Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > FPV, UAV & Drones
Reload this Page >

Building MQ-9 Drone

Community
Search
Notices
FPV, UAV & Drones Discuss all aspects of First Person View (FPV), Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) and Drones in this forum

Building MQ-9 Drone

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 02:45 PM
DroneGuy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building MQ-9 Drone

Hey y'all!

Thinking about building myself one of them MQ-9 Reaper drones. I have some parts, but need some help from you professionals out there. 

Parts:
Frame: http://www.nitroplanes.com/projet-drone-2500mm-kit.html
Engine: Help?
Gas tank .etc: Help?
AV Transmitter & Receiver: Help?
RC Transmitter & Receiver: Help?
RC and AV antennas: Help?

About the project:
This drone shall be used for airsoft. To observe enemies and such. I want to control it with a laptop, hooked up with a joystick. I will connect a servo to the camera housing, so that I will be able to look around with the drone. It needs really good range, since I will probably be flying pretty far. The reason I have chosen a fuel engine instead of an electric one, is that I can fill it up, and fly. This way I don't need to charge, or keep batteries in the field. Flight time is also increased. I also need a good GPS system on it. So I can make it fly a desired pattern, and so I can set it to drive the pattern when it's not in control by me. I expect to get a pretty hefty flight time with a fuel engine(?). I will control it from the back of a car, with the antennas upon the vehicle. I've seen examples of people achieving 38 hours of flight from a 28oz (2,3 liter) fuel tank, and a 4-stroke engine.  

All help is very appreciated!

Thanks,
DroneGuy
Old 02-03-2014, 12:42 PM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a electric only plane as it comes. It could be converted to use a very small gas engine but this would not be simple.

Range is of course limited to line of sight ( less than 2000' ).

There is no provision for a camera gimbal or pod mount but you could possibly make something up.