Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

Proper Flap Setup on an 18SZ

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 07:44 PM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Proper Flap Setup on an 18SZ

I think I have totally confused myself on this one.....

The plane is an Aero-Works Sport Cub with 2 Aileron Servos, 2 Flap Servos, and 2 Elevator Servos.

I am attempting to setup the flaps on the plane to have neutral, 1/2 and Full controlled via a switch.

What is the correct mix to use and how do I get the elevators to automatically move to cancel out the attitude change with flap deployment. Additionally, I want to slow the flap servos down and have the elevator auto correction match this slow movement. I can easily slow the flaps but the elevators snap into position causing a brief dive until the flaps catch up.

I have read the manual a few times, and played with the radio, and I can't figure it out. I think I should be using Camber Flaps, but is the Flap and Flap2 in the radio or CMB.

Thanks for any help,

Phil
Old 10-19-2015, 10:24 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Futaba calls Flaps "Camber" in the different mixers.

First, you'd set up your wing type to be "2 Aileron 1 Flap" or "2 Aileron 2Flaps". The second wing type has a separate servo on each control surface.

Put the flap control on the desired slider, knob, or switch. For "Flaps up-Flaps 1/2-Flaps down", you want a 3-position switch. Put the switch in the center position and adjust the flaps linkages to have them deflect to the "1/2-Flaps" position. Move the switch to "Flaps up" and adjust the endpoint to have the flaps in the stowed position. Move the switch to "Flaps Down" and adjust the other endpoint to suit.

Now use the Camber Flap->elevator mixer to adjust the amount of elevator compensation for the flap positions.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:06 AM
Pull Up Now!
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bill, are you serious about this? No other way? I've been wondering about adjusting the mid position on a 3 way switch. I spend more than $900 for my 18SZ, and I have to do a MECHANICAL adjustment of the flap mid position? This is really outrageous......$200 Spektrum radios allow electronic adjustment of this mid switch position. The only reason I switched to Futaba is my planes, on Spektrum, kept falling out of the sky. They have a serious unacknowledged issue with their signal integrity (that's why their new stuff advertises diversity antenna on their transmitters...). I'm also borderline offended to spend $200 on a GPS speed sensor for my jet to find out that sensor wipes out 8 channels of a receiver. No other company does this. Why didn't Futaba put a serial protocol on one channel? Most data updates don't require such speed that they'd need to occupy each their own channel.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:03 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

First off, on ANY airplane, you must set things us mechanically correct before doing any electronic settings. This gets you the maximum use of the system. When setting up controls, you set the trims and subtrims to zero, and then mechanically adjust the controls to as close to being perfectly centered as possible. You also adjust the position of the pushrod clevises so that you have control throws as close to perfect as possible. When you have the mechanics set up properly, you then adjust the electronics to fine-tune the movements that the mechanical adjustments cannot reach.

You cannot just throw on the pushrods with the servos in any position and the control rod at any length and rely on the electronics to save you. You always need to have things as mechanically correct as possible before adjusting the electronics. That gets you the best resolution of the system.

The GPS sensor does not use 8 receiver channels. It used 8 telemetry "slots", and does not affect control functions or channels. You've misinterpreted this. There are 32 telemetry slots in the system, and the GPS sensor uses 8 of them.

You can set up flaps so that the AFR curve goes from 0 on one side to 100 on the other with the center at about 50 (+/- percentages determine direction of movement). However, you'll still have to get the mechanics set up correctly to have things work well.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:19 AM
modtron

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I would add that it would be worth looking at the manual and setting up some servo's on a bench to see for yourself what can be achieved.
All of the adjustments are in there, you just need to learn how to use them.
What you are trying to do can be done in many ways, given some patience.

modtron
Oxford UK
Old 11-29-2018, 01:41 AM
Andreo2e

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello.
I have T-16SZ which has (my opinion) almost the same software as 18SZ.
I have the same problems as SunDevilPilot.
I have flaps on 3-way switch and configured Chamber flap -> Elevator mix to lower elevator on extending flaps. Also, I have set slow down extending flaps speed to make flaps more realistic.
Flaps works great, however the elevator lowering speed is not proper. The elevator is moving to configured position in one step and not follows the speed of flap - slowly moves to configured position.

How can I setup elevator on my Futaba to follows the flap speed?

Thanks in advance for answer!

Br,
Andreo
Old 11-29-2018, 08:57 PM
FUTABA-RC

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I use a FLAP->ELEV Program Mix. Set curve type to POINT and you can custom set the elevator compensation.