Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Parkzone Typhoon 3D ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 10:26 PM
patzane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Parkzone Typhoon 3D ?

Albeee4, this plane fly much different than the Predator. This plane is not for first timers not say you are, but you need to have some flight experience on the Predator without crashing. If you are still crashing on the Predator you should expect a lot of crashes on the Typhoon. Take is slow a learn. If you do any 3D in the air do in high up so you can make correction is needed. Happy flying and have fun
Old 01-16-2006, 11:00 PM
earthbound misfit
My Feedback: (1)

KXTao,
Thanks for the advice on the ailerons. This makes a lot of sense. I think some of my problem may also be the servos because they do not always re-center themselves when I let go of the stick. This plane is a lot of fun regardless of the trim issue. I'm still using the 13.5 inch prop. I understand the smaller one is even faster. I'm going to give it a try next time I take the typhoon out.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:57 PM
Randy Bohemier

Well it's been awhile since I have been back to this site, was kinda hopefull that Parkzone would have fixed the servo problems by now. I have now broken the typhoon in half just in front of the canopy, clean break glued it back together(cause broken clevis pin on elevator). Rudder servo now stripped out will replace with hitec 81 as recommended by this form. Will watch for further updates as won't fly here until May, unless I head down to Arizona for awhile. [8D]
Old 01-19-2006, 07:53 AM
gpshemi

The first time mine went down it split in half the same way. I was glueing it back together on the dining room table when it caught fire. Must be a funny spot in there.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:55 PM
maxwellmark

I've noticed how stiff the elevator action is and exercising it or flexing it several times by hand does very little to correct it. However if you cut the hinge point leaving 1/2in. tabs attached similar to the rudder and ailerons you can feel the flex force lighten up. Also to stabilize that squirrelly bird, be sure to check the CG. Balance is VERY important. ParkZone recommends 3 1/2in. aft of the wings leading edge. A quick check should be performed before each flight. Lift plane with finger tips from 1/4 to 1/2in. aft of the foam spar in wing, you should get pretty close to a balance attitude with the weight just dipping the nose not the tail. (for some advanced 3D moves you will want the tail to dip) Hope that helps some

-Mark
Old 01-19-2006, 10:20 PM
Albeee4

Thanks Pat,
I did get out to the field the other day. I had much more confidence after reading the forums.
I got in an hour and a half of incredible flight. Lot of loops and rolls. Six landings with no damage!
I am trying to hook up with some guys from my club to learn the 3D stuff.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:44 AM
patzane

This is more for newbie in the hobby. Here in Arizona the weather is usually nice year round. Today is 01/26/05 and the last time we got in rain was in October 2005. However is does get windy at times. Early this week I was flying my Parkzone Typhoon in about 20 MPH wind. They recommend not to fly if the wind is over 5 MPH. Well I did not listen like most of us in this hobby and want to see what the formie bird can do. Invert about 25 feet above ground a gut of wind came and sent me nose end to the ground. Moral of story. You crash you fix. It will happen to all us sooner or later. Planes are like everything in this world only without a expiration date. Don't get discourage when you crash get back on the horse and fir again.

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59847.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	396255  
Old 01-27-2006, 08:03 AM
jmir

Don't feel bad..... I'm usually doing something against the advise of others when I crash.

I love to hover/harrier about 6 to 10 feet off the ground (only recommended for experts). Well, every now and then, it drops off the hover or harrier and I can't recover. So, I end up doing some gluing at nights getting ready for the next day. That's the beauty of beginner's foamies -- repairs are simple.

Eventually, I will learn how to fly well and I will purchase the new airframe. This is what I did with my Parkzone J-3 Cub months ago after I learned how to fly it well. I've never crashed it with the new airframe.

Old 01-28-2006, 04:22 PM
jonwhatley

Well gang... I'm a little miffed but I'm reserving judgement until I give Parkzone a chance to make this one right. I already had to replace the two servos; rudder and tail. It was annoying but what the heck, I figure I'd eat that. Today I put the battery in, go to power the prop and smoke starts pouring out of the nose. I quickly unplug the battery but apparently the speed controller is fried. What gives? Anyone have a similar experience?

By and large I've been happy with the Parkzone products and particularly pleased with the flight charactoristics of the typhoon but this grounds me until I get some resolution.

