Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > Forum questions or problems
Reload this Page >

What is wrong with RCUniverse website

Community
Search
Notices
Forum questions or problems Post any questions about how to use the forum or any bugs/problems you may be having in this forum.

What is wrong with RCUniverse website

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 05:30 AM
scoobiemario
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is wrong with RCUniverse website

Every day , few times a day, RCU is not accessible. Tried different browsers, different physical locations to connect from, iPhone, PC's etc etc. Browsers return "No data received" and I can't connect to web page.
I heard that other people have same problem. What is happening? Why is forum not working properly?
Old 07-21-2014, 11:13 AM
IBpark
Administrator

Originally Posted by scoobiemario
Every day , few times a day, RCU is not accessible. Tried different browsers, different physical locations to connect from, iPhone, PC's etc etc. Browsers return "No data received" and I can't connect to web page.
I heard that other people have same problem. What is happening? Why is forum not working properly?
Thank you for your report. Could you specify which browsers you were using? Also, when was the first time you've notice this problem?
Old 07-21-2014, 11:17 AM
IBobi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There have been scattered mini outages over the last few days. Tech is looking into replacing a server box. We'll have this resolved soon!
Old 07-21-2014, 11:54 AM
scoobiemario

Browsers were IE 11, Firefox, Chrome and Safari.
It's been happening for probably 2 weeks now.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:43 AM
AirmanBob
My Feedback: (14)

I agree with the above posters. Something is wrong with RCU. It's the slowest forum I've ever used and locks up frequently. I use a PC running IE11. I think RCU has been hacked by some sort of virus that slows the system down. DOS attack I think it's called.

Bob
Old 07-28-2014, 09:48 AM
IBobi

Originally Posted by AirmanBob
I agree with the above posters. Something is wrong with RCU. It's the slowest forum I've ever used and locks up frequently. I use a PC running IE11. I think RCU has been hacked by some sort of virus that slows the system down. DOS attack I think it's called.

Bob
If this were a DDOS attack the site would be down. At the time this issue was reported last week, there were a few outages and the site was "flapping". there are no widespread reports of performance issues at this time.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:51 AM
scoobiemario

Actually since I posted this thread, things got better. Let's hope it will stay like that
Old 07-28-2014, 01:25 PM
AirmanBob

Originally Posted by IBobi
If this were a DDOS attack the site would be down. At the time this issue was reported last week, there were a few outages and the site was "flapping". there are no widespread reports of performance issues at this time.
You seem a little defensive. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. Maybe DOS is the wrong term, but, something is definitely wrong with RCU. There were a couple of days where I even gave up trying to log on last week. Today it is still VERY slow.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:27 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

yeah, it has been rather slow and ungainly for a coupla weeks running now.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:29 PM
AirmanBob

Thumbs down RCU is a mess

RCU is still very slow and sluggish. It does not seem to be able to detect what operating system the users are using and displays things all wonky. Its almost impossible to go from one page to the next. Its obvious an alien species has taken over the site. And now... back to RC Groups.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:35 PM
IBobi

Originally Posted by AirmanBob
RCU is still very slow and sluggish. It does not seem to be able to detect what operating system the users are using and displays things all wonky. Its almost impossible to go from one page to the next. Its obvious an alien species has taken over the site. And now... back to RC Groups.
What OS and browser are you using? Do you have plugins running?
Old 08-07-2014, 02:57 PM
scoobiemario

Oh no. You used the "other" site name. You might get excommunicated.

But seriously. Rcu is slow. Noticeably slower that other rc and non rc pages.
Last week It was faster than this.

It it is not limited to one browser or operating system. Firefox, Chrome, safari. I use it on VERY FAST Internet connection at work, both wired and wireless, and fast connection at work.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:00 PM
IBobi

I know that our techs are adding a server to the windows (non-forum) side of the site to increase performance; are you seeing the slowness on forums, or everywhere else?
Old 08-07-2014, 03:09 PM
scoobiemario

I'm only using forums. So for me that's it. And it seems to vary too. This time and when posted previous thread it time was ok.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:25 PM
Sparhawk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, painful slow. Pictures take forever to load as well.
A person has no patience to wait for these forums to load. I used to frequent the Jet Forum, but now I will only check in every few days and won't linger if I have to watch the website stall...please get it fixed.

Dan
Old 10-16-2014, 08:35 PM
Rob2160

Just a bit of feedback.

I travel a lot with work and often access RCU from many different sources,e.g. hotel / airport wifi, local 3G and 4G cellular and with different devices iPad, iPhone, PC, Mac.

During a recent trip I was not able to access RCU at all across the South Pacific, using wifi cafe's and local 3G in Tahiti, Fiji, Noumea etc. The site was not available however all of my other regular sites worked normally. (Both other RC forums and non RC websites).

Granted there may not be any RC modellers in these locations but it happens in some hotels also in Australia and other places around the world.

Last edited by Rob2160; 10-16-2014 at 08:50 PM.