Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Can a simulator truly teach you how to fly?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Can a simulator truly teach you how to fly?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 08:03 AM
roaddog2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Can a simulator truly teach you how to fly?

I sure as Hl HOPE so! I've got several hundred hrs. on my ol' G-2.5 an' can fly it pretty well. Now I'm on a computer that won't run it, so when th' Wx breaks, I'm off to th' field w/my trainer t' see for sure. 'Won't risk my 3 scale ships 'til I know f' SURE, tho'. Mom only raised one fool, an' we sent him off to th' Navy. :O)
RD
Old 03-06-2010, 05:51 PM
kochj

LOL...

I fly my G4.5 sim soo much that I have completely worn out the
controller.....and I have replaced springs and other parts that have
broke....and other make shift fixes that gets it up and running....

Never could figure out Why in the Bleep, does Futaba use Plastic Pegs
instead of meatal for the cantileavers that center the sticks with springs...

If this breaks like mine have, just take apart and drill out broken plastic and
insert a metal rod ( 1/10th scale pins) and glue with CA.....

I might upgrade, just so I get a new controller....
Mine has issues when you switch from HIgh to Low rates it
changes the Elevator trim....This is even after perfroming calibration....

I am sure that it is due to me fixing the parts and it holds the elevator gimbal slightly UP ele...
one would think that the callibration would fix it....
Does it even when I use my REAL flying controler hooked up....

peace...
Old 03-06-2010, 08:26 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Zilla, first, welcome to RCU and feel free to keep the questions coming.

As for Simulators, imagine you were trying to teach someone to drive a car with a simulator. This person is from a third-world country who had never seen a car, bicycle, riding lawn mower, etc. Someone to whom even the concept of a steering wheel is foreign.

The Sim would be a very valuable tool for teaching him how to turn the wheel to make the car turn, or how how hard to apply the gas or break pedal. You can see how beneficial this tool would be.

But it doesn't teach him to look over his shoulder before changing lanes, or to pull over when he hears sirens.

So for those who are learning to fly, I HIGHLY recommend getting a Sim, but the Sim is so you can do your homework after spending a day flying with your instructor.
Well, when flying RC, do NOT look over your shoulder, keep your eye fixed on the plane at all times. Look ahead of the aircraft too. I hope you land fast if you do hear sirens too. Sims do a lot more than turn the wheel these days. Physics are very real in the Nexstar simulators I've recommended to beginners, for example. I parted out a Nexstar RTF kit and kept the simulator and used it to teach many students to have a successful first day flying the real thing. They didn't have any incidents going solo in my experience and it saved me a lot of weekends on the buddy cord with them. Unless you live near NASA as I do, you probably wouldn't recognize all astronauts that learned to fly the Shuttle successfully learned on a Sim, and other aircraft as well.
They do not have an instructor on a buddy cord, but he teaches them with a sim. Even modern schools of aviation use simulators as a teaching tool in our area, extensively. It's a very modern tool that has it's place, and in many ways, it's an advantage to use it before a day at the field.

What Sim doesn't teach you are;
pre-flight checks,
prop safety,
range testing your equipment,
and other things outside of stick control, orientation, and landing.

You can practice recovering from stalls, flying in wind, hovering, greasing in your landings, and with nothing getting in the way like an instructors patience, sunset, fuel on hand, giving others the runway, etc.

One thing to keep in mind, all the Shuttle crashes were due to equipment failure.
That is something you'll learn to deal with in RC as well.
A failed clevis or servo can ruin a $500 airplane in a blink of an eye.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:27 PM
twn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know what y guys are using yer sims on but I'm using g4.5 on my 47" lcd at 1080P via HDMI. All eye candy is on. All I can say is WOW!! I sit about 5 feet from it and it feels so real. It is amazing!

Yes as minflyer says the sim can let u practice lots. 20 minutes here and there really makes a differance in flying. I know guys that between the field and the sim at home have there hands on the sticks 365 days of the year.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:34 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always preached that sims have their place. This winter, mine has gotten a lot of use. About 15 to 30 minutes each day just to keep the fingers limbered up, but also to teach myself a few new moves and to just keep the old muscle memory in check.

They have their use and I agree, to a point, that they are a good teaching tool. But, there is nothing like being at the field, with an instructor, with your TX connected to a buddy box and getting some real intensive instruction and serious stick time. Absolutely nothing like it.

Yep, the Sim is a good thing, great to keep on top of things, but not a tool for beginners to use exclusively, and no replacement for the real thing.

CGr.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:36 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: twn

This is my bud and instructor: (who btw was influential the tips above)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYwe6IC5nrI[/youtube]

is that a four cylinder engine in that plane?
Old 03-06-2010, 10:14 PM
twn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Extra 330, 4 cylinder 3w 212cc. She is 44 lbs and is a balistic missle. space shuttle blastout... I believe Stacy said she was hand crafted in Switzerland, not totaly shure of the place but definately out of canada and usa some place. Only about 50 were made so if he ever wrecks a part they aren't directly replacable...[X(]

Old 03-09-2010, 12:41 PM
ndb8fxe

My advice for a person in your position is to skip the trainer and get an intermediate airplane. I would recommend the Big Stik 40 with a TT .45 pro or an OS 45AX. Use an instructor untill you are comfortable. With use of the throttle and conservative control throws this setup is very doscile, durable, slow landing, and good for a first plane. Crank up the throws and you can do advanced aerobatics with it.

