areas as I do my life things..lol Even take a truck with me to work just to get my fix on breaks or after. Being in construction it's nice to get a chance to run in an area you wont be able to after the job is finished.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:07 AM
Devils-Reject
My Feedback: (8)

Dito Dito Dito
me too i go to all the sites and im always buying parts
taking my cars apart making parts fixing tinkering
i cant shack it as well i love it
Old 02-14-2010, 10:21 AM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heck I run my trucks almost every day. Take mines to work also so i can run on ky break time lol. When I'm driving I try to keep my eyes peeled for places that I can run also. Since room is limited in my apartment I only have 4 but I'm slowly working the wife into letting me get a 5th one lol.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:44 AM
Redvanmafia

the rc bug has bit my friend as well, Ive been doing rc for 5-6 years now, but i don't drink, i don't smoke, you smoke a pack a day thats roughly 400 a month on cigarettes and if you drink as well its over 500 a month, that's a nice car payment, now i spend 250-300 a month on rc cars and parts, so im saving money and i have a hobby that i love cant go wrong with that
Old 02-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Willystylz

Redvan you've hit the nail on the head. I'm the same way, don't smoke, don't gamble, don't drink much. I'm hooked on R/C's and every day i'm checking out R/C sites just to see if anything new's in stock. I just wish there were more quality R/C enthusiast sites on the net. That seems to be one area that's lacking. The mags have their own websites, but seem poorly updated and don't have many articles or reviews on them. I should start a new thread on this about which R/C sites ppl frequent. But I think it's been done before...
Old 02-14-2010, 01:13 PM
fourwheels0
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol i always tell people that are thinking about getting into rc one thing.
once you have one and find out you like it get ready for trouble "it's like an addiction to crack".
over the last 8-9yrs i've had over 30 rc's everything from 1/18th to 5th scales.
the way i see it it's legal and cheaper than a dui lol.
plus it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:59 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I do the same thing everyday. RC Websites, then Kijiji, Craiglist and Ebay.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:15 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

iv never been amped up or excited or enthusiastic to do anything RC. i started because i was bored and drawn to the workbench tinkering side of things. yeah i did do it almost every day for a while. but hell i was in high school i had nothing else to do. hang out with friends and they were all into RC so guess what we usually ended up doing. iv never gone out specifically looking for places to run, or gone looking for deals, im not dropping mad duckets on it. it was basically something that killed time and distracted me from reality.
the past 6 or so years i can't even tell you why im still here. just about everything that was appealing to me about this hobby and the things that kept me going have pretty much dried up and are now almost non existent.
i was thinking about it a while back i realized that the only reason im still involved in RC is because of the money iv sunk into it over the years. i wouldn't get what i feel to be a reasonable return on my money if i sold everything off. so i just keep hanging on to stuff. its ether let it sit, take up space and collect dust or use it. might as well get my moneys worth out of it before it becomes obsolete, non repairable and ends up in a trash can.
im actually bored and apathetic about the hole thing
Old 02-14-2010, 02:42 PM
Willystylz

That was sombre[]. Well maybe the R/C bug is hidden deep inside you somewhere, maybe would explain why you're still on here?
Old 02-14-2010, 03:26 PM
suburban_hooligan

i started bouncing around RC forums back in the late 90's and its just kind of become habit. i mostly stick to off topic and generic bs at this point because pretty much all my knowledge is outdated, my vehicles and equipment are outdated and i don't have much interest in the newer products so i don't have a lot to say or do.
if somebody knocked on my door tomorrow and offered me a price that i see fit for all my RC gear. you would probably never see me again
Old 02-14-2010, 05:03 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

I understand where st dragn wagen is coming from. Most people get to the point where this hobby no longer has the appeal it once did, and they lose interest and move on to other things. The R/C bug really isn't what it is hyped up to be; I'd say the majority of people don't last more than a few years in the hobby.

However, some of us truly are hooked for life. I've been in this hobby since early 2003 when I bought my first electric Stampede, and although it isn't as fascinating as it once was, I can't see myself ever letting go completely.

