Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > Forum questions or problems
Reload this Page >

Report bugs with new vbulletin forum here

Community
Search
Notices
Forum questions or problems Post any questions about how to use the forum or any bugs/problems you may be having in this forum.

Report bugs with new vbulletin forum here

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 12:10 PM
IBpark
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sterbejj
I moved after I joined RC Universe. I changed my home town location in my profile but every time I post something my old location still shows up in the info box to the left of the posting. What must be done to have my correct current location appear when I post something?
Hello, are you still having trouble saving your new location as part of your profile?
Old 09-17-2013, 06:19 PM
wings

Hello,

Would it be possible to have permission to edit older posts? There are a few post where I have linked to my personal website and I would like to edit those posts and delete the links if possible.

It would be a lot to me if this were made possible, or perhaps and admin could edit/delete my old posts.

Thank you very much in advance.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:21 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by wings
Hello,

Would it be possible to have permission to edit older posts? There are a few post where I have linked to my personal website and I would like to edit those posts and delete the links if possible.

It would be a lot to me if this were made possible, or perhaps and admin could edit/delete my old posts.

Thank you very much in advance.
Even before the migration to vBulletin there was a limit to how long a member could edit a post. The limit was 60 days, after that members could not go back in and edit a post. So this isn't something new.

I would be more than happy to make changes for you in your posts if you will provide me links to the posts you need changed and what you need changed in them.

Ken
Old 09-18-2013, 06:06 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by RCKen
Even before the migration to vBulletin there was a limit to how long a member could edit a post. The limit was 60 days, after that members could not go back in and edit a post. So this isn't something new. I would be more than happy to make changes for you in your posts if you will provide me links to the posts you need changed and what you need changed in them. Ken
I think a more practical solution may be if thread is not closed, to simply hit Reply with Quote and the add updated info.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:14 AM
JohnB96041

Well, this latest email link ( http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11584402&goto=newpost ) took me to page 51. It should have taken me to page 52 to the last post. Hope RCU is still working on this bug.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:33 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

George, when RCU was owned by Marc Vigod and Michael Kranitz there was only one support person, and that was Marc himself. When they sold the site to Internet Brands we inherited a full time staff of programmers that could provide tech support to RCU. The problem they had when they first took over RCU was that the software had been so highly modified by Marc that it was a nightmare for them. Every time they would try to fix something other things on the site would break. In fact, this was part of the long delay it took from the time of purchase to us being upgraded, they had to actually hire on a programmer to do nothing but try to figure RCU out.
I know what you are talking about. Back in the late 1980's, I was part of a software team at an aerospace company, modifying software written 10 years prior. There was a comment may be every 30 lines of code, all in FORTRAN IV with no indenting, with embedded IBM 360J assembly in this minicomputer based load servo control and data acquisition package for aircraft structural testing. I ended up using a word processor, blocking it out by tiered indenting to discover sections, developed a data dictionary every time I discovered what a variable was. Inserted a lot of comments to simulate structured programming. (It was highly structured, but not evident in the writing style.) Then recompiled it and checked the CRC had not changed, which meant I did not modify the code. It took a couple weeks of 8 hours a day, but was finally making headway into changes required on portions I was working on. Package was 10,000 lines of code, to which we added about another 5,000 for a new testing program.

Now we fast forward to having been upgraded to vBulletin. This was a major step forward for us because the old software we had had been abandoned by the company that wrote it when they went out of business. vBulletin is actually owned by Internet Brands (our parent company), so they are the "experts" with this software. Now some would ask why we are having problems if they own the software and are the experts. There are several reasons for this. First, RCU is just about the largest site they have ever taken in. The size of our message database was HUGE. Just the attached pictures that have been uploaded to RCU is over 20,000,000 (yes, twenty million), and that is just that attachments. When you start to think about the total size of the posts they number is even larger. The second reason why they are having some problems is because the actual forums of RCU are just one part of the puzzle. RCU is actually made up of the Discussion Forums, the Marketplace, and the RCU Magazine. All of these were housed on multiple servers spanning multiple operating systems, which all worked under a login server. When they upgraded the forums they needed to make sure all the parts still worked together. The last reason is because when we upgraded we wanted to try to make everything work on the new forums as it did on the old one. And getting all those things working has been a bit of a chore. But they are working on it as hard as they possibly can.
Yes, you have a considerable data base infrastructure to maintain. As time progresses, I understand that software packages need to be retired, as the old is obsolete (probably using outmoded languages) and requirements have expanded. I've lived through the debugging process, when after racking your brain you make a small correction, it seems a milestone. Back then I found a bug with the old package. Minicomputer would run for weeks during a structural durability test, then software would mysteriously crash. I found it was missing one line of code to update the pointer when returning a portion of freed memory back to the linked list free queue. After that, the software was definitely more robust.

