Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

San Antonio field?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

San Antonio field?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 07:04 PM
M3S6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default San Antonio field?

Hi

I am moving to San Antonio, TX in a week or so and need some place to fly. I have both electrics and giant scale. Any Texans out there that can recommend a field?? Thanks!
Old 05-10-2010, 07:45 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: San Antonio field?

Not sure exactly where in San Anotnio you will be moving to, east of San Antonio is Kingsbury http://www.tricityflyers.com/ also go to the Dist VIII AMA Website here http://www.ama-dist-8.org/Clubs/clublisttx.html

Hope this helps.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Muroc1

Lucky you. I lived in SA for 6 years and really enjoyed it.

Frank
Old 05-10-2010, 08:24 PM
M3S6

I'll be on the West side, just outside of 1604, about 10 minutes away from Lackland, AFB.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:48 PM
wb5ziy

ORIGINAL: M3S6

Hi

I am moving to San Antonio, TX in a week or so and need some place to fly. I have both electrics and giant scale. Any Texans out there that can recommend a field?? Thanks!
Check with the guys at 2nd Chance Hobbies in Universal City (just outside of Randolph AFB) they have all of the info on all of the clubs in the SA area.
Most of the giant scale guys fly at River City and Kingsbury. River City is about 30 minutes from your area, Kingsbury is at least an hour, but a great place to fly. Electric stuff is all over town and indoor electric is on Wednesday nights at the Catholic church in Selma. Many great modlers and places to fly here in SA.

Jack
Old 05-12-2010, 06:03 AM
M3S6

Thanks.

Do you know which is a better field?
Old 05-12-2010, 02:02 PM
wb5ziy

ORIGINAL: M3S6

Thanks.

Do you know which is a better field?
Kingsbury is the nicer of the two but I have been flying at River City since we opened it in 1984 (it is only 10 minutes from home). River City is by a flood control lake so we can float fly as well. Go here http://www.tricityflyers.com/index.php to see about Kingsbury.

Jack
Old 05-15-2010, 07:35 PM
edwarda10pilot
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

M3S6:
You have a number of options. Depends on how far you want to drive and what kind of runway you prefer. Many of us in the area are members of more than one club. On the west side you will have the Alamo Radio Control Society (ARCS) and have a paved runway. They have a field in the southwest part of the metroplex (near 1604 and Hwy 90 west). There is also Propbusters (believe they are now located on the southside of town near 1604 and east of I-35). There is a club north of the city in Kerrville (don't know the name). As mentioned previously, on the east side there is the River City club that flies at a field (grass runway) on the south east side (at 1604 and I-10). They have a lake and you can float fly as well as fly land aircraft. The last club I know of is Tri City Fliers. They have two fields. One is at the aforementoned Kingsbury TX. site. This is a wonderful grass runway (about 800' by maybe 50'). We also have access to a USAF auxilary field on the weekends. This site is used during the week by the Randolph air force base pilots for touch and go's (sic) but is available on weekends. The runway is about 50' wide and about 1500' of usable asphalt. As menitoned, contact 2nd Chance Hobbies at (210) 945-8221. I work there part time and can help if you like. You can PM me or you can stop by the shop when you get to town and we will be glad to help. Welcome to the city and any of the clubs would welcome you.

Ed
P.S. I belong to Tri City and River City.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:05 AM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: edwarda10pilot

M3S6:
You have a number of options. Depends on how far you want to drive and what kind of runway you prefer......

There is a club north of the city in Kerrville (don't know the name).
Ed
The club in Kerrville is the Kerrville R/C Flyers (KR/CF); I'm a member. We have a 700' grass runway on reclaimed land at the city's landfill, off of Loop 534. However, Kerrville is 65 miles NW of SA. Takes about an hour to get up here from SA on IH-10. Any AMA member wants to come up and fly, let me know.

CR