Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Engine Conversions
Reload this Page >

another darn ryobi post (ryobi performance modification, analysis and comparison)

Community
Search
Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

another darn ryobi post (ryobi performance modification, analysis and comparison)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 08:45 AM
combatpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: another darn ryobi post (ryobi performance modification, analysis and comparison)

The only thing I see with your flywheel, that may be a concern. It appears that you buffed the center of the flywheel. Thats the area that your prop adapter will ride. If that area is not true it may cause your prop adapter to not run true and vibration may result.
Yea if you sanded the center section your definatly gona need to true it up now. I dont know what kind of prop adapter your using but they one I am using is the stud that screws onto the shaft as mine is a short shaft engine. when it comes up tight against the flywheel if it is not concentric it will push the shaft of to one side so when it rotates it will look like the shaft has a wobble to it.

We found that merely chucking up the flywhel in a lathe and cutting the fins of and facing the center section did not ensure a concentric cut either. this is due to the fact that the back of the casting where is sets in the chuck is not concentric to the tapered hole.

Ok so what we did to get everything back in line was to take an old crankshaft and knock the counerweights off the shaft. what you have left is a shaft with the taper on one end where theflywheel mounts. install the flywheel on the shaft then chuck it up in the lathe. leave it sticking out far enough where you can face off the back side of the flywheel. once the backside is faced off the shaft can be removed and the flywheel chucked up in the lathe with the back up against the chuck face and all will be concentric when you face off the fins and center section of the flywheel.

I undestand you dont have a lathe. you still may need to have this done. check the local community college. they may have a machinist program where they can do that for you. usually it is no charge as they just need the practice.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:48 AM
combatpilot

Default RE: another darn ryobi post (ryobi performance modification, analysis and comparison)

Oh yea i also flew my ultra spad stick yesterday. my ignition seems to have an intermittent point where it cuts out every so often for a second or two. dosent seem to affect performance but it is damn annoying. I really dont think it is carburation problems. it could be i guess. maybee its not getting enough fuel. oh yea it seems it only does it at full throttle.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:27 AM
cutarug

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have test run a new ryobi with very little time on it with bowman ,cd ignition 150 timing and found that it has a knock or looseness in the rod when it is flicked and also at slow rpm when running.
Is this normal until it develops more compression. I am running it in with mineral oil at 40:1 (Castrol2t) is this enough oil.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:18 PM
jjcollett

I'm looking for a magneto for my Ryobi 31cc. Jacks Small Engines wants $47.00 for a new one. Someone out there that converted to electronic has one laying in a box that they would sell cheap, I'm sure.

John
Old 06-11-2010, 06:59 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: cutarug

I have test run a new ryobi with very little time on it with bowman ,cd ignition 150 timing and found that it has a knock or looseness in the rod when it is flicked and also at slow rpm when running.
Is this normal until it develops more compression. I am running it in with mineral oil at 40:1 (Castrol2t) is this enough oil.
Mine is not this way

Old 06-13-2010, 07:45 PM
Flathead
My Feedback: (11)

To jjcollett, I can probably find one laying around that would be very reasonable, like shipping costs. Because of the differences in engines, I need to know a little more about about what engine you have. Does it have slits in the cylinder, two thin rings or one wide ring, Original name on the trimmer, name on flywhee. For some reason, I cannot answer you on email for some reason. Flathead
Old 06-13-2010, 08:05 PM
w8ye

A few had Walbro flywheel/ignition units.

Most had the Phelon
Old 06-14-2010, 07:57 PM
moparcolt
My Feedback: (2)

I don't know if this is helpful to anyone but, I have a 33cc ryobi conversion running a roy scholl ignition and a wacker engines muffler and a bigger carb. It is on a thunder tiger Giles 202 1.40 size plane.
I had been ruuning a zinger 18x6 prop on it and it would spin it to 7500 Rpm. it has a two ring piston in it which wasa big improvement over the stock single ring, but I don't have any performance records from before I switched it over. It had up till this week a cyinder with the decompression slots. I also bought a Xoar 18x8 prop which I could turn to 6800 Rpm. Taht wasn't too great, it took too long to get the plane off the ground.
So before winter I bought a cylinder without the decompression slots. I bolted it up this weekend and did some tests. the numbers above were done the same day just minutes before I switched the cylinder. with the new cylinder it will swing the zinger 18x6 at 7600 Rpm and the xoar 18x8 prop at 7260 Rpm. I think that should be a lot better. I think the zinger prop is pushing the limits of how high this motor will spin with this carb and exhaust and ignition.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Bumpinyota

Combat Pilot - I just grabbed a wt577 like you off of ebay - what RPM did you achieve with this carb?
Old 08-28-2010, 10:37 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been meaning to do this ever since this thread started and have been too busy to get around to it. But now I have been going through all my planes doing battery and fuel system maintenance, and I finally got around to the Ryobi on my big 76" wingspan Tiger Moth.

It has a Ryobi with a good cylinder with no "smog slits", a Frank Bowman ring, exhaust port timing set to 150 degrees, deck height set to .020", an 11mm carb, electronic ignition set to 28 degrees, an aftermarket two tube muffler and a Top Flite 18 x 6 prop. Nothing special really.

Anyway, it turns the 18 x 6 at 8500 rpms. Yeah I know; I need to put an 18 x 8 or a 20 x 6 on it to get the revs down to a more reasonable 7500 rpms.... With this setup it will easily loop the big Tiger Moth at half throttle.

Here's some pics.

AV8TOR
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93850.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	1491862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99670.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	1491863  
Old 08-28-2010, 10:41 PM
av8tor1977

Here's another kind of neat picture of it...

