Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

low end power

Old 03-12-2010, 03:58 PM
rk345345

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low end power

I have NONE it takes a darn city block to get this thing to wind out. Is there any gearing changes availble on these Tordnado s30 buggy? or am I stuck with what they give me. also I have not heard back from redcat about the servo that only goes one way. having to tur one way only kinda gets hard lol.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:11 PM
jeztur2003
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: low end power

ORIGINAL: rk345345

I have NONE it takes a darn city block to get this thing to wind out. Is there any gearing changes availble on these Tordnado s30 buggy? or am I stuck with what they give me. also I have not heard back from redcat about the servo that only goes one way. having to tur one way only kinda gets hard lol.

How is it running? You could try to lean it out some that would give you more punch.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Mickstix

I agree, sounds like you dont have the engine tuned right.. If it eventually gets going good, I'd try leaning your LSN by a 1/12 and see if its any better.. Do that a couple times and if it doesnt change, put it back to where it was and try the same with the HSN.. Just watch the temps when leaning the needles cause if ya go too far it'll get too hot.. If it gets up tospeed pretty quick, but then takes forever to reach max, then start with the HSN, doing the same, and if thatdont work, put it back and try the LSN.. Basically just remember where the needles were before ya start and if adjusting one doesnt help, put it back and try the other.. I've got the S30 w/ SH .18, and it gets up and goes with both the 2 speed and the single speed..
Old 03-12-2010, 08:07 PM
rk345345

It runs great other than the low end. sometimes it'll bog real bad low end. but the lsn does not seem to do any thingother than make it impossible to start when I turn that.I'll keep trying to tune it but its still kinda cold think it hit 40 yeterday and rain so humidity is like 90% mabey not the best for tuning in. out of curiosity is there a 2 peed cluth bell with more and less teeth?
Old 03-12-2010, 08:28 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

it's stuck in second gear
Old 03-12-2010, 09:25 PM
rk345345

stuck in second gear. I have read lots of problems with that. how do i check that I do turn the fly wheel and both spur gears turn should one be free or ?? this is the first two speed I have worked with. so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:27 PM
Mickstix

Do you hear it shift once it gets going? If not, it could be stuck in 2nd, but mine did that and the performance wasnt bad enough to think it wasnt running right? Was still fast, just a little slow off the start.. But you could check it visually, to make sure the little arm on the clutch isnt sticking out. Or prop it up on a stand of somekind and run it with the wheels off the ground.. If it still bogs it's the tune, if it acts right with the wheels off the ground it's probably in 2nd gear.. Truth be told, I never did find out why mine would stick in 2nd.. I'd "look" at the clutch and it would look fine, I'd take it apart and it'd all be fine, then I'd put it back together and it'd shift for about a tank of fuel, then stick in 2nd again.. I ended up getting the single speed tranny and clutchbell.. Still fast and no shifting issues.. But anyway, try and do the pinch test to check you LSN.. If it takes longer than 2-3 seconds, and revs excessively before it dies, you LSN is too rich.. It should rev slightly and die within 2 seconds, when ya pinch the fuel line that enters the carb.. If it's hard to start after leaning the LSN, you should try a hair dryer or heat gun to prewarm the block and head, before tryin to start it.. (and make sure the carb is primed) Let us know what happens and we'll get to the bottom of it!

BTW, I think you can get an HPI 2 speed clutchbell for it, but not sure what the teeth options are.. But I wouldnt do that unless your sure the 2 speed tranny is working properly to begin with..

Old 03-12-2010, 11:29 PM
rk345345

THE ARM THAT POPS OUT IS METAL CORRECT? AND HITS THE PLASTIC KINDA WEDGE SHAPED DEAL ON THE PLASTIC GEAR?
Old 03-13-2010, 01:40 AM
Mickstix

Yep, that's correct.. After some more though, I think it'll stay in 2nd if the one way bearing (in the tranny) starts slipping? If that's the case, you'll be like me, lookin all over the transmission and not finding anything "visually" wrong.. But you should be able to hear it shift, if its shifting..
Old 03-13-2010, 08:51 AM
billymare

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the Tsunami thread...there is a lot of info on using the HPI2 speed bells. I use a 14/18 and a 11/13 bell's the Tsunami is sick with these set ups!! MUCH better lower end. Ask kurt about how i snapped dogbones when it shifted so hard into 2'nd gear..LOL Love it!!
Old 03-13-2010, 10:46 AM
rk345345

I'll look into thoes bells. Hopefully the 2 speed is working, or will start working or I'll send the whole thing back to red cat. I've had it out like 3 times, switch does not work , had to replace front servo rite out of the box cause it would only turn one way. I don't want to stick $200 into it to get it to run just fairly well, If I'd a known that I would have just sprung the extra and bought a more expensive one that would run out of the box. You know what I mean ?

