Forum questions or problems Post any questions about how to use the forum or any bugs/problems you may be having in this forum.

Possible Spam Posing as RC Universe

Reply

Old 06-12-2019, 12:17 PM
  #26  
kermet
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: AK, NEW ZEALAND
Posts: 109
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by IBobi View Post
The emails are sent from RCUniverse, and nobody's email addresses are being sold to any 3rd parties.

If you'd prefer not to get them, please use the "unsubscribe" link in the email.

Thanks all!
If I "unsubscribe" I will miss out on the more important emails from RCU, I just got the " your to fat" email today
kermet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:56 PM
  #27  
mongo
My Feedback: (14)
 
mongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Midland, TX
Posts: 2,676
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

what important emails from rcu?

i just have my mail server bounce all emails from rcu.
all the time.

so, i did not get the last one.
mongo is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:01 AM
  #28  
IBobi
Administrator
My Feedback: (1)
 
IBobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: El Segundo, CA
Posts: 892
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by kermet View Post
If I "unsubscribe" I will miss out on the more important emails from RCU, I just got the " your to fat" email today
It should not affect your forum subscriptions, etc.
IBobi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:54 PM
  #29  
kermet
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: AK, NEW ZEALAND
Posts: 109
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by IBobi View Post
It should not affect your forum subscriptions, etc.
what if RCU want to send out a email that is important like" your password needs changing" or whatever it will stop all emails from admin etc will it ?
kermet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:59 PM
  #30  
IBobi
Administrator
My Feedback: (1)
 
IBobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: El Segundo, CA
Posts: 892
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by kermet View Post
what if RCU want to send out a email that is important like" your password needs changing" or whatever it will stop all emails from admin etc will it ?
Should not affect password resets.
IBobi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:39 AM
  #31  
Thunder.gryphoN
My Feedback: (14)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wheeling, IL
Posts: 1
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

IBobi, hang your head in shame. You of all people, as an administrator, should know better than that.
If someone started forum posts like:
"Remove this from your refrigerator immediately"
"3 Signs you have a fatty liver"
"How to: get rid of deep fat from your belly"
"Veterinarian: add this one thing to your dog's food to help them be healthier"
"Power wash for your insides"
They would be instantly banned. These are all actual emails I received from RCU. None of that clickbait trash has any relevance to my hobbies.
This spam had me thinking that your servers were compromised or someone had been spoofing your emails, but if this is legitimately from your marketing department, that's just plain insulting.
Thunder.gryphoN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:27 PM
  #32  
VCScott
 
VCScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Valley Center, CA
Posts: 118
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I used to love RCU, it was the best! Then something changed, every one started complaining and leaving. I still check in and lurk some but something has been lost. I was hoping for a recovery but this new bizarre junk email stuff is a bad sign. I'll still look in now and then but will now mark RCU emails as spam.

Huh,, what happened to this place?
VCScott is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:56 PM
  #33  
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)
 
flyboy2610's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 508
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by VCScott View Post

Huh,, what happened to this place?
The love of money took over.
flyboy2610 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 03:51 PM
  #34  
mongo
My Feedback: (14)
 
mongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Midland, TX
Posts: 2,676
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

they say they have not sold our emails, but i can guarantee they sold something.
they are attempting to make money off us...
mongo is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:50 AM
  #35  
IBJoel
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 232
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by mongo View Post
they say they have not sold our emails, but i can guarantee they sold something.
they are attempting to make money off us...
All email campaigns are set-up in-house by our sales team. We don't sell email info.
IBJoel is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:18 AM
  #36  
IBobi
Administrator
My Feedback: (1)
 
IBobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: El Segundo, CA
Posts: 892
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Thunder.gryphoN View Post
IBobi, hang your head in shame. You of all people, as an administrator, should know better than that.
If someone started forum posts like:
"Remove this from your refrigerator immediately"
"3 Signs you have a fatty liver"
"How to: get rid of deep fat from your belly"
"Veterinarian: add this one thing to your dog's food to help them be healthier"
"Power wash for your insides"
They would be instantly banned. These are all actual emails I received from RCU. None of that clickbait trash has any relevance to my hobbies.
This spam had me thinking that your servers were compromised or someone had been spoofing your emails, but if this is legitimately from your marketing department, that's just plain insulting.
Thank you for your input.

The emails are legitimate and were sent by RCU.

You can opt out by clicking the "unsubscribe" link on the bottom of any email.

Sending these emails allows RCU to remain a free site. Please enjoy it!
IBobi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:28 PM
  #37  
mongo
My Feedback: (14)
 
mongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Midland, TX
Posts: 2,676
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

sending these emails is contributing to this site becoming a deserted site, sadly...
mongo is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:55 AM
  #38  
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)
 
JohnVH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Ferndale, WA
Posts: 16,109
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by VCScott View Post
I used to love RCU, it was the best! Then something changed, every one started complaining and leaving. I still check in and lurk some but something has been lost. I was hoping for a recovery but this new bizarre junk email stuff is a bad sign. I'll still look in now and then but will now mark RCU emails as spam.

Huh,, what happened to this place?
New owners not into RC
JohnVH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:10 AM
  #39  
stealth916
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 23
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

For 15+ years I have gotten RC Universe emails without complaint or having any thought of unsubscribing. That ends today. I don't need junk email with click-bait subject lines coming from forums I trust - I get plenty of that already from scammers and spammers.

Last edited by stealth916; 06-26-2019 at 08:18 AM.
stealth916 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service