AV8TOR

Name:	Yw66399.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	1491864  
Old 08-28-2010, 10:45 PM
av8tor1977

.. Brain fart....

AV8TOR
Old 08-28-2010, 11:48 PM
w8ye

I thought I saw grass in one of those earlier pictures? Is there grass in AZ

That's a screaming Ryobi

Old 08-29-2010, 01:27 PM
av8tor1977

Mostly no, there's no grass in Arizona and most people don't even know what it is. There is even less here where I am now, in Puerto Penasco Mexico.

My wife didn't want that grass that grows around our trees and plants here, and I once paid a guy a hundred bucks to remove it all. It was back in six months.... So there it is, and it needs trimmed. Anyone know where I can find a weedeater??

Yeah, my Ryobi runs pretty good. If I can just get some other projects finished up and out of the way, I think I am going to make an aluminum rod for a Ryobi. I actually made it so far as to put an original stamped steel Ryobi rod on one of my work benches to remind me to try to get around to it....

AV8TOR
Old 08-29-2010, 06:20 PM
diceco

Hi av8tor1977... You may have mentioned before but what are the vital specifications and the manufacturer of your ryobi equiped Tigermoth?

Thanks, diceco
Old 08-29-2010, 08:52 PM
av8tor1977

Hi,

It is the NitroPlanes Tiger moth. Wing span 76", weight with the Ryobi ready to fly 13 lbs. 3 oz. Wing loading is 16.7, wing cube loading is a ridiculously low 4.7. It would fly great on a decent 20cc gas engine if you are interested in scale like flight. The airplane came with only the two ailerons on the bottom wing. I added the two ailerons on the top wing for a four aileron ship. (I am not too concerned about "true scale" as long as it flies how I like it....) The Ryobi fits completely within the cowl with no cutting the sides. It balanced fine without ballast using the Ryobi on electronic ignition.

W8YE, I think you "shamed me". I actually got busy and trimmed that grass this afternoon...

AV8TOR

P.S. What a shame that Nitro Planes spent all their restocking time and money on "electron" airplanes. I have several of their gassers and really like them AND the price I got them at. But now they are pretty much out of stock of all "interesting" (gasoline capable) airplanes. Then all the magazines write about these days are are those dam n electrics.... Careful guys, I am afraid we are a "dying breed." []

Name:	Hf10157.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1492283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21322.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1492284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47608.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	1492285   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl26338.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	1492286   Click image for larger version

Name:	Co80463.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	1492287  
Old 08-29-2010, 09:06 PM
w8ye

I just didn't think that grass would grow like that in AZ unless you watered it every evening
Old 08-30-2010, 01:23 AM
av8tor1977

Bermuda grass, which is what that is, is pretty tough and resilient. Spreads like crazy too. I don't actually water that at all. It is just from what water I put in the plant wells, and from the ocassional overflow from the wells, when I get forgetful while watering. I only water about twice a week; sometimes only once. And it never rains here. I think the average annual rainfall is something like 2 inches here in Penasco. Definitely desert here...

AV8TOR

Name:	Db84127.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	1492448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23285.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	1492449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10198.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	1492450  
Old 08-30-2010, 11:24 PM
Bumpinyota

lol - here I MUST mow my yard every 2 to 3 days in the summeror it gets TOTALLY out of control...5 days without mowing and I have grass well over a foot deep. lol

If you do make an aluminum rod, please LMK Ill buy one in a second from you!
Old 08-31-2010, 12:09 AM
w8ye

I grew up in the SE US and we had Bermuda grass mostly but St Augustine in the shade and sometimes Zoysia grass if you were rich and in the pastures (flying field) it was Bahia. The pear cactus was very prominent in the coastal plains pastures but not in the piedmont areas

Here in the north we have Bluegrass and the various fescues (flying field) and sometimes perennial Rye grass

I was just amazed that there was any grass at all in that area.

Your vegetation looks nice

Maybe not so much sand in your carb?
Old 11-17-2010, 09:46 PM
Twin Star

I picked up a MTD/Ryobi engine in a box and Id like to put it together but some of the parts were missing.

Does any body have a good piston and rod assembly and reed and reed stop they could spare for a very reasonable price?
Old 11-18-2010, 12:15 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Twin Star
Look for complete engines at repair shops...sometimes free...but I give em enough $$ to buy a good meal. From then on...they will save engines for you.

AV8TOR.....I bet a reed valve for a DLE30 would really help the Ryobi...give it a go! PS Them sure are nice photos you posted. Tell you Daughter Hi...and keep up the good work!

Capt,n
Old 11-18-2010, 03:32 PM
diceco

ORIGINAL: Twin Star

I picked up a MTD/Ryobi engine in a box and Id like to put it together but some of the parts were missing.

Does any body have a good piston and rod assembly and reed and reed stop they could spare for a very reasonable price?
I might have a reed valve and back plate. I'm sure none of the pistons and rods I have are any good. diceco
Old 11-18-2010, 06:57 PM
spaceworm

ORIGINAL: Twin Star

Like was said, check the repair shops. At todays labor rates, most cheap engines are not repaired, just thrown away. I went through about 50 such weed trimmers in a pile that the shop was ready to haul away. I passed on a bunch of Ryobi 31cc, but picked up three Ryobi 26cc four strokes. Check around, and good luck.

Regards, Richard
Old 11-18-2010, 08:59 PM
Twin Star

My local repair shop stoped giving away the junk engines. I think the head Mech keeps them to fix and sell for pocket cash.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.