Even with many many years of RC experience I still love flying the stik.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:51 PM
P-Y

I used a simulator for months before to join a club and to do my 1st "real" flight.
The first day I was excited and confident. My instructor let me take off and land my plane and I got my "wings" after 3 days of instrauction.
I think it's easier to fly in the real life than on a simulator, except that you don't have that reset button. You have a better perception of the distances.

P-Y
Old 03-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Idasam

I must say, it totally depends on the person. I flew my simulator for a long time before I actually flew for the first time, which just happened to be this past Sunday the 7th. I purchased a used Skydancer from one of the other long time members of our club. He builds good and flies good, he's more or less a veteran. My Avistar, that had I planned on being my first plane was still being built. So I met the him out there and we got set up on a buddy box. He got the plane in the air and checked it out, got it trimmed and all that good stuff. Then he handed control over to me; I had flown my G 4.5 for a long time so I knew what to expect. I was flying! I flew it around for about 9 mins. and he brought it back in and landed it. While we where refueling it, I told him that I wanted to solo. He asked my if I was sure about that? I said "yes". So we started her up, did a pre-flight and I taxied out, gave it throttle and it was airborne in a few seconds. I didn't want to bother with aerobatics, so I immediately came around for a touch and go. I brought her around, lined her up as best as I could and landed her like a champ. I did that for ten minutes. I made 6 more ten minute flights that day, all solo. I got my wings right then and there. Now, I'm not one to blow my own horn, but the "old" guys standing behind me couldn't believe what they were seeing. They were amazed that, that was my first time flying. I told them that what they were seeing was a result of a damn good simulator. The fellow that was helping me build me Avistar, told me that he had nearly 200 hours on his sim. and had trouble his first few times up. So it does depend on the person too. Can a simulator teach you to fly? Absolutely, yes it can. The principles are all the same.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:30 PM
ES CONTROL

Old timers.             The trainer days are over. Welcome to the new generation.            Computers!
Old 03-10-2010, 05:57 PM
foosball_movie

I trained on a G5 sim for several weeks and soloed my first RC flight. My landings were awful and I mowed some grass, but no damage. Once it is in the air, it is very close to the sim.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:28 AM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

ORIGINAL: Idasam

I must say, it totally depends on the person. I flew my simulator for a long time before I actually flew for the first time, which just happened to be this past Sunday the 7th. I purchased a used Skydancer from one of the other long time members of our club. He builds good and flies good, he's more or less a veteran. My Avistar, that had I planned on being my first plane was still being built. So I met the him out there and we got set up on a buddy box. He got the plane in the air and checked it out, got it trimmed and all that good stuff. Then he handed control over to me; I had flown my G 4.5 for a long time so I knew what to expect. I was flying! I flew it around for about 9 mins. and he brought it back in and landed it. While we where refueling it, I told him that I wanted to solo. He asked my if I was sure about that? I said ''yes''. So we started her up, did a pre-flight and I taxied out, gave it throttle and it was airborne in a few seconds. I didn't want to bother with aerobatics, so I immediately came around for a touch and go. I brought her around, lined her up as best as I could and landed her like a champ. I did that for ten minutes. I made 6 more ten minute flights that day, all solo. I got my wings right then and there. Now, I'm not one to blow my own horn, but the ''old'' guys standing behind me couldn't believe what they were seeing. They were amazed that, that was my first time flying. I told them that what they were seeing was a result of a damn good simulator. The fellow that was helping me build me Avistar, told me that he had nearly 200 hours on his sim. and had trouble his first few times up. So it does depend on the person too. Can a simulator teach you to fly? Absolutely, yes it can. The principles are all the same.
In general, the average beginner can do this.

I don't know who would be difficult to land or take off in a trainer, but maybe it's the plane's balance or other factor you
didn't get briefed on in a sim if you do fail.

Speaking of blowing horns, basically all you have to do is watch someone drive their car, if everyone is blowing the horn at them,
they're not going to fly RC well either. Thanks for helping me with that analogy.
There are guys that are on their 10th year trying to master a trainer down here in Retirement Land, just east of Orlando.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:42 PM
glasrep

pick up a 40 sized ultra stick, will land like a trainer, but still take you well into your new experience
Old 03-20-2010, 07:52 PM
Carpilot

As someone who is 100% self taught, I will say that they are a useful tool but that is about it. The most useful thing about them is the problem some newbies have with orientation..which way to move the sticks when flying towards you vs away from you, while a left turn is always a left turn newbies sometimes have trouble with that, I have seen simulators help several people with that problem in short order. I think just because it is so easy to get "stick time" with them.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:44 PM
optimax

