Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Lipo Speed controller?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 04:06 PM
sneakycyber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipo Speed controller?

Do I need a new ESCor can Iuse the same one Iused with my Nicd's Ihave a Novac duster and a duratrax power pulse. Iwas looking into a Nimh but Ihear that lipos are the best choice out there now.. Ialready have a Good charger.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Hellacool

Default RE: Lipo Speed controller?

The issue will be the Low Voltage Cutoff. Essentially you can not discharge your lipos past a certain voltage. The LVC will help keep you from doing this. Novak makes an out board one and there are tons of alarms available to help as well. Of course if you are looking to crank up the voltage then you may need a new one anyway.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:12 PM
sneakycyber
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the help.. I think I will stick with the NIMH for now. I don't race anymore and I am just looking to play around a bit..
Old 07-06-2010, 05:17 PM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

nimh batterys are ok. the voltage on li-po batterys cannot go below a certain amount or you will ruin rhe battery in short order. on a 3-s the volts can't drop past 9.5 volts as a safety. margin. i wouldn't go past 10 volts myself. lipo's are touchey, take a special charger, must be balanced etc. if you have one for a month and one day it won't charge you can just throw it away. a ni-cad or nimh [cell] can be replaced at the same mah. they are expensive and the little balance wires and plug are suseptial to damage easy. if the foil breaks on the pack, it won't hold a charge and your setting there with a 65.00 battery that ain't no good. nimh are cheap easy to charge and last for a year or more. lipo's are also dangerous if over charged , shorted out even for a second it burns the contacts where the balance wires are and you can't fix it. there not everything there cracked up to be except light in weight and put out high amp draws, which also shortens there life. you pay the price for these, and if you don't need them ,your better off..............RON