Appreciate any feedback from anyone.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:16 AM
heffas12

Since tax return was coming up was thinking about getting a Typhoon with some of the return money. Just wanted to see if any of you all knew if Park Zone has done anything to fix the servo problems, and if so have they recalled the ones in the stores???? Dont know if they would go to the trouble of actually recalling, but if they did fix the probs at least I could look for one with a later manufacturer date....
Old 01-30-2006, 07:51 AM
gpshemi

See my earlier post, but yes, mine caught on fire on the dining room table. When I spoke to Parkzone they said that they've never had one go up like that. Well now they have. Also, I spoke to them about the servo problems and they said they've only had a couple with bad servo's but nothing major. They didn't consider it an issue.

gpshemi
Old 01-30-2006, 07:11 PM
squirrel-net

Has anyone set up their Typhoon to fly with a different transmitter? I've been trying to get it to work with an Optic 6 and I've about decided I need to put a different receiver in. I took the jumper off the receiver but the channels still aren't working out for ailerons. Anybody else have some experience with the Parkzone electronics they can offer? TIA
Old 01-31-2006, 12:38 AM
heffas12

Well they should consider it an issue, seeing that everyone on here is reporting problems with it....not to mention all of the other people that are having the same problems too. Knowing me since I have the money now, I will probably be stupid and still get one. I am wondering how much it will cost to convert the servos over to some that will work well and how much it will cost, also wondering if its an easy swap or if you have to do anything else special to get to everything work right with the transmitter and everything else. Thanks for all of your help and inputs
Old 01-31-2006, 07:55 AM
jonwhatley

Well here's the follow up guys and I gotta throw props to Parkzone and Mike's hobby shop in Dallas where I bought my plane. I showed my burnt speed controller to the manager there and my part was replaced on the spot free of charge. I took the thing home, replaced the controller in minutes and was back in the air late yesterday afternoon.

I must say that I do enjoy flying this plane. I live downtown but can go to any small park or parking lot with just minimal space and launch from the ground almost straight up. It handles beautfully and when I'm done I can set it down with little to no landing area.

I remain a parkzone fan and highly recommend the good people at Mike's hobby shop in Dallas for all of your hobby needs.

Happy flying to you all.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:09 AM
rastus21

I'm in Aust, got mine, after reading about the servo probs. In the box is spare gears for the servo's, so go figure. I'll replace the servos soon.
Havnt flown electric before, and havent flown RC planes for about 8 years. Put it together, put the throws to very low, adjusted c of g to a little nose heavy. I havent even looked like crashing. What a great plane, I'll start re learning aeros again soon.
Very quiet, I just go to a foot ball oval, no gear just plane and transmitter, simple, clean, easy, I love it.
Fully recomend this plane, even as a second plane.
This may stimulate me back to full size as well ( Im a full size Instructor ) Love planes, think I'll get a elect jet next.
Bloody unreal.

Matt
Old 02-01-2006, 03:36 PM
SJMILLER

Just wanted to throw in my experience with this plane. I bought mine from a hobby shop that was going out of buisiness. When I tried to turn it on the plane would only turn on about every 5th time. When it came on everything would work great, range check and no flutter. Stupid me I flew it. You can guess what happend. Radio turned off at about 100 feet up. Park zone said to gut the electronics and send them in. two weeks later there was a brand new plane on my front porch. New plane works great. I am not a pro 3d flyer but I am a very experienced sport pilot and this plane does everything I ask of it very well. I am flying it with the stock battery and the long prop. Hovering is great and the roll rate is pretty good, not quite axial, but very close. Pulls to the belly in knife edge pretty bad. No bad habits and will slow down great. I fly it off of a piece of concrete about 30 feet long and 10 feet wide and it is plenty of runway. This is my first elecric and I would have to say I am looking at several of the other parkZone planes pretty hard. They treated me right when there was a problem and that goes a long ways. Good luck and happy landings!
Old 02-01-2006, 05:44 PM
CrashBurn69

I just picked one up and have a couple of questions. First did the landing gear wire needed to be squeezed together to get it to fit in the slot? Second, how do I get the spinner off. I am afraid of pulling too hard on it and bending the motor shaft. Thanks
Old 02-01-2006, 05:55 PM
SJMILLER

yea you have to squeeze the landing gear and it is still a tight fit, but seems to hold up really well so far. Just pull on the spinner, it is really snug from the factory but gets better after it has been off once. Good luck and be careful with the servos!
Old 02-01-2006, 06:18 PM
CrashBurn69