Sadly, the same can't be said for all of the bashing greats who first introduced me to the hobby, and inspired me to pursue progressively larger jumps and harder bashing. SMF, Redneck Bashers, etc. With their departure, the hobby is considerably less interesting than it was 4-5 years ago; but I have hope that the current trends will blow over, and bashing will make a resurgence sometime in the near future.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:09 PM
mazdaprotege4
My Feedback: (32)

I was into RC when I was a young teen, then I got out of it because I got into dirtbikes and snowmobiles.  I have since moved to the cities and sold all my other stuff, but got back into RC's since it is easy to drive one almost anywhere.  I think that I have had probably over 80 different RC's come through my doors in the last three years (I do a lot of trades and stuff like that, but I usually only keep the stuff I love like my Clodbusters)
Old 02-14-2010, 06:41 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: futureboy1969

Tell me guys, Is it not just me. But I got the Nitro bug bite 6 years ago and every day I just can't stop thinkn, sleepn, eatn and u know the rest.....ha ha, Rc's.
Every day I have to go on all the web sites(ie... Craigslist, Ebay, Rc Universe Classifieds, Rc Scrapyard, Tower, Traxxas.......) Looking to buy more trucks...parts
motors......and any rc nitro stuff that some one is tired of or need a quick buck or trade....HELP!!!!!!! I've got like 12 or 13 nitro trucks....ok and one brushless truck (got to have one....that bug was a small one.)...lol........Tell me guys, Did anyone else get bit that hard???? Oh and I'm alway looking for places to run too. I find myself just
driving around look for places.. And yes I do have a live....ha ha ha. (ie...wife, kids r older now) the wife is my best friend so she understands... let me know guys..
only 12 in 6 years?
at the rate I'm going I'll need to buy a house just for RC's in 6 years (got 9 in one year scrapped 2 for other projects)
Old 02-14-2010, 07:54 PM
rast4man
My Feedback: (10)

In 3 months I've managed to get 18 RC's. 2 are electric and the rest are nitro. I'd say I have the bug. I race and bash so it all works out. My GF is pretty understanding now but agrees I should get rid of some. What a great hobby!

ORIGINAL: futureboy1969

Old 02-14-2010, 07:57 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Give 1/5 scale gas a try, then you'll REALLY be hooked. [&:]
Old 02-14-2010, 08:05 PM
rast4man

I'm doing a plane with a 60" wingspan first then I'm jumping into the 1/5 baja. I've already got everything picked out and I heard some company is working on a 2-speed tranny. That would be amazing.

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Give 1/5 scale gas a try, then you'll REALLY be hooked. [&:]
Old 02-14-2010, 08:11 PM
sheograth

Yeah the Baja 2 speed should be readily available soon. There's some discussion about it over in the giant scale forum.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:27 PM
suburban_hooligan

ORIGINAL: HPI_Savage_RC

I understand where st dragn wagen is coming from. Most people get to the point where this hobby no longer has the appeal it once did, and they lose interest and move on to other things. The R/C bug really isn't what it is hyped up to be; I'd say the majority of people don't last more than a few years in the hobby.

However, some of us truly are hooked for life. I've been in this hobby since early 2003 when I bought my first electric Stampede, and although it isn't as fascinating as it once was, I can't see myself ever letting go completely.
im not trying to be a jerk or anything but i don't think you do understand where im coming from. you got in at about the same time i started stepping back and looking around and realizing there was nothing here for me anymore.
its weird. guys who got in before i did usually agree and understand where im coming from and guys who got in a few years after me haven't got a clue.
i think its because you guys haven't been here long enough to see how things used to be and how things have changed. and watched it change from something you liked into something you didn't like and/or agree with. then watched what you don't like/agree with push you out and then take over all but eliminating every reason you had to be here.
id go into further detail but it would just turn this thread into the usual 5 page argument

and what the hell is up with some of you guys being here for 5 years and having 47 cars? iv been running my own equipment for 13 years. iv had 7 cars total in that amount of time. currently i have 4 (and 1 OG shelfer). and 2 that run. why the hell would you need that many cars? hell i think the 4 i have is to many. what is the point of having so many cars that you have multiples of vehicles and types of vehicles? are you buying cheap crap? are you just not taking care of it and driving like an idiot and wrecking it up and need spare cars? are you that obsessed with trying to be cool that you have to buy into every new fad? i don't get it
Old 02-14-2010, 08:48 PM
HidosDeBrazil

