Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

!! Official !! Thunder T6 / AC6 Lipo Charger/Balancer Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

!! Official !! Thunder T6 / AC6 Lipo Charger/Balancer Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 07:30 PM
mentat
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !! Official !! Thunder T6 / AC6 Lipo Charger/Balancer Thread

Just picked up this charger at Nitro Planes. Gotta say for the price this charger is exceptional. Only trouble i am having is getting the USB working. the drivers do not want to work in VISTA no surprise there. I find this to be one of the best chargers i have ever owned. I was using a MRC Super Brian 969 Pro. This charger is better i think. For the price you just can beat it. does anyone know how to resolve the issue with the USB drivers?

Old 05-09-2009, 07:08 AM
jrock0012

Default RE: !! Official !! Thunder T6 Lipo Charger/Balancer Thread

I've actually got the Thunder Ac 6 on the way and im pretty sure they are the same charger, other then the AC cord. But back to your question, I've read that other people are having the same problem, and I think people were resolving it by changing the output from Temp sensor to USB. The USB port is also used for the optional Temp sensor and is set for it from the factory. Again I still have not tried it myself, but this is what I hear fixes the problem , hope this helps
Old 05-10-2009, 12:53 AM
mentat

Ah, ill need to try that! thanks for the info!
Old 05-15-2009, 08:08 PM
Belemnoid

Mine arrived today. I'm a noob to RC flying and this is my first charger other than the stock charger that came with the plane.
I'm still using NiMh batteries with the default Tamiya connectors on my 3 packs. I'm ordering a couple more and sticking with the Tamiyas for now.

Now to the question - the Thunder comes with several adapters but none for the Tamiya. The plane came with an extra wired female connector. Can I just remove the connector from one of the adapters that came with it and replace it with the Tamiya? Is that the best solution? I figured using the alligator clips on the extra connector would be a bad idea as the leads could touch if I wasn't careful.
And if replacing one of the connectors is ok which one should I scrap? I don't know which of the included adapters I'll want to save for the day I move on to lipos.

Thx for any help.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:04 AM
RCman33

I think the thunder only supports deans connectors. Thats just by the pictures so i can't tell you for sure
Old 05-16-2009, 01:18 AM
mentat

use any connector you want, there are a lot of converters u can get to out there, or just do some soldering.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:50 AM
jrock0012

+1 ^ I also have the Ac 6 and am still using Nimh, I just converted everything to deans with a little soldering, and they are also much better then the Tamiya connections. If you don't want to convert just use a Tamiya to Deans addaptor
Old 05-16-2009, 10:53 AM
sims5hd
My Feedback: (2)

sorry to barge in on your guys chat ,just have a quick question. I see your talking about the ac6 charger it looks like a good one to me. i'm just getting into rtr boats and wondering is this charger capable of larger lipo batts like 5200mah 2s1or2p 7.4v 25c or maybe even larger ,just curious? thanx for your time.

RICK
Old 05-16-2009, 01:41 PM
jrock0012

ORIGINAL: sims5hd

sorry to barge in on your guys chat ,just have a quick question. I see your talking about the ac6 charger it looks like a good one to me. i'm just getting into rtr boats and wondering is this charger capable of larger lipo batts like 5200mah 2s1or2p 7.4v 25c or maybe even larger ,just curious? thanx for your time.

RICK

I think for the price it's a great charger. I'm charging 4600 Nimh batteries right now at 4.6amps and it takes about an hour to put about 3500mah back in. I soon will be getting some Zippy 2s 20c 5000mah lipos and im sure that this charger will handle them no problem. The max charge rate is 5amps which I think is plenty, and even if it would charge at a higher rate I probably wouldn't exceed 5amps. It can also handle up to 6s. The only complaint that I have is that there is no internal fan so the unit gets a little hot, but other then that it's a great charger.

Old 05-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Belemnoid

Default RE: !! Official !! Thunder T6 / AC6 Lipo Charger/Balancer Thread

Ok, I get it now.  The connectors are deans (read about them but never seen one) and it comes with several adapters but not deans to tamiya.  I'll go pick one up today.  Thanks all.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:53 PM
mentat

there is an internal fan in the T6
Old 05-16-2009, 06:59 PM
Belemnoid

Ok, I got the parts and made myself an adapter. One day I'll get proficient at soldering....but that day is not today.

