Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

After 3 years, I finally did it!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

After 3 years, I finally did it!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Freezetron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After 3 years, I finally did it!

Woooooo!!!! At long last, I have a Baja!!!!! After three freaking years of thinking about it, i've at long last done it! After deciding to get back into R/C after 12 year of absence back in Dec of 06 and going into with a Revo 3.3 and getting frustrated and burnt out from nitro ownership within a few months. Over a year later, I wanted to give RC another go and I still yearned deep down for a Baja, especially after learning about the new Baja 5T in early 09 when they first came out.

However, I again I didn't wish to spend that kind money and got hooked on the Lipo and brushless bandwagon promptly after seeing the new Savage Flux in action. After having my fill with Brushless lipo power through the summer of 09, I even decided to give RC helicopters a try with a Blade mSR and recently, the new SR. But I quickly found out I just didn't have the patience to learn and enjoy RC helicopters and after two attempts and decided it wasn't for me, it was more enjoyable for me to be on the ground and not worry about crashing and burning with every movement of the joystick.

Now, after 3 years of thinking, wishing, hoping, plotting, saving and basically impatiently waiting to the point where I couldn't wait anymore, I flashed out the good old Visa card to take care of that leftover "balance" at the LHS and now I"m gonna have a farking awesome weekend taking this baby out of the box, getting it all prepped up for its maiden drive!

A special thanks to all of you who have supported and giving me lots of information, tips and encouragment to see this come through and finally realized!

I can hardly keep my excitement contained just looking at inside my house, I can't imagine what it will be like when I hit the throttle for the first time!! Woooo!!!

Plus my kitty, Buzz has a new playhouse!

Old 03-12-2010, 08:12 PM
Steve.

Default RE: After 3 years, I finally did it!

Sweet, I sold a few cars in anticipation of getting a Baja and my wife got me a 5T for Christmas. I've been into RC for 25 years and have wanted something like a Baja for at least that long. Do yourself a favor and get one of these :

http://www.killerrc.com/products/pro...killswitch.php

Running without one is foolish... it is the best money you'll spend on your Baja.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Freezetron

I'll be placing an order for one next week, just didn't have the funds for everything. Just wanted to get the Baja in my house safe and sound!
Old 03-12-2010, 08:26 PM
clubin

Nice, FINALLY! LOL You are going to love that thing. So, what are your thoughts now that it is in your posession? You need to hit up Vertigo for some parts.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Croozer
My Feedback: (1)

Enjoy.

My first mod was a pipe.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:10 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

man u finally have it..no more backin out now heehhe
Old 03-13-2010, 01:34 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the fun side

Nice cat btw.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:07 AM
Sherv

Grats!!! I have a 5b SS coming soon too . Out of curiosity why did you hate nitro? I don't mind nitro, high maintenance but what I do hate is run times and fuel costs. Other than that nitros run and sound sweet >
Don't forget to buy the outerwear products!! Saves a lot of time cleaning and rebuilding shocks and your pull start
Old 03-13-2010, 09:21 AM
clubin

ORIGINAL: Sherv

Grats!!! I have a 5b SS coming soon too . Out of curiosity why did you hate nitro? I don't mind nitro, high maintenance but what I do hate is run times and fuel costs. Other than that nitros run and sound sweet >
Don't forget to buy the outerwear products!! Saves a lot of time cleaning and rebuilding shocks and your pull start
This is your first 5th scale rite? You will know why we all hate nitro after you fire up your b. LOL
Old 03-13-2010, 03:59 PM
IloveMYxt2

Congrats on the new child (I call my B my daughter)

And once you leave nitro and get a gasser or even electric, you will never go back to nitro.

Oh yeah, save up for a nice tuned pipe, a world of difference.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:55 AM
Freezetron

Woooo, man, what a project to take that thing down to nearly the frame for the first time! Spent 7 hours last night and 5 hours today on this sucker! Definently crap loads more parts then my Savage Flux with a bit more complexity. Finally got all the outerwears on so I shouldn't have to worry about my motor for a good long time.

So, on my first take down and working on the Baja, I've already come across a few things that stood out to me.

1. Freaking elastic outwears for air filter was a ***** to put on, shoulda gotten the drawstring one :cursing: Stock foam outside filter is a pain to keep on straight. Collar holder assembly was a complete ***** to take off due to stupid clip design, grrrr.... :censored:

2. Clutch assembly isn't as scary as a thought, but it's alot to keep track of when apart :*( I just left it alone this round.

3. SOB, those wheel hex nuts were on farking tight! I had to bang them loose with a hammer and hex remover and that took several tries and nearly an hour! I even tried a huge crescent wrench and only managed to mar the hex huts :censored: :glare:

4. Getting to the diff and out is a fair amount of work, I hope I don't have to go digging into that thing often. Good thing I checked it like everyone said to, it was pretty much empty except a light coating of oil. That alloy diff casing is huge!!!