I have twenty cars. Why? because I ****ing can that's why.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:58 PM
sheograth

Keep it civil guys, please.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:07 PM
suburban_hooligan

all i did was ask a question that intrigues me. nothing uncivil about that. iv been asking it for the better part of a decade and so far i have not gotten one legitimate reason or answer. usually all i get is the typical "because i can" or "whoever dies with the most toys wins" or something wisecrack along those lines.

its not the meaning of life im pondering. its why multiples of the same car? why multiples of the save type of vehicle? why always with the fad hopping?
what is so difficult about answering those questions?
Old 02-14-2010, 09:11 PM
sheograth

I don't understand what answer you're waiting for. It's a hobby, people have fun and spend their money however they see fit. If you don't like to spend your money that way, don't.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:23 PM
rast4man

Who cares how many people have how many cars. You don't have to deal with it. I personally have tons of cars and trucks and none of them are "cheap crap". It's a hobby and there is a diverse selection out there and certain applications that can be utilized depending on the weather, etc. Your nonsensical rant is just grounds to provoke an argument. You said you'd stop because you know it will turn into a 5 page arguement thread, well you started the argument when calling out people and stating "people don't have a clue".

Enjoy however many RC's you have but don't bag on people, like me, that have an extensive collection.

ORIGINAL: st_dragn_wagen

ORIGINAL: HPI_Savage_RC

im not trying to be a jerk or anything but i don't think you do understand where im coming from. you got in at about the same time i started stepping back and looking around and realizing there was nothing here for me anymore.
its weird. guys who got in before i did usually agree and understand where im coming from and guys who got in a few years after me haven't got a clue.
i think its because you guys haven't been here long enough to see how things used to be and how things have changed. and watched it change from something you liked into something you didn't like and/or agree with. then watched what you don't like/agree with push you out and then take over all but eliminating every reason you had to be here.
id go into further detail but it would just turn this thread into the usual 5 page argument

and what the hell is up with some of you guys being here for 5 years and having 47 cars? iv been running my own equipment for 13 years. iv had 7 cars total in that amount of time. currently i have 4 (and 1 OG shelfer). and 2 that run. why the hell would you need that many cars? hell i think the 4 i have is to many. what is the point of having so many cars that you have multiples of vehicles and types of vehicles? are you buying cheap crap? are you just not taking care of it and driving like an idiot and wrecking it up and need spare cars? are you that obsessed with trying to be cool that you have to buy into every new fad? i don't get it
Old 02-14-2010, 09:57 PM
Willystylz

There have been sooo many great R/C released in the past, present, and future. Without a doubt, one could easily have 20, 30 or more R/C's in their collection. I grew up in the '80's and my dad was a DM/RM for Radio Shack and I always had many R/C's when I was a kid. Sure they were toy-grade R/C's. But R/C's nonetheless. I remember reading old R/C Car Action mags when I was a kid and drooling over some of the R/C's in there. I remember walking into the LHS in the mall and seeing a Clod on display........i was simply amazed. Could only dream of owning one since, well i was a kid, and my weekly allowance wouldn't exactly be enuff to purchase a Clod. I think I had the R/C bug implanted in me as a little kid and it has always stayed. During my teen years and early 20's I never even touched an R/C. But around 6 or 7 yrs ago my bro and his buddy went out and bought HPI Savages and as soon as i saw them come home i was hooked! The R/C bug resurfaced! Now I have 6 R/C's that I run and work on. I'd have more if it wasn't for some limited funding, but I do enjoy upgrading and customizing the ones I do have.

Sure R/C's have evolved a ton in even the last 5 yrs. The technology just keeps getting better all the time. I'm an electric guy, and brushless motors and lipo batts simply make the hobby more fun and less a pain in the arse. If we were still using '80's & '90's technology, i sorta doubt i'd even be in this hobby.

At least I can sit here with a on my face and say i enjoy the hobby.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.