So on to charging. From reading the Chinglish manual it seems that I just select my charge rate and go. But something confused me when I tried. I put in my stock Supercub battery, a 7 cell 8.4V 100uAh Nimh and chose 1A to be conservative. But when Istarted the charge the display reads ~9.6V in the "battery voltage" area. Shouldn't this read 8.4A, or am Iconfused?
Old 05-16-2009, 09:39 PM
jrock0012

As the battery is charging the voltage will fluctuate. When I charge one of my dead 7.2v 4600mah the voltage of the battery starts off around 7.8v, and when fullly charged it will read as much as 9.2v. But once the battery is taken off the charger that voltage will decrease to anywhere from 8.1v to 8.6v, hopes this helps.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:15 PM
Belemnoid

Thanks, I ran them and they seemed to have charged just fine.

One last question - the manual says not to charge a battery that's "full or slightly discharged".  Does that mean that if I charge them and don't fly that I shouldn't top them off the next day after they lose ~10% overnight?
Old 05-18-2009, 05:00 PM
jrock0012

I don't know if they are talking about lipo's, I don't have any experience with them yet , but I top off my Nimh cells all the time, I'm pretty sure they don't have a memory so you should be able to charge them whenever.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:30 PM
mentat

So anyone had any issues with this charger as of yet? Its been charging my Chinese 2s1p 25c 3000mAh lipos like a champ @ 3 AMPS since i got it ZERO issues.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:11 PM
jrock0012

ORIGINAL: mentat

So anyone had any issues with this charger as of yet? Its been charging my Chinese 2s1p 25c 3000mAh lipos like a champ @ 3 AMPS since i got it ZERO issues.
No problems as of yet. Other then the fact that it gets a little hot, I temped it at 140f on the outside shell of the charger. I'm charging 2 Chinese 2s 5000mah 20c batteries one right after eachother. These batteries are actually really great for $80 bucks shipped of ebay, I'm actually putting 5500mah back into them which I thought was pretty good. They are E-fly batteries and they are sold by JNS.INC, if anybody is interested

Old 07-03-2009, 08:19 PM
5lagd

Hey all
I have a Thunder T6 and just bought a Thunderpower lipo. The balancing tab on the battery doesnt fit in the external balancing circuit board of the charger. Its only a 2cell lipo. Do iI need to balance it or buy an adapter, if so which one?
thx
Old 07-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Zijji

mentat

I just bought the AC6 Thunder and had two problems.

1. Upon powering it up for the first time I noticed that on the top line of words, the bottom row of pixels did not work. The bottom pixel of each letter was missing. After a few minutes the row of pixels started to work but would then would come and go.

2. Where you plug the 120 volt AC cord into the side of the unit there are three pins. Hot, neutral and ground. When I unplugged the cord from the charger, for the first time, the grounding pin came out with the cord. Now the charger cannot be properly grounded.

Luckily the supplier went against their own policy on returns (impressed) and will take it back for a full refund.

My first 5 minutes with this unit did not leave me impressed with the quality of the unit but I still like all the features.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:32 PM
mentat

Zijji, i am sorry that you have had some problems with the charger. I have had mine for about 3 months and use it daily. No problems. I did notice when charging Lipo packs that the AMPS move up and down, but im told this is normal for any good charger.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:01 PM
5lagd

ORIGINAL: DonnyNitro

Hey all
I have a Thunder T6 and just bought a Thunderpower lipo. The balancing tab on the battery doesnt fit in the external balancing circuit board of the charger. Its only a 2cell lipo. Do iI need to balance it or buy an adapter, if so which one?
thx
Found an adapter so no more problems.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Gelo_USA

hey guys.. I have the ac6 i use for lipos for my airplanes but I m trying to use it for nimh too how should i set it up??
its a 1400mah 8.4v how do I change the max temp and max time and max mah setting?
Old 07-27-2009, 04:13 PM
Gelo_USA

hey.. me again... I lost my cd... can anyone upload the software for me or jst give me a link where I can get it.... thanks...
Old 07-27-2009, 04:47 PM
mentat

i will look around for the software, i too lost mine. To change the settings u wanted, its under the user options. Lipos, should not be getting warm while chargine, unless u are talking about nihm
Old 07-29-2009, 04:06 PM
paedbo
My Feedback: (2)

Can someone please tell me how to change the auto/manual feature on charging nimh and nicad, i am getting confused with the manual as it doesnt show how to set it to AUTO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.