Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > Forum questions or problems
Reload this Page >

Report bugs with new vbulletin forum here

Community
Search
Notices
Forum questions or problems Post any questions about how to use the forum or any bugs/problems you may be having in this forum.

Report bugs with new vbulletin forum here

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 01:25 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnB96041
Thanks Ken..Nice to hear from you again. Maybe I can get to the Lawton Fun Flyers field soon to fly with all of you.
We'd love to have you if you want to fly with us!!!

Or maybe I can load up the trailer and head your direction some time and fly with you all.

Ken
Old 09-26-2013, 04:35 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello RCKen,

I have just spent an hour reading this thread.
You sure need help for the time you spend replying to the posts.
Many questions remain unanswered and I sympathize with your efforts.

I now see 'reply to thread at the top of the pages as well as at the bottom.
One thing I mentioned earlier.

If you read my last post in Skybolt Hangar and Clubhouse, I wrote that we should stop our discussion in that thread. Your action to remove the discussion was the proper thing to do but the problems concerning attached pictures is not solved. My request as to where we can find the solutions to these kind of problems remains unanswered.

While reading a good part of this thread, the thread in which I am writing now, I am puzzled by confusion on size of attachment we can post. Perhaps it is the reason why I could not post a new picture to replace the one deleted. In post #1302 in this thread you wrote the limit for PDF is definitely larger than 1.8 mb (you have mb in small character) but you did not show what is the limit.

In post #1304 it says the limit is 19.5 KB which is considerably smaller than 1.8 MB if megabytes is what you meant with mb in small character.

I wish to thank you for cleaning up the Skybolt Hangar thread but I also wish to find answers and procedures to maneuver properly around this forum. I have read some of your explanations and appreciate your valuable time. As I said at the beginning, you need a few people to assist you.

I would appreciate also a quick reply showing that you have read this posting.

Best regards from Zor
Old 09-26-2013, 05:14 PM
JohnB96041

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now getting double emails with the same link. Sure fills up inbox quickly. What is happening?
Old 09-26-2013, 07:14 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

dunno bout that john, but this evening, it appears that my history cookie reverted to one from at least 10 days ago, as the link to see the first unread is taking me back in time to post i had already read and marked as read.;
Old 09-27-2013, 05:00 AM
JohnB96041

Originally Posted by mongo
dunno bout that john, but this evening, it appears that my history cookie reverted to one from at least 10 days ago, as the link to see the first unread is taking me back in time to post i had already read and marked as read.;
Not sure I understand your comment. What do you mean a link to see the first unread? And what do you mean by post you had already read and marked as read? Most web sites like this, when receiving an email with a link, take you to the post listed in the link or last post. I should not have to mark a post as read. My profile is set the same way it is in other web sites and they work perfectly every time.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:17 AM
JohnB96041

RCKen: Here might be the problem I am having. Found this in the help section of settings, general. How can I see the latest posts?
There are two ways to quickly view recently created or updated threads.
If you are not logged in, the 'today's posts' link will show a list of all threads that have been created or updated in the last 24 hours.
If you are logged in, the 'Today's Posts' link will change to 'New Posts', which gives you a listing of all threads that have been created or updated since your last visit.
The administrator can also set up the forums so that each thread you read is marked in the database. If this option is set, then new threads (or threads with new posts) will not be marked as read until you have actually read them.
There is a built-in time limit to this, however, that will automatically mark all threads as 'read' after a set number of day, whether you really have read them or not. The default setting is 10 days, but the administrator could make this higher or lower.

When I click on a link, I would like the database to reflect that I have automatically read the last post. I should not have to mark them as read.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:09 PM
JohnB96041

How do I mark forum posts as read?????
Old 09-27-2013, 12:15 PM
JohnB96041

Forum
Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums
Gas Engines
DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)
Recieved a new email with link to this forum. Took me to next to the last page. Should have been the last page of the forum.. Still looking for suggestions as to the problem and a fix.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:18 PM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnB96041
How do I mark forum posts as read?????
Actually I gotta +1 that remark.. very suddenly today (around 11AM CDT, after having been on the site all morning) all posts going back to 9/17 showed up as having new posts...
even though there were no new posts.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:44 PM
mongo

on the forums main page, at the very bottom, just above the list of who is online is a "mark forums read" button. click it.

an what happened to jim is what i was saying happened to me, about 10 hours earlier. went back in time at least 10 days.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:55 PM
JohnB96041

on the forums main page, at the very bottom, just above the list of who is online is a "mark forums read" button. click it.

an what happened to jim is what i was saying happened to me, about 10 hours earlier. went back in time at least 10 days.
Tried that, and it does not solve the problem. The problem is that email links take me to the wrong page. It is not a brouse setting either After clicking the item you mention marks a forum as read, I am interested in how to mark a post as read.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:55 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello R.C. Ken, et Al: I am still having trouble with the "You do not have permission>>>" thing.

I use AOL Desktop 10.1 and 9.7. My post seem to all go through if I am using AOL 9.7 However using 10.1 it is still same "You don't have permission" while all the notes say I DO!

You folks sure know how to make a problem for me. HA! Stunt Hanger has no problem with 10.1 All the politicians have no problem with many many methods of getting their message "SEND MONEY" to me and it goes when I punch the Send button or even one close to it.