It's raining hard here today and sounds like it may tommorrow also, so I mite not get to it. And I'm finally going back to work monday, frost is finally out from under the roads so we can start digging. I'll try to lower the lsn tomorrow if it dries up for a while.

So theres no way to see if it's stuck in second gear other than to listen?
I have never worked on one, but shouldn't the bigger gear be free spinning when not in second? Like rite nowif I turn thefly wheel both black gears turn . I'm confused .

I see this set that looks really nice, metal gears and very high quality looking, threaded cluthbell, man would this be nice. Has any one tried it?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=WR&I=LXBTB6
Old 03-13-2010, 01:55 PM
lvh

I think it's in second gear also. Listen for the shift. Also give Redcat a call about it if it is broke out of the box they will help you or maybe the place where you got it from.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:13 PM
rk345345

ok lets say it is stuck in second. How do I go about getting it out and keeping it out. (without going to 1 speed) ?
Old 03-13-2010, 02:52 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Make sure the little allen screw, spring and ball are still in there holes. Make sure the screw is not too loose letting the clutch arm fly out pre-maturely. If all that fails take the transmission apart and get either an HPI 2 speed clutch or a traxxas 4-tec 2 speed clutch either one of those should work fine.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:18 PM
rk345345

i took the 2 speed out . and the allen screw to hold it two the shaft is not there so it musta been spinning freely and the break rod has part broken off that was laying in trans box any one know the set screw size so i can put one in mabey then itll work
Old 03-13-2010, 05:26 PM
lvh

It is the same as the other one in their
Old 03-13-2010, 06:33 PM
rk345345

great i put i back together and now it does not move at al haha great
Old 03-13-2010, 06:43 PM
rk345345

bet i put the one way in backwards
Old 03-13-2010, 06:55 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

You also need the Check ball and spring. You need a new 2 speed clutch by this point it sounds like.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:42 PM
Mickstix

I never knew the HPI or Traxxas 2 speed clutches would work.. I'd definitely go with one of those, if your clutch is already giving you problems..
But on a side note, if the setscrew to hold it on the shaft was missing, it wasnt stuck in 2nd gear.. You can also manually spin the 2nd spur and it should rotate freely.. If it forces the driveshafts to turn, its stuck in 2nd..  Also, the piece you found from the brake, is probably the little "button" that goes in the hole of the tranny, right below where the brake rod goes in. When the rod pivots it pushes that button out against the "shoes" and makes the brake shoes pinch the disk..
Old 03-14-2010, 10:50 AM
rk345345

yep it was the botton, not shure how it fell out while all put together. I did put the 2 way bering in backwards, oops. The part that was not screwed on was the mechanism to shift into second gear, that set screw was missing . I could not turn the second speed gear while it was in the car andI believe the thing that two speed shifting mechanismbeing not screwed down was wedged keeping it in second. I stole the set screw from the front dogbone cup to use so it will be 2 wheel drive till i get another but at least the 2 speed seems to be fine and working now.Also the cluch has worked fine all the time i believe. Not shure what this spring and ball is. stopped raining finaly. I'll try it today and let you all know how it goes . Thanks
Old 03-14-2010, 11:46 PM
Mickstix

Glad ya figured it out!! The "ball and spring" there referring to,are inside the clutch..The ball is asmall "bb" sized ball, and sping (looks like a minature sping from an ink pen)go into the hole before the setscrew. (the hole where the shift arm is) Ya put the ball in first, then the spring, then the setscrew.. Also, dont forget to use a little "blue" loctite on the setscrew, so it doesnt fall out again!
Old 03-15-2010, 05:53 PM
rk345345

the spring and ball is Inthe two speed clutch? not the main engine clutch? I think thats mabey where I was getting confused.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:11 PM
Mickstix

Yea, the 2 speed clutch that's inside the transmission..