Yes, RCU is a "free" site. And believe me in that IB has no intention of ever changing that. RCU's core belief is that every post ever made will always be available for viewing even if the person viewing isn't a member of RCU. And IB supports that. But that doesn't mean that RCU isn't a money making machine. Internet Brands would have never bought the site if they didn't feel they could make money of of it. RCU is supported by the advertising sold here on the site. So we ask that you support those people you see in the banner ads as they are the ones that are keeping RCU's door's open and our lights turned on!!!! Hope this helps Ken
I've appreciated it as an info repository, have found solutions to my legacy McCoy, Enya, Gilbert, Fox, OS engines and plans of the 1950's and 1960's. Plus, I've found correction solutions to my kit and plan building. So, having access to history certainly helps.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:20 AM
Oregon Craig

Tapatalk would be absolutely awesome. Sadly, IB claims to have their own version of a similar app, so Tapatalk looks to be out of the question. They plan to release it "someday" but I for one am not too confident now.

Originally Posted by ahamay
Would be nice to have Tapatalk enabled... especially for those of us that use mobile and tablet devices given the outstanding issues with the email notifications taking you to the wrong pages. This is more so frustrating when we are using a mobile or tablet than using a full pc as extra navigation is required to get to the last post.

What's the latest update on the new post notifications issue ?

In the old forum you had the option to receive a new post notification after every post in a thread that you had subscribed to. This didn't use cookies. Can this forum do that as a workaround until it's resolved ?
Old 09-18-2013, 07:43 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even before the migration to vBulletin there was a limit to how long a member could edit a post. The limit was 60 days, after that members could not go back in and edit a post. So this isn't something new.

I would be more than happy to make changes for you in your posts if you will provide me links to the posts you need changed and what you need changed in them.

Ken

That's true but this new forum has a very short timer (about 60 seconds) where you can edit a newly created post to correct grammar,spelling, etc.. BUT it's only around 60 seconds. and after that it stamps the post with the "message edited by(user name) on (time/date)."
Other vbulletin sites have that timer set to around 5 minutes where a new post can be edited several times before it gets stamped.
How about extending it here?
Old 09-18-2013, 07:53 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Originally Posted by JohnB96041
Well, this latest email link ( http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11584402&goto=newpost ) took me to page 51. It should have taken me to page 52 to the last post. Hope RCU is still working on this bug.
We've inquired to the programmers this morning about where they are on getting this issue resolved. So far I haven't heard back from them. However, I do know that they watch this thread here as well so they may just answer here directly instead of back to me by email.

Ken
Old 09-18-2013, 08:10 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

On RCG and other forums the links typically take me to the last page I visited rather than the last post. Perhaps that same logic is at work here. I too would prefer to go to the post that is referenced in the e-mail.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:20 AM
EJWash1
My Feedback: (3)

My feedback rating was wiped-out, and my profile shows me as a Basic Member and not a Trader Member. What gives?
Old 09-18-2013, 09:00 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Originally Posted by EJWash1
My feedback rating was wiped-out, and my profile shows me as a Basic Member and not a Trader Member. What gives?
It's showing you as "Trading Plus" Member. When I look in your profile it shows the same thing there as well.

