Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

!! Official !! Thunder T6 / AC6 Lipo Charger/Balancer Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

!! Official !! Thunder T6 / AC6 Lipo Charger/Balancer Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 08:20 PM
paedbo
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: !! Official !! Thunder T6 / AC6 Lipo Charger/Balancer Thread

I finally figured it out, hold the + and - at the same time and hold them down. I love this charger!!!! but the lipo balancing connector doesnt work with my thunder tiger pack.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:13 PM
Kenny4842

Just got my AC6 today, I love it so far. I have a few questions though. I figured out how to change from the Temp sensor to USB and use the software that can with it (I am assuming you can not use both the Temp and USB at the same time?). The only question I have is about saving the data, I tried to save the data for my first charge but I dont think it work. I hit save and was expecting to see a menu asking where to save the file, I didnt get anything so I thought OK maybe it just saved it in the "charger" folder, but I dont see it there either. Then I tried to search for the file type .EST but nothing. Did I do something wrong?
Old 07-29-2009, 09:16 PM
mentat
My Feedback: (1)

i was wondering that myself. I do recall that being an option, anyone else able to run in AUTO MODE with NIMH or NICAD?
Old 09-06-2009, 10:24 AM
jpetrarca4

if anyone can help me out that would be great, i bought this charger for my lipo packs and it works great,  i would like to also charge my aaa nimh loose batteries so i bought a battery pack i can plug all 4 into and charge as one,   they are 990mah and 1.25 volts a piece and im not sure what to set the settings at when im charging it, i know it has to charge at one amp  but when i start to charge it   it reads past 5 volts (1.25 volts a piece times 4 batteries should be 5 volts fully charged  and these batteries are dead)   so im not sure what im doing wrong.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:47 PM
mentat
My Feedback: (1)

u arent doing anything wrong, the voltage will be higher, its the same with other packs
Old 09-21-2009, 05:59 PM
Yank II

I just received my new Thunder AC6 and am having trouble making the computer work with the charger. The program loaded on the computer but no data seems to come from the charger. Any ideas?
Jim
Old 10-29-2009, 10:06 PM
redthoughts

i just ordered this charger and was wondering if the balancing board would work with ZIPPY and TURNIGY battery packs?
Old 11-04-2009, 10:25 AM
ciscovet

I have this charger and use turnigy and zippy lipos - no problem w/ balancing board
Old 12-10-2009, 04:05 PM
martin3737

Hi Guys,

Other than the size and the included AC adapter, is there any other differences between the Thunder T6 and the Thunder AC6?

Thanks!
Old 12-20-2009, 10:38 AM
Bigbangtheory

Just got my AC6, but I have yet to dig into it.

One question is, do I need to buy some type of adaptor for my NiMH batteries to work with this? All my batteries are TRX plugs and I don't have a clue how to solder.....I am sure it isn't rocket science, but trying to keep this simple.

I did get the Trx female connector. Would that work? Sorry, new to this hobby, so be easy, lol!

Just watched some video's of it and seems most are Deans plugs.....just wondering what I need to make my TRX plugs work...if it is possible.

Thanks for any help.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:32 PM
rc12ls

Yes, that is the same problem I had and I live chatted with HobbyPartz and they just disconnected. I have a 5000mah 2s Lipo. When I first got my AC6 it would charge at 5amps. When 8.4volts was reached the charger slowly lowered the amps from 5amps to 0amps while holding 8.4volts. That is the way a Lipo charger is suppose to work. Like I said, when I first got the AC6 ,it did. After a few months I noticed my Lipo pack slightly puffed. I checked the charging cycle again and now the charger hit 8.4 Max volt drops amps from 5amps to 3amps and then let the voltage go up(not a good thing!!!!). The voltage is never suppose to go above 8.4 volt. Now, that the unit is out of warranty and HobbyPartz wont communicate with me on the problem. So,now, when the AC6 hit 8.4volts and drops to 3amps I stop the charging and reset the charge rate at 3amps and then the charge drops to 0amps holding 8.4volts. or PASTE your text here...
Old 01-20-2010, 09:48 PM
jim34

I got one today and I'm trying to charge a 8-cell 9.6v 350mAh NiMH. I put the charger to it's lowest setting 0.1a since the battery says to charge 40ma. It was going fine for 120 minutes and then the timer went off. I didn't know what to do so I cut it off and started it again. The charge capacity restarted at zero. How do I know when it is charged?
Old 01-21-2010, 08:49 AM
ciscovet

There is a setting to change the timer.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:29 PM
jim34

Yeah I didn't look at it that much, but let me ask you if the charge capacity reads 350, does that mean that the battery in this case a 350mAh is charged?
Old 02-03-2010, 12:05 PM
HEMICUDA

I don't have much experience with this but...120 minutes! For a 350mah batt! Wow! That is may too long.

