SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 01:27 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

ORIGINAL: Joystick TX

I am only running a Vess 18x6 because that was the ''best'' general purpose prop, recommended by Todd for the SAP, at the time I got my engine. . . . . . . Anyway, the Vess worked a little better for me than the Zinger 18x6 plus I like the looks of it and the balance is right on.
I looked up the numbers I had recorded on the Vess vs. Zinger. On the ground, I had a ''solid'' 300 RPM increase with the Vess. I guess the Zinger is not exactly a ''paint stick'' after all. Seemed like the ''braking effect'' on the Vess was much better; I did not notice a big increase in vertical performance because at that time I was not looking for it. With my sloth like reflexes, I may not be able to detect the subtle differences between the two props.

Some day when the winds are calm and I am bored with flying, I may test all three props to see if I can detect any major differences in flight. Yes, I will test them one at a time.
Just curious why sport fliers don't use APC. They produce very good sport props. The only downside is their higher weight
Old 07-13-2010, 01:39 PM
Cody-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I switched from a Zinger to the same size Vess and noticed a LOT of performance increase. Xoar are very good too, and quieter than Vess. They are also made from denser wood that deforms less when tightening prop fasteners.

With Vess and Xoar the same price, or cheaper, than Zinger, I can't really see a reason to use Zinger any more. I hope my LHS starts carrying Xoars.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Cody-RCU

ORIGINAL: MTK

Just curious why sport fliers don't use APC. They produce very good sport props. The only downside is their higher weight
Everybody where I fly does...good performance, cheap, and widely available. I usually yell at anyone I see flying Master Airscrew until they switch it out or go home.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:46 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: MTK

I am only running a Vess 18x6 because that was the ''best'' general purpose prop, recommended by Todd for the SAP, at the time I got my engine. . . . . . . Anyway, the Vess worked a little better for me than the Zinger 18x6 plus I like the looks of it and the balance is right on.
I looked up the numbers I had recorded on the Vess vs. Zinger. On the ground, I had a ''solid'' 300 RPM increase with the Vess. I guess the Zinger is not exactly a ''paint stick'' after all. Seemed like the ''braking effect'' on the Vess was much better; I did not notice a big increase in vertical performance because at that time I was not looking for it. With my sloth like reflexes, I may not be able to detect the subtle differences between the two props.

Some day when the winds are calm and I am bored with flying, I may test all three props to see if I can detect any major differences in flight. Yes, I will test them one at a time.
<hr />Maybe if they was "white" instead of that ugly grey....and did not have such sharp edges. May you got to be carefull not to mess up the edge..........electric start only or a heavy leather glove is needed..............
Old 07-13-2010, 02:16 PM
Joystick TX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have nothing against APC, I run them on some of my glow engines. I also run Master Airscrews. Some plane/engine combos seem to work better with different manuf. props.

I thought about getting the APC 18x6W for my E/P combo. Problem is, I am so happy with the Vess right now, I would hate to pay $20 to switch over and not be happy. At $4 a prop, I could play around a lot with different manuf's, pitches, etc., at $20+ a prop, I need to use the wait and see approach.

Someone needs to start a "rent-a-prop" business so we can try before we buy.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:17 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I enjoy and use APC. 18x6w works great on the SYSSA. As a 3D "wannabee" though (Funtana/RCGF 26cc), I found that extra weight (over a wood prop) cumbersome, acting like a big flywheel when it comes to throttle response? If/when that's of no concern, I run APC (after carefull sanding of the edges/balancing).
Old 07-13-2010, 02:27 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

<hr />Maybe if they was ''white'' instead of that ugly grey....and did not have such sharp edges. May you got to be carefull not to mess up the edge..........electric start only or a heavy leather glove is needed..............
Sharp TE is good for efficient use of engine torque. Dull TE is bad. APC has design advantages over any wood prop (I've used many wood and they just don't compare up to 20" in diameter; beyond 20", APC's are just not availabletoo heavy if made right to hold together)

Sharp TE is bad for your fingers if you hand crank as I do...I use a piece of 7/8" ID sili rubber tube to protect the cranky finger.. I hate starters; they scratch my polished spinners