I'll send a note to the Tech Staff to find out about your Feedback Rating

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rcu_screenshot-2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1922419  
Old 09-18-2013, 09:13 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Originally Posted by EJWash1
Ok, I heard back from our programmers. Your ratings are still in place, you can find them here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...s&memid=439027

However, I know exactly what you are looking at. If you go to your profile and click on the "Feedback Score" it all shows as zeros. It appears that there are two sets of data. I know where this is coming from, RCU is simply a huge site across many different servers and because of this we wound up with two different sets of feedback data. I know this isn't your problem, but I'm just trying to help explain what is going on. I've ask our Tech Staff to see if we can find a way to get all of these different data sets cleaned up so that we have only one.

Ken
Old 09-18-2013, 09:29 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Ok, I just heard back from our programmers. There is a bug that there is two separate sets of feedback data. Here is what they are going to do about it. They are going to take the "Feedback Ratings" in a user's profile under the new vB software and they are going to replace that with a link back to the members "Market Ratings" from the Marketplace and the RCU software. This should fix all of the issues resulting from the confusion. They have it scheduled on their work log and said it should be corrected within 48 hours.

Ken
Old 09-18-2013, 09:33 AM
EJWash1
My Feedback: (3)

They have it scheduled on their work log and said it should be corrected within 48 hours.

Ken
Thank you Ken!
Old 09-18-2013, 11:44 AM
KnifeEdge51

Could be my computer, but most photos come up "broken" now (no actual image, just the bad image icon). If the photos shows as a thumbnail, it won't enlarge it in the photo viewer. Pictures viewed normally this morning, so this is fairly recent. Anybody else having this issue?
Old 09-18-2013, 02:38 PM
JohnB96041

Just got the following email link:http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/show...php?p=11618439
Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator
Old 09-18-2013, 02:51 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Just got the following email link:http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/show...php?p=11618439
Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

I was able to open it with no problems at all.

See if you can follow this link to get to that thread,

Engine Help

Let me know if you still have problems

Ken
Old 09-18-2013, 02:58 PM
JohnB96041

RCKen: It took me to the same place. Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator
Old 09-18-2013, 02:59 PM
JohnB96041

I have logged off, deleted all cookies, again, restarted IE9, logged back on. Then opened email and clicked on the link with the same results.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:20 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

John,
Ok, I logged on using my test user account and I am seeing the same thing you are. I get a invalid link as well. I'm going to send this to our programmers to see if they can figure out what's going on with it.

As I was working through this I noticed that you live in Apache, Ok. That makes us neighbors as I live in Lawton!! Do you fly up there in Apache??

Ken
Old 09-18-2013, 03:26 PM
JohnB96041

John,
Ok, I logged on using my test user account and I am seeing the same thing you are. I get a invalid link as well. I'm going to send this to our programmers to see if they can figure out what's going on with it.

As I was working through this I noticed that you live in Apache, Ok. That makes us neighbors as I live in Lawton!! Do you fly up there in Apache??

Ken
Sure do. Have my own flying site just West and 2 miles South of my house. Also go the the Weatherford RC field and fly since my son lives just East of their field about 3 miles. Drop the wife off at my sons house and go fly.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:33 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Sure do. Have my own flying site just West and 2 miles South of my house. Also go the the Weatherford RC field and fly since my son lives just East of their field about 3 miles. Drop the wife off at my sons house and go fly.
If you're ever coming down this way come on over and fly with us!! We'd love you have you at our field.

How big is the field you have up there??

Ken
Old 09-19-2013, 03:15 AM
Roguedog

I tried to upload a 1.8meg byte pdf and no dice. Would not except it. It was saved as a version 5.0 pdf for compatability. Is there some rediculously low pdf file size requirement?

This needs to be fixed.

Bryan
Old 09-19-2013, 03:22 AM
JohnB96041

If you're ever coming down this way come on over and fly with us!! We'd love you have you at our field.

How big is the field you have up there??

Ken
Ken: I have a grass only field that I keep mowed. I am the only person in Apache that flys models. Runway is 80' wide and 300' long. Has a wheat field on the South, grass on the East and West, one tree off the North end of the runway. I have to fly around the tree to land going South.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.