When you gonna' fix this item?
Old 09-28-2013, 12:48 AM
mongo

sounds like a cookie related problem, john.
if it takes you to the wrong place when you are not actively logged in and click the link, but takes you to the right place if you are actively logged in. it probably does not know where you last read to. something we users have no access to fix.

now, the mark all forums read is supposed to set the indicator bit for each post on the site as read. have not seen a way for us to mark a post read as we read. again, if it doesn't keep this info on site, and just keeps it in the cookie on your puter, then it has no idea where to send you when you click the new post notification link, if you are not already logged in.

be my best guess, anyway.

oh yeah,
HOSS:
leave the 20th century behind already. loose that AOHELL carp and join the rest of us in the 21st century.<G>

Last edited by mongo; 09-28-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:37 AM
JohnB96041

if it takes you to the wrong place when you are not actively logged in and click the link, but takes you to the right place if you are actively logged in. it probably does not know where you last read to. something we users have no access to fix.

now, the mark all forums read is supposed to set the indicator bit for each post on the site as read. have not seen a way for us to mark a post read as we read. again, if it doesn't keep this info on site, and just keeps it in the cookie on your puter, then it has no idea where to send you when you click the new post notification link, if you are not already logged in.

be my best guess, anyway.

oh yeah,
HOSS:
leave the 20th century behind already. loose that AOHELL carp and join the rest of us in the 21st century.<G>
Mongo: Wrong info again. All cookies have been deleted and this issue happens whether I am logged on to RCU on not. According to the web site when I log out, all cookies are deleted. Ha, that is also a joke, because I can access the files and still see all the RCUniverse cookies. I have manually deleted all cookies which also logs me off all my other web sites that I have logged onto. What a pain. After doing this I have clicked on links and still been sent to the wrong page within a forum (post). Only happens in RCU, none of the other web sites. This leads me to believe it is the site, not the brouser.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:38 PM
Oregon Craig

Can we get 'my forums' functionality while using the default mobile style please?
Old 09-28-2013, 04:31 PM
tschuy

It doesn't matter what forum I go to when clicking on links from emails received from RCU, it doesn't take me to the posted link. It goes to several pages that were posted prior to the latest one sent. It doesn't matter if I use my PC, Laptop, iPad or what browser I use.. It has the same behavior where the link takes me to an earlier post and I have to scroll down or up to get to the page index and manually advance myself to the latest post. To expect one to continually delete browser history so that RCU will function properly is a poor excuse to fixing the issue. It is not acceptable to expect user's of the forum to clear out their browser history just to have RCU links to function properly...

I use to visit RCU a lot and enjoyed reading through the different forum postings. But now it such a pain to visit that it is not enjoyable to scroll through the different forums. I hate coming here now as the experience is lousy.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:42 PM
tschuy

>
to blame the issue on RCU cookie issues is a poor excuse for bad code that obviously is the root of the problem... So to expect users of the forum to manually delete the RCU cookies is not the right way to fix this. Not all users have the expertise to delete specific cookies. So to ask folks to do this is not the right way to fix this broken code issue.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:43 PM
RC_Fanatic

One good thing about all the mess is that I'm getting more work done on my planes than before since it is such a hassle to get where I want to go that I seldom log on now. The other site definitely looks better!
Old 09-28-2013, 05:51 PM
JohnB96041

I have found that when I click on an email link and it takes me to the wrong page I just click on the email link a second time and it opens a new tab and I am on the correct page. Works a little faster than scrolling down or up on the wrong page then clicking on the last page to get to the correct location.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:52 PM
JohnB96041

I am not sure they are ever going to fix this problem and if/when they do I don't think they will even notify us that it is fixed.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:01 PM
Ernie Misner

I think this might happen if you are subscribed to "the whole forum" rather than to an individual thread.

Originally Posted by Harley Condra
I unsubscribed to this thread, then the quoted reply was made, and I was automatically re-subscribed! If I don't subscribe, don't do it for me!.
That's all I need....a full mailbox!
RCU, fix it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-29-2013, 04:07 PM
tschuy

To have 54 pages in this specific forum thread is pretty sad to say the least... It's like the best thing to do is one of two things.... Roll the changes back to its original state and leave it alone (it seemed to have worked very well and without issues until the admin's started to screw with things) or give up on RCU and go to its competitor RC-Groups which seems to be doing very well....

This is truly a sad situation.... To have users tweak their individual settings to help fix a poorly deployed global configuration is the wrong way to do good service to the customers who use this site....
Old 09-29-2013, 05:42 PM
mongo

gotta wonder just what the folks over at RCG, VB purchasers from IB, know about this software, that they were able to make it work well, that the folks that own and wrote the forum software, in use here, are unable to work out.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:52 PM
ahamay

gotta wonder just what the folks over at RCG, VB purchasers from IB, know about this software, that they were able to make it work well, that the folks that own and wrote the forum software, in use here, are unable to work out.
I think your being unfair on the RCU developers and admins with your statements. The forum was only one component of the old RCU website. The old RCU website had the marketplace etc and the forum was part of the whole website (ie built in). The new forum has been separated from the old software but they have obviously had some issues logging us into the old part of the website and also into the new VB forum seamlessly.

Seeing as you mentioned RCG... they are running a standalone VB forum as many other sites do. They have not had the challenge of trying to separate a forum from old software and make it work.

There have been a lot of issues if you've been following this thread and a lot of them have been addressed. Credit where credit is due. However there are still some things for them to look at.

Last edited by ahamay; 09-29-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:15 PM
ahamay

Originally Posted by Harley Condra
I unsubscribed to this thread, then the quoted reply was made, and I was automatically re-subscribed! If I don't subscribe, don't do it for me!.
That's all I need....a full mailbox!
RCU, fix it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Ernie Misner
I think this might happen if you are subscribed to "the whole forum" rather than to an individual thread.

This is a user configurable settings which has been covered in this thread before. If you missed it then the setting can be found under:

My Account -> General Settings.

Select the default option for "Default Thread subscription Mode"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.