APC props are easy to paint and balance and are extremely consistent dimensionally, blade to blade. Wood is nowhere close but wood allows easier mods. Both wood and APC need balancing almost always except APC is generally much closer in balance.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:30 PM
Joystick TX

ORIGINAL: ahicks

I enjoy and use APC. 18x6w works great on the SYSSA. As a 3D ''wannabee'' though (Funtana/RCGF 26cc), I found that extra weight (over a wood prop) cumbersome, acting like a big flywheel when it comes to throttle response? If/when that's of no concern, I run APC (after carefull sanding of the edges/balancing).
What plane are you running the Syssa on?

I see you have a Quadra powered Giant Super Sportster, that is what I have my engine on. I like to do "obstacle" take offs and landings. Take off roll right now is 8 to 12 feet from grass under clam wind conditions with vertical straight up almost out of sight. With a better prop I may be able to take off a couple of feet sooner and get out of sight quicker even though I have no idea why I feel the need to do that. I also thought about a pipe, but that may rip the plane apart.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:10 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

I cant recall the last time I didnt use an apc but there are new options out there.I am trying xoar on my electrics and would love to try a vess as well and make my own conclusion.I had master airscrews for years but once I tried apc I never used a master again.I have a few zingers that I used on my 3w's.when you get up the ladder to bigger engines I prefer a wood prop.I just cant afford the composite mej's ..
Old 07-14-2010, 11:15 AM
jdeltano

Hi All,

A friend of mine gave me a quart of AMSOIL Dominator to try in my engine. Anyone have any experience with this oil and could comment on it? Is it OK to use in my Syssa?

Thanks
-Jeff
Old 07-14-2010, 01:32 PM
Bpar4
My Feedback: (1)

All, To continue the discussion: Been using APCs for quite awhile. The 18x6w works well for me. Spools up nicely. Had the engine mounted in a QQS Yak for some time. Plenty of thrust (pullout). This Yak was recently disassembled into some small, bite sized pieces and only has good tail feathers if anyone needs them. Becareful which spinner that you use because some can be heavy enough to noticeably affect spool up. I use the GP 31/2" aluminum backed nylon. This is a good combo, comes in colors and is inexpensive. Of course nothing is as light as a carbon fiber type which, also, are heavy on the cash side. Here is the link:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEBF3&P=7 Also, while at Tower, do a search on "GP spinners" and take a look at some their repacement Aluminum spinners. The prices are good and you might find one that will suit your purposes. Be carefull which one that you choose. There some stout ones there.

Bob
Old 07-14-2010, 02:33 PM
Joystick TX

ORIGINAL: Bpar4

All, To continue the discussion: Been using APCs for quite awhile. The 18x6w works well for me. Spools up nicely. Had the engine mounted in a QQS Yak for some time. Plenty of thrust (pullout). This Yak was recently disassembled into some small, bite sized pieces and only has good tail feathers if anyone needs them. Becareful which spinner that you use because some can be heavy enough to noticeably affect spool up. I use the GP 31/2'' aluminum backed nylon. This is a good combo, comes in colors and is inexpensive. Of course nothing is as light as a carbon fiber type which, also, are heavy on the cash side. Here is the link:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEBF3&P=7 Also, while at Tower, do a search on ''GP spinners'' and take a look at some their repacement Aluminum spinners. The prices are good and you might find one that will suit your purposes. Be carefull which one that you choose. There some stout ones there.

Bob
The only prop I broke on my engine was due to the GP Spinner bolt breaking. It was expensive, the spinner hit the prop and knocked out a big chunk, the spinner was badly dented, the prop vibration caused my pilot to bail out.

The spinner was the one that came with my Giant Super Sportster. I balanced both the prop and the spinner so vibration was not an issue. Over torquing the bolt was also not an issue. The bolt broke about three threads from the prop nut. I now use spinners that don't use the single bolt in the center.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:57 PM
MTK

The only prop I broke on my engine was due to the GP Spinner bolt breaking. It was expensive, the spinner hit the prop and knocked out a big chunk, the spinner was badly dented, the prop vibration caused my pilot to bail out.