I finally broke out my Thunder AC6 last night, which I've had for 3 months now. Charged 3 batts,
all ni-mh 1100mah. After finally figured out the menu, all were charged at 1.1A and ranged from 3.8-5.23 v
starting voltage before hitting the charger. They sat since the beginning of last summer and I guess the mah
stays but the voltage drops over time. Anyway all charged at around 10v give or take and between 65 and
250 ma were put back into the batts. Amazingly the were all fully charged in 12-16 minutes each and came
off the charger at 9.56 and 9.64 volts. When I charged them with the slow charger that came with my RTF
plane, they would take around a hour and would come off the charger with a higher voltage, around 9.8
or more, but this voltage would drop down to 9.6 or so by the time they got into the plane. so so farall
seems well. I have yet to charge any lipo's as flying season is still far away...ordered skis,by the time
they came in the snow was gone.[&o] Will keep you updated when i do some lipo's and will do some of my
3000 mah ni-mh too.

Thanks, keep posting
Hemicuda
Old 02-05-2010, 04:11 PM
geneace75

I am thinking of getting the AC6 for my Nimh batteries but I have one question.  Does anyone know if this is capable of charging 2 Nimh batteries at once?  I have a SuperBrain 969 but want to get another charger and like the looks and features of this one.  Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:48 PM
consultant

I just got an AC6. When charging NiMH in Auto mode on a 6-cell (7.2v) batter the voltage reading is much higher at 8.4 and it backs off to 0 A for a few seconds then ramps back up when the voltage drops. Is this normal? Is it just because the pack may already be fully charged? I forgot if it was charged or not.

Also, if I want to 'refresh' the batter by doing a discharge->charge cycle, I assume set discharge rate to 1.0A? But what should the final voltage setting be set at?

Old 03-18-2010, 03:35 PM
keithtsr
My Feedback: (3)

Quick question or two, where do you get different balance boards for this charger. I run different lipos with different balance connectors. Ok maybe just one question.
Thanks
Old 04-14-2010, 02:44 PM
[email protected]

My Thunder AC6 lasted just over the ridiculously short warranty period of 30 days from Hobbypartz. Very rude customer service. Needless to say I will not be ordering anything from them again.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:41 PM
bustanut666

to check the cells of a lipo... do i actually need to start charging the battery?? or can i just plug it in and push some magic button to see how much juice is left in the cells??
Old 11-28-2010, 11:08 AM
ITS ME DAVID

^ no u need to plug it on and start charging then u can see how many volts are in each cell.

I have a question I charge a nimh 8.4v and a lipo 3s 5000mah battery. How do I know when there fully charged. I charge the lipo till the volts are @ 12.6v and I charge the nimh till the volts are 10.5. Is this correct when the charger it's those volts it doesn't stop charging it keeps going so I stop it manually because I'm afraid Of overcharging and I have the ac6.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:12 PM
guys2nv

ORIGINAL: ITS ME DAVID

^ no u need to plug it on and start charging then u can see how many volts are in each cell.

I have a question I charge a nimh 8.4v and a lipo 3s 5000mah battery. How do I know when there fully charged. I charge the lipo till the volts are @ 12.6v and I charge the nimh till the volts are 10.5. Is this correct when the charger it's those volts it doesn't stop charging it keeps going so I stop it manually because I'm afraid Of overcharging and I have the ac6.

It should beep when their done charging. Atleast the skycharger B6AC does (Pretty much the same thing as the AC6). Although it does take awhile to beep b/c the charge amps drop all the way 0.0 and jump up to 0.1-0.3 amp but it should beep when their full-Balance charge your lipo at 5.0 amps and just let it go till it beeps-takes mine (3s 5000mah) about 70 min (The charger WILL NOT overcharge the batt w/ the right settings b/c its microprocessor controlled). Also you can switch the display to show each cell's voltage ovb. they should all show 4.2V per cell.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:28 PM
ITS ME DAVID

Yea i do that they all say 4.2 but it's still charging I'm afraid if I let it continue it will overcharge and damage my
Battery.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:26 PM
bkmm44

First Thunder AC6 lasted about three months, after a long discussion with CS online, they replaced it for free. First failure was showing a racial slurr for an error code, which has happened to a few others.

Second AC6 lasted just over four months, now the touch pad wont respond, and Hobbypartz is not going to help with this one, so I took it apart, made a jumper with a pin on one end, and a alligator clip on the other. After about 10 minutes of trial and error and figuring out which pins do what, I can charge my lipos again.

Not a high quality unit, as the price would dictate, but it should sure as hell last longer that 3-4 months at a pop.......
Old 12-14-2010, 01:14 PM
downtown0309

Just got my AC6. When charging my 8.4v 3000mah Nimh pack, it kept charging past 3000mah. I stopped it in fear of damaging the battery. I thought htis was like a peak charger and would stop when the battery is fully charged. What am I doing wrong?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.