Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Nitro Planes Tiger Moth

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Nitro Planes Tiger Moth

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 04:05 AM
WAflier
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro Planes Tiger Moth

I'm new to this forum so I'm not sure if this has ever been posted but here goes:
I recently bought a scale tiger moth bi plane from Nitro planes. I've never flown a bi plane before but they look so cool I hade to get one. The kit calls for a 1.20 4c
Wil that be enough for this plane. How will this plane handle and is there any advice for me out there takeoffs, landing ect. I would appreciate it

Thanks

WAflier
Old 03-06-2010, 01:00 PM
AncientCityFlyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Nitro Planes Tiger Moth

WAflier, I'v got a Pacific Aeromodels 120 size Tiger Moth. Both bipes are nearly the same in size. I'm flying mine with a Saito 125 and it flies great. It will do loops, cuban 8s, etc. not so great on rolls as the wings are huge. A little up elevator on take-off roll initially then neutral elev as it gains speed and she will float off the ground. Roll on the power slowley. Landings a pretty much a no-brainer, just keep a couple clicks of power on until you're just above the runway, then cut the power back and she will settle in for a landing, just remember bipes have a lot of drag due to the "N" struts, Cabanes and flying wires, etc.. If you don't keep some power on for landing she will tip stall, and we all the result of that! Good luck with your Tiger Moth, they look great in the air. Mike (ACF)
Old 03-06-2010, 03:10 PM
cjtyped
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the NP Toger Moth with a magnum 1.2 fs. It is a great flying airplane...one of my all time favorites. I like to putt putt around, do the occasional loop. I have substituted piper cub landing gear and this makes for super soft landings.
A real pleasure to fly.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:15 PM
chepenik

My Super Tiger Moth (78" wingspan) is powered by an RCV 1.2 SP engine; great fun, scale looks, ample power.

Ken
Old 03-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Guerra
My Feedback: (48)

YS 120 and flys like a trainer. The YS 120 provides plenty of power. No weight was needed to balance. PM me for a RC Report Review
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21674.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	1393573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84656.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	1393574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59925.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	1393575  
Old 04-13-2010, 09:56 AM
trumanmc

I also have a Nitro Planes 120 Tiger Moth with a Satio 125 for power. It's a great plane but the hardware is junk. It flies great and looks great in the air. I fly around at about 1/4 throttle with the Saito 125.
I would like to change to a Cub type landing gear. Does anyone have a a link to a good landing gear that would fit the Tiger Moth?
Thanks,
Truman
Old 04-13-2010, 08:59 PM
WAflier
My Feedback: (2)

Trumanmc:
I totally agree about the hardware. I've been replacing most of the hardware for stronger or better fitting items. The build manual is a bit vague especially with the support cabels and the pushrods. Can you post up some pictures of your finished model in particulatr your rudder linkage and the elevatore linkage. Ialso have noticed that the fuel tank supports dont line up correctly. There were no pre drilled holes in the fuselodge and the holesin the supports are abot 1-1 1/5 inches below the nearest wood. Not sure what they were tiniking but they got that wrong.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:21 PM
toddsl

Just added the Silver Tiger Moth 120 to my fleet. Nitroplanes had a father's day sale going. Maybe posts will pick up a bit on this thread as Nitroplanes shows "sold out." There must be a few more moths out there now.
Going with an ASP 1.20 four stroke for power. Only one complaint so far, the lower wing arrived with trailing edge damage to the wing and aileron. Appears to be packing damage rather then shipping damage. I'll get some pics and video posted soon.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:13 AM
toddsl

Brief overview of my assembly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt0dhlQ6580
Old 02-13-2012, 12:18 PM
porathl
My Feedback: (1)

One big question about the Tiger Moth, did yu glue to lower wing halfs together or are they held by the mounting bolts??
Thanks.

I am currently building the yellow version right now but the instructions are poor.
Louie Porath
Old 02-13-2012, 02:49 PM
toddsl

I didn't glue them to allow for easier transport. They are held in on the leading edge by the wood tabs on each wing. Then by the bolts on the trailing edge.

Also, I just got some advice about reversing the one elevator servo. There are a few vids on youtube about reversing the servo internally. Not to hard if you can solder well. However, it seems my servos have the motor mounted directly to the circuit board. Not as easy as swapping two wires on the motor. I will say the plane flies fine the way I currently have the elevator set up.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:53 PM
toddsl

Oh and dont forget the check the build thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_92...tm.htm#9285117
Old 02-16-2012, 08:31 PM
bicyclemonkey
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: toddsl

Also, I just got some advice about reversing the one elevator servo. There are a few vids on youtube about reversing the servo internally. Not to hard if you can solder well. However, it seems my servos have the motor mounted directly to the circuit board. Not as easy as swapping two wires on the motor. I will say the plane flies fine the way I currently have the elevator set up.
I wonder where you heard that,

My silver one will be here tomorrow. I hate to hear that about the servos you were using (hextonix?) That's what I've got laying around and was going to use them. I'm trying to decide if I want to convert this to electric or 20cc gas or 4-stroke glow. Did you get your ASP 1.20 4c from Hobby King? It seems like they've gotten more expensive since the last time I've looked.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:31 PM
toddsl

ORIGINAL: bicyclemonkey

My silver one will be here tomorrow. I hate to hear that about the servos you were using (hextonix?) That's what I've got laying around and was going to use them. I'm trying to decide if I want to convert this to electric or 20cc gas or 4-stroke glow. Did you get your ASP 1.20 4c from Hobby King? It seems like they've gotten more expensive since the last time I've looked.

I actually opened three servos. Hextronix, futaba and airtronics. All had the motor mounted to the circuit board. It still may be possible to accomplish I just haven't had time yet. I did get the ASP from HK. Took 3 to 4 weeks to arrive I believe I got it for $179.00 shipped(on sale at the time). I just think on a plane this size, nitro power or gas is better then electric. Land, fuel up and go again. The ASP runs like a charm and sounds great with the right prop. This plane is great fun to fly. Last week on a no wind morning I just kept shooting touch and gos. Must have done 15 to 20 landings and greased them all. Lots of fun.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:34 PM
bicyclemonkey
My Feedback: (7)

Did you guys use the CA hinges on this or not?  I'm trying to decide on going with the ease of installation on the CA hinges or using Robart point hinges (I've never installed those).