The spinner was the one that came with my Giant Super Sportster. I balanced both the prop and the spinner so vibration was not an issue. Over torquing the bolt was also not an issue. The bolt broke about three threads from the prop nut. I now use spinners that don't use the single bolt in the center.
Tru Turn with light backplate. Have used them exclusively for 25 years, since Bob Obbenberger created the company. Have never had a single problem. Pay more for quality products. The 3" spinner weighs 48 grams where the carbon equivalent weighs 43....not a whole lot of difference in this size. As Bob sez, "The only way to turn"
Old 07-14-2010, 09:30 PM
cloudancer03

I have used all different spinners.my mustang had a nice tru turn then the prop tore it up ugh! I have used dace browns and they are nice kanghke has them and now GP.I just make sure to balance them.I hear all kinds of things happen to pilots in here and I must be dull as nothing like what I read about ever happens which I am thankful for.I did invest ina good prop balancer and tookthe time to learn how to really balance correctly from a friend who used to fly pylons.he set me straight!
Old 07-15-2010, 06:54 AM
Joystick TX

ORIGINAL: cloudancer03

I have used all different spinners.my mustang had a nice tru turn then the prop tore it up ugh! I have used dace browns and they are nice kanghke has them and now GP.I just make sure to balance them.I hear all kinds of things happen to pilots in here and I must be dull as nothing like what I read about ever happens which I am thankful for.I did invest ina good prop balancer and tookthe time to learn how to really balance correctly from a friend who used to fly pylons.he set me straight!
You have been lucky. If you fly long enough a lot of strange things will happen to you. I get to fly 3 to 5 hours a week all year long, which means more "events" than someone who flys an hour a month. I crashed my first powered CL model 62 years ago and lost my first RC (fly-away) 40 years ago. Both memorable moments. I did a great take-off, a wing-over, then a nose dive into the ground, it seems like yesterday. I had to do a month's worth of odd jobs to get the $9 for that RTF plane. The RC fly-away was not as spectacular, just frustrating, every control input I made seemed to make it get farther away. That's when I had great eyesight. Come to think of it, that one cost me about a month's salary too. Memories. What a great hobby!
Old 07-15-2010, 08:18 AM
cloudancer03

steve I was referring to props only..lol.I still have a kaos in a tree along the nys thruway.I had a wing snap and just found the plane after one year!I reserved the alieron servoand took off and cranked it in .AND the worst was just last winter when I had 2 3dhobby planes totalled when my spectrum browned out needless to say I went back to good ol' futaba..but with props other than when my cub threw a prop directly into my left forearm I havent had any bad luck ,lol.!!
Old 07-15-2010, 03:15 PM
Joystick TX

Okay, props only makes more sense. I was wondering how you escaped all the normal problems in this hobby. I was going to tell you to go buy a lottery ticket, you would be a shoo-in to win the power ball.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:49 PM
RPool

I just cut back my engine box to make everything easier to reach and operate. Is Todd still selling custom length standoffs? I looked on the website but couldn't tell. Is that the best way to go? I'd simply call, but it is late and they are closed. I thought I'd take a shot here real quick? FYI...I need 1.875" long standoffs now.Originals are 1.25".
Old 07-16-2010, 09:47 PM
FlymoreRC

Drop Todd an E-mail describing what you want. They usually get back pretty quick during the work day. You can pay on-line at their web site under the service-item and they ship within one businessday.

[email protected]

Old 07-16-2010, 10:03 PM
RPool

What size is the bolt that goes thru the included standoffs? #8-32? 10-32?
Old 07-18-2010, 09:39 PM
FlymoreRC

You'll get 6 bolts: 3 for the firewall, 3 for the engine.

Nice deal. :-)

Old 07-18-2010, 09:48 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

10-32
Old 07-18-2010, 10:24 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: w8ye

10-32
stand offs are threaded for 8-32, both ends
Old 07-18-2010, 10:35 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was looking at them on my engine and with no way to measure except to take one to the store and compare, my guess was 10
Old 07-19-2010, 06:32 AM
ghoffman
My Feedback: (3)

I drilled mine out and used an M5 through them into a blind nut.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.