Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

Futaba radio repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 06:17 PM
AirmanBob
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba radio repair

Where can I get a Futaba 8UAPs transmitter repaired in the US?

I know Radio South does repairs but he now works full time for the AMA and its taking too much time to get my xmitter repaired.

Its kind of unfair that Futaba won't repair the radios they sell... Spektrum repairs theirs.

Surely there must be some one else doing this kind of service. Any idea's out there???

Bob

Last edited by AirmanBob; 10-06-2015 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:57 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Who said Futaba systems are not repaired? We have been performing repairs upon Futaba systems and components since 2000, when we became the Futaba Service Center in North America. Some items are not repaired because it costs less to replace them. It all depends upon what's wrong. If it's a non-warranty item, a new item may be offered when the repair cost is close to or exceeds the price of a new item.

Here's the reference for repair services:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/futa...r-service.html
Old 10-07-2015, 09:05 AM
AirmanBob

On Futaba's web site it gives a very long list of radio's they do not service any longer and suggests that you take it else where. Mine had two broken switches which I could easily have repaired my self but apparently Futaba does not sell parts either from what I've read on-line.

The only place in the whole world that can fix r/c radios is to busy to keep up (he has another full time job now) so I had to find another radio (same make and model) and purchase it. They will be returning my radio to me unrepaired.

Thanks for your reply,
Bob
Old 10-21-2015, 02:10 PM
AirmanBob

So basically, Futaba's policy is "we only work on our newest radios and you guys with older (8U) radios have to upgrade to the latest thing". My 8U is a great radio and works on 72mhz and 2.4ghz. It just does not make sense to me that I have to buy a new radio. I think you're all a bunch of uppity snobs at Futaba.

And, Radio South is a lost cause. He's too busy being an executive at AMA and does not have time to fix Futaba radios any more. So unless you own a very new Futaba radio you are basically on your own when it comes to repairs.

Spektrum does not seem to have any problems about fixing their radios. Yes, I own Spektrum too.

Bob
Old 10-22-2015, 07:41 AM
Bax

The Futaba 8U-series of transmitters went out of production around 1999 or 2000, when the 9C came out. We serviced it until around 1008 or 9. It's been well over 15 years since they were discontinued, and they are no longer supported by us or Futaba, Japan.

We provide support as long as it's possible.

Your first post did not state that you only need switches. Toggle switches have remained unchanged for most transmitters, and you can find them here:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=futaba+switch
Old 10-22-2015, 09:43 AM
AirmanBob

The 8U may be out of production but it is still basically the same as most new radios, it just does not have the fancy lcd screen. A good radio repair person should have no problems working on an older radio or a new radio.

You provide support 'as long as possible'? What is it that makes it impossible to support a product that Futaba built? Its like saying you can only fix 2014 Fords but you can't fix a 2001 Ford. It doesn't make any sense.

And now, the person you say can fix older Futaba's no longer has time to do so. So why don't you find some one who CAN fix older Futaba's since you choose not to fix them.

Yes, I can buy the switches, but they are mounted on printed circuit boards and require a lot more soldering ability than the average modeler cares to attempt.

It seems to me that since Radio South is so slow to repair Futaba radios that Futaba owes it to their customers to take up the slack and get back to repairing what they sell. You never know, it might encourage me to buy a newer Futaba...maybe.

Bob
Old 10-22-2015, 11:19 AM
Bax

Originally Posted by AirmanBob
What is it that makes it impossible to support a product that Futaba built?

Bob
Parts availability.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:45 PM
AirmanBob

Parts availability? You just earlier told me the parts are available at tower hobbies. So the parts ARE available.

Futaba is just trying to force me to buy their latest stuff. Its sort of like Microsoft is doing to the computer software business. They are forcing everyone to upgrade to win10. Well, some of us have to run Win7...

I really like my old 8UAPs radio and I'm determined to have it fixed. Its sad to find out that Futaba could care less.

What is comes down to is I can't afford a $500.00 radio and it would be dumb to buy one when all I need is two $7.00 switches installed. Sadly, I lack the skill to remove parts from a circuit board and then solder them back in. So I'm supposed to throw away the equivalent of an 8 channel $500.00 radio and then go buy a new 8 channel $500.00 dollar radio. That does not make sense to me.

Futaba is doing a huge disservice to their customers in my opinion.

Bob
Old 10-23-2015, 06:10 AM
Bax

The toggle switches that are available are items that fit quite a number of different transmitters, both current and discontinued. It's the same thing where a long-discontinued model engine has no true parts availability, but you can still get bearings because the bearings are of a common size and are used in a lot of current-production items. Parts specific to the engine (or transmitter in your case) are not available.

It's an unfortunate fact of life, but you have a transmitter that was discontinued nearly two decades ago. It's just not possible to offer support for all units forever. To expect such is really not realistic.

This thread has been taken as far as it can go, so I'm closing it.