I got the one where I use my reciever and tx. Is there anything special I have to do to set the throttle limits on the speed controller and receiver? I was lucky my lhs let me have it for a steal. One bad thing, I did not realize my battery chargers I have will not charge nine cells. I guess I am off tomorrow to pick up a trinitron or something comparable.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:17 AM
Get Real

im glad parkzone came out with the plug and play version.. it should get more pilots into this plane now that they can use there own radios. i bought rtf version last fall but sold my original pack and radio. both worked fine but i like my current equipment more. for those with servo concerns they dont just strip while flying.. there not the highest grade but sufficent servos. hitec hs 81s fit well and work great if you do plan to upgrade.. im only running hitec on elevator currently. with some radios you will have to adjust speed control setting #4 in programming for full throttle as well as endpoint on radio in some cases to get full power. set throttle trim to center and power up.. if plane doesnt power up after arm switch is on and armed on the plane try again.. if you have to set trim back try full power.. while at full power set trim to full.. if you get about a 20%-30% increase in thrust you need to set option 4 to the next value and it will work fine with your radio. rite now i have a spektrum dx6 in it but had run a futaba radio and needed to set option 4 to get maximum throttle with radio. this plane flys very well.. watch your set up of elevator.. it has quite a bit of authority and may surprise you if set to high. very stable plane.. handles wind well.. has good power.. especially on tp2100 lipo. you cant beat it for the price and parts are inexpensive and readily available so you can fly the heck out of it and push your skills even if it means youll have to repair it sometimes. hovers well.. does nice knife edges and probally all other 3D moves you can throw at it.. i learned to fly last summer and recently started concentraiting on 3D maneuvers so my experience is kinda limited at this time but ive been happy with the planes stability and flight all around.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:20 AM
CrashBurn69

I like being able to use my 9c radio with this plane. I need to pick up a new revciever while I am out today. MY GWS nano does not seem to be working all that great. I hooked up a full size reciever to bench test it and every thing seems to check out. I put a GP Electrify 1500 3c in it to conserve a little weight. When using this pack, it has to be either turned up on its side or trim a little foam from the sides of the slot since its a different shape that the TP packs. What are the throws the stock radio puts on the control surfaces? The instructions leave out this minor detail for some reason. I dont want to leave it with the radio pulling the servo's as far as the will travel. I think this would speed up the demise of the stock servos. How much room will I need to fly this plane? Can it be flown in a 1/2 acre? I know its not a tribute. But I dont want to drive all the way down to my club.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:21 PM
CrashBurn69

What does the CG need to be in this plane?
Old 02-04-2006, 05:01 AM
Get Real

im not sure of cg.. i never measured it since mine was rtf version. im sure your cg will change slightly do to lighter pack.. your pack is much lighter than stock nickel pack and even a little lighter than my tp2100(5.1 ounces with deans connector). also because mine was bought rtf i didnt measure throws on stock dual rates. id suggest powering it up with full deflection and cutting down low rates to 75% or even 50% of what the max throws are with stock servos. set all linkages to the outer most hole on servo arms and on control horns.. it comes stock this way rtf this should be a good starting point. not sure of your expierence with aerobatic planes but this plane can be set up very docile or for very aggressive 3D flying. i started flying last summer but have been learning quite a bit about set ups and flying. heres where i fly http://media.putfile.com/Edge-540-with-Gearbox this was testing another plane with 3D throws with regular 4ch no dual rates or expo.. im learning 3D but having fun.. this is where ive been flying mostly and is where i fly typhoon. these planes can fly in some small areas but not nearly as small of an area as some foaimies.. im sure if expierenced enough you can fly these planes in a much smaller area than i fly at.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:24 AM
CrashBurn69

I have been flying for a couple of summers now. But no matter how much experience you have, if you take off with a bad setup your chances of comming back without a plane increases no matter how well you can fly. I set my throws at 70 percent to start with, and will set dual rates down to 40 for the firt flight. I can adjust from there.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:50 PM
Get Real

this is very true.. set up is extremely important for successful maiden flights. planes usually take a little fine tuning to perform to your liking. those throws should work well.. the typhoon flys very well at less than half throttle so you can slow it down a lot if its to touchy at first. it can bank and loop very tightly without snapping. i think youll like it a lot. the 12x8.75 prop works best for hovering and aerobatics for me and has very good pull. i prefer to roll out and take off on a slow climb but you can yank the stick and have typhoon in the air in under 10 feet.. it has really good power.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.