5. Its easy and quick to take off the protection plates all over the chassis, thank god for body clips

6. The body clips attached to the rubber holders on the body shell are a farking godsend to put them on and off! The rubber seal also helps keep the body from getting scratched on the posts and from vibration, thank you HPI! :clap:

7. Stock exhaust gasket was utter junk, it completely ripped itself apart when I took the exhaust off. :glare: Had to scrap the remnants off with a knife. Installed a nice, new HD gasket, shouldn't have to worry about blowouts now.

8. Having to take the entire motor out to attach the outerwears crankcase filter was alot of work. I sure hope I don't need to do that very often....

9. Throttle linkage and servo needed some adjustments and no matter what I did, I can't get that throttle servo arm to be at a perfect 90 degree angle but after fiddling with it, it should be fine. First drive will confirm or deny this.

10. Following a pit tip I saw on RC Car Action, I cut the the flywheel outerwears near the pull start string hole so it would be easy to take off and on without having to undo/redo the pull starter knot every time. I put on some CA glue to keep the threads coming off but I forgot CA dries kinda white, owell....

11. Supplied goodies, oils, tools and what not outa the box were pretty useful and nice to have off hand. I think I will reuse the HPI 2 cycle oil bottle to accurately measure my synthetic oil for gas mixing, its quick and simple.

12. Radio box seems pretty cramped, dunno where I'm gonna put that killer Bee kill switch in there

13. The included RX battery charger sucks major, not even a damn LED for status of the charging not to mention slow as hell. That's gonna get upgraded promptly.

14. Shocks look pretty intimidating to take apart and rebuild. Sure hope the o-rings last for awhile, might get shock socks soon to help reduce wear and tear, I hate shock rebuilding

15. Pushing the RX wire through the antenna tube was a royal PITA. I spent over half an hour trying to get that damn thing in. 2.4ghz short antenna wire FTW.

16. I'm DEFINITELY gonna need that rotating Team Fast Eddy Baja stand, this thing is a bear to move around while I work on it.

Those are my initial first time noob thoughts and impression on my first hands on tear down of my new 5T! Was alot of work just to put on some filters, but I learned alot about the Baja design and now I'm more familiar with how to maintain it and take it apart while it was nice and clean. THe whole time I was working on it, I thought about the new color scheme/mods/parts/hop ups and even the trucks new name once im all done with it.

Ahhh crap, so this is the Baja bug i've been hearing about? Great....

Old 03-14-2010, 01:27 AM
magnum

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey looks just like mine I haven't broke mine down yet. Will probably do it this week since I snapped the front wheel off. At least only the C-Clip was lost. Where did you get the Outerwear? I am looking for those. I am considering a wire mesh insert though.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:43 AM
Freezetron

ORIGINAL: magnum

Hey looks just like mine I haven't broke mine down yet. Will probably do it this week since I snapped the front wheel off. At least only the C-Clip was lost. Where did you get the Outerwear? I am looking for those. I am considering a wire mesh insert though.
Got everything at Daves Discount Motors. I prefer the outerwears as it will keep everything but fine dust out, the mesh can still allow for small rocks into the flywheel assembly.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:13 AM
Sherv

Very nice! When I saw the vid on horsepower tv/powerblock of when they unpacked the 5b ss kit.. I was sold... Building a kit is so much fun. That 5t looks mighty nice
Old 03-14-2010, 09:30 AM
nothinbetr2do

congrats on getting your new t
Old 03-14-2010, 01:39 PM
magnum

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: IceWindius

ORIGINAL: magnum

Got everything at Daves Discount Motors. I prefer the outerwears as it will keep everything but fine dust out, the mesh can still allow for small rocks into the flywheel assembly.
Thanks I found them last night as well. Would be worth getting for now. I do have an idea I want to try out, if it works will post a picture

So has it been ran yet?

Old 03-14-2010, 03:14 PM
dc2 man
Banned

looks great man.

well ware with it.i like the 5t.

but at a glance why would you strip down the entire NEW car? [X(]

a lot of people seem to favour this idea but i think its not necessary at all.

everything should be right from the box and thread locked,hence why stuff you mentioned was tight and tough to remove.

good idea i guess on the crank outerwears alright.

but man lot of work on a new model.

i would have run it in to oblivion and then do all the mods when something gave hassle and needed a rebuild.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Freezetron

ORIGINAL: dc2 man

looks great man.

well ware with it.i like the 5t.

but at a glance why would you strip down the entire NEW car? [X(]

a lot of people seem to favour this idea but i think its not necessary at all.

everything should be right from the box and thread locked,hence why stuff you mentioned was tight and tough to remove.

good idea i guess on the crank outerwears alright.

but man lot of work on a new model.

i would have run it in to oblivion and then do all the mods when something gave hassle and needed a rebuild.

Because I

A: Had to check the diff to make sure their was oil in there as alot off peeps have been finding the 5Ts empty, like I did. Running an empty diffs = destroyed diff

B: I had to get the engine unmounted to install the outerwears crankcase cover.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:26 PM
Obeast44

Nice job IW, welcome to the largescale club

Smart move tearing it down and checking the diff and applying outerwears.