I flew my g5 simulator for about 3 months ordered a nitroplane's 60 size trainer. Flew the plane on my own and landed it with no instructor burned a gallon of fuel. Next trip out the the local flying field flew as a guest flew 2 times that day wind was at least 25 mph gusty flew and landed with no problems. Next trip to field no one around real gusty flew for about 30 min total doing touch and go's in crosswinds had a couple of not so good landings but no damage. Not many people would fly in that weather but If you do not learn to deal with it you will not get any better than to wait for Ideal conditions. I rigged a plane that was given to me by someone called the sig Kavilier. I have a supertiger 45 up front with a 10x6 prop this thing screams. I flew this plane for 3 days so far. I do not know any manuvers I was trying to make them up as I flew. All I can say is that The simulator has done a great job helping me develope my basic flying skills. Some of the club members asked me today(how long have you been flying). A buddy of mine is doing the exact same thing he is flying and landing with no problems also. There is no doubt it works.

I was talking to one of the more experienced flyers at the field. He told me If you have confidence in yourself and your equipment do not worry about the wind. Go and fly the dam thing. If you do not do it you will never learn on how to deal with it. That day everyone was just standing around just talking. Me and the experienced guy were flying. After I got the plane in the air he just said man you got it I'm gonna fly mine. I have take what he said to heart.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:15 PM
Mikecam

I also taught myself with a sim. It went a long way to teaching me the sticks with the plane coming at me. It does depend on the individual.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:19 PM
armody
My Feedback: (10)

I used the SIM which came with my first P 51 Mustang PTS. It gave me great experience to feel the gimbals as well as FMS helped me a lot. When it came down to flying the real thing, way different and lil bit difficult though. I started flying gradually on my high wing trainer, and one day just like that, I always had somebody to take my plane off and then hand me the controller. One day there was nobody to help me out, I took that thing into the air though it was pretty much VT (vertical take off) but that gave me pretty good idea, how much elevetor needs to be pushed to take this plane airborne. I have 5 years experience of flying, and I still don't consider myself expert.

Some people can handle and take the plane right out to the field and fly it without having it crashed, after having few months practice on SIM, they are really talented, but I would not take any kinda risk on my plane. I have to test flight this Sunday my Escapade with Magnum 46XLS on it, it's a fast flying plane, but I would do that, as I learned one thing when you make any mistake which could be fatal to your plane, how to recover your plane, I have saved my planes, made mistakes and recovered it, that gives me enough confidence that I can handle fast flying planes.

Anyway all the best to you who started the threat

Happy flying

Mody
Old 04-05-2010, 12:58 AM
Srewinkel

Here you get the people saying you MUSt have an instructor, And you MUST join a club... are they getting kick backs??  I built a trainer, and tried to fly, and crashed shortly after take off, fixed, and crashed, fixed and crashed.  Got upset, and quit for awhile, then fixed and crashed.  They I got the real flight sim..  played with it for two days, fixed the plane, and went flying.  flew the plane til it was out of gas, and landed deadstick. So yes a sim can teach you how to fly.  
You here about the bad habits a sim can teach you, but these same bad habits can also be learned from an instructor.  You take your palne to the fiel, the instructor checks it, tunes the engine, and you attach with a cord, and off you go..  How do you learn about rudder control?? every time instructor fells the need he takes control, the student doesn't know that moment, so the student assume that he/she made the correct things to save the plane... 

I honestly believe that you can be a VERY successful pilot by using a sim, and reading forums, instructions, and stories.  You get the muscle memory form sims, and you learn the tuning, and preflight setup from forums, and post
i agree with those that say you should start with a good low wing plane or a stick.  Dont think you can fly a Yak because you do it good on a sim.  Good luck in what ever you decide, and always remember to have fun.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:20 AM
armody
My Feedback: (10)

Sorry for writing threat, it's thread

Well, Every individual has their own brains, their own thoughts, their own pockets and their own money. It depends upon that person regardless of age, whatever he or she wants with his or her trainer, SIM or anything they may have, their is no stopping on them and they go ahead and do. As far as kick backs are concerned, if I was getting any, I would not be bothered by now looking for a job every day in my computer field. As all members say yes, instructor is necessary, it cannot be but yes AMA membership is mandatory too, but AMA does not offer any kick back. I shared my experience how I learned.

Everybody is free to make their own decisions and learn their own way through SIM and then hitting the field, or just by reading the instructions and hitting the field. As nobody needs anybody's permission so good luck and happy flying.

Last thing to say. There is no short cut of experience.

Mody
Old 04-05-2010, 11:40 AM
ShaneLittle

I hadn't flown in 15yrs until yesterday. I got the Nexstar for 180 with the G2 software. I'll admit, I was kinda cocky when I started the sim, thinking I'd be a 'natural' after so long. WRONG! I burned that poor plane in so many time, and then it clicked, sorta. I went out to the field testerday and soloed on my 3rd flight. Without the G2 software there is no way I'd have done it. I was doing loops and rolls etc. Coming in on my right shoulder is easier than the left, but G2 is helping me work those bugs out. I vote for the sims. Although it is different in real life the basics are